Chapter 28

My Girl (Sequel)

Chapter 28

 

Taking a deep breath, I squeezed my mother’s hands into mine. She looked at me for a good minute before nudging me because we were sitting there in the cold.

“You want to know what I’m not happy about?” I asked, turning to look at her. I had her full attention. “I mean, do you really know why or are you just assuming?”

“You’re my daughter. I know when you’re not happy.” She replied.

“Then tell me, mom... What is making me unhappy?” I asked her, turning my body so I was now facing her fully.

“It’s Kim Jin Hyuk. Jin Hyuk is not making you happy.” My mother responded, as if this was the obvious reason.

“Mom, I don’t think you know me that well just because I’m your daughter.” I laughed. “The real reason why I’m so upset is because of my friends and Se Hun. I came here knowing how hard it was going to be to face him again, but my friends…?”

“What about your friends?” She raised an eyebrow. “Did they do something to you?”

“They did everything I would have never imagined them doing. I mean, they were just being a good friend to Se Hun, but they weren’t being good friends to me.” I shrugged as I let my mother’s hands go. “They knew the whole time, as to why Se Hun broke up with me in the first place and yet, no one told me. When I thought he had a child, which he was old enough between the time we broke up, meaning that he would have cheated on me… But he didn’t and even though I cried and made a fool of myself? My friends just watched and didn’t say a word.”

“They did that?” My mother pursed her lips. “Your friends are kind of mean.”

“I get that they didn’t want to say anything because Se Hun didn’t want them to say a word, but I just thought it was unfair to me that I was walking around foolishly when everyone knew and I had to find out on my own.” I ran my fingers through my hair and groaned loudly, causing my mother to jump.

“What is wrong with you, Ahn Soo Jin? You could have given me a heart attack!” My mother nudged me with a small laugh. “I can’t believe your friends did that to you.”

“I know. It was to the point where I thought everything was a set up. It was so frustrating and I couldn’t even focus on anything. I didn’t know if I could talk to my friends any more. I mean, I got into a fight with Jung Ah at one point and then Lu Han, you know that smart-mouth, always made me feel like an idiot, but I feel like he was leading me to answers that no one else would lead me to.”

“Jae Hyun didn’t say anything to you?” She perked.

I shook my head. “Jae Hyun wanted to tell me, but he said he couldn’t. Now that I think about it, I’m sure Jung Ah somehow managed to convince him to keep his mouth shut.”

“I’m honestly surprised your best friend could keep shut.” My mother laughed at this. “Didn’t you tell me she was bad at keeping secrets?”

I shrugged. “She must have gotten better through time while I was in Canada. I bet you Jae Hyun taught her in a way.”

“What are you talking about?” She asked raising an eyebrow.

“Jung Ah and Jae Hyun are kind of a thing right now, I guess.” I said nonchalantly.

“WHAT IN THE WORLD?!” My mother’s mouth fell ajar. “That is the weirdest couple ever to be made!!! How did that even happen?”

I couldn’t help but laugh this time. “I guess leaving to Canada could help change some people’s lives over here, huh?”

“Well, honey, you did end up changing your life…” She muttered.

“Why did you think Jin Hyuk was the problem?” I asked, now curious.

“The guy was always working and when he left to Japan and you left to Busan, I figured you were unhappy. I know he’s a busy guy and all, but this is your wedding.” She reached over and embraced me with one arm. “I was truly worried about you, but the next day when he showed up at the house confused as to why you were in Busan, I figured he must have finally figured you were upset with him or something.”

“I was a bit.” I replied. “He didn’t text or call me for two days. It was weird.”

“I should have called you.”

“You did…” I squinted my eyes at her.

“Oh right… He came in after I hung up on you.” She laughed.

“And you couldn’t call me right back?” I furrowed my eyebrows. “Way to help me out.”

“Well, I didn’t know what was going on!” She rolled her eyes at me. “You can’t blame me for what happened.”

“Whatever.”

“What even happened in Busan? Did you go there to visit Se Hun’s grandfather?” She asked.

I nodded my head. “Was that wrong of me? It seems like Busan has a little place in my heart… Like it calms me when I’m stressed or overwhelmed and need to think.”

“Why would you think it’s wrong?” She asked.

“I don’t know. I guess it’s probably because that’s Se Hun’s grandpa… Shouldn’t I cut off all ties or anything to do with Se Hun?”

“Is that what you want?”

I shook my head slowly. “Even after five years, I thought it was going to be easy, but it’s not.”

“I don’t think it’s wrong. His grandpa likes you for you and not because you were Se Hun’s pretend girlfriend.” She laughed, which made me roll my eyes. “What? You two high schoolers thought it would be a good idea to play pretend.”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t remind me.” I laughed along with her.

“It’s good seeing you laugh.” She squeezed me.

“Thank you. I forgot how good it was to laugh.” I looked down at my feet and took in the moment that wasn’t going to last too long.

 

**

 

My hands were wrapped around the main entrance to Lu Han and Xiu Min’s café. I stood there and just held it. I looked stupid, but in my head, I was thinking why out of all places did Jung Ah had to choose this place to meet up? The girl is pregnant so wouldn’t the smell of coffee make her want to gaga? I would have argued with her, but I didn’t want to deal with her hormonal attitude even though that should not have been excuse.

“Are you just going to stand there and look dumb?” Lu Han had opened the other door and was standing there with his arms crossed, looking at me like I was dumb.

“Oh, hi Lu Han.” I used my other hand to hold it up awkwardly.

“What are you doing? Are you going to come in?” He raised an eyebrow as a few customers walked pass him and into the café. “You’re going to scare our customers away.”

“I’m sorry.” I let go of the handle and walked past him and into the café.

“I’m guessing you’re meeting Jung Ah here?” He asked as he followed along behind me. “Or are you here for some answers?”

“Answers?” I quickly turned around almost bumping into him. People – I mean, the girls, were all staring at us, almost giving me death stares. I took a step back and I swear… I saw at least two of the girls sigh. “You have answers for me?”

“No, I don’t. I was just trying to figure out what you wanted.” He said before he walked behind the counter. “Coffee? Bubble tea?”

“Please order coffee…” Xiu Min said before laying his upper body onto the counter. “Everyone has been ordering bubble tea and I just don’t get it… It’s COLD OUTSIDE! Why wouldn’t anyone order a hot cup of coffee?”

“He’s just upset because he wants to make a cup of coffee.” Lu Han shook his head. “Do you want coffee, Soo Jin?”

“I guess I’ll take a large cup of coffee, Xiu Min!” I said with a smile. He was so cute. He perked up from the counter and ran to the espresso machine.

“So,” I said as I gave Lu Han money. “Was I the last one to find out about Jung Ah’s pregnancy?”

He shrugged and pursed his lips. “Yeah.”

“Wow, no big deal shrug. Okay.” I rolled my eyes.

“It’s her privacy. I’m not going to go up to you and tell you that she’s pregnant when she can tell you herself. After all, you two are best friends.” Lu Han gave me a penny back, but he immediately took it out of my hand and placed it into the tip jar. “I figured since I’m giving you answers, this is what you can pay me with.”

“Those were obvious answers.” I scoffed.

“Isn’t the rest of your questions filled with obvious answers?” Lu Han tilted his head in a way where he was mocking me.

“Here’s your coffee!” Xiu Min gave me the cup with cute little drawings around it. “I put in marshmallows, chocolate gratings, and some whip cream, if that’s okay with you.”

“Thank you, Xiu Min.” I said as I took a sip. “Wow, this is so good!”

“Thank you for ordering coffee.” He said as he clasped his fingers together. “It was so much fun.”

As I was about to go at it again with Lu Han, Jung Ah running through the doors out of breath. The three of us stared at her as she walked up to us panting.

“Did you run here?” Xiu Min asked.

Jung Ah shook her head. “No, I got dropped off by Jae Hyun, but goodness… Being pregnant makes you tired.”

“A cup of tea?” Lu Han suggested.

“No, the smell of tea makes me want to gag.” She shook her head.

“But coffee doesn’t…?” I arched an eyebrow.

“Nope, but I wish I could have a cup right now.” She patted her stomach. “The doctor told me to not have any caffeine.”

“Where are you two going today anyway?” Lu Han asked.

“Shopping?” Xiu Min answered.

I shook my head. “I still have a wedding dress to go find.”

“Ah, how many more days?” He asked.

“She has 50 more days!” Jung Ah interrupted me before I could even say anything.

“And no dress yet?” Xiu Min’s mouth fell ajar.

“It’s a small wedding with a few people only so it’s no big deal to me.” I shrugged as I sipped my coffee.

“50 more days, huh…” Lu Han pursed his lips.

 

**

 

Kang Hee had taken Jung Ah and I to at least four different boutiques already and I still have yet to find one that I liked. I didn’t know what to do because even though there were so many to choose from, there wasn’t one that caught my eye or I thought was unique from other wedding dresses I’ve seen. Jung Ah looked like she was about to pass out too, so at the last boutique that Kang Hee took us to, I promised them both that I will find something.

“I’m sorry I’m dragging you around when you should be resting.” I said as I walked into the dressing room with a few dresses that Kang Hee and I looked at. “Are you feeling alright, Jung Ah?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. I didn’t know how tired one person could get just from being pregnant.” Jung Ah sighed loudly.

“How many months are you? I never got the chance to actually ask you.” I said as Kang Hee helped me into a dress, which was too big for me. She pinned the back to make sure the dress fit me a little better.

“I thought Jae Hyun would have told you already when you came over last night.” She said as I walked out of the fitting room to show her the dress. She smiled brightly. “You look so beautiful, Ahn Soo Jin.”

“I don’t think this is what I want…” I said as I stepped onto the podium and looked at myself in the mirror. “It’s too… I don’t know… Tight…”

“Should we try on the second dress?” Kang Hee suggested and I nodded my head before heading back into the fitting room.

“So?” I asked as we shut the curtains and Kang Hee helped me out of the dress.

“I’m almost five months.” She replied a little quietly, but I heard her clearly.

“You’re barely showing.” I pursed my lips. “I hope if I’m ever pregnant, I won’t show as much with my first child.”

“I guess all the fat from my stomach became useful at one point.” She chuckled. “I’m sorry, Soo Jin.”

“What for?” I asked as I walked out in the next dress.

“There were so many things going through my mind when you told me you were coming back to visit and because you were going to get married. I blurted it out to everyone, in case you didn’t know that.” She laughed but she looked down in disappointment. “I was pregnant already and everyone knew, but I was so scared to let you know because you came back with such big news that I thought it would be rude of me to bring up something else.”

“I would have congratulated you, Jung Ah. I don’t know why you would think otherwise.” I shook my head as I walked over to her and held her hands. “I am happy for you and Jae Hyun.”

“I also want to apologize for the way I’ve been acting. My hormones are really acting up on me. It’s ridiculous how our body works.” Jung Ah laughed, causing me to be at ease. “You know I wasn’t being a good friend to you, but you still stuck around and gave me time and even listened, surprisingly. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Se Hun or other things when I knew about every little thing that was going on. I just didn’t want to be a part of the situation, but obviously… I was still part of it.”

“I know. It’s not your fault.” I pressed my lips together. “What could you do? I mean, I bet you Jae Hyun forced you to keep your mouth shut too.”

Jung Ah chuckled as she nodded her head. “He was good at it! He bribed me with food.”

“Ah, of course you would give into food!” I scoffed playfully. “You’re so easily bought with food!!! I should have used that against you from the very beginning.”

“I’m sorry.” Jung Ah said as she opened her arms. “Hug?”

“I guess…” I reached over and hugged her. “No more secrets?”

“No more.” She shook her head. “Minus the gender, no more secrets.”

“You know the gender already?!” I asked pulling back.

She put a finger to her lips. “Yes, but Jae Hyun doesn’t know.”

 

 


**Authors Note: To anyone who woke up with the tragic news of SHINee's Kim Jonghyun's passing, may we all pray for him, his family, s, and his fans. It has been confirmed by SM on Naver that he didn't make it even though we all had hoped he would. All of our hearts are broken and all of kpop is in shock. We don't need to know whether you are a Shawol or not. Everyone's heart can be shattered knowing that someone has chosen suicide as their answer. Suicide is a serious situation and it's not something to play around with. Jonghyun, you were my bias and someone who had paved a path for all those who admired you. You will always have a place in my heart and your voice will never be forgotten or missed. It hurts knowing that you could have made it, but it's okay. You're no longer hurting and I hope you can be happy. I don't know how to feel knowing that middle space will always be there for you, but you'll always be standing there before us, even if it's not physically. On behalf of fans and those who watched you, we're sorry we couldn't see through it in time to help you. We love you and will always remember you. Please rest in peace and I hope your heart will finally find some peace too. Jonghyun, it was not your fault. Depression can take over all of us and even the best ones. You've worked hard and did well. I hope everyone can be respectful during this time and if you need help, please reach your hand out. You have no idea how many people there are out there who are willing to prevent something terrible from happening. There are people out there! Don't ever feel like you're alone even if you feel that way, someone will come and show you that you are not alone. Even I'm here... If you want to talk to me, please do so.

To my Shawols, take a day to rest and heal your hearts. Jonghyun may be gone from this world, but we can only pray for a safe path. As for the other members, we must not forget about them. They need to be taken care of as Jonghyun would appreciate that the most. 

 

Thank you for reading up to this point. I will be taking a short hiatus as I don't like to write my stories when I'm not in the right state of mind. Please be respectful for the time being.