Chapter Eighteen

Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            YoungJi and I stand on the outskirts of the small coffee shop. The delicious fragrance of freshly brewed coffee hangs in the air. I discreetly peek through the side window, discovering Hyuk sitting in a corner booth, peacefully sipping his coffee. My lips twitch, his calm and kind demeanor infuriating me. Grabbing my phone from my pocket, my thumbs slam against the helpless screen.

            “Come outside. Behind the coffee shop.”

            “Why? Come inside and have a drink. For some reason, I feel I need to remain somewhere with witnesses.”

            “Hyuk wants us to go inside,” I tell YoungJi, agitated.

            “Alright, then let’s go inside. He won’t bite. Hyuk is one of the kindest people I know,” YoungJi says.

            “Sure,” I say sarcastically, rereading his texts in my mind.

            YoungJi shoots me a disapproving look.

            “Let’s hurry, I have to get back soon. I have a schedule in one hour,” she continues.

            We weave through the cozy coffee shop, until we are sitting across the table from Hyuk. Our eyes connect, electricity crackling through the dimly lit shop. Shifting his gaze, Hyuk’s eyes turn soft as he looks at YoungJi. I territorially place my hand on YoungJi’s back, finding pleasure in Hyuk’s jealous stare.

            “So…” YoungJi says, in attempt to break the silence.

            “So…” Hyuk mimics.

            YoungJi laughs lightly at his antics, her smile brightening the room.

            “So adorable,” I hear Hyuk say under his breath.

            “Huh?” YoungJi asks.

            “Oh nothing,” Hyuk reassures her.

            Well aware that I heard him, he smirks.

            “How have you been?” Hyuk asks YoungJi.

            “I’ve been better,” I cut in.

            A heavy silence rests over our corner table. Feeling restless, I speak.

            “Let’s just get to the point. I don’t appreciate you sending my girlfriend texts declaring your undying love for her. I feel that you’re disrespecting my relationship with YoungJi, as well as our friendship.”

            “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way, but you can’t dictate my actions. Who are you to tell me who I can love?” Hyuk says defiantly.

            “She’s my girlfriend. Does that not mean anything to you? Especially since we are supposed to be friends? Friends don’t go after each other’s girls,” I say loudly, anger building within me.

            “Not when it involves YoungJi,” Hyuk shouts, his calm demeanor completely shattering.

            “Stop,” YoungJi demands.

            Placing her hand on mind, YoungJi turns her attention to Hyuk.

            “Hyuk. I genuinely appreciate your affections for me, but I’m with Jackson. I agree that the text messages and calls need to stop. Please understand that I don’t share the same feelings as you. I’m in love with Jackson, and I believe our relationship will continue for a very long time, if not, forever,” YoungJi says wholeheartedly.

            Although I’m furious, my anger lessens watching pure devastation spread across Hyuk’s face. His eyes are full of hurt, his cheeks burning with embarrassment.

            “I see,” Hyuk says, his voice cracking.

            “I hope we can still be friends,” YoungJi says sincerely.

            Hyuk doesn’t respond, lowering his head.

            Our heavy conversation comes to a close as my watch beeps. Glancing at the numbers, YoungJi jumps in panic as she realizes the time.

            “I’m supposed to be picked up from my dorm in ten minutes!”

            “Should I call a taxi?” I ask.

            “No need,” Hyuk says softly. “My manager is waiting in the parking lot. I’ll have him drop you off.”

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter