Writing on AFF (and just writing on sites in general)

In The Deep End: Thoughts on the Mind

Who knows where these rants will go? I'll start off about writing and then end up talking about puppies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's this workshop that I recently managed to read in about two hours or so: it's called How To Be An AFF Writing God and it's the main reason why I've decided to do this (along with expressing my feelings and other stuff) so shout out to them... 

I'll be honest with you, the workshop's pretty point-blank which I should be doing right now... no stalling this time.

What is writing? We'll start off with that. Writing is, from the Wikipedia definition, "the activity or skill of marking coherent words on paper and composing text."

There. That's it. That's writing in it's raw and untouched form. So, technically speaking, your crack!fic is considered "writing."

Now, herein lies the split of the roads: Good writing and bad writing. Good writing is the type of writing that is memorable and popularity of the writing DOES NOT MATTER. In fact, I feel like the bad writing is considered good writing on here, here or there there might be something decent that pops out. Bad writing... well, dear, have you ever read one?

Now, if you're a bratty ten-year old with absolutely NO knowledge of writing: LEAVE. LEAVE THIS. LEAVE THIS ALONE.

Bad writing is something that will make us want to CRINGE; whether the spelling or grammar's atrocious (and your mother tongue is English) there's way too many unoriginal and simply IDIOTIC cliches or you write for the sake of popularity and something to brag about at school!!!! That is unacceptable. 

Don't go in the comments and be like "oh, I'm not one of those writers" and then when I do click whatever stories you hae published and see it's something like "DONGHAE IS IN LOVE WITH ____________" or "I GOT MARRIED TO CHANYEOLOLO" or even some "fancy" title of Celestial Dreams or Daphnean Me (which could be a decent story, thinking about it) then I swear to the holy mother of nature that I will freaking demolish your lying . I don't want to come off as rude, people usually state I am quite the contrary but jesus, why do you feel the urge to lie? 

Anyways, back to writing. There will always be one, two, a million fanfics with those CRAZY CAPITAL LETTERS AND FANCY SYMBOLS or hanguk that nobody will understand and you might not even understand yourself because you just copied that from Google Translate and want to make people feel jealous because of your so proclaimed "Korean Nationality" and make up lies about how you can go to the SM, JYP or Cube buildings and see your idols and you've even been to your idols' concerts and then you rub it in people's faces acting like an ungrateful little brat--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I got a bit off-topic.

Look, let me ask this: Why did you write your fanfiction?

At least 90% of you out there will answer because you want to relieve your fangirl feels and I don't blame you. But, let's be honest, that dream you make online will never be the reality that you will have. Let's say you do meet your favorite idols one day and you've written a fanfic about them; first, how the hell will you feel? You might first freak out at the chance of being able to meet them but if you go all PSYCHO on them will they like you? And if you just happen to think that your fanfic will come true, you're... wrong.

And as usual, I am off topic. 

Let me answer my own question: I ACTUALLY think of the theme when writing!! OMIGOD, RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? So I'd thought it would be cool to use idols and OCs to represent those themes! Like, c'mon, gimme a break. That was probably the best idea I ever had! In a way, it was a win-win situation: people would read about their idols, I would create OCs to fit those themes and I would still be able to convey the message I wanted to share!!!!

Now, I didn't anticipate the actual writing section of the story. I imagined the end where the characters would learn their lessons and go on about their lives, forever affected by my conflict. But no, I didn't anticipate writing about the exposition, rising action, , falling action and the resolution. In my mind, I just wanted to get to the freaking ! 

When I started writing my stories; I was kind of like a lot of other people: I wanted to have FAME. I wanted to be recognized and therefore, the reason as to why I was writing slowly faded away from me, replaced by OBSESSION and GREED. I lost my sense of direction and currently, I've got somewhat of a grasp on it.

I realized one day, fame doesn't fall right into someone's lap. And then, I saw the thing that disgusted me: the featured stories. There were stories, gay stories, arranged marriages (which is still a main topic!) and the content was absolutely REVOLTING. What kind of story is one without depth, without any meaning, without any sense of theme and outtake of life? WHAT KIND OF STORY IS THAT?

And then I learned, people on here didn't care about the depth, the theme, the meaning. The plot was usually some sort of bland BLEGH, hardly a plot whatsoever. And then I also learned, my stories were also a bland BLEGH. So I started to change my view on writing.

Some of the people on here only want to read about their favorite boy band couple (KYUNGSOO, TAOHUN AND OF COURSE HUNHAN) and 'eriously people, do you really think that's gonna happen? Sure, they're friendly towards each other more then to the other members of the group, but what if I was to call you and your bestie the lesbian couple? And started writing fanfics about it? What would you think?

Yeah, I'm asking you. How would you feel? Your first response: I'm not like them, I'm not in a freaking FAMOUS boy/girl band! 

Which brings me to my next point: THEY'RE NOT FAMOUS. NOBODY IN THIS WORLD IS FAMOUS. NOBODY IN THIS WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD CAN EVER BE FAMOUS. JUST BECAUSE THEY'VE GOT 1 BILLION FANS DOES NOT MEAN THEY'RE FAMOUS!

(we're excluding religion here, just so you know.)

No matter how FAMOUS you think you're idol is, THEY'RE NOT. The whole world will not know about your idol!!!! Some of the world, in fact, don't give a single DAMN as to what the frickin' hell your idol does!! 

Ahem, back on topic. 

So all you writers who claim to be sent down by the God of Writing and is truly a 12-year-old who does nothing but sits around all day fangirling about your godly idol and decided to "write" about your made-up pathetic arranged marriage with him by using an OC who's absolutely PERFECT and is an ideal of who you think you are...

...never, ever, ever try to speak to me. No matter how nice you are. Because I don't have the time to listen about your favorite star.

However, a HUGE shoutout to all of you who kept your fangirling in check and actually made up your own freaking plot with your idol and it's not something lovey-dovey or horrifically far-fetched! Keep on writing if you're like that!

Before I go, please, please please don't think of me as a judgemental person, I'm actually a decent person with a horrible migrain atm. 

And, it's OK to write a cliche, but it's even better to make up your own twist. If you've learned anything from this rant, it would be that. Chances are you'll start developing your own plot!

SO, signing off...

Colette. 

FK my migraine is really hurting me. Maybe some sleep will help.