Chapter Eight

Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            The sunlit room soon became dark as clouds once again dominated the horizon. Thunder booms as last night’s storm is resurrected from the land of the dead. A cold sweat begins to trickle down my neck and back, weaving their way down the labyrinth of goose bumps on my skin. My stomach begins to twist in nervousness, as my throat becomes parched. However, as if struck by lightning, I have an epiphany. Confidence soon replaced all sense of doubt lingering in my mind. Time seemed to freeze as I slipped my fingers through YoungJi’s.

            “YoungJi and I like each other,” I announce to KangJoon.

            “I noticed,” he responds, clearing his throat. He diverts his eyes, still embarrassed at the scene he just witnessed. The tension in the room remains heavy. I can feel YoungJi’s hand squeezing my own. Her palm is drenched with sweat, as she hides her face behind my shoulder.

            “Don’t hide,” I tell her. “Why should we be embarrassed? I’m proud to be with you. I want the world to know.”

            “Yah, Wang Jackson. That’s not what I’m embarrassed about. I’m embarrassed because KangJoon came in the room while you had your hand up my shirt,” she yells, punching my shoulder. Her face is blazing red.

            “Oh, yeah,” I say with a blank look on my face. I close my eyes and smile sheepishly, remembering the deliciousness of that moment. Another strong punch connects with my shoulder, snapping me back into reality. The three of us soon find ourselves laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

            The tension begins to dwindle as KangJoon collects his dropped baggage. However, my eyes dart to KangJoon.

            Suddenly putting the pieces together I ask him in utmost seriousness, “You didn’t look did you? When YoungJi was, you know, in that state?”

            “I saw enough,” he admits, glancing at YoungJi.

            Moving slightly in front of YoungJi I warn, “Since we are a couple now make sure you don’t do anything seductive towards my YoungJi. Keep your tall and handsome face to yourself.”

            My eyes follow KangJoon as he nudges me aside, placing his hands on YoungJi’s shoulders. I notice the slight increase in her breathing as he gently straightens her shirt. He continues by quickly fixing the stray hairs along YoungJi’s face.

            “You mean something like this?” KangJoon asks mischievously.

            I can see the pleasure he finds in teasing me as he bursts out into laughter. I forcefully place myself between them. Although I know he’s teasing, jealousy and insecurity grows in the pit of my stomach.

            “Don’t worry. YoungJi and I are just friends. Besides, I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. Nobody can get in between that,” he says, moving to put away his luggage. My smile beams through the dimly lit room, as I give YoungJi’s hand a reassuring squeeze.

            Gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter