The Corners of My Mind

Breathless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm back! So, I just came from a harrowing few weeks of school and camp, which is why I haven't been able to update any of my stories. But now here I am, and on a roll! This next chapter is a little shorter than the previous ones, but I promise that the next ones won't be as short. I just need to get my writing flow back on track. Enjoy!

~~

Kyungsoo is on the verge of another panic attack when Suho arrives a few minutes later, panicked. “Are you okay?” he asks. “Jongdae told me what happened. He wouldn’t stop apologizing.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “It wasn’t his fault.” He then inhales deeply to keep his breathing even.

Junmyeon frowns. “You don’t look well.”

“Yeah, no. My chest hurts.” Kyungsoo replies flatly, motioning aimlessly with his hand.

“Gods. Soo, why didn’t you say so earlier?” Suho reacts, running towards his friend to help him sit down. “Is this because of the suspension?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head slowly. “N-o. Sehun and the hyungs just came by to see me. It was a very happy reunion when they saw me packing up and thought that I was leaving without a goodbye again. Couldn’t even get a ing word in.” he mutters lowly.  “Then again, I did leave without so much as a warning last time, I don’t blame them for jumping to conclusions.”

“Wait, what?” Suho reacts in disbelief. “When did they arrive?”

Kyungsoo shrugs and tosses his head. “According to the ever trusty BaekYeol, yesterday.” He winces and grinds a fist into his chest.

“Deep breaths.” Junmyeon prompts, reaching out a hand to Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“I know.” Kyungsoo retorts sharply. “Anyway, they’re mad at me and told me to stay away from them and Jongin.” He amends to mollify the hurt on his friend’s face. 

Suho frowns and sits down beside Kyungsoo. “What are you going to do?” he asks, gently grabbing his friend’s hand to attach a pulse oximeter he grabs from his pocket to Kyungsoo’s finger.

Kyungsoo shrugs, wincing when the action slightly aggravates the pain in his chest. “I don’t know. They wouldn’t listen to me if I tried. And I did. About the suspension… well, there’s nothing I can do about it. My only worry was how to keep an eye on Jongin when I’m not even allowed to set foot in the hospital for the duration of the suspension, but I guess Xiumin-hyung took care of that for me.” He grimaces.

Junmyeon takes the oximeter absentmindedly and stares at it. “Soo, are you sure you’re okay?”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Yeah, just dan-…” he groans and slumps forward, hand clutching his chest. “…No, maybe not.” he wheezes out.

“Damn it,” Junmyeon mutters. “Stay put, I’ll go get help.”

--

Kyungsoo squirms under the scrutinizing gaze of the hospital director, Amber Liu. “I don’t suppose I can forbid you from setting foot in the hospital at this rate.” She quirks an eyebrow at him.

“No ma’am, I don’t suppose so…” he mumbles, hands clawing uselessly at his blankets.

A worried ensemble comprised of Junmyeon, Yixing, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae hover by the door, the upset expressions of their faces indicative of their inner turmoil.

Amber sighs. “Very well.  I hope you listen to your doctor and rest well Dr. Do. I don’t want anything to happen to one of my best doctors just because he was too stubborn to obey his doctor.” She gives a weary salute in Kyungsoo’s direction and smiles ruefully at the collection at the door. “Get back to work, all of you. He needs his rest.”

“Y-yes ma’am.” Kyungsoo manages to croak out.

Everyone but Junmyeon and Jongdae scramble out of the room to resume their duties, and they step forward to assess the machines monitoring Kyungsoo’s vitals. “In all my years as a cardiologist, I’ve never believed in broken hearts until now.” Junmyeon offers.

Kyungsoo scoffs, smiling. “Please, it was a complication.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter