29. Friday Blues

Blood Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double update if you haven't read chapter 28 yet.

 

Thursday ended very badly.  Sehun thought he’d managed to calm himself down and that Weiyi hadn’t noticed his nightmares, but when he screamed himself awake a second time that night to find her pinning him on the bed and splinters in the back of his hand from hitting the nightstand too hard as he struggled in his sleep, he knew he was probably going to have to spend Sunday with Chanyeol.

Scratch that.  After practically attacking Weiyi because his terrified mind thought that it was Luhan pinning him down again and phantoms of his imagination saw Byun Baekhyun with a knife and a lighter in the background, he was definitely going to have to spend Sunday with Chanyeol.

Sehun and Weiyi ended up on opposite sides of the room, Weiyi cowering behind the desk as Sehun tried frantically to assemble his thoughts.  Shakily, he got to his feet and approached the desk, but a sharp flinch from Luhan’s sister brought him to a halt as quickly as if he’d been slammed into a brick wall.

“Weiyi,” he croaked out in Korean, because he figured it was more likely to get a response, “I’m so sorry.”

It was a moment or two before she peeked around the corner of the desk.  Sehun carefully sat down to make himself seem less threatening: he knew that his height could sometimes intimidate people.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

Her neutral expression morphed into a glare and he noticed her clutching at herself.

“What did my brother do to you?” she demanded bitterly in Mandarin.  Sehun felt his blood run cold.

This was going to be a problem.

This was going to be a big problem.  He’d known she was smart and perceptive, but she’d figured out much more than he’d thought she would, and he didn’t even know if it was his place to explain.

Well, he definitely could explain – he was well within his rights to tell her that her brother had tried to kill his sister and had him kidnapped and tortured – but she had seemed so excited about meeting her brother, and he could only imagine the damage it would cause to her budding relationship with Luhan.  Not to mention the whole reason he was looking after her was to get her safely to her brother, and he wasn’t sure how berserk Luhan would go if his sister disowned him.  The man was putting everything on the line just to see his sister, after all, and it was possible he might cooperate with what Lay wanted if he got to see her and had a happy meeting with her, and that, with any luck, would include bringing down Mighty Mouth.  He’d go completely rogue if that was taken away from him.

“It was a long time ago now,” he mumbled, because “nothing” clearly wasn’t going to cut it.  “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

Weiyi looked like she didn’t believe him for a second, but she didn’t say anything else, so Sehun assumed the subject had been dropped.

Then she straightened up, clutching her arm (which, Sehun thought with a pang of horror and guilt, he had probably hit when he was trying to get free), and made her way over to her bed again.

“Luhan will tell me,” she muttered, reaching for her phone.

Alarm shot through Sehun and he lunged to his feet.  “No – don’t!”

Weiyi turned to him, distressed and confused, and he froze again, hand stretched towards her phone.

“Why?” she demanded in Korean.  “He hurt you!”

This will hurt you more, Sehun wanted to tell her.  Please, please, please don’t do this.  But that was only going to make her more persistent and more curious.

“I’ve told you,” he said instead, “it was a long time ago.  It doesn’t matter now, and besides, Luhan will be asleep.  Just leave it, please.”

Weiyi looked far from happy, but she did at least put the phone down.

It didn’t stop Sehun sending an SOS to Minseok for damage control after she’d fallen asleep.

Friday’s troubles began when a frantic Luhan rang Minseok at work.  He’d been asleep when Minseok had left for the police station, so Minseok had left a post-it note based on Sehun’s short message explaining that Weiyi wanted to know what the beef between Sehun and her brother was.

Luhan was practically in tears.  “Xiumin, what do I do?  She won’t stop calling, but if I tell her, she’s going to hate me!”

Minseok excused himself from the office and went to find a secluded area so that he could talk properly.

“You’re going to have to tell her something,” he pointed out.

“How can I?  What’s she going to think when she discovers I’m practically the same as the man who kept her prisoner her entire life?”

“You don’t necessarily need to tell her all of that – not right this moment.  All she knows right now is that you’ve traumatised Sehun.  But trust

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter