Chapter 24

Shining Diamonds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The night sky shown its performance beautifully with tiny cloud here and there, giving the center of attention to the most beautiful moon ever appear. The stars dance around the black sky, showing it spark while accompanying the moon to make one hell of a view above. Cricket can be heard, giving the perfect music for the night. And the night breeze always there at the right time to complete the perfect night for the couple.

Jong Kook sits at the veranda, looking up at the night sky as he enjoying their performance. He feels so happy today as he spent his time with his beloved girl and her family. He breathe in deeply, searching sensation of the breeze.

“Oppa…”

Jong Kook turns to see Ji Hyo with mug of coffee on both of her hand.

“Come here love…” Jong Kook pats at the empty spot beside him. He takes one of the mug and quickly sip in the black warm liquid down his throat. “Hmm…This is good. How do you know my taste?””

“It’s easy… I watch you make it the other day… I am observant you know. I learned fast. I learned a lot when I’m with you…”Ji Hyo says softly. She drinks from her mug, the same taste as Jong Kook. She didn’t know why, but his preference becomes her favorite now. “Omma really like your cooking, oppa…”

“Jinjja? I’m flattered. Thank you…”

“She may look so quiet earlier when she eats, but her quietness is a sign that she really enjoyed her food. So, you might get wrong impressions.”

Ji Hyo takes his right hand and interlocks their finger. Jong Kook put down his mug and places his left hand on top of Ji Hyo’s. “It’s okay… Maybe I’m a bit nervous back then… I am happy she enjoyed my dishes…” He taps softly her hand, assuring her. “Where is oemonim by the way?”

“Omma are resting inside her room. Wae yo?”

“Nothing… “Jong Kook stares again to his front, looking at concrete forest. “Ji Hyo ya…”

Ji Hyo leans closely to Jong Kook, lay her head on his shoulder. “N-nehh oppa…”

“I am so happy today… Thank you…” He snakes his hand around Ji Hyo waist, pulling her closer to him. “Thank you for all the beautiful moment…”

“It’s nothing… Thank you for always there to create those memories with me oppa…” Ji Hyo leans closer to give him a sweet kiss on his lips. “Saranghae…”

“I love you too…” Jong Kook smiles lovingly. He quickly finishes his drink. “I think it’s already late… it’s better for me to leave first…”

Ji Hyo nods, taking the empty mugs from his hand. “Arasso oppa… Wait for a minute, let me get omma…”

“No no it’s okay… Let her rest…“ Jong Kook pulls her to stand up and walks together towards the door. “You stay and take care of oemonim, arachii?”

“N-neh jagiya..” Ji Hyo smiles when Jong Kook caresses her hair. “Text me when you arrive.”

Planting a quick kiss, Jong Kook nods and bid his goodbye. “I’ll fetch you tomorrow morning, okay… Dream of me tonight…” Jong Kook left the apartment when he receives her answer.

 

The weather suddenly changes when Jong Kook came out from the elevator. Black cloud began to gather, blocking the natural light from the great moon. It feels like a great villain will makes his appearance, which annoyingly brings the gloom aura of the dark night.

Jong Kook walks slowly at the parking lot. He feels a bit anxious as he keeps turning his head around. He feels there is something wrong. It’s too quiet.

His inner combatant began to prepare itself. He clearly knew this kind of atmosphere. Like in the jungle, when it seems too quiet without any sound or noise from other animal, it’s a sign that there are predator nearby. And now, he is in the middle of it. He knows!

He snatches his key out, press it and open his door when he arrives at his Black Porsche. He quickly took his semi-auto under the seat and closes back his door. Professionally, he turns the safety off and pulls the slide back as he is getting ready to shoot. Holding the gun with his right hand, as fast as the wind, he points his gun toward a dark spot not far from his place.

“Don’t you think that was a coward move from you, hiding like that?” Jong Kook says suddenly.

One silhouette came out from the darkness, laughing creepily like a maniac. Pulling down his hoodie, the person spoke as he clapping; “Well done… Well done… Hahahaha…”

“What do you want… Choi Jin Hyuk?”

Jin Hyuk laughs again, pulling out his own gun and point it towards Jong Kook. “It’s a bit surprise that you know my name. Hell - I’m sure you know all of it already. Well… Answering your stupid question… Did it need to be told anymore? I want you to die of course…”

“Then, why you didn’t pull the trigger?” Jong Kook provokes.

“I’m not stupid… I know I can’t win one on one with you… You are the greatest super soldier in the world… Even I shoot from here, I know you can avoid it… Plus, I know your puny squad will arrive in matter of time…”

Jong Kook cynically laughs after hearing his answer. “Then, you should know what you dealing with…”

“Hehh… I know. I just like to challenge myself… especially when I’m facing the great Kim Jong Kook. But… I didn’t expect that you are that kind of person…”

“What do you mean?”

“I didn’t expect that you kind of person who will take everything from me!”

“Don’t you think you a bit aggravating?” Jong Kook grins, mocking his statement.

“Aggravating?” Jin Hyuk clearly pissed. “You killed my father! You take my fiancé! And you said I’m aggravating?”

“Yeah… Aggravating, annoying…Plus you exaggerating things right now…” Jong Kook remains calm. “First, I didn’t killed you father. Second, you are the one who left her. So, it’s your own fault. And correction, she’s not your fiancé anymore. Now she is mine so back off!”

Choi Jin Hyuk remains silent as his voice stuck in his throat. He seems he lost his word to counter Jong Kook’s answer. Angrily, he response; ” you! I know you killed my father!”

“Well you too, bastard! Do you have any proof saying that I killed you father?”

“I….”

“Why? Cat got your tongue?”

“SHUT UP!”

Jong Kook laughs, mocking him for his loss of word. “Next time, get you fact before you sprouting nonsense.”

“Shut your blabbering mouth before I blow your head off. I will get my revenge no matter what!”

Jong Kook snorts softly at his mention of revenge. He still can provoke him, but the idea of it seems a bit dangerous especially when he remember about Ji Hyo.

“Whatever your resentment towards me, I hope you can be a gentleman and didn’t involve her in our fight.”

“What if I do?”

“Then prepare yourself for the worst. Like you said, I’m the greatest right?”

“Tskk… Seem to me you are the annoying one.” Jin Hyuk sneers.

“I’ll defend what is mine…” Jong Kook claims. “You are no longer has any right.”

Jin Hyuk flaming eyes start to cool down. He laughs softly before he claims; “Then I’ll make her mine again. Whoever survives the battle, he will take the prize.”

“Oh… Are you challenging me?”

“If only you have the balls to fight! Hahahahaa”

“Challenge accepted!”

Both of them are in a battle of tension. Both of them are ready to pull the trigger. But either of them was prepared for the worst. The tension was deafening!

For a few second there, none of them try to speak. But their attention suddenly changes. For a normal person, the situation clearly silence without any sound. But it is not for them. Both of them aware and can hear clearly a few cars gliding through the road and it come closer to them.

Without waiting any further, Jin Hyuk quickly fled from Jong Kook’s attention when Jong Kook eyes look at the other side for a second. When he looks back to the front, Jin Hyuk already vanished.

“Dammit… is he a magician or what.” Jong Kook lowers his gun and kept it behind his back.

A moment later, three black sedan came closer to him and all of the person inside came out and group quickly around him.

“You are late.” Jong Kook said strictly.

“I am very sorry, sir…” One of his men says. “It seems he know our movement. I believe he intentionally show himself and make a trap at where will we come from. We’re facing some difficulties earlier.”

“Hmm… I see. He is clever…Tskk… this is so burdensome.” Jong Kook nods slowly. His eyes search for someone after that. “Where is Major Ha?”

Before the guy can answer Jong Kook’s question, Haha voice quickly interfere; “I’m here…”

Haha emerges from the darkness, panting as he takes his deep breath to calm his breathing.

“Where are you coming from?”

“I drop off 100 metre from security gate… Haa…” Haha explains, still panting.

“If you here right now, I assume you didn’t manage to catch him.”

Haha nods quickly, gulping his saliva. “Damn, he is so fast… and his exit route quite challenging too…”

“Hahahaha… It’s okay… He is a sly fox. He vanishes from me in matter of second. How dare he make Dr.Strange trick on me” Jong Kook shakes slowly his head, irritated. He then taps softly Haha’s shoulder. “Yahh… As I expect from you… You already know the situation… So clever huh… Waiting at outside instead coming here…”

“I learn from you hyung…” Haha laughs.

“I bet you are.” Jong Kook laughs along with him. “Alright, go back to base. Early morning I want to conduct an emergency meeting…” He gives an order after his laugh subsided.

“Yes sir!!” All of them say strictly. They quickly enter their respective car and drive out from the parking lot.

“You look unusually calm, hyung… everything good?” Haha asks when only two of them left at the lot.

“That bastard challenged me for a duel, and put Ji Hyo as a stake.” Jong Kook grins. “I’m gonna have fun killing this son of a .” His evil demeanor starts to take over. Still, that’s doesn’t affected Haha as he already get used to it.

“So he provoked the devil huh… Not bad. It’s been awhile since the devil come out.”

“He asked for it…” Jong Kook chuckles a bit, amused. “Kajaa… Let’s go…”

“Wait… Did Ji Hyo know about this?”

Jong Kook shakes his head. “No, she didn’t… She doesn’t have to know… I think it is better this way.” He sighs deeply. “I’ll get rid the problem before she aware of it.”

Jong Kook hop on into his car with Haha and drive away from Ji Hyo’s apartment with determination to ends all the problem as soon as possible.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

He kisses her again in front of her staff and colleagues. This time it’s not a peck or chaste kind of kiss, but it is a half-minute deep kiss. Really brave move by Jong Kook there.

“Oppa! You should stop doing that.” Ji Hyo hits his chest softly after he breaks the kiss. Her cheeks flushed in red, feel embarrass with his stunt.

Jong Kook only grinned mischievously. “Here, take this…” He gives his car key to Ji Hyo.

“Mwuhh? What for?”

“I might not pick you up today, so use my car.”

“Ahh wae…” Ji Hyo whines.

He smiles sweetly at her antic. “You are so cute… I have a huge operation so I might stay at office for tonight.” He caressed her hair lovingly. “I’ll text you. And stay with oemonim okay so you got company for tonight.”

“Arasso oppa… Take care and don’t overwork.” She tilts her head. “But how you want to go to office?”

“I’ve got my driver there.” Jong Kook points at White Audi near the gate.

She gasps when she see Haha’s car. “When the hell that shorty got here?”

“Yah! Language! He followed us from earlier. I thought you know.”

She bites cutely her tongue, feeling ashamed after being reprimand. “Hehehe mianhe…” She holds his hand. “So, you really are telling the truth.”

“Yes… I’m going… Take care of yourself. I’ll call you later, arachi?”

“Neh oppa… Be safe.” She waves at him after giving a sweet peck. Both of them walk away toward their destination.

 

Jong Kook walks quickly toward Haha’s car who already waiting him since 10 minutes ago. His step almost stops when he heard someone calling his name. Almost, as he decide to walk away when he recognize the voices.

“Jong Kook oppa….”

Ignoring the caller, he steadily walks and hops in Haha’s car when he arrived. Wearing his seatbelt, he orders Haha to drive to their office. “Let’s go… We will be late.”

“Is that Yoon Eun Hye?” Haha asks as he drove away from the hospital.

“Yes…”

Both of them shut their mouth after that. None of them bring up the matter further, because for Jong Kook, she is no longer a matter.

 

 

Someone already wait for them when they arrived at their office. As soon as Jong Kook and Haha steps in at the main door, the guy quickly approach them with a couple of file in his hand.

“Sir!” The guy salutes both Jong Kook and Haha.

“Yah yah yah! Can you wait till I arrive at my office?” Jong Kook scolds his staff.

“But it is important sir.”

“I know… But I just arrive… can you give me time to drink my coffee or anything?” Jong Kook winks at Haha and makes him laughs lightly.

“Yah… Be calm… No rush right.” Haha explains. The guy only nods slowly, understand.

“It’s okay… Walk with me and explain.” Jong Kook asks, walk along together with them.

“I just got conformation that our suspect did involve with our other new operation.” Explain the guy, handing the file to Jong Kook.

“No wonder you seems so rush to tell me.” Jong Kook reads a bit of the information. “Hmmm… This is new. It must be the reason why he showing off last night. Alright, call all of our guys and wait for me at meeting room. Bring all the tactical plan and file. I want to check it before we make our move.”

“YES SIR!”

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

On her comfy bed, Yoon Eun Hye lies in confusion. Little by little she starts to feel the emptiness that wrapped around her. No more melodious voices sang a lullaby for her. No more cheerful whistle in the kitchen. No more voices of someone reading at leisure.

Eun Hye rolls herself left and right, trying to find the cause of her loneliness. Jong Kook calm face gradually appeared in front of her. The longer the clearer it becomes.

She leans on the head of the bed. Her memory turns to the event that morning - where he seems to walk away expressionless after she called him as if Jong Kook had never known her. Similar events when they were in the shoe shop the other days. Her memory turns way further in early days when her first meet with Jong Kook. The day her father had arranged for their marriage. She can remember his smile, laugh and how soft spoken he was. Looking to those traits, to be honest she already fall in love but she masked it with anger and ego. After much thought, she willingly accept him and put aside the differences between them – named rank and wealth. For her, Jong Kook seems so nice, honest and surprisingly very good looking.

But, Yoon Eun Hye surely is has a high ego – one thing that never change.

Her ego gains more control than she ever imagine. Her involvement with those who has higher rank and wealth kills her newly budded perception towards Jong Kook. The presence of Ji Hoon has changed everything. His presence clearly exacerbated the situation. Bit by bit her feeling towards Jong Kook changed. Memories of fondness between her and Ji Hoon while they still university student, change her attitude towards Jong Kook.

She began to isolate and push Kim Jong Kook away from her heart. She starts to feel ashamed with the differences between them. She is drifting further into the flow of freedom with Ji Hoon. She didn’t feel any guilt or regret when she betrayed him. She is getting more and more drown inside the pool of sin, ignoring honest advices from Ji Hyo.

Yoon Eun Hye feels proud when she’s getting a divorce as she got out from her relationship with Jong Kook. It feels like the burden she has been carrying all this time are gone.

But now, she began to feel that her life was empty and lonely. The friendliness and joy of Ji Hyo being together with Jong kook on the field she witness every evening made her feel like she was missing something. The passionate and sincere interaction both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook shared everyday made her heart full with hollows.

Weird. Empty. Lonely. Yes lonely. Every day when she got back from work, no more Jong Kook’s Kawasaki 250 can be seen on her compound. She no longer saw the pile of thick book that always accompanying him on his reading table. She no longer heard his singing while cleaning their landscape around the house.

Her evergreen shrubs of roses who grow prettily under Jong Kook’s eyes now sprouting and growing like a forest. The large space in the kitchen now seems so quiet when no more jumble sound and happy whistle of Jong Kook when he cooked. The gold fish in the aquarium died one by one without care as if they also feel Jong Kook’s lost inside the house.

Eun Hye starts to drown. She’s walking down the stair, slowly walks toward Jong Kook reading desk. Slowly, she draws the desk drawer. Empty. There’s nothing left inside the drawer. No more books, pencils and his papers there. Empty. Empty like her heart at the moment.

 

Eun Hye sat down on the chair as she patted her face on the desk.

She stares at the small lamp on the desk with tears in her eyes. She still remembered that was the exact reading lamp she gave to Jong Kook as a present few years ago. At that time they were newly married. That’s the lamp that always accompanying him every single night as he reads his favorite books.

She got up and searches something at the place where Jong Kook organizes all video tapes and disc. Found the tape she wanted, she then played it on the tape player.

She leans on the sofa, watching a vids on the television - it was a video recording of her birthday p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter