VI

Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Oasis

 

Silence drenches the space between the two men, nothing but an enigmatic tension of unsaid words and the clear disparity drawing circles in the ambience. Youngjae slowly lifts his head and looks Daehyun straight in the eye, blinking once. 

A favour. What could Daehyun possibly want from someone of the lowest echelon? There is nothing Youngjae can offer. Not wealth, not brawn, not rank—only his body. Is this why Daehyun came all the way over in the night? Because Daehyun showed mercy and 'nicely' allowed Youngjae to persist in his pretense, he has come to finally seek his reward. To even phrase it into a request, how laughable. Putting up a polite facade of formalities when all he wants to do is physically take advantage of Youngjae.

They stare wordlessly at one another as the vexation seeps into Youngjae's skin, waiting on the edge of his seats for the disgusting words to malevolently coil out of Daehyun's mouth. Yet, all Daehyun does is emit a frazzled sigh and glances away. It's sickening that Daehyun dare act coy in front of him as if he's just another one of those stupid, enchanted Omegas yearning for the fairy tale love mothers vomited to their poor, gullible children.

Youngjae isn't stupid. He's far from it. He has clawed his way up, torn limb by limb, broken rib with ripped femurs, to get to where he is. While people like Daehyun were served everything on a silver plate, Youngjae had to go through hell to get even an inch closer to where Daehyun laid. And he thinks he can just barge in here and demand Youngjae's body in exchange for his cover-up?

Not all Alphas are monsters.

The reminder of Minki hiding in his bedroom constricts Youngjae's throat and he controls his shaking fists underneath the table. Daehyun deviates his sharp gaze back and clears his throat, inhaling deeply.

"My mother," Daehyun starts, meeting Youngjae's eyes as the Omega sceptically scrutinises him. They simmer back into a thoughtful silence, Daehyun ruminating on his words to come.

"He wants to visit the beach."

Youngjae maintains eye contact as his brows knit together, questioning Daehyun non-verbally. His mother wants to go to the beach? What the hell does this have to do with him? If Daehyun wants to set a trap, he should at least have the common sense to make it believable.

Daehyun seems to give up on elaborating and returns to eating, their previous exchange loitering like casual chit-chat. Youngjae grits his teeth and resounds as calmly as he can, "Your mother?"

Daehyun takes a scoop, chewing slowly and placing down his utensils. He wipes his mouth and returns, "Yes. My mother wants to go to the beach." He raises his head and locks eyes with Youngjae, continuining, "Due to... circumstances, I can't bring him there himself."

Quizzically, Youngjae rebounds, "What do you mean, Mr. Jung?"

"My mother," Daehyun pauses, letting out another lengthy exhale, "suffers from dementia." Daehyun's unbreakable poise seems to soften at this moment as he coughs, a hint of foreign uncertainty dabbed onto his movements. Yet his strict gaze sends Youngjae shrinking back once again, his charisma inciting bitterness in Youngjae. The confidence is not an inherent trait but a naturally bred one, since of course, Daehyun has likely lived his life from the moment he was born as though he was on the top of the world—which is arguably correct.

"He needs someone—besides me—to accompany him," Daehyun vaguely explains as he resumes his eating. "I'm hoping you will be able to help. But please do not feel obliged to, Mr. Yoo. I understand you need time to consider."

Youngjae narrows his eyes as he attempts to dissect the possible pitfalls and insinuations lacing Daehyun's sly words. It would not be beyond Daehyun to manipulate his mother in order to make things seem civil. It makes no sense—if Daehyun needs someone to accompany his mother, why would he choose Youngjae of all people? It is evident Daehyun can easily recruit a caretaker to assist his mother.

He must really be mocking Youngjae's intelligence. Youngjae his head one side and presses sarcastically, "Why me, then, Mr. Jung?"

Daehyun halts in his minstrations and places the spoon back down. His characteristic tight-lipped, staunch expression hardens even further and he provides after a pregnant pause, "My mother wants... an Omega to accompany him."

The moment Daehyun mentions the taboo rank Youngjae has avoided at all costs to be associated with him, Youngjae freezes, like the word had snapped his hamstring and tore cold reality into his oxygen. His blood turns cold and he bores his eyes through Daehyun, demanding to know if it's a sick joke. If perhaps Daehyun had come simply to taunt him, and this is his tormenting, backhanded way of doing so, subtly digging into Youngjae's sanity.

"His current caretaker is unvailable. It's not ideal for me to solicit an outsider." Youngjae gradually veers his gaze back to Daehyun, the man opposite him firmly returning the stare. Daehyun explains further, "You were largely the only option I had left."

Youngjae keeps mum. Almost as if intuitively, Daehyun visibly frowns and states, "I have no hidden agenda, Mr. Yoo. I came just to ask for a favour: if you would bring my mother to the beach."

There are so many holes in Daehyun's proposition and his illogical reasoning. Why would Daehyun not be able to accompany his mother to the beach on his own? Is he not able to hire an Omega caretaker for his mother? Why would his mother ask for an Omega to take care of him?

Stillness stands vigilantly between the two men, Youngjae's mind drifting off to the third, hidden presence. From what Daehyun had said, he certainly knows there is someone else in the house, which means Minki is additionally endangered. The sinking feeling submerges Youngjae into somber thoughts and brings back his envisioning of today's events—after such a traumatic incident, Minki had to return on his own without the protection and care of a spouse long overdue.

Sure, a part of him had believed it was for the best, because he had long ago suspected himself as the reason why Minki did not seek out a husband. But he had settled with just being happy Minki was not dating an Alpha. None of those filthy creatures would be able to treat him right, but today had proved him wrong. As much as Youngjae could pay for them both and pull off the act of being an Alpha, he was all worthless paper mache, a flourishing and irksomely fraudulent fortressing housing a boy who could easily find a concrete castle to ensconce himself in.

Youngjae can well imagine what will happen if he rejects Daehyun. Putting Minki in danger is out of the question. Youngjae's shoulders fall and he sighs frailly.

"You are asking I accompany your mother to the beach now, Mr. Jung?" Youngjae feebly resounds. Daehyun's eyes briefly illuminate and the man returns, "...If it's possible. I know this is very abrupt. I'm sorry."

Who is Daehyun kidding? This request is laughable and makes absolutely no sense. As if his 'mother' is so desperate to go to the beach in the night. For what reason, even? To take a swim? Youngjae wants to cackle in Daehyun's face, cackle hard and loud because Daehyun thinks he's a goddamn idiot. It's the stereotype, after all. Omegas are all beauty and no brains, dumbly following their Alphas' every command.

Daehyun's phone rings at this moment and Daehyun apologises, Youngjae curtly shaking his head and allowing Daehyun to take the call. Daehyun rises and turns away, grunting, "Yes?"

A blaring, screeching noise reverberates over the line, startling Youngjae as Daehyun flinches and dials down the volume. "Is Mother-" He halts again, his turned stature and the toned down voice leaving Youngjae to guess that another bout of that shrill sound had transpired.

"He still wants to?" Daehyun glances behind to Youngjae for a moment before he continues, "No." His anatomy visibly tenses and he cuttingly answers, "Do not use the sedatives, Yongguk." He lets out a low growl after a long moment. "His dependence will only get worse. It's because he's been fed so much of it that this is happening."

"I can't hear you. Yonghwa and Byunghee left for the pub? Is Father home?" Youngjae observes wordlessly as he squints at the man before him, attempting to decipher his intentions. Is the phone call staged? The paranoia bites at his nerve but he wills it away, reminding himself that as long as Minki is here, he must not pose any sort of harm to him.

"...I will be back soon. Keep Mother in his room. Do not use the tranquilisers, Yongguk. I've made myself clear." Daehyun cuts the call and lingers for a moment before veering back. He sits down and apologises lowly, returning to eating. His pace is slower and after a while, he leans back into his chair, evidently brooding with his troubled expression.

The momentary naivete rises in Youngjae and he crushes it back down instantaneously, warning himself not to let his guard down. Daehyun finishes the last few morsels on his plate and rasps, "Thank you for the meal. Compliments to... the one who made it." Youngjae locks his jaw and he instinctively shifts, back angled slightly more towards the bedroom door.

"I shall take my leave. I apologise for suddenly intruding." He straightens out his vest and flatly surmises, "I hope you will consider my request, but I understand if you are unwilling." The moment Daehyun shifts, Youngjae impulsively shoots up, warily watching the other's movements. Judging from Daehyun's size, he doesn't know if he and Minki can overpower him, especially with Minki so weak and fragile. Even if they do, the consequences afterwards is a whirring headache to think of.

"I will go with you, Mr. Jung," Youngjae asserts, stepping forward in order to subtly bring Daehyun towards the door. Daehyun regards him with a surprised look.

"You are willing?" Daehyun melts into a scrutinising frown, glancing behind for a moment and instantly igniting caution in the Omega. Youngjae nods and takes another step forward despite the anxiety dancing upon his fingers.

"Are you sure?" Daehyun counters. "If you accept, you are to keep our arrangement wholly confidential."

Youngjae suspiciously mulls over Daehyun's words, more horrid, slimy conjectures creeping into his train of thought. However, he does not falter in nodding. "I understand, Mr. Jung. I would like to help you."

The silence bridges their analysing gazes, both men wrapped up in six feet deep thoughts. Daehyun clears his throat.

"Alright, then, Mr. Yoo. Thank you."

 

--

 

The city lights splash fleetingly against the windscreen along with the night's tranquility and rev of the engine. The neon tints of red, green and yellow blinds Youngjae ever so momentarily, inertia chaining his mind back to home. He had sent Minki a message before leaving and Minki had replied, but he had not gotten the chance to read it since he did not want to risk doing so in Daehyun's presence.

Savoir faire imbues itself into every inch of the vehicle, nothing but classy varnish and slick angles embodying Daehyun's upper-class status. The seatbelt digs into Youngjae's car and holds him still despite his imagination running rampant. Daehyun will take him some place remote and lock him up, doing whatever he pleases. There is no mother. There is no beach. Only a flimsy mirage composed of lies that Daehyun must be laughing over, thinking Youngjae fell for it so stupidly. 

One intrusive thought diverges into thousands and thousand of gnawing notions that seem to solidify into conviction. The silence does nothing to help as the blood-like stream of consciousness branches out into a deciduous. Youngjae feels the consistent rise in his throat every time they come to a stop at the traffic light, wary eyes edging over to glance at Daehyun. Daehyun barely spares another glimpse at the Omega, his stare fixated on the road ahead. Nightfall paints him in an even more charismatic light, and Youngjae hates himself for drowning into a hurricane of catastrophe that will inevitably lead to his downfall. If only he had not gotten his heat when Daehyun came. The logic in him combats that essentially, it had happened at an ideal time if it had to happen at work—if Daehyun had not been there to quell his heat, he would have been found out. And perhaps, if he dare say it, Daehyun is seemingly more merciful than the rest.

It's hilarious, now that he thinks about it. He can't tell if God is playing with him or if God is assembling Youngjae's life in his favour. His heat had come direly late, overdue for four years, since largely all Omegas get their first heat when they are twenty-three. Youngjae had fallen into the delusion as time progressed that perhaps he was indeed an Alpha, and it was not a guise—he had simply been marked wrongly at birth. Yet the mirror had screamed otherwise, and there were times Youngjae had unconsciously ripped his long, curled eyelashes and dug his fingernails into his cheeks till they bled.

The city bleeds into the elite and noble-born, ostentatious and extravagant scenery mocking Youngjae as they pass. The many tinsel houses, grand and haughtily standing in succession, seem to be endless. Youngjae braces himself for the worst as Daehyun slows down, turning the steering wheel slickly and meandering down the rows of bungalows. He eases out of the cluster and towards an isolated, magnificent four storey house, apricot glow glistening past the glass. Daehyun drives past the fountain to the entrance and kills the engine, stepping out of the car. Youngjae reluctantly fumbles with the seatbelt and raises his head when Daehyun opens the car door for him, wordlessly waiting for him to exit.

"Mr. Yoo," Daehyun starts, "please keep this a private matter between the two of us." Darkness drenches the Alpha as he continues, "Thank you for agreeing to help."

A distinct shriek resonates from the house and both men snap their heads towards the incoherent ruckus, Daehyun hurriedly pacing towards the door. Youngjae quickly tugs up his mask and follows behind. Upon entering, the screams escalate into an unbearable cacophony, several servants gathered at the hem of a room. Youngjae parts his lips in shock as a voice wails grievously, "Himchanie! I want to go to the beach! Where- where is my son!?"

Yongguk stumbles out of this room and bows to Daehyun, widening his eyes upon noticing Youngjae behind him. "How is Mother?" Daehyun instantly question, striding up to the man. There is a sharp, bloody gash over Yongguk's cheek and the secretary gapes for a moment more at Youngjae before stuttering, "H-He's becoming very violent. He broke-"

A resounding shatter of glass smashes through the air and another scream emanates from the room. "Tend to your wound," Daehyun instructs, glancing behind to Youngjae before heading straight for the source of noise. Youngjae tails behind quickly, a differentiated fright from before setting upon him. The servants instantly make way for Daehyun and Youngjae is greeted by a disarry of smithereens and overturned ornaments, scattered haphazardly over the floor. An emaciated man with his hair tied up into a bun is bundled up in the corner, shuddering almost violently.

The man snaps his head unnaturally towards Daehyun and his large eyes spell a wild, deranged look, flaring up madly. "You!" The man shrieks, twitching and clambering to his feet. "Die, die, die!" The scathing words shock Youngjae as Daehyun's supposed mother lunges for the Alpha, intercepted swiftly by a servant. Daehyun looks to Youngjae, meeting the Omega's eyes, and steps behind.

"Mother, I have brought... a friend," Daehyun says calmly, the increased distance lessening his mother's insanity by just a fraction. Daehyun's mother howls and shakes his head, "Get out! I will kill you! You disgusting Alpha!"

"Mother," Daehyun begins as soothingly as he can, "my friend is an Omega. He wants to bring you to the beach."

"Liar! Liar, liar, liar! I will kill you!" Daehyun's mother abruptly stops and begins to bawl out of nowhere. "How could I have given birth to a monster like you? My dear Eunji, you killed her! My dear, dear Eunji..." Daehyun's mother collapses onto the ground, barely held up by the struggling servant. "All of you, all of you bully me! Alphas, Betas, think they're better, want me to die, want me to die! I, me, me, I will kill myself! Are you happy? Kim Heechul will kill himself!" Daehyun's mother hurls, saliva sloppily dripping from his mouth. His mood swings a hundred and eighty degree and he trails off, "I want to go to the beach..."

"Mother, my friend is really an Omega." Youngjae stands by the doorway, unsure of what to do. So Daehyun had indeed been telling the truth. But why was his mother so hostile towards his own son? Youngjae takes in a deep breath and bows deeply. He meekly says between the ragged pants of Daehyun's mother, "Good evening, Mr. Jung..."

The man in the room seems to register the foreign voice, raising his head slowly. He shakes his head gradually and snickers, "You're trying to fool me again, aren't you? How many servants have disguised themselves?" His cackle doubles in intensity, stinging Youngjae's eardrums. "That bastard will never let an Omega into the house! The way he treats me, that horrible, horrible man..." His eyes suddenly light up and he reclines, echoing, "Or... are you Baekhyun? Ah, Dae- Daehyun's future wife..." Heechul glances around wildly and seems to subside into a somewhat more composed state. "He- Yun... Yunho must have invited you over..."

"Where are my manners..." Heechul staggers to his feet and pats his clothes absent-mindedly, hobbling towards Youngjae. The Omega stills in fright and he lowers his head once more, softly introducing himself. "Ah, Mr. Jung, I am..." His throat constricts and he feels terrifyingly without his make-up. He looks behind to the servants all lingering behind and Daehyun instantly dismisses them, shutting the door. With the privacy of just them three, the pressure still crushes onto Youngjae's back. Youngjae swallows and tugs down his mask.

He breathes, "I am... I am Yoo Youngjae."

"Not Baekhyun?" Heechul tilts his head one side, curiously regarding Youngjae with wide, doe eyes. He extends a bony hand and Youngjae almostly instinctively shields his sign, but quickly puts his hands back down. From this distance, he can see Heechul's Omega sign, doubled and overlapping, similar to Daehyun's one. Another noble. He tenses as Heechul seems to trace his sign, sharp nail clawing over his skin. Heechul sniffs deeply and his eyes fly wide open. "Y-You're... an Omega..." He stares in utter shock at Youngjae, the usual humiliation churning in Youngjae's guts, till a misplaced smile seeps onto Heechul's pallid face.

"O-Oh my! Hello," Heechul cajoles, taking a deep breath. He hastily combs his hair with his fingers and beams amiably, "Hello, hello! Come in! Make yourself at home!" He wanders away to pick up some of the broken items and distractedly places fragments onto the table. Daehyun rushes to help his mother, quickly removing the sharp pieces. Heechul turns to Daehyun and clicks his tongue, complaining, "Why didn't you say you were bringing a friend over? Else, I would have told you to get dumplings on your way home with your father. I will cook dumpling soup." Heechul edges closer to Daehyun and whispers, "He's really an Omega! I didn't know Omegas could go to your school. Such a pretty one, too." Heechul giggles at this moment and cooes, "Mm, I thought it was weird, why my no-nonsense Daehyunie was playing a prank on me. So serious Daehyun, how could he lie to me? Liar Daehyun. So it is true."

Daehyun stares at Heechul in evident confoundment, nodding after a moment as Heechul pats Daehyun on the shoulder, ushering him to go clean up another corner. Heechul rises and hurries over to Youngjae, chiming, "Come, sit, sit! Don't need to be so formal here." He tugs Youngjae's hand and leads him to the bed, both of them sitting by the edge amid the chaotic clutter. Heechul puts a fist to his mouth and chuckles, humming, "Youngjae, right? Daehyunie's friend?" Heechul leans closer and bubbles, "You're so gorgeous! Who is your mother? He must be absolutely beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!"

Before Youngjae can stammer out a response, Heechul calls, "Darling, go pour some iced tea for your friend. Take the chocolate cake out of the fridge, too." Daehyun does not move, simply looking at his mother, and Heechul bids him leave once again. "Hurry, Daehyunie, what are you doing just standing there?" Daehyun lowers his gaze and finally acquiesces, striding out of the room with one last glance. The moment Daehyun steps out, Heechul simmers into a melodious laugh, unlike the brittle cackle from before.

"I'm really happy," Heechul giggles, gently placing a hand over Youngjae's shoulder as the man freezes impulsively. "This is the first time Daehyun has brought a friend home. I was worried he didn't have any." Heechul melts into another saccharine bout of laughter, one light-hearted and contrastingly affectionate. A teasing smile crosses Heechul's face and he whistles, "Tell me the truth. Are you Daehyun's boyfriend?"

Startled, Youngjae churns, "Mr. Jung-"

"Ah, don't call me that," Heechul puffs. "You can call me Mother. Any friend of Daehyun is like a son to me—especially since you're the only one I've ever met. I've never seen anyone besides you! No one. Just you." Heechul snorts and shakes his head good-humouredly, before biting his lower lip. "Now, tell me... Are you Daehyun's boyfriend? Don't worry, I won't be mad. Far from it. Don't worry."

"Mr-"

"Mother," Heechul stresses, a trace of the delirium from before seeping into Heechul's voice. Youngjae corrects clumsily, "M... Mother, we're not boyfriends." The word 'Mother' is foreign on Youngjae's tongue, bringing back stinging memories of his own, the only blood-related kin he had. Youngjae suppresses the thought as Heechul wags his finger and hums, "You can tell me the truth now that Daehyun's not here. That boy doesn't expect me to believe he's just friends with such a pretty boy like you, does he?"

Youngjae awkwardly smiles and fails to churn out a response. They slip into a soft silence, the tension previously mangling the air gone without a trace. Excusing the heaps on the floor, Heechul's room has a stunning interior—the walls are drenched in an ocean blue with sprinkles of gold glitter glimmering. The bedroom is largely designed with the same concept; the pillow and table is beach-coloured while the quilts are sapphire, and a palm tree is painted onto the wall in the corner.

"Mother." Daehyun's voice rings from outside, the Alpha waiting by the ajar door, and Heechul hums sweetly, "Dear, bring the drinks in." Daehyun pauses for an extended while before stepping in, silently handing his mother one glass before giving Youngjae the other. "Thank you, darling. What about the cake? Where's the cake?"

"...I couldn't find it," Daehyun coughs. "I think Byunghee must have eaten it." Heechul clicks his tongue disapprovingly and sighs, "That boy is really asking for it. I'm going to scold him good when he gets home."

Heechul places his drink onto the mattress, the cup wobbling as he shifts. "I'm sorry, Youngjae. Let me go make something for you." Youngjae rushes to decline as Heechul stumbles to his feet, his back direly crooked and bent so far down Youngjae winces. The tea spills onto the matress and seeps into the sheets, drenching the sapphire quilt.

As Youngjae stands to offer assistance, Daehyun swiftly reaches out for his mother to help him. The moment his hand lands on Heechul, the Omega frenziedly recoils, squealing and cradling the area of skin Daehyun had touched. 

"You..." Daehyun immediately falls back while Heechul heaves raggedly, the man seemingly stuck in a trance. Youngjae approaches Heechul meekly and Heechul evidently registers his presence, melting back into lucidity with a wide smile. "What would you like to eat? Daehyunie loves my cookies. He loves my cookies a lot. Shall I bake a batch while you two kids go outside and play? Do you want that?"

The way Heechul addresses them is perplexing, Youngjae attempting to piece together the bizarre conundrum of it all. Heechul takes a step before he abruptly shudders, teeth chattering as though drenched in endless snowfall. Heechul mopes softly, cuddling himself and murmuring under his breath. "Seashell, seashell, seashell..." He chews harshly on his lower lip and gnaws repeatedly, mumbling incoherently and growing more fervid in his mantra.

"Mother," Daehyun cautiously begins, "Mr. Yoo- Youngjae and I want to go to the beach." Heechul lifts his head and flutters his lashes. He finally nods slowly and concludes with a contented smile to himself. "Ah, the beach? You have tuition... But well... okay. Mother will bring you two to the beach. It's okay if you miss just one tuition class. Just one, okay? Just one." Heechul staggers towards the door and Daehyun nimbly opens it for him, revealing Yongguk pacing about anxiously outside. Yongguk raises his head and Daehyun signals to the front door.

"Who are you? I haven't seen you before." The sudden question startles the trio as Heechul regards Yongguk with surprise. Yongguk parts his lips and blankly stares back, but thankfully, Daehyun manages to fill in, "Father just hired him, Mother."

"Ah..." Momentarily, a downcast look shades Heechul's face and he exhales feebly, "He should have at least told me. He never tells me anything." Heechul shakes away the tint of gloom and churns out a polite smile, nodding to Yongguk. "Welcome to our home. I hope my sons haven't troubled you. Welcome!"

"...Not at all, sir," Yongguk returns, bowing deeply. Heechul glances around and rests a hand on his hip, huffing, "Now, where did I leave my car keys?"

"I'll drive, Mother," Daehyun swiftly offers. His sudden declaration incites sheer amusement in Heechul, the Omega veering his head towards his son and muffling back a rich laugh. "Really... You're growing more cheeky by the day. Naughty, naughty! Naughty." Heechul extends a hand and shakily pinches Daehyun's cheek, the gesture utterly loving and eerily disconcerting. "Were you always this tall?"

The realisation fully dawns on Youngjae at this moment while Heechul continues to search for his keys, grumbling to himself. He knits his brows together and remarks, "Hm, where is Hankyung? Daehyun, go get Hankyung and tell him we want to go to the beach. Where is Hankyung?"

Daehyun instructs Yongguk quietly, "Offer to drive us there." Yongguk nods obediently and echoes, "Sir, I can drive you to the beach."

Heechul halts in his scavenger hunt and gratefully chimes, "You will? Thank you. Thank you, hm, I wonder where is Hankyung." He purses his lips and flattens out his shirt, patting his face and humming, "Maybe I should go put on some make-up first. Daehyun, how do I look?"

"Beautiful, Mother," Daehyun rebounds without hesitation. Heechul cups his mouth and giggles, chirping, "I've taught you well. If only your father were as sweet as you." Heechul tangles a hand in his hair and clucks, "Shall we go?" He paces forward before tripping, Yongguk rushing to help him. Despite being clearly worked up, Daehyun still remains behind, retracting his outstretched arms for the better. Yongguk supports Heechul as the Omega flounders to the door, Daehyun tailing at a close distance.

The burst of wind cascades past them, chilly night b at their senses. Youngjae briefly glances to Daehyun as the Alpha fixates his full concentration on his mother. Youngjae feels almost guilty—he had mangled Daehyun's plea into an eclipse of imprisonment and unceasing torture when Daehyun had indeed been telling the whole truth. Daehyun's filial piety shines starkly, even in the face of the ferocious, petrifying and most of all, crushing treatment he had been subjected to by his mother prior to introducing Youngjae. Youngjae fleetingly wonders if it is a concoction of both guilt towards him and guilt towards his own mother that bristles his skin.

But why had Heechul reacted with such rancour and thorough hatred towards his own son, recoiling so harshly when they interacted? If Youngjae has deduced correctly, Heechul must be figuratively 'living in the past' right now from how he had laughed at the notion of Daehyun driving, and his consistent labelling of them as children. This would insinuate that there had been a time he showered affection on Daehyun. Where did the heinous aversion of anyone above his rank come from?

Daehyun discreetly hands Yongguk his car keys as Yongguk leads Heechul to Daehyun's car, Heechul pausing to peruse the vehicle. "I didn't he bought a new one," Heechul comments and barely manages to hold himself up against the vehicle as Yongguk attempts to help Heechul in. Daehyun opens the back door and silently coaxes Youngjae in, the Omega hesitating before sliding in.

"Honey, can I talk to you for a while? I want to talk you. Can I?" Heechul gently inquires and motions for Yongguk to shut the door, Daehyun instantly pacing to him. The two converse outside for a moment as Youngjae sits quietly in the car, Yongguk respectfully standing at a distance. Finally, Daehyun pries open the car door and helps his mother in before joining Youngjae in the back seat.

"We have to return before your father gets home. He won't be happy, no, no, he won't be happy," Heechul mutters as Daehyun slips into the car, the engine revving to life. The alpha hums lowly in response while Heechul continues, "I'm sorry, Youngjae, but I think after we head to the beach, we'll have to send you straight home. I wish you could stay for dinner." The merciless, drenching darkness induces no perturbation in Heechul who lets down his hair, combing through tangles with his fingers.

"Okay, Mother," Youngjae replies, both Yongguk and Daehyun looking questioningly to Youngjae. Youngjae gingerly leans towards Daehyun and whispers curtly, "Your mother said to call him that." Daehyun nods understandingly and both men look up upon hearing a chuckle.

"So cute. What are you two whispering about?" Heechul teases. "Daehyun, don't you have something to tell your mother?"

Daehyun cluelessly glances to Youngjae for elaboration and Youngjae quietly resounds, "Mother, Mr. Jung and- I mean...." He glimpses over at Daehyun and non-verbally asks for permission to address Daehyun by his first name. Daehyun insistently nods and Youngjae softly breathes, "Dae... Daehyun and I are not dating."

"If you say so," Heechul sings, curling several strands of hair playfully. He switches on the radio and tunes in to a classical music station, neatening out his clothes and brushing his hair over and over again. He tilts his head back and muffles back gentle laughter.

"Daehyunie must like you a lot, Youngjae. To bring you home, knowing that grumpy ogre will get angry." Heechul glances to Daehyun and advises, "Don't tell your father about this."

"Yes, Mother," Daehyun stiffly returns, obedience unquestionable. Heechul changes the radio station to the news and a peaceful quietness surrounds them. Youngjae shuts his eyes tiredly, wondering how exactly he had gotten himself into this. He retracts his conversation with Daehyun in his mind, picking apart sentences and sentences there were all, what he realises only now, straightforward.

Perhaps Daehyun isn't as bad of a person as he thought. Sure, he may be indirectly demanding a request since Youngjae technically owes him one, but it doesn't ask for anything heinous. Youngjae presses his lips together and broods silently as the radio blares in the background. He feels just a bit guilty that he distorted Daehyun's intentions, but it makes no sense. Why would Daehyun, an upper-class Alpha, boss of the prestigious company Youngjae fooled, be... nice to him? He shudders to think of their first meeting but he cannot deny Daehyun had chosen not to impregnate him when it didn't matter to Daehyun if he did or did not. Daehyun had let him come back to work and Youngjae hasn't been exposed up till now—and it confounds him to no end.

Why let Youngjae live when Daehyun would gain nothing? He can easily hire an Alpha to fill Youngjae's place, and he could have let Youngjae walk out of his office still in heat, practically walking meat. Youngjae quells the rampant thoughts in his mind and grits his teeth. It's out of pity; it's all a show. The privileged may sympathise with the ostracised but ultimately, they're the one benefiting from the social disparity. Hypocrites.

They're all the same. Don't let your guard down.

"Mountbatten State University researcher Alfred McPherson has been found guilty of falsifying data

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter