24. The Babysitter

Blood Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi came over on the Saturday night, to the absolute delight of the two children.  Minseok nearly got mown down by an ecstatic Jaehwan, who was tugging Seulgi off towards the kitchen before she could even greet Minseok or ask him where Semi was, babbling something about his ability to make dolphins out of bananas.  Chuckling, Minseok followed them through.

There was momentary calm as Jaehwan found his banana and set to work, only to be distracted by Jaera popping up from under the table and complaining that she was hungry and trying to eat it, which led to the pair of them running around the room with Jaehwan sticking his tongue out and blowing raspberries, and Minseok took the opportunity to explain which food was for whom, since he and Semi were going out that night for an anniversary dinner and Seulgi annually took up the responsibility of babysitting.  She was aware Luhan was in the house, and so happy to take the couch to allow Minseok and Semi to stay out as long as possible, and then was going to stay with Lay for the remainder of the week.  Jongdae had been in two minds about having Seulgi to stay with him – there was technically space on the sofa since Sungjong was taking up the guest room, and Lay didn’t have a spare room so Seulgi would be sofa-surfing anyway, but they’d all agreed at the police station that Sungjong was to be kept as secret as possible for his own sake as much as anybody else’s.

“I really don’t mind,” Seulgi insisted to Minseok before leaning forward over the table.  “Is it actually true that Yixing is a confirmed bachelor, though?”

She looked rather hopeful for the answer no.  Laughing, Minseok dumped a spatula and a chopping knife in the sink.  “Ask your uncle.”

“He said he doesn’t want me hitting on his boss.”

“Jaejae my food!” Jaera wailed plaintively from the doorway before a cough announced the presence of Luhan to the room and she lost interest in the banana dolphin in favour of easier prey.  When she wrapped her arms tightly around one of Luhan’s legs, he glanced down in surprise and it was almost possible to label the scene cute – until she bit his knee.  Luhan let out a yelp.

“I need painkillers,” he said in a strained voice, “and another of those tetanus shots.  Maybe two so I can have one for my leg as well.”

Jaera unlatched her teeth from Luhan’s leg long enough to look up at the man and say, “Bang bang.  Bye.”  Luhan gave an enormous grimace as she bit him again.

“Jaera!” Minseok exclaimed, appalled, as Seulgi tried to hide her laughter.  “Behave!”

“Luhan bad,” the two-year-old insisted adamantly in a muffled voice.  “Rara catched Luhan for Dada.”

“Okay, okay,” Seulgi butted in.  “Rara, do you want something to eat?  Say, something really tasty cooked by your dad?  I’m sure it’ll taste a lot better than Luhan’s pyjamas.”

Jaera looked dubious, but Seulgi clapping her hands and holding them out to the child, the bangles on her wrist clinking and glinting in the light, seemed to sway her, and she trotted over and meekly allowed herself to be lifted into her highchair, only to protest when Jaehwan ran past, his banana dolphin now apparently an aeroplane.  Seulgi managed to distract her with a hastily rustled up bowl of soup, and Minseok was able to turn his attention to Luhan and get the medication for him.

“Where are you off to?” Luhan asked, slumping against the wall as Minseok drew him a glass of water.  “You’re dressed up all smart.”  He pointed a vague hand at Minseok’s suit and dark red tie.

“There’s a really nice little traditional restaurant not far away from work, so I’m taking Semi out to dinner.”

“What’s the occasion?”

“We’re celebrating our anniversary.”

Luhan took the water off him and quickly swallowed the painkillers.  “But you got married in winter.”

“We celebrate on the date I got let out of prison.”  Minseok flushed a little and looked away, suddenly absorbed in preparing the shot that Luhan needed to take.  Luhan’s attention was more taken by the appearance of Semi in a wine-red dress that matched Minseok’s tie.  She was wrapping a shawl around her bare shoulders as she breezed into the kitchen with a “Minseok, honey, is Seulgi—?” before pouncing on her friend with a squeal that had Jaehwan complaining both his parents were really embarrassing.

“Wow,” said Luhan, staring after her.  “She actually looks pretty beautiful.”

Minseok went bright right and he very nearly dropped the syringe.

“And you’re still totally whipped,” Luhan added.  He rolled up his sleeve and presented his arm to Minseok, who tried to calm down before administering the medication.  “Look, life choices and whatever, she clearly makes you happy, but how on earth did you convince her to stay with you after your track record?”

“I don’t know,” Minseok mumbled, ears still pink as he put the used syringe away.

“Or was it the kid?” Luhan tacked on as an afterthought.  “I mean, you must have slept with her literally the day before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter