Achilles' Heel

DECEMBER RAIN

CHAPTER 2. Achilles' Heel

 

Isn’t it a cliché? How I woke up one day and I am no longer Park Shin Hye? I no longer wake up to festive breakfasts and grandiose clothes. I don’t breathe in mansion air anymore and worse, I can no longer look pretty, literally. I lost 100% of my friends and everything else is all but a premonition right now.

The last memory I have of my father is the day I ditched my class just so I could attend his awarding ceremony; him being acknowledged as one of Korea’s most influential conglomerate executives. Had it not because Mom passed away too soon, she would have been more proud than I am. Next thing I knew, I was being dragged out of class by Mr. Kwon, my father’s secretary whom I consider my second father. It was initially a blur; the whole situation is in total panic. Then I was told Daddy was shot by a man named Kim Jae Won who just got out of prison for defrauding a lot of our company’s dealings and is now allegedly being haunted after sending series of death threats to Dad.

Mr. Kwon tried not to tell me I was included in the death threats, but it was too late I found it out sooner than they could warn me. Jae Won lost a vast amount of his properties and stock shares subsequent to his incarceration and now he had plotted a major revenge against us and our companies. 

I never saw Dad after that incident. Kim Jae Won vowed to kill me too. I was immediately sent to Paris by Mr. Kwon.  There were no times for sappy goodbyes. Three years had passed and my thoughts are still bickering whether or not I should be glad instead because I never saw Dad’s corpse. I just can’t see him dead. I will most probably break down at the sight of him drowning in his own blood –pale and cold. All the wailing and tears happened in Paris. I’m pretty sure Dad would agree as well that my safety is of primary importance and priority as of this moment.

My two years in Paris was spent for a crash-course degree in fashion and styling. But I was just not the kid who fangirls over Eiffel Tower and romantics. Two years felt numb and empty. I could no longer stand the fact that Kim Jae Won is still alive and full-heartedly ready to take over all our properties. So I ended up gathering all kinds of courage and now, here I am in Korea, best actress in a pretending role.

My decision to change identity was not one for play. This was the best solution I could think of to help Mr. Kwon in saving whatever was left of our group of companies my father has built for decades. In fact I contacted Mr. Kwon and sought for his advice before I finally decided to move back to Seoul.

Well I never really had any complaints about this timeworn small house I have been calling home for more or less a year –well, except for some insects and other six-legged freaks I never really encountered before. An old couple living near this house have been my only friends for a year. Either I spend dinner with them or them in my humble abode. The Park couple gave me a chance to take care of grannies I never had met my entire life.

It was a good thing I have this weird talent in prosthetics. Back in senior high, I never fail to win all kinds of ‘costume and make-up’ awards. I even had a classmate who literally fainted believing I really am a zombie on my Halloween costume. Dad has to pay all his hospital bills and that student immediately requested to move to another school.

 

-end of chapter-