1/2

The Courtship

“Well,” Yifan began, his eyes cast down, suddenly feeling nervous and picking at the skin around his nails. “I would like to request your permission to court your son…” He could already feel his cheeks warm with a blush, stomach in a knot at having to stand before the two dark haired parents before him, requesting their permission to court their one and only son.  They were currently located in the living room, Yifan standing up by the front door upon his recent arrival, with both Zitao’s mother, who’s soft features and quite he had grown accustomed to, and Zitao’s father, who’s sharp jaw and daunting dark eyes sat on the couch, listening to everything he had to say.

He had never done this before, and honestly, Yifan felt as if he could possibly throw up, despite the fact that he was no stranger to the house, nor to the family before him. He had sparked an interest in Zitao some odd months ago, and after slowly getting to know him, Yifan had decided that he wanted to take this relationship to the next level. And that meant being granted permission to do so first.

A silence was washed over them since he had asked, and for a moment Yifan really, really wished that Tao had not been sent upstairs to his room, but rather was beside him, giving that small shy smile and encouraging Yifan not to spill his lunch all over their hardwood floors.

Yet finally Zitao’s father cleared his throat, earning Yifan’s eyes back on the aging man, and he could see the smile he wore behind his usually stern face. “I was wondering when you were going to ask.”

-///-

Being with Zitao was hard, and so, so often he wanted to break the several rules that the two had set up for themselves when the other had agreed to the courtship. Zitao’s lips were just too inviting, and his smell just too intoxicating, and his just too tempting.  But they were waiting. They were saving themselves for marriage.

They had agreed to hand holding, figuring it wouldn’t press them to give in to their ual desires, which, Yifan would begrudgingly note, was immense. There were so many things he had thought about doing, had longing thought to perform, but he hadn’t. Zitao grew up in a more, conservative world than he, and had firmly held onto his beliefs. He simply added it to the list of reasons why he loved the male.

Their first official date since the courtship begun was out for a picnic on one of those light and breezy spring days. Yifan had poured over every last detail, wanting to make sure he had everything down to perfection as humanly possible. He had left a series of clues for Zitao, leading him, eventually, just as the sun set, to a white, horse drawn carriage that would drop him off at the undisclosed location of their picnic.

It was a sight that Yifan whole-heartedly believed was more beautiful than the white blossoms on the trees fluttering to the ground, watching the wonder spread across Zitao’s face as he took everything in, and when his eyes finally found Yifan, the smile that pulled on his lips of utter happiness. It was a sight he wanted to continue to see for the rest of his life.

Besides the interlocking of their fingers, no other body contact was performed. Somehow Yifan continued to be strong, and never once gave in to the desire to feel the plump soft lips under his own, or how the soft curves of Zitao’s frame would feel under his fingertips, and eventually, under his mouth.

But there was something beautiful in the pace in which they chose to go about their courtship. It allowed for them to fall in love not with each other for their lustful desires, but for who they truly were. Zitao had a heart bigger than what seemed possible, and he always, no matter the circumstance, helped others in need. He often worked alongside the homeless, the broken, and the forgotten, filling what had once appeared to be the hopeless with the spark that they need to keep on going. It was breathtaking, watching him kneel before children, taking in the soft voice that he had acquired from his mother, telling them that everything was going to be okay.

He was excellent with all forms of humanity, and sometimes, Yifan wonders how he managed to be so lucky.

-///-

They have been courting for six months now, and each day was considered precious to Yifan. He began to learn more and more about Zitao, and the lines that separated him from the other slowly became blurred. When he had learned as much as he could about him in the amount of time they spent, (and if you really wanted to know the exact hours, Yifan could place money on being able to calculate it) he knew for certain that this was the man of his dreams. Simply saying, life without Tao would be horribly incomplete.

Which is how he found himself once again in the living room, just as he had all those months ago, only this time, stead of uneasily standing by the door, Yifan was now sitting on the couch, right in front of Zitao’s parents. His father only had his eyebrows raised when Yifan had requested this meeting (promptly knowing that Zitao wouldn’t be home), but the look in his mother’s eye gave away the fact that they knew why he was here.

“I’ve been courting Zitao for well over half a year now,” He stated from his seat, shifting slightly to find a more comfortable position. While he didn’t have the ious feeling of ‘I’m going to puke all over your just steamed floors,’ it didn’t mean the nervousness still wasn’t present. Merely it was a slight tug in his stomach, followed by semi-sweaty palms and he stopped wiping on his pants when he caught Zitao’s father watching with a knowing glance. “and well, I’ve never met someone so kindhearted, so loving, and just so- miraculous in my life.” He laughed off the slight unease, feeling himself relax. If he was confident in anything, it was in his feelings for Zitao. “You raised a beautiful son, and I honestly love him more than anything.  I would like your permission to ask him to marry me.”

As rocky as gay marriage was, Zitao’s parents had long accepted their child for who his was, despite their position in the community. Yifan was surprised when his father pushed to his feet, and while Yifan was tall, Zitao’s father was taller, and loomed over his sitting position before reaching out and grabbing his shoulder to lift him up as well. His next move was even more surprising as his father’s arms warped around him, giving him a fierce hug, and a pat on his back.

“Welcome to the family Yifan.” He heard the elder’s deep voice mutter close to his ear before the other was drawing back, and Zitao’s mother was looking at him in what he what appeared to be glee. She too now stood to her feet, her much smaller frame coming over and wrapping her own slim arms around him.

“Oh Yifan, you are so, so good to him.” She said in her typically soft voice, laced with affection. “I know you’ll take great care of him.”

-///-

The weeks leading up to the proposal was difficult. Yifan poured his all into the planning, wanting to make sure, once again, that this would be nothing short of extraordinary, all the while managing not to spill the secrets to Zitao. He behaved like normal, despite the excitement that clutched around his heart, ready, ever so ready, to move on with their relationship.

It was now Yifan’s chosen night to purpose, and everything had been carefully laid out, carefully executed. Zitao would be out for an early dinner with his parents, whom left him at their house to get ready. He had laid out a frosty trail of white rose petals, no small feat considering the distance that they needed to cover in order to lead Zitao in the right direction.

The petals would start right past the front door, weaving through the house and out through the back yard. From there, they would continue to a small trail in the woods, and after a few winding turns, would arrive at the pond that Yifan was waiting at.

White little lanterns floated along the water, candle flickering behind the thin material and illuminating the water as the sun set and the stars began to peek out over the night. Yifan was clad in a matching white suit to stand out from the darkness, his blonde hair swept back from his face. In his pocket laid the ring that he had picked out and ordered just for Zitao, and it now felt heavy within its fabricated jail.

 He waited patiently after receiving a text from Zitao’s mother that the family had just pulled into the driveway, yet felt the nerves prickling upon the back of his neck. Sure, he and Zitao had talked about marriage, but what if, for whatever reason, he said no?

Rustling on the ground snapped Yifan out of his dubious thoughts, and sure enough, Zitao was slowly exposed from the forest’s path. He was stunning, as usual, his own light blonde hair parted expertly from his face. His was wearing what appeared to be a navy suit (although it was hard to tell, given the lack of light), and his face was star-struck, taking in the scene laid out in front of him.

Yifan carefully removed himself from where he was standing a bit away from the scene, walking towards the slightly younger male. He wanted to be quiet so he could continue to observe the face he had come to love, but his footsteps gave him away, and slowly Zitao turned his head over to his shoulder, that loving and piercing gaze hitting him with full force.

“Yifan,” He breathed, chest rising and falling, and hand reaching out to touch the latter. He smiled, reaching the younger, but instead of entangling their fingers like he wished, Yifan dropped to his knee. Zitao’s face registered surprise, perky mouth dropping into a small “o.”

He swallowed, left hand taking Zitao’s, and the right going into his pocket to retrieve the ring. “Zitao,” He began, flicking his gaze up to meet the other’s, and nearly melted into the loving expression so evident on his face. “Will you marry me?” Yifan’s voice was soft still, holding the exquisite silver right before Zitao’s tan ring finger.

The response was almost immediate, Zitao nodding his head and tears springing to his dark, wide eyes. “Yes Yifan, yes.” He nearly proclaimed, and the elder could feel his heart swelling inside of his chest, all earlier doubts vanishing as the ring slid onto the awaiting finger, fitting perfectly as he wiggled his finger.

Just as they had talked about, Zitao pulled his tall frame off the ground, instantly throwing his long arms and wrapping them around his waist, just as Yifan had pictured, had longed for for months. Yet it made the moment that much more special.

If he learned anything from Zitao, it was that some things were worth waiting for.  


A/N First of all, thank you to everyone who subscribed and I hope this wasn’t a huge disappointment for you. I have decided to make this into a two-shot instead of a one-shot. The second chapter will lead up to the wedding, and the changes in their lives as they are now engaged. Please, don’t hesitate to comment or upvote (: