024

Rogue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
24

  

Chanyeol looked like he’d been getting ready for a shower when Miran knocked on his door, if the non-existent shirt and the towel around his shoulders were anything to go by.

She pushed past him and shut the door behind her, trying to resist the urge to hug herself and shiver.  He just stared at her in bewilderment.

“Somebody broke into my apartment,” she said in a thin voice when she realised she really ought to explain what she was doing.

Chanyeol took it very calmly, glancing between her and the door.  “Are they still there?”

Miran shook her head.

“Is anything missing?”

She shook her head again.  “Things were moved around, but I couldn’t see anything that was gone.  And the pictures in the hallway were broken.  It freaked me out.”

Chanyeol looked between her and the door again.  “And… have you called the police?”

Miran nodded.  “Can I stay over?  My apartment’s a crime scene at the moment.”

As though it was a completely regular occurrence for a woman to knock on his door and request a place to sleep, Chanyeol nodded and shrugged and pointed in the direction of the kitchen.

“Help yourself to food.  I’m just going to go shower, but the sofa pulls out into a bed and there’s bed linen and pillows in the cupboard just off the living room.  Make yourself at home.”

Miran was doing exactly that when Chanyeol emerged from the bathroom ten minutes later, still lacking a shirt and towelling his hair dry.  He popped his head into the living room.

“Do you have clothes?” he asked.

Miran threw him a puzzled look.  “I’m wearing them.”

“To sleep in.  Or for tomorrow.”

“Oh.”  Miran’s eyes widened.  “No, no I don’t.  The police wouldn’t allow me to take anything with me just in case.  You know.  For evidence.”

He nodded and disappeared again.  A few minutes later, a pile of clothing landed on the sofa-bed.

“I don’t think I have anything that’ll fit you for tomorrow, but feel free to borrow whatever to sleep in!” he called from the doorway, where he’d thrown the clothes from.  “Do you need anything else?”

Miran straightened up, already with an eye on the t-shirts and lounge trousers he’d loaned her.  “A toothbrush and toothpaste would be nice, if you have spares.”

“Sure.”  He gave her a thumbs up and ducked back out.

  

Chanyeol handled gatecrashers in his home like it was completely run-of-the-mill, Miran concluded the next morning when he woke her up an hour before they needed to leave for work.  A towel was on the nearby chair along with a host of other toiletries, and she gratefully slipped into the bathroom to make use of them.

“You know, before,” said Miran around a mouthful of cereal as they both sat eating breakfast at the kitchen table a little while later, “when Soojung first told me she was worried about information going missing and ending up with the government and that she was worried Changmin might be in on it, I thought that was a wholly separate issue.”

“And now you don’t.”  Chanyeol nodded and reached for the milk.

“No.”  Miran shoved her cereal around her bowl with her spoon.  “I mean, why would a mole sell information to the side they’re pertaining to be on?  But then, this is very obviously an attempt to stage a coup and get rid of the COO.  That would definitely benefit the other side, but doing it this way doesn’t make it look like an outside job, so to speak.”

“Then do you think all four people you heard will all be traitors?”

“No, of course not.  The rogue’s just using them.  The sentiment’s there; why not tap into it?”

“Do you think it might be Changmin, then?  Or Changmin might be the rogue’s sidekick, or that he is the rogue and one of his sidekicks was also there?”

“It’s a possibility.”  Miran sighed.  “I mean, when you look at the night Oh Sehun died… not to mention, if there’s more than one person like we think there is, it could easily be somebody like Kim Jongin or Kim Minseok who he’s…”

She trailed off, staring at the cereal floating in her bowl.

“There has to be more than one person unless it’s the COO and he can split himself into multiple places at once,” said Chanyeol flatly.  He glanced sharply up at her.  “That must be what they’re aiming for, mustn’t it?  Getting a puppet or a double agent right up at the top.”

It was a thought that had briefly occurred to Miran and one that she really didn’t want to entertain.  She hummed softly.

“Changmin and Kyuhyun are both tipped for promotion,” Chanyeol murmured, almost to himself.  “Boa too.  I’m sure there were others on the list too, but they were the ones I recognised when I saw it.  It was a while back, so it was before we’d really started on profiling everybody properly.”

  

Miran’s entire unit was surprised when she turned up in training kit that morning.  Woohyun and Key both blinked themselves distinctly more awake than normal.  Yeri did a double-take and stared.  Kyungsoo stopped on his way to his cubicle with his coffee in one hand and a newspaper in the other.

“I hope you’re not planning on training today,” he said with clear disapproval.  “At least give your head another twenty-four hours.”

“Did you sleep in those?” was all Yeri seemed capable of asking.

Miran grimaced, effectively shutting Woohyun and Key up before they could open their mouths.  “Somebody broke into my apartment yesterday, so it’s currently a crime scene and this is all I have to wear.”

“God,” said Kyungsoo.  “Are you all right?”

Nodding, Miran sighed.  “It happened before I got back, so the first thing I did was ring the police and then packed myself off to a friend for the night.”  Ordinarily, she would have mentioned who that friend was, but the very last thing she wanted was for dating rumours to spring up between her and Chanyeol.  She needed to be able to work with him without things getting awkward.

“If you need anything,” said Key, recovering, “just tell us, yeah?”

A number of days ago, Miran would have taken that at face value, but she hesitated a little before nodding her thanks.  Whatever else he was up to, Kim Jongin was right that the paranoia was getting to her.

  

Kim Jongdae greeted Miran with a cheerful wave when she took a break and went down to forensics.

“I’m not completely done on the tests yet,” he told her, “but I take it you’re here because you spoke to Chanyeol?”

Miran nodded.  Jongdae nodded back and moved a haphazard pile of printed reports from tests from a chair so she could sit down.

“Well, nothing’s changed from yesterday,” he said, sitting opposite her and turning a computer screen towards her.  “If you look at what we’ve so far got, this pretty clearly corresponds to this.”

He pointed first at the window on the left half of the screen, which had a title of Sample at the top, and then to the window on the right, which was headed by Kim Minseok.

“I’ve put it through the DNA database of all our agents and it’s the closest match.  I doubt we’ll get closer.”

Miran nodded again.

“Are you planning to file?” Jongdae asked her.

“Huh?”  Miran glanced from him to the computer screen.  “File what?”

“File for charges,” Jongdae said.  “Or at least report for disciplinary matters.”

Miran considered for a moment and then heaved a sigh.

“Probably not yet,” she admitted.  “There’s stuff that doesn’t yet add up.  I mean…”  She waved a hand at the screen.  “This is relatively conclusive that he was around, but it’s not conclusive that he hit me or necessarily even put me down in the bathroom.  He could have done one, or none, or both.  But it also could have been planted.  Kim Junmyeon told me that Ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter