XV

Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Oasis

 

Standing in the midst of a crowded mall, Daehyun finds himself oddly out-of-place despite his many strolls down such aisles, clients and staff speaking at length about their retail branches. It is uncustomary for Daehyun to visit such places beyond the work sphere, usually asking his servants to settle his shopping needs for him. He sees no value in splurging on luxuries when he already has the bare necessities.

Interestingly, Daehyun is here to buy a gift—what, he does not know. He had not pinned himself to be so sloppy to not have anything in mind. Purchasing presents for his family is simple as Byunghee is easily contented while Yonghwa fancies cars. His father Yunho does not bother with such trivialities, cracking out a polite smile before shelving yet another redundant ornament. For clients, the Alphas receive watches or wine and their wives are given accessories like perfume.

The conventions do not apply to Youngjae, however. Daehyun stares from the glittery shoes in the display window to his reflection, blinking sharply. On impulse, he had decided to buy a gift for the Omega to cheer him up. The vivid memory of Youngjae looking so frail in front of him has stubbornly persisted. It is probably because Youngjae has only ever displayed wariness and rancour to Daehyun.

Seeing how Minki had given Youngjae the cold shoulder and Youngjae’s subsequently downcast look, Daehyun assumes the two must have fought. That could be why Youngjae had been upset, or perhaps just the tip of the iceberg.

Going shopping alone on a Saturday afternoon is the result of a poorly thought-out, spontaneous decision. Even Yongguk thinks so, having shown surprise when Daehyun remarked he was going shopping. Yongguk had offered assistance but Daehyun did not want to disrupt Yongguk’s day off.

Aimlessly, Daehyun roams around, skimming past ostentatious gowns and jewellery. He second-guesses his decision momentarily while striding into a department store. Rightfully, he shouldn’t be buying gifts for an employee of his as it violates the principles of professionalism.

Still, it would be wrong to consider Youngjae as just a staff. Youngjae has helped him on his own accord (because he felt coerced to, though) and Daehyun’s mother is fond of Youngjae. Moreover, they’ve eaten with one another outside of work and chatted too, even though their conversations are mostly stale. Would it be crossing boundaries if Daehyun got a present for Youngjae? His intentions are just to console Youngjae, after all.

Knowing the Omega, though, he may take it as an insult. Daehyun furrows his brows as he wanders around. A Beta staff immediately approaches with a broad smile.

“May I help you, sir?”

“Yes. I’m looking for a gift,” Daehyun fills in.

“For?”

Daehyun blinks. “My… friend.”

The Beta nods slowly. “Okay… And what’s their rank?”

“He is an Omega,” Daehyun returns, rubbing the back of his neck. The Beta’s lips curl hintingly and he gestures towards the promotional items. “How about handbags? We’re having a sale right now for these brands. Fifty percent off.”

He then points to the rack in the corner. “If your budget’s tight, we have a bunch of last pieces that are going for a very low price.”

“Money’s not a problem,” Daehyun mutters. “I want something that can cheer him up as he’s going through a difficult time.”

“Well then, you can take a look at the branded merchandise. Lately this design is very popular with the Omegas.” He lifts a bag and cajoles, “These are the real ones. They’re very durable unlike the counterfeits you find outside.”

As the salesman pries open the bag, Daehyun interrupts him. “I’m looking for something other than handbags. My friend doesn’t fancy them.”

“Okay.” The salesman puts aside the bag and asks, “What do you have in mind?”

Daehyun rubs the nape of his neck. “I don’t have anything in mind at the moment.”

“Hm, that’s quite tough. I’d say a purse or a handbag is a safe choice in this case. What is your friend like?”

Pursing his lips, Daehyun mulls over the difficult question. The Beta staff jokingly supplies, “Is he the very dainty type or is he more of the sassy, don’t-need-an-Alpha kind?”

“Independent,” Daehyun murmurs. The salesman snaps his finger.

“I have just the thing.” He directs Daehyun to the fragrance section and proudly gestures to their glimmering collection. “Recently, La Dior released a new set of perfume series called Confidence.”

Behind the staff, a long black and white poster is hung of a tall Omega sitting with his legs crossed, smoky eyeshadow complementing his sultry eyes. He dons a loose blazer over his white V-neck and tight shorts, leaning forward with a wilted rose in one hand.

Act like an Omega. Think like an Alpha. Daehyun squints at the fanciful text printed beneath the garish motto. Intelligent. Beautiful. Independent.

“Celebrities like Ashley Miguel are wearing this on the red carpet. That’s how renowned it is. It’s the ‘in’ thing right now.” The salesman takes Daehyun’s hand and sprays some perfume on the back of his palm. Daehyun scrunches up his nose at the astringent rose scent. It is familiar—probably because Baekhyun was wearing it when he last visited.

“My friend isn’t interested in these,” Daehyun states.

The Beta staff shrouds his annoyance with thinned lips, churning out a grin. “What does he like, then? Shoes? Jewellery? On the first floor, there’s a promotion on Revoir gold necklaces. I’m sure your Omega friend would love those.”

Daehyun deliberates lengthily, recalling what he had given Youngjae the last time. He didn’t know if Youngjae drank so he had a servant buy wine. After knowing the Omega for over a month, Daehyun has yet to find out what Youngjae likes. He enjoyed the spicy instant noodles from yesterday and those dumplings at the restaurant they dined at. The other time at the convenience store, he bought sweets, if Daehyun remembers correctly.

A Beta roams around their area, picking up a fragrance bottle. The salesman glances at him and just as the Beta turns to ask a question, the staff remarks with a small smile, “Please be careful. They’re very expensive.”

“Ah, okay. Do you have this in a bigger bottle?”

“Sorry, we don’t. This is the only size available across all stores.” The Beta staff promptly turns to Daehyun. “So, any ideas, sir?”

“I… think I won’t be able to find what I need here,” Daehyun concedes, eyes glossing over an array of glamorous accessories. Even during the times where Daehyun has seen Youngjae without his disguise, he wears dresses more like an Alpha, hoodie baggy and attire dark. He doubts Youngjae would enjoy any of these lurid merchandise.

“Okay. Please come again, sir!” The Beta chimes as Daehyun exits the store. Daehyun sighs and scours the mall once more, gaze flitting past clothes stores and restaurants. He knows nothing substantial about Youngjae at this point. Not his preferences, not his hobbies, not his dislikes.

Would it be alright to call Youngjae and ask? No, Youngjae would surely decline once he knows of Daehyun’s intentions. Daehyun scrolls through his contacts and finds Minki’s phone number, hesitating on dialling. Minki has mentioned he is Youngjae’s closest and only friend, aside from the Beta staff Junhong. He is the best person to get advice from.

He eventually taps on the number. As the dial tone clicks, Miki’s worried voice slips over the speaker.

“Mr. Jung?”

“Ah, Mr. Choi,” Daehyun starts, unsure of how to continue.

“Is something wrong? Did Youngjae get into trouble?” Minki breathes.

“No, no,” Daehyun assures. He clears his throat. “I… was wondering if I could get advice from you.”

“Me?” Minki repeats, evidently startled. “What help do you need?”

“Mr. Yoo looked a bit troubled yesterday, so I would like buy a small gift so he will feel better.” Daehyun’s voice quietens towards the end and he awkwardly listens to the silence over the line.

“You want to buy a present for Youngjae? Because he’s feeling sad?” Minki blurts.

“…Yes,” Daehyun coughs. “I want to express my apologies for asking him to help out when he was feeling unwell.”

It takes a while for Minki to speak again. He begins with a soft chuckle, “That’s very sweet of you. Though, I doubt Youngjae minds.” The line crackles. “So, I’m guessing you want to know what he likes.”

Minki hums thoughtfully. “Youngjae’s easy to please. Just get him some snacks and he’ll be happy. Milk chocolate, especially. But be careful—he likes pure chocolate, not chocolate-flavoured snacks. Chocolate milk is okay, though. He likes that.”

“Hm, and he likes milk tablets too. But no hard candy. He doesn’t like those.”

“Milk chocolate, chocolate-flavoured milk, milk tablets,” Daehyun lists out, muttering more to himself than to Minki. “Does Mr. Yoo like milk?”

“Not really, but he does drink milk every day. Such a baby, isn’t he? From his habits to his personality,” Minki snorts, grumbling a little to himself. “He does like chocolate, though.”

“I see. Thank you for the advice.”

“No problem. Is there any other thing you need?” His words hold a hint of a giggle. “And don’t worry. I’ll keep this a secret.”

“No, it’s fine.” He pauses. “Would you like something as well, Mr. Choi?”

“Aww, you’re so sweet, Mr. Jung! No, thank you. I hope this makes your gift shopping easier. Honestly, Youngjae doesn’t mind helping you.” Minki lowers his voice into a soft laugh. “I think he enjoys it. He finally has something to do outside of work.”

“Ah, is that so?” Daehyun returns. He finds it hard to believe when Youngjae only ever greets him with a scowl, as though their arrangement is nothing but a nuisance.

Minki hums enthusiastically. “But he’ll appreciate the gesture, anyway.”

“Okay. Thank you once again, Mr. Choi. Have a good day.”

Daehyun cuts the call, roaming to the supermarket. He briefly recalls the incident at the convenience store where an Alpha had approached Youngjae. Youngjae had gathered a fair amount of titbits, and Daehyun assumed they could have been for his friends.

So, Youngjae has a sweet tooth. The fact is rather mismatching with Youngjae’s demeanour.

For roommates, Minki and Youngjae have vastly different personalities, Daehyun thinks. Minki is exceedingly amicable and optimistic. His eyes radiate with a cheeriness hard to fabricate. On the other hand, Youngjae drips of utter distrust and wariness. His default expression borders on hostile, even at work.

Daehyun enters the supermarket and winds down the snack aisle, staring at the milk candy available. He grabs two of each brand and drops several milk chocolate bars into the basket. Weaving past the other patrons, he takes three bundles of chocolate milk packets and stops to wonder if he should get more.

A middle-aged Omega nearby stares at Daehyun. He warmly smiles, tilting his head one side. “Are you throwing a children’s party?”

Daehyun blinks. “No. It’s for a friend.” He strides to the counter and the Beta cashier peers at the large cluster of candy, quickly bagging them.

Daehyun lugs out the bulging paper bag and deliberates on his next move. He can deliver them to Youngjae’s home straight since it is a weekend. Daehyun only ever spend his time reading and taking care of his mother outside of the office. He sometimes finds himself quite aimless without his work to occupy him.

Daehyun decides to drop a memo beforehand, gravely aware Youngjae might lash out at him for visiting without notice. He dials Youngjae’s number, already prepared for Youngjae to decline his gift.

After three rings, Youngjae picks up the call. “Mr. Jung?” He immediately says, seriousness entrenched into his syllables.

“Mr. Yoo,” Daehyun greets.

“What’s the matter?” Youngjae questions, interrupting the short pause. “Is your Mother alright?”

“Yes, he’s fine.” Daehyun inhales deeply. “I have a gift for you to… apologise for yesterday. Would it be alright if I came over to deliver it to you?

“You have a gift for me? There’s no need to,” Youngjae’s voice hardens, seemingly taking offense. “I’m alright. Like I said, I was just feeling under the weather.”

“I made you come over even when you were feeling unwell, so I’m sorry for that,” Daehyun returns.

“You don’t have to be sorry,” Youngjae mutters. “Besides, you already gave me the cup noodles and lent me your book.” He abruptly pauses and his contrarily soft voice echoes in the distance. “Minki, don’t forget that you’re cooking something in the kitchen.”

Daehyun doesn’t hear a response. Youngjae returns to the phone and grumbles, “So, please don’t buy me a present, Mr. Jung. I don’t want you to spend extra money on me.”

“I already purchased the gift, Mr. Yoo,” Daehyun remarks. “Please accept it. I’ll just come over to hand it to you and leave afterwards.”

Youngjae keeps quiet for a prolonged while. Eventually, he heaves, “Okay. When are you coming over?”

“Would half an hour later be a good time?”

“Yeah,” Youngjae breathes. “See you.” He swiftly ends the call.

Daehyun churns out a small smile and pockets his phone, heading for the car park.

The drive to Youngjae’s place is short, Daehyun arriving in twenty minutes. He sends a message to Youngjae and oddly checks his reflection in the mirror. Evening out his cashmere sweater, he belatedly realises his actions and frowns.

Youngjae comes out of his block in a few minutes, clad in a hoodie, a pair of shorts and a face mask. He is shorter than usual in flip flops, reaching up to Daehyun’s nose. His face is scrunched up in mild annoyance but he still greets Daehyun anyway.

“Mr. Yoo, I’m sorry to have bothered you.” Daehyun hands over the paper bag and Youngjae unabashedly opens it, squinting at the contents. He then looks up with doe eyes, as if questioning Daehyun silently.

“You bought me candy and… milk.” He sieves through the bag, picking up a milk candy packet with raised brows.

Daehyun blinks back. “Do you not like it? I can buy something else for you.”

“No, I… like it,” Youngjae breathes, closing the bag.

“Still, you really didn’t have to.” The hinting wariness seeps into his tone. “You’ve gotten me a lot of things, Mr. Jung.”

“Do you perhaps think I have a motive?” Daehyun heaves bluntly, tucking his hands into his pockets.

The small Omega averts his gaze. “No,” he breathes. “Thank you for the gifts. I’ll eat them well.”

“That’s good to hear. I shall take my leave then. Rest well.” Daehyun spins on his heels and paces back to his car. Just as he unlocks the door, Youngjae abruptly calls out.

“Wait, Mr. Jung!”

Daehyun slants his head back. Youngjae bites his lip as reluctance scrawls all over his countenance.

“Do you want to come up for a cup of coffee?” He mumbles quietly.

Daehyun peer at Youngjae in utter surprise, taking a moment to process his words. “What?”

“I asked if you want to come up for coffee,” the Omega furrow his brows impatiently.

“No, it’s alright. Thank you for the offer,” Daehyun belatedly replies. He spares Youngjae a bewildered glance.

“I insist, Mr. Jung,” Youngjae remarks almost begrudgingly. “Please stay for a while.”

“I don’t want to intrude, Mr. Yoo.”

“You won’t. It’s cold, so come up for a drink,” Youngjae mutters.

Daehyun quizzically scrutinises the man. It’s glaring Youngjae isn’t happy about inviting Daehyun up yet he’s being strangely persistent. Youngjae surely has a motive to extend such hospitality out of nowhere, but Daehyun cannot decipher his intentions.

“If you insist.” Unless Youngjae plans on ambushing him with his roommate, Daehyun doubts his motives are harmful. Perhaps his roommate put him up to this. Judging from the last time Daehyun entered his home, Youngjae can be unexpectedly obedient when it comes to his close friend.

The ride up to the eleventh storey is suffused with silence, Daehyun observing the Omega. Youngjae kicks off his slippers and unlocks the door, sending Daehyun a warning glance before holding open the door.

“Minki!” Youngjae calls out amiably. “We have a guest here to visit!”

After a long pause of Daehyun taking off his shoes, Minki finally pokes his head out of his room, coldness glazed over his expression. He dons a loose t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter