Eye Of The Storm

Dragontouched

This is a Sehun and Luhan focused companion/sequel.  Please enjoy. ^^

 

 

There's smoke billowing in the distance, but the wraith-like tendrils rise high into the sky, stretching and filling the empty space as if they were alive.  They threaten to blind Sehun even as the dragon beneath him swoops low to avoid the worst of it.  There's a village on fire below them, thatched roofs burning hot just before they collapse onto anyone foolish enough to still be hidden inside.  A flash of mauve has Sehun in a sharp breath, tasting the thick ash on his tongue as he grips tight to a pearly scale to keep from sliding from his perch as Luhan banks to avoid hitting the other dragon in the air.

Sehun spits a curse at the pair - dragon and rider - that gets swallowed in the roar of the wind, the shrill cries coming from the ground below.  A shudder from Luhan reminds Sehun that they still have a mission to complete and Sehun refocuses his efforts on the silhouette in the shadow of the smoke.  Their target is an Other, but one much larger than any they have seen before.

It rivals the size of the dragons sent to take it down; even with three of them, it's taking far longer than Sehun had predicted.  And Sehun hates being wrong.  With lives in the mix, he can't afford to be wrong.  Arrogance and pride had led Sehun to believe the village would remain untouched and when the Other had finally broken through the tree line, it was Yixing and Jongdae who broke off to evacuate the people while the rest - Sehun and Luhan along with the new duo Jongin and Minseok - began what seemed an exercise in futility as they tried luring the monstrosity back into the forest.

Sehun watches with ill-disguised fear as the Other rips a tree from the ground as if it were parchment and swings it at Minseok who has just flown into its range - like an idiot.  One of the first things Sehun was taught was to stay out of range in the air, but those two seem intent on breaking every rule in the book.  Luhan snorts, turning to head toward the duo before they get themselves killed.

With years of experience to rely on, Sehun brings his feet under himself, weight on his toes as Luhan nears the Other at a quick speed, his wings tucked to his sides as they spiral gracefully through the air.  As Jongin and Minseok make another too close pass, Luhan veers just over the Other’s head and Sehun pushes off.  The air whips through his hair, eyes stinging yet forced open as he orients himself toward the back of the creature's neck, a pair of daggers unsheathed and aimed downward.

The landing knocks the breath from his lungs, but his blades find a home in the soft, rotten skin.  The Other roars, reaching behind himself to swipe at Sehun, but its misshapen limbs aren’t long enough.  It swings wildly, nearly dislodging Sehun from his precarious position and one dagger pulls free.  The second dagger slides downward, Sehun dropping with it until he buries the other blade close to what he thinks is a spine.  Everything is so gnarled and twisted.  Unnatural.  The smell that fills his nose is putrid and he knows it's going to take weeks to wash the stink from his armor.

The Other is focused on Sehun still, giving Minseok the opportunity to strike; a high-pitched shriek cuts through the air and Sehun winces at the volume, turning in time to see Minseok flying off with the Other's dismembered arm clutched tight in his jaw.  Sehun doesn't have a chance to brace himself before he's thrown, moving too fast to regain his bearings.  There's a moment - one that he's had before - when Sehun believes this is it.  He's going to die here.

Sehun doesn't reach the ground.

The pain that rushes through him as he lands on Luhan's back is intense and Sehun chokes down the scream that wants to rip from his throat.  He already knows Luhan can sense it because he can feel Luhan's worry clouding his mind.  And even if Sehun's forbidden him from siphoning Sehun's pain from him to dampen the sensation, Luhan does it anyway.  Sehun is riddled with anger, fear, helplessness as Luhan flies them from the battle - a battle that should already be won.

A thunderous roar pierces the air and Sehun sees dragonfire, twin jets of raging orange and red shooting sharp and precise at the crippled Other.  Sehun loses sight of the fight, eyes threatening to close and head rushing, stomach churning and his energy depleted.  Luhan is the only reason he stays awake, that persistent presence in his mind that forces him to hold on just a little longer.

They land in the small camp they'd made yesterday.  It's far from the village so they wouldn't scare the citizens, but he reasons that's a moot point now.  A wave of guilt lances through Sehun's gut when he thinks of all the homes gone, of the families who have lost everything.  His fist clenches and he finally lets out an enraged cry as he slips from Luhan's back to land on the hard ground.

Sehun pulls in deep breaths through his teeth, sharp pain lancing through his side as he lays down in an attempt to alleviate it some.  His connection with Luhan is briefly interrupted as the hulking, scaled body of a dragon shrinks down to a man.  Sometimes Sehun is still amazed at how such an imposing creature can suddenly appear so vulnerable and beautiful.

Luhan’s face is pinched with worry as he sinks to his knees beside Sehun, their bond reestablished to take the edge off.

“Stop it,” Sehun orders, but there’s no power behind his words and Luhan gives him a dark look, lip curled.

“Quit being difficult,” Luhan says, and not for the first time.

Calloused fingers work to free Sehun from his armor, deftly removing the dented plate with familiar ease before plucking at the strings that bind the leather together.  Sehun focuses on breathing, each inhale punctuated with a slice of pain that races down his right side.  Luhan does his best to move Sehun as little as possible, but movement is necessary and Sehun hisses through his teeth, grunting when Luhan pushes him flat to the ground with a strength far more than his human body should be capable of.

Luhan is thorough in his inspection of Sehun’s injuries, hands pressing and then soothing as he moves, wordless as he feels the wounds as if they were his own.  Sehun really wishes he wouldn’t, but the idea chokes in his throat when Luhan finally settles back, sweaty and dirty from kneeling on the ground.

“The prognosis is bruised ribs with an equally bruised ego to match.”

Sehun finds little humor in Luhan’s words, a scowl on his face as Luhan blinks at him with a sigh.  “I shouldn’t have a bruised anything,” Sehun asserts, attempting to sit up.  Luhan growls the moment the pain sears through Sehun and he allows himself to be pushed to the ground again, Luhan’s hand keeping him down.  “Those two are going to get everyone killed.  Jongin is such a bumbling child,” he complains, fingers tight in his own hair to pull in frustration.

“He’s older than you,” Lu Han hums thoughtfully which only fuels the anger running through Sehun’s veins.  “They’re still learning.  We didn’t start off as good as we are now.  Fighting together is a honed skill.  It takes years -”

“We don’t have years,” Sehun spits angrily.

The look Luhan gives him has Sehun’s arms dropping lifeless to the ground and his eyes pointed skyward where some of the smoke has begun creeping through the clouds this far out.  He knows he’s being too hard on Jongin and Minseok; he’s well aware of how long it took the two of them to find each other, of how they found each other and he can’t imagine the pain they’ve endured, but their life isn’t a luxury.  Their kind have a responsibility.  They belong to the people.

Luhan brushes the hair from Sehun’s forehead fondly, fingers slipping through the blond strands comfortingly and Sehun relaxes under his touch.

They belong to each other too.

 


It’s nearly an hour later when the others return, Yixing and Jongdae landing nearest while Jongin and Minseok do another rotation through the air, settling down further from where Luhan now has Sehun propped up, sitting behind him to keep him upright.  The pain has receded to a dull throbbing that’s more than manageable and Sehun could nap if he wasn’t itching to wash the dirt and sweat and blood from his skin.

With Luhan’s breath hot on the back of his neck and the soothing caress of his palms over Sehun’s bare chest, Sehun isn’t as easy to anger when the four of them approach.  Yixing has Jongin behind him, probably a precautionary measure because Yixing knows that Sehun has a temper.

“I’m too tired to pick a fight right now,” Sehun grumbles, frowning even as Luhan snickers behind him.

Yixing seems to relax some and Jongin moves around him, sitting on the grass in front of Sehun.  Minseok settles next to him, head tucked to Jongin’s side and Jongin instinctively moves for him, an arm around Minseok to hold him steady.  It’s really tough to hold a grudge against the two of them when they look so drained and guilty.

“We’re -”

“Don’t,” Sehun barks, his voice cracking as he cuts off what is probably a rehearsed apology from Jongin.  Minseok narrows his eyes at Sehun and Luhan shakes with silent laughter.  “Is it destroyed?”

“Yes, burned to a pile of ash,” Jongin states.

“Good,” Sehun grunts, leaning back against Luhan and shutting his eyes.  It’s a not so subtle indication that their brief conversation is over.

“Don’t mind him,” Yixing says in low tones, but not so low that Sehun can’t hear him.

Sehun scrunches his nose and burrows a little more into Luhan’s secure hold, tuning out everything around him.  He’s exhausted, cranky and uncomfortable, but he finally passes out, mouth open and that hard outer demeanor dropped for a little while.

Sehun doesn’t wake until he feels Luhan moving and he groans, momentarily forgetting his injuries until he tries to turn.  Hissing out a curse, Sehun stills and cracks open his eyes.  Night has fallen around him and the others have built a small fire, huddled around it with low voices as the kindling cracks and pops from the heat.

“Didn’t want to wake you,” Luhan murmurs, lips against Sehun’s shoulder.  “But we should at least clean you off before bed.  I will not be sharing a tent with someone who reeks.”

Sehun would protest, but he’s still weak and Luhan is his strength.  Sometimes it’s easy to forget that behind Luhan’s pretty exterior is a warrior, a beast who could rip Sehun to pieces if he wanted.  Luhan is careful, lifting Sehun from the ground easily as Sehun’s pride struggles not to fight it.

They’d scouted a river not far from where they’re camped when they first arrived and that’s where they’re headed.  Even with Luhan’s slow strides, Sehun aches and muffles his pained noises as best he can.  He’s sweating and gritting his teeth and Luhan soon gives up all precautions and speeds inhumanly fast through tall grass, taking some of Sehun’s pain as his own.

Sehun shudders when he lays on the ground, gulping down air as Luhan strips him of his boots and pants, tossing them away from the water.  The river isn’t wide, the waters trickling languidly over stones and dirt and it’s cool when Sehun steps in, aided by Luhan at his side.  Thankfully he doesn’t have to fight the current and they’re able to wade to the deepest depth, water lapping around Sehun’s stomach.

“You’re a mess,” Luhan sighs fondly, his wet thumb scraping caked blood from around one of Sehun’s many scratches on his arms.  It stings, but Sehun holds his tongue, easily forgetting the pain as he watches Luhan.

Sometimes it’s hard to believe that they’ve made it this far.

Sehun had been a spoiled, arrogant boy of fifteen when he’d met Luhan, the standoffish dragon who took offense at being bound to one so young.  Sehun hadn’t thought much of Luhan either, determined to ignore their bond because he was a Prince, the second born son of a King and his fate was his own.

They’d clashed and fought and pulled at their bond so much that it snapped back with repercussions that will never be forgotten.  The scar that runs dangerously close around Sehun’s left eye is a reminder that a magic as strong as the bond can never be broken.

As if Luhan can sense Sehun’s thoughts, his fingers trail over the scar now, droplets of water trickling down Sehun’s face as Luhan peers up at him thoughtfully.  Sehun catches Luhan’s hand in his own, squeezes, reassures.  There’s still guilt there, on both sides, that will never truly go away.

The moonlight glints on strands of silver, dancing prettily over Luhan’s features as the world stills around them.  The soft rush of the water and the sway of the grass in the breeze plays in Sehun’s ears, a gentle backdrop to a moment paused in time.  Luhan may look precious and delicate, but he’s the strongest creature Sehun’s ever met and he adores him dearly.  It just took a long time to get there.

Luhan has to stand on his toes to kiss Sehun - a simple press of their lips - and Sehun inhales through his nose, eyes fluttering shut.  His other hand rests on Luhan’s neck, fingers curling to bring him in for another.  Sehun can feel the smile on Luhan’s mouth and he savors it, puts it to memory with all the other snippets of time they get for themselves.

The world could crumble to ash around them and Sehun would be oblivious, lost to the warmth of Luhan’s mouth, his plush lips parting and his arm slipping around Sehun’s waist.  He’s still careful, his touch soft against Sehun’s injuries.  His thumb slips up a winding scar that trails alongside Sehun’s spine from one of their earlier battles together.

Sehun used to pull away, but Luhan always tells Sehun he’s the living, breathing embodiment of their life together and the scars are simply the path they’ve taken.  Luhan bears a few scars of his own, but dragons heal far quicker and easier than a human.  If Sehun looks, he knows he can see the trio of scratches low on Luhan’s right hip from four summers ago that he’s memorized with his eyes, his fingers, his mouth.  And the lingering half-circle of lighter flesh that pops out in the sunlight on Luhan’s left calf that Luhan complained about for nearly a year because it was a complete eyesore.

Luhan sighs happily into Sehun’s mouth, teeth catching on Sehun’s lower lip to tease before he pulls away just the slightest.  “You should get injured more often.  You’re sweeter, softer.”

A low growl rumbles in the back of Sehun’s throat and Luhan laughs, tipping forward to kiss him again.

“I suppose you wouldn’t be my Sehun if you weren’t so grumpy all the time.”  Luhan tweaks Sehun’s nose and Sehun is distracted, unprepared for the water Luhan splashes at him with a laugh.

It’s unfair because Sehun can’t fight back, but he supposes that’s why Luhan is doing it.  Sehun will get him back later, but right now he feels like a drowned rat, standing there with a frown on his face as handfuls of water hit his chest and head.  His hair falls in his face and he brushes it away only to suddenly get hit full force in the nose.

Then Luhan’s hands are on him, fingers sliding through his wet hair, down his neck and lingering light on his bruised ribs to clean away the dirt and blood.  Sehun’s eyes fall shut, head back as he simply enjoys the pampering.  It doesn’t happen often.  The last time Luhan was so generous, Sehun had been bleeding out in the middle of a field, a shattered fragment of Other bone embedded in his side.  That was a year ago.

“That’s better,” Luhan announces when he’s finished, taking a step back to admire his handiwork.  Sehun is starting to shiver and his eyes narrow at the amused lilt to Luhan’s lips.  “Come on, let’s get you back to camp before you catch a cold.”

Luhan tugs Sehun forward, fingers threaded together; they pause long enough to gather Sehun’s pants and boots, keeping them held out as they head back to the group.  The fire is still going, but everyone has disappeared into their own tents.

Sehun hears low voices coming from one and Jongin’s head peers out.  “Wanted to make sure you made it back alright,” he mumbles, clearly half-asleep.

Sehun nearly points out that Jongin has a splatter of blood on the side of his face and it’s dried in his hair, but Jongin really does look exhausted and Minseok is tugging him back.  “Night, Jongin,” Sehun grunts, waving off his fellow Dragontouched.

Gingerly, Sehun lays on the blankets Luhan has spread out in their tent, letting out a low whine of air when he bends too far.  But then he’s stretching flat and it eases up.  Luhan is sifting through Sehun’s pack in the corner and Sehun stares at the top of the tent.

Maybe after they’ve all helped rebuild the village, he’ll take Minseok and Jongin for some practice runs, teach them the basics of airborne combat.  The talent is there, just untapped, and if Sehun is going to be battling with them, he needs to know his back is covered.

Sehun chews the inside of his lip, head lost in the beginnings of a list of rotations and simple tricks he thinks Minseok and Jongin can pick up easily when Luhan’s weight settles low on his stomach.  Luhan taps two fingers to Sehun’s cheek to get his attention.

“Stop thinking so hard,” he whispers.  “Those pesky thoughts can wait until morning.  I can’t.”  Luhan wiggles and Sehun groans, hands reaching out to grab Luhan’s thighs.

Luhan’s right.  Sehun will figure it out in the morning.  Until then, he has quite the difficult man to please.