017

Rogue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
17

  

Miran ended up going to the shooting range to clear her head and keep her temper down.  She selected a small-bore for familiarity rather than the pistol she desperately needed practice with, and settled on the ground at forty yards from the target, standing her bullets up on their tails beside her.

The breathing exercises took a while to kick in and calm her down because her mind was racing, and after three shots went awry because she couldn’t quieten her mind, no matter how much she tried to focus, she decided to attempt filtering the turmoil by allowing herself one thought per shot.  Hopefully, it would allow her to order her information.

There is a mole, she told herself, starting right back at the beginning.  The bullet hit bullseye.

The mole killed Oh Sehun at 23.40 on the day he arrived here.  Her second shot tore through the hole the first had created, leaving no discernable difference in size.  Miran paused before reloading, wondering if it was best to go forward or back in time.

She settled for back.  Chronology might help her make sense of things.

Worries about a mole were first raised when the post for external-foreign operations that Kangta now holds were opened up.

What first caused those concerns, though, Miran wondered.  And Kangta’s predecessor – had he left all things being equal, or had he been forced out, or discredited?  That was something she was going to have to look into, and— focus, Miran!  Exhaling, she squeezed the trigger and reached for another bullet.

Wait, Yerim joins.  How does that correspond to the post opening up?  That was something she was going to have to check, she mused, reloading again.

Kyungsoo has the biggest unit with the best field agents, and they all start dying shortly before he’s potentially appointed to Kangta’s position.  Another bullseye.

Evidence points towards Minji, but Kyungsoo doesn’t want to believe it.  Miran sighed as she reloaded.

Minji attempts to commit suicide and Key finds her in the cyanide lab.  With a frown, Miran plucked up another bullet.  What did Key do that gave him regular access to the cyanide lab?

But that was beside the point.  She focussed on the target again.  Minji evidently wasn’t the mole because things kept happening and agents kept getting killed.

Kyungsoo realises the mole is Yerim and tries to ensure he has concrete evidence against her.  Miran slotted in yet another bullet and squinted at the target.

Yerim gets killed.  The bullet missed the previous streak of bullseyes and Miran cursed.  Laying the gun aside for a moment, she propped herself up on her eylbows and brushed her hair back out of her eyes.  Wait, I forgot one.  Kyungsoo’s fob key gets stolen.  She shot another bullet for good measure.

Oh Sehun turns up with a memory stick to turn himself in.  Miran focussed on the target again, finger curled around the trigger, but she didn’t shoot.  He gets killed by the rogue.  Kyungsoo’s card is used to access the building not long before.  There is also a massive powercut round about the time it happens.  She set the gun aside.  Her mind was beginning to race again.  They were going to need alibis for pretty much every single person who had worked in the building that day, not just for the ones Changmin and Kyungsoo had tagged.  If the rogue knew that the electronic gates at the entrance of the building were down, they could have gone through the barriers back and forth at leisure.  It would depend on what kind of EMP had been used and where the generator was, but it was plausible that the EMP had been set off outside the building.  However, if the rogue had gone in through the carpark, it didn’t make sense that the electronics there hadn’t been taken out too.

There was also the question of—

A touch on her shoulder made her jump, and she whipped over to sit up on her backside, rifle in front of her and jammed under Jaejoong’s jaw.

Jaejoong took a nervous peek downwards, but relaxed when he saw that her finger wasn’t on the trigger and motioned for her to take her earmufflers off.

“Jeez, you scared me,” he said, audibly shaken.  “The disciplinary panel is requesting your presence.  Floor five, room twenty.  They want you there as soon as possible.”

Miran lowered the gun.

“Jaejoong,” she said slowly.  “What are the emergency procedures like when there’s a powercut here?  Or the building’s on fire, or something?”

He looked totally baffled at the change of subject as he stood back to allow her to get to her feet.

“Exit the building immediately,” he said.  “The fire alarm goes off when there’s a powercut of more than a few seconds because of the way the circuits are wired.  A team of three people per floor are required to sweep to ensure that nobody remains and there’s a team of twenty assigned bodyguards, made up of the official bodyguards and select personelle and agents here, who are required to stand duty by the door to ensure nobody enters, unless it’s too dangerous to remain near the building.  Why?”

Miran ignored the question.  “Are you one of either team?”

“I’m one of both.”

Miran nodded to herself and hoisted the gun up over her shoulder, stretching.  “Were you in the building the night Oh Sehun was killed, then?”

“Yes.  Had to stand duty on the doors for hours before the electrics were restored.  Somebody had taken out the EMP in the basement.”

Sensing an opportunity to dive more into the realms of physical security and get one or two of her questions answered, Miran pressed on.  “And do you think that the EMP was used inside or outside the building?”

“It has to have been inside.  The generator’s in the bunker we use for electronics – there’s absolutely no way anybody could have targeted it from outside.  They probably would have had to have been directly above it, no further up than the ground floor.  You’ve got the cells and this shooting range between the bunker and the ground floor.”

Miran pursed her lips, considering.  If the rogue had to have been inside, then why had Kyungsoo’s missing fob card been used in the garage just when everybody was exiting the building?  Did that mean that the rogue had been sent out with the crowd and had to re-enter, or that somebody else had set off the EMP and the rogue had come in separately?

Come to that—

“Is there a way down to the cells in the basement other than the lift?”

“Classified,” Jaejoong responded at once.

Obviously, there had to be stairs for fire safety reasons.

“And who’s permitted to know the location or existence of those stairs?”

Jaejoong just looked at her.  “I’m not at liberty to say.”

Perhaps it was a better idea to ask the COO.  Miran nodded.  Jaejoong quietly reached out and relieved her of her rifle.  “Go on.  Chaerin doesn’t like to be kept waiting.”

  

There was a little lobby outside room twenty on the fifth floor.  Kyungsoo was sitting on the only plastic chair, leaning forwards with his elbows on his knees and his chin in his hands, staring into space.  Woohyun was pacing frantically.  Miran looked from one to the other.

“What’s going on?”

“Chaerin wants a personal recounting of what happened when we went bowling,” Kyungsoo said in a quiet voice.

“From us three?”

“From everybody who knew Hyeri.”

The door opened and Yeri stepped out, biting her lip.  She gestured to Woohyun, who practically bolted into the room.

“Key’s not here yet?” Yeri asked.  Kyungsoo shook his head, even though it was obvious.  Yeri sighed and exited, presumably to find him.

An awkward silence settled on the room.  Miran wondered if it was worth trying to talk to Kyungsoo, because he looked fairly out of it, and concluded it probably wasn’t.  He didn’t make any efforts at conversation either.

Eventually, Woohyun came out, just as jittery as before, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter