No Breathing, Please!

DECEMBER RAIN

 

CHAPTER 3. No Breathing, Please!

“Oh! Glad you made it right on time Miss Park Naru.”

A fat lady in her forties assisted me from the ground floor to the seventh floor where I discussed a few matters with superiors and bosses. I was glad I was able to converse well although everything that was lurking in my mind are butterflies that were initially in Brownian motion inside my tummy. I was referred to another staff who brought me all the way up to the eleventh floor. Next thing I knew he was already unlocking the doorknob where the boys are waiting but because I wasn’t listening I was caught automatically off-guard. Damn right. I forgot to breathe.

.

.

.

“Oh here she is. Hi Ms. Park Naru. Glad to meet you,” the Bangtan Boys’ manager out his palm and we shook hands. I was shaking and ice-cold and he probably noticed that but it was a relief he didn’t say anything. For a second I wanted to jump right out the window because the pressure is killing me I think I’ll suffocate any minute later. If it were not for the huge shelf that covered the boys who were lined up on a sofa set, I would have immediately lost consciousness.

In a split second, everything felt surreally magical. Like the shelf faded out and Jeon Jungkook was already sitting so beautifully hot on the swivel chair in front of the huge vanity mirror. As usual, I didn’t hear any part of what Manager Kang was saying except the part when he finally said “Let’s start off with JungKook.”

Stock-still and almost not breathing, I inched my way closer. And before I could breathe out a big sigh, all seven of them stood up to bow down and greet me.

“Annyeonghaseyo Miss Park Naru. Please take good care of us.”

I saw Jimin’s eye smile then I saw Rap Monster’s smirk and Jin’s dimples and Suga’s smoulder then J-Hope’s cute eyes and Kim Taehyung’s all-teeth smile. I looked at them all up-close except for Jungkook, my ultimate bias. I am not ready to die any time today.

“Oh by the way, I presuppose you know all these guys’ names, don’t you?” Manager Kang saved my dying situation.

“Y-y-yes of course Mr. Kang. You don’t have to worry about it. A profile of each member was included in the portfolio the company handed to me just yesterday,” I tried not to sound awkward or I might get fired right there and then.

“Great. So maybe we should start now. I requested a few make-up artists and other staff to assist you just in case. They’re already on their way. Everything you’d need is in here. Make-up paraphernalia, props etcetera. For now I’d leave this whole thing all up to you. I need to recheck the studio first. Maybe you could start off with Jungkook while waiting for the extra staffs. See you later guys.” And off he left.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo Naru-noona!”

My heart was in total mess. It was Kim Taehyung, on his shoulder was Jimin’s arm and they were actually starting off a conversation with me!

“Oh. Y-y-yes. Hi. Hello. I mean, good morning. What’s up? I mean, what’s poppin’? I mean, hi!”

Both of them laughed out loud at my stupidly lame reaction and I swear I turned tomato.

“W-why are you laughing?”

“Noona I think you’re funny. We’ll get along so well,” Kim Taehyung was still laughing so hard so I faked a laugh as well. How could he be so cute!!

“Nura noona, be honest, are you an ARMY? How did you know we use ‘what’s poppin’? Haha!” Jimin was giggling.

“N-no. I’m not. Uhm.”

Rap Monster suddenly popped out of nowhere and saved the awkward situation, “Noona I think you should start with Jungkook’s makeup. Don’t mind these dorks. They’re good for nothing.” And he laughed while V tried to pretend strangling Rapmon’s neck. Then off I inched near Jungkook who’s silently and patiently waiting for his make-up.

The whole room seemed to give me a hospital atmosphere instead. The boys were playing around but as I stood near Jungkook, all that was audible was my heartbeat. I am in silent panic. Oxygen was scarce. My eyes wouldn’t stop blinking. My blood streams stopped. I’m almost numb. In my mind I was like ‘so this is my version of dying’.

 

I breathed in. Heavily. I had to try putting myself back together else I would mess up with their make-ups and they’d hate me forever – which is worse than getting fired. Jungkook’s scent became more vivid I can almost feel his body heat. His pores were tight and his lips looked soft and sumptuous. Obviously, I spent quite a longer set of seconds staring at him like he’s a poster glued on a wall …and boom!

“Noona? What are you doing?”

Damn. J-Hope saw me and my overt delusions; perhaps clearly and the whole time since I approached Jungkook.

“Eh? Nothing. I-I was just figuring out what concealer shade should I use.”

J-Hope believed me and Jungkook wasn’t giving a damn at all. In fact he never said anything nor moved a finger nor said hi. And I just realized that. In my mind I was asking if he’s just having a bad day or maybe he’s just really this mean and I never knew. Or perhaps, but I hope not, he detested the way I look.

I picked up a brush and a concealer two shades lighter than his complexion, squeezed it on a sponge applicator and slowly smudged it against his right cheek. Breathing for me was not real at the moment. Inside, I was half-screaming and half-wailing.

“Hi …Jeon Jungkook. I’m Naru.” Finally I have worked up on my courage, fearing that this might be the last time I’d be this near again because I might just get fired for being such a total mess today. Although those words felt like tons of iron when I spat them.

“Uhm,” he nodded. HE JUST NODDED. That was all!! That was his reply! That was all! He just freaking nodded!

Ugh. Suddenly I felt a tinge in my heart, wanting to remove this entire fake make-me-ugly make-up stunt. Suddenly I wanted to poof out and slit my wrist. Suddenly I felt rather gloomy. Everyone else was being nice and accommodating, and yet my ultimate bias, who’s sitting almost just a sigh away, wouldn’t even talk to me or look at me or anything. I felt so small and unneeded.

Then I found myself fast-paced applying highlighters and bronzers and eye shadows and what-nots. To be honest, the only thing that makes me do good on whatever I’m doing is when I’m feeling really down or depressed. Seriously.

And just like that, I was dumbfounded.

 

-end of chapter-