Chapter Fourteen

Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            A violent wind blows through the bountiful trees surrounding the share house. Leaves fall victim to the powerful gusts, but not without a fight. They brush against each other, creating a symphony of nature. My eyes flutter open, my consciousness in limbo between the world of dreams and the world of the living. The leaves’ concert caresses my ears, gently waking me. I lie in silence, as I listen to the songs of fallen leaves. The sky is dark, with the exception of the moon. The moon beams, illuminating my room with its light.

            I check the time. 11:01pm. YoungJi and I slept through the majority of the day. Shivering from the chilly night air, I feel heat emanating against the right side of my body. A small smile escapes me, as I watch YoungJi wriggle in a blanket burrito. This is her punishment for hoarding all the blankets. She’s so tightly wrapped that she can’t move. I laugh, my cheekbones meeting my eyes as I observe this beauty. Moving to slip on my boxers and tank top, YoungJi rises. She peeks her head out of the end of the blanket cocoon. Lifting her arms, she breaks out of the cocoon, emerging more beautiful than any butterfly. Our eyes meet. We speak through gentle smiles and laughter, as language can no longer express our love for each other.

            YoungJi quietly puts on her t-shirt and underwear, moving to snuggle against me under the toasty blanket.

            She runs her fingers through her hair looking displeased, “I need to take a shower.”

            “Oh. Are you saying this because you want to shower with me?” I say mischievously.

            “No thanks,” she says. “Showering with people has never been my thing.”

            “Hrm. I think I can change that,” I say, pulling YoungJi closer.

            “I doubt it,” she continues. “But then again, if it’s you, then maybe.”

            I see a lustful twinkle in her eye, but my mind is occupied by a recent memory.

            “Yah, YoungJi. Should we do a Jackson’s Hair Salon part 2?” I say cheerfully.

            YoungJi watches me with a mixture of skepticism and intrigue.

            “I can wash your hair and in return you have to do something I say,” I grin.

            “Sure, why not?” She laughs lightly.

            “I think you’re beginning to enjoy doing what I want,” I say with a high-pitched giggle.

             As if flipping a switch, YoungJi smacks my stomach.

            “The only reason I’m doing this is because it means less work for me,” she says authoritatively.

            I pout, my puppy eyes complimenting my quivering bottom lip.

            “Do you have to hit me so hard?” I ask shimmying my shoulders.

            Ignoring my cuteness, she stands and heads toward the bathroom.

            “Are you coming,” she asks, offering her hand.

            Silently, I take her and lace it with mine.

            In preparation for my salon, I grab a chair and place it directly in front of the sink. I find a small pillow and set it on the top of the chair to support YoungJi’s neck. Waiting while I set up, YoungJi leans against the bathroom doorframe. I feel self conscious under the heat of her gaze.

            “Yah. Why do you keep staring at me?”

            After a moment of silence she asks, “You don’t do this to anybody else right? Offering to braid or wash their hair?”

            “Nobody other than my mom,” I say honestly.

            Surprised by her question, I observe her carefully. My mood brightens immediately.

            “Ooo. Are you jealous? Heo Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter