Settling In

Boys, Boys, Boys II: Boy vs. Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKzdZK7lZo

Jessie J: Flashlight

-----------------------------------------------

Yoonjung zipped up her backpack and slung it over her shoulder.

She looked around her bedroom for the last time. She couldn’t remember when it had looked so…empty.

Most of her belongings were now in boxes and taken to her new dormitory at Yonsei University. So this is it. This is the start of my own life. I’m moving out. I won’t have dad with me anymore. I won’t have Janggeun with me either. And I won’t be living by JB anymore.

Her stomach churned worriedly. She was excited for college life, but in truth, she was fearful, too.

For the past four years, she had been living a routine life with her best friends. Now, she would be separated from her previous life and thrown into a new one. Who knew what kind of joy and ordeals would be tossed her way next?

Goodbye, my room…Yoonjung tenderly touched her doorway, smiled back forlornly, and headed downstairs.

Janggeun whimpered when he saw her at the base of the stairs. “Hey, you.” She rubbed his ears, and he leaned against her. His eyes bore sadness, and she understood how he felt. “Me, too, buddy,” Yoonjung whispered and scratched his ear one more time before heading out the door.

JB was helping her father put her luggage into the cab. Her father had offered to drive her himself, but she declined. It was going be too emotional to watch him leave her behind, and the good-bye would get that much harder.

Her father heard her coming and looked back. He looked proud but miserable at the same time. She could see his eyes glistening with wetness at their upcoming separation, and she balled her hands into fists to pinch the inside of her palms with her nails to prevent her from shedding any tears.

“You ready?” Her father asked. Yoonjung mustered a small smile and nodded. “Yeah. I got everything.”

JB came over and took her backpack. “I’ll put this in the back.”

“Thanks,” Yoonjung whispered appreciatively. She knew he was just giving her time to say good-bye to her father.

“Did you really pack everything? You didn’t forget anything at all? Of course, if you do forget, you can always come home or I can go to you,” he laughed thickly without meeting her eyes.

Yoonjung softened as tears welled up in her own eyes. “Dad…”

Her father took a step towards her, wrapped an arm around her, and pulled her into his chest. “I can’t believe my baby is leaving home. You’re all grown up ad going to college already. If your mother was here, she’d be so proud of you. She’d never let you go away from home either,” he attempted a joke, and it was successful to make her crack a smile.

“You’re going to be amazing, sweetheart. I know you’ll do your best, and I trust you to make the best decisions to benefit your future. Just know I’ll always be here for you, and I’ll leave your room exactly as it is so you can come by anytime you want.” He closed his eyes and pressed his lips against the top of her head.

“I love you, dad,” Yoonjung whispered. “I love you, too,” her father whispered.

“Don’t skip meals because I’m not here. Don’t work too hard either,” Yoonjung said.

“You nag me more than I nag you,” her father joked.

Yoonjung laughed tearfully, and her father grinned at her.

“Hey…” JB approached them carefully. “It’s time to go. You have to check in by nine.”

Yoonjung hugged her father one last time. “I’ll call you.”

Her father nodded as she stepped back. Yoonjung looked at Janggeun sadly gazing at her from the ground. She bent down and hugged his neck. “Take good care of dad for me. Love you, Janggeun. I’ll miss you so much.” He made a sad whimper in his throat. She kissed his ear and stood up. She waved at her father and Janggeun before entering the back seat of the cab.

JB bowed to her father. “I’ll be going now, ahjusshi.”

Her father nodded and squeezed his shoulder. “Take good care of her. Make sure she settles in well.”

“Don’t worry, ahjusshi,” JB promised with a reassuring smile. He went into the cab, and it drove off.

Yoonjung whirled her head around and watched as her family got smaller and smaller. Her stomach clenched with worry. She hated the idea of her father coming home to an empty house. She hated leaving behind her pet who had been with her since he had been a mere puppy. She hated good-byes more than ever now.

Yoonjung lifted up a meek hand and waved with tears trickling down her face. In the distance, her father waved back. Yoonjung burst into tears and covered her sobs with her hand.

JB softened at the pitiful sight. He wrapped a secure arm around her and pulled her against his side. “It’s okay. It’s going to be okay…” JB rubbed her arm soothingly and sighed as he looked out the window. I hate good-byes, too.

When they arrived at Yonsei University, it was packed with incoming freshmen.

JB carried her suitcases and helped her find her dormitory. Yoonjung checked in and went to find her room with JB tagging along. She knew she had found the right room when she found the boxes she had shipped here by the bunk bed against the further wall of the medium-sized room.

“This it?” JB asked. “Yeah.” Yoonjung took off her heavy backpack and rested it on the top bunk that had not been taken yet.

The other three bunks were filled with belongings already, but her roommates were nowhere in sight.

JB looked around. “Where did your roommates go?”

“I don’t know. Maybe they went to say good-bye to their families,” Yoonjung guessed.

“Here.” JB handed her two photo frames. One was of her family and the other held a photo of her friends.

Smiling, Yoonjung placed the photos on her new desk. She felt at ease already.

“You know what would be nice? If these three bunks belonged to Jackson, Bambam, and Yugyeom. It’ll be like they tricked us and actually came here instead,” JB joked.

“Oh my god. I would love that,” Yoonjung claimed.

“Of course, then I’d beat the crap out of them for trying to be roommates with my girl.” JB pretended to beat someone up, and

Yoonjung laughed. “Stop it.” She whacked him playfully. He grinned and slid his hands into the pockets of his jeans. He checked the time and gave her a wistful look. “I hate to say this, but…”

“You need to go to start your training,” Yoonjung finished for him.

JB nodded. “I wanted to stay and at least have lunch with you.”

Yoonjung crossed her arms with a mock arrogant expression. “Who says I was going to have lunch with you anyways? I could make plans with my new roommates or cute guys on campus I meet.”

JB put a hand over his chest and feigned pain. “Oh, burn. It hurts…argh…” He doubled over.

Yoonjung laughed, hugged his arm, and pulled him up. “Come on, drama king. I’ll walk you out.” They looked at each other and laughed as they headed out of the dormitory.

“Don’t go too far. I’ll leave here.” JB faced her.

Yoonjung looked uneasy once more, and her face grew pale. When he left, she would truly be alone now. There wouldn’t be anybody she knew on campus, and she was scared. JB, sensing her uneasiness, made an effort to brighten the atmosphere.

“Hey, you.” JB cupped the back of her head, pulled her against him, and rubbed his head against hers in a silly manner while ruffling her hair.

“Cheer up. It’s not like I’m departing to another country.” Grinning, he pulled back, only to see her unsmiling. His face fell, and he wondered if he had upset her even more. “Hey,” JB softened his voice as he caressed her hair to fix the strands in place. “Don’t look so miserable. I can’t leave you then. Hmm?”

Yoonjung pulled her gaze up to his face. JB smiled reassuringly and squeezed the tops of her arms. “You’re going to be fine, Yoonjung. You’re a smart girl who got here with her own efforts. Nobody else here can make you feel worthless or belittle you like you don’t belong here. You’re going to have so much fun in college that you’ll forget all about your soon-to-be idol boyfriend.”

“That’s not going to happen,” Yoonjung determined as her voice shook with emotions.

“Come here,” JB whispered. She took a step towards him, and he enveloped her in a warm hug that made her want to cry.

She clutched onto his shirt as tears squeezed down her face. “You’re going to do great. You’re going to be fine on your own. But…if there is a time you need me…you tell me and I’ll come running over to you. I don’t care if it’s in the middle of my practice or if it’s three in the morning. You need me, and I’ll be there. That’s my promise to you, Yoonjung-ah.”

Yoonjung buried her face into his chest. “I’m going to miss you so much.”

“I’m going to miss you, too,” JB declared as he hugged her tightly. When he felt like time really was running out for the both of them, he cupped her face and kissed her tenderly with hope that his sincere feelings would transfer to her and keep her comforted.

He pulled back, and she took a deep breath while slowly opening her eyes.

“I love you,” JB whispered. “I love you, too,” Yoonjung murmured as she slipped her arms around his neck.

JB kissed her temple and hugged her one last time before he really had to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56-XF35-LtU

A-PINK: U YOU

--------------------------------

Yoonjung stopped by the restroom to make sure her face wasn’t red from crying. Once she was calm enough, she went back to her dorm room. She was surprised to hear voices inside.

Warily, Yoonjung stepped inside to find all three of her roommates unpacking. They were talking about the orientation that would be held later that day. She wasn’t sure if she should just come in and disturb their conversation. She was debating what to do when an excited voice called her out, “Hey! You must be our fourth roommate!”

Yoonjung looked up and met a pair of light brown eyes that were sparkling with sociability. The short brown haired girl with friendly eyes and an upturned nose with a mole on the side of it shot off the bottom bunk near the door and grabbed her arm. Yoonjung’s eyes widened in surprise at her forwardness. “Come on in! Don’t be shy! This room belongs to you, too!” The girl giggled and pulled her in.

“So you’re Seo Yoonjung?” A girl with long black hair, a heart-shaped face, and a confident smile greeted her. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Yoonjung opened to reply, but the short-haired girl squealed, “Me, too! The three of us introduced ourselves to one another, but you don’t know us yet, so we’ll introduce ourselves again.” She cleared before smiling. “My name is Han Seulli, and I’m majoring in education. I want to be a teacher for elementary kids. Middle school children are rude, and I’m terrified of high school students.”

Yoonjung chuckled at the funny face she made.

“I’m Yoo Inna. I’m majoring in fashion,” the girl with long black hair introduced.

The last girl had long brown hair, black-rimmed glasses, and a wide forehead but her smile was peaceful and amiable. “I’m Song Dajung. I’m majoring in biology.”

“Oh, me, too,” Yoonjung piped up.

“That’s cool! You two have same majors!” Seulli squealed.

Dajung chuckled at her and then looked at Yoonjung. “What do you want to be?”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter