Too Much to Take In

Ignite my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Min Ho grabbed his jacket and jumped onto the firetruck. Min Ho was just underneath the chief of the fire department, he was the team leader. He was working his hardest so that he would be elected next chief but it was so hard to concentrate when a 26 year old doctor (intern) wouldn't leave you alone. His next door neighbor was such a hassle. Right now he was once again on his way to stop a "fire" that she has started. He knew she did it on purpose, he didn't know why but it must be very fun to see him annoyed. She was the girl who no one understood, she came from a nice family so why is she so reckless? She is a doctor, she should be more careful of the things that she does. Jung Il Woo and Kim Woo Bin were his bestfriends. He got along with everyone. He came from a well to do family, so he never had problems. He would always behave and he is charming. So what did he do to deserve such punishment?

"Out of the way." He yelled as he made his way up the stairs. There is no urgency, yet he still makes it seem like it. When he reached the door, there she stood with a fire extinguisher in her hands. He entered the apartment and walked to the kitchen. There was no flame but there was smoke surrounding the stove.

"Oppa!" Shin Hye beamed.

He turned around abruptly. "Don't call me that."

"I see you're team leader again." She smiled warmly. She remembered that the last time she caused a fire, he came in screaming at her. He forgot all about the fire. The other guys had to stop it. The chief scolded them for taking so long to put out a fire. Kim Woo Bin told her things didn't look good that day. The chief called Min Ho to his office and they were talking for more than 2 hours. When Min Ho came out he didn't have his badge. He was suspended from work for a week. Shin Hye saw that he came home more often. She was mad she couldn't go see him, eventhough like always he would push her away. Luck wasn't really on her side, the week that he stays home her superiors give her a lot of work and even send her for training. That was about 3 weeks ago. Shin Hye admits she overdoes things, but she just can't help it. The other nurses and doctors at the hospital fawn over him every time he comes. It gets on her nerves. Some of them are so lucky, they get to talk to him and he doesn't even get angry. Its more like the opposite he smiles and laughs but as soon as he sees her, the frown comes right on. Why is it that he dislikes her so much? Now that's a question she would always ask herself.

He exhaled sharply. "Stop! Stop making fires. You're a doctor, don't you care about other's life? You are putting the whole building in danger with all the fires you have had. There has been a minimum of 15 fires since you moved in 3 months ago. There are other people who have true emergencies, this is wasting the time of the workers at the station. If you can't cook why try? Just eat out all of the time or go home to your rich house and get them to cook food for you." He was annoyed at the fact, that she always acts like everything's fine.

Shin Hye bit her lip. What he said was true. But who can help it. All she does is think about him nonstop. She doesn't pay attention when she cooks. "Stop saying that."

"What right do you have?! Tell me!" He was getting angry.

"Why do you always have to bring up my family? Don't you understand that going to them makes me miserable. Put yourself in my shoes. What would you feel? Everyday my superiors, my coworkers and even you talk about my mistakes. Well my superiors praise me but that's not the point. Every one is always telling me why I behave in such a way when my family is so good and grand. You wouldn't ever understand what it feels like to live under a roof where your own family turns agaisnt you!" She screamed. "I'm sorry about the fire. Today wasn't a good day, my mind was filled with problems. I'll try my best to not let it happen again."

Min Ho was surprised with her behavior. She has never raised her voice at him. She would always stare at him and give him compliments. No matter how angry he got, she would be patient and calm. She never even said sorry for all the other fires, she would just tell him to forgive her and cling onto him like a child. He didn't know what to do now, this situation has never happened before.

Kim Woo Bin entered the room. "Hey sister in law." Kim Woo Bin was like the clown of the group. He wasn't immature but he liked to tease Lee Min Ho. He knew that a lot of girls like his friend and he has too admit Shin Hye didn't look like one. He was shocked with her behavior and realised no girl can handle Min Ho's charm. He liked Shin Hye, she was a cool girl. He would often joke around with Min Ho telling him that him and Shin Hye were like an old married couple. Min Ho would glare at him all day and he would just laugh. He knows that Shin Hye is daughter of the owner of the biggest hopitals in Korea. He has talked with her and she's not what she seems. She lives under the constant pressure of her family.

"Hey Woo Bin-ah." She waved her hand. Her face didn't look all too cheerful today.

"Yah how can you make me walk all the way up here when you already put out the fire. Anyways I see you learned how to use a fire extinguisher. Why did you call?"

"I panicked, this one was bigger than the other ones. When I got back to my senses I remembered what you taught me." She smiled proud at her accomplishment.


"Min Ho lets go. We have to tell the residents that everything's fine, then we have to go back to the station. The chief wants to talk to you." Woo Bin told him.

Min Ho broke away form his thougts at the mention of the chief. "He wants to see me?! Why?"

"I don't know but he said it was urgent."

"Okay lets go." He turned to Shin Hye who was standing by the door now. "Be more careful!"

She nodded. Even though she will probably do it again.

"Shin Hye lets go out to dinner to celebrate that you can finally put out a fire." Woo Bin asked.

She smiled. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Of course, you have to look like a doll okay?"

"I can't promise to look prettier than what I already am." She stuck her tongue out. "By the way where's Il Woo oppa?"

"Hahaha very funny, but I'm serious its been a long time since we have dinner. And him why are you thinking about him when you have me?"

"Text me the place." Kim Woo Bin was a good friend, he always listened when you needed a listening ear. He was one of the few who actually knows what she gets away from. "Tell him I said hi. Now go, I don't want you guys to get in trouble."

Kim Woo Bin stepped out first and patted her arm. "I don't know what it is but it will get better." He walked away.

Min Ho picked up the fire extinguisher and put the pin back in. When he settled it down he walked out.

Shin Hye grabbed his arm. "I'm sorry. I bet you're getting in trouble with the chief because of me."

He removed his arm from her grip. "If you are really sorry then don't cause anymore fires." He left.

Shin Hye closed the door and leaned against the door. "When will you notice me?" Its true that when she first moved in it was an attraction. The first time she caused a fire was accidental. When he came, she was surprised. He didn't look like a firefigther. He was a natural leader. He was charming. At first he wasn't rude to her but slowly he became annoyed. She did try to get closer to him but he was just so far away. Her feelings grew over time and no matter how hard she tried to get rid of them it didn't work. That's when she started causing fires frequently, her dad would call and scold her like if she were still a child, she just didn't care. Shin Hye snapped out of her thoughts when her phone rang. She could hear the firetruck starting. She picked up her phone expecting it to be her dad and answered it. "Hello?"

"Park Shin Hye."

She looked at the screen and realized it was an unknown number. "Yes? Who is this?"

"This is the chief of the fire station Min Ho works at. My name is Kim Seung Wook."

Shin Hye was confused, 'why would he call me?' "What can I help you with?"

"You know that you have caused a lot of fires over the last three months."

"Ah yes, sorry about that." She said sheepishly.

"The thing is that the inspectors of the building are thinking that they should shut down the building."

"What?!! They can't do that."

"I'm afraid they can. Here's the thing, a lot of people are going to lose their home if another couple of fires happen in that building. There is somethings you have to do. You are a doctor so you know that safety is important."

"Can you just get to the point? What do I have to do?" She said. It was surely a bad thing. The only way to be close to Min Ho is knowing that he lives right next door, but I mean he is distant with her, so is he ever close?

"You can't live by yourself anymore."

"What?! I don't have anyone who can live with me."

"How about your parents?"

"I prefer to live on the streets than to live with them." She muttered. "Can I just have like a warrant stating that I can't go close to the kitchen."

The chief was quite surprised that she would say such things. Her family was well-known and people would love to be in her position. "I'm sorry but things don't work that way."

"Then what do you expect me to do? I mean its kind of unrealistic for things like this to happen. You can't just tell me what to and what not to do."

"Listen I know it doesn't seem right, but I am really not in the mood to get the police involved. It just means more paper work for me. This is why I called Min Ho. Talking about him he's here. You'll hear about it soon."

They hung up.

Shin Hye sighed. "I'm so stupid. This is what I get for liking someone so much. Can time just go fast? I need a friend. I need a drink. He didn't tell me what the plan was. Like seriously? How are you so sure Lee Min Ho will tell me about it?!"

*********************

"Min Ho, take a seat."

Min Ho sat down and he could feel his hands shaking. He doesn't want to get fired. Losing his job was a weakness.

"I'm not going to fire you so relax."

"How did you know?" His voice quavered.

"You look nervous."

"Why did you call? I think its better to get to the point."

"Its about your neighbor."

"Are you going to lower my position?"

"Of course not, you are the best leader I've had since I became chief. For some reason whenever there is a fire people would listen to you. I'm sorry for suspending you, the place was a mess, you know about it since you saw it for yourself once you were back. Remind me never to put Kim Woo Bin as team leader ever again."

"If anything I should be sorry, I should have been more careful. I'm sorry my personal feelings got in the way of work. By the way you're wrong, not everybody listens to me, my neighbor doesn't, she just keeps on causing fires." He was happy to hear that the chief had such high regards of him.

"Nonsense, no need to be sorry. It happens. And one person is nothing we can't take care off."

"What are you trying to say?" His eyes widened.

"Ish this kid! We are not going to hurt her, do I really look that bad?" The older man chuckled.

"Sorry."

"Let me get to the point."

"Please do." Min Ho couldn't take the suspense anymore. What did the chief mean by take care of her?

"Park Shin Hye can't live by herself anymore."

"Then what does this have to do with me?"

"She doesn't want to go back to her parent's house. I was thinking that maybe you two can live together."

"What?! That's impossible! No way I would never live under one roof with her."

"Listen, I trust you the most. You are responsible. You could lose your home if she can't find someone to live with."

"How can I lose my home? Besides doesn't she have any friends."

"The inspectors, they think that the building is dangerous because of the amount of fires.They want to close it down if a couple more fires occur. I asked my investigato..r friend to find everything about her. She has friends, some female friends but they can't take Shin Hye. The rest are male friends, they seem to get along with her, but some already have their families and some are idols."

Park Shin Hye!!- Min Ho thought. He was mad and enraged. Thanks to her many people could lose their homes, what they worked so hard to get. "Chief, she could live with her idol friends."

"That could start scandals and rumors, it could ruin careers. Bad option. Come on, think about it. In the end I think you will say yes." The chief heard the rumors at the station. Shin Hye likes Min Ho, they think that maybe he likes her too but he just works too much and never gives his attention to women. They say that he is always first on the scene. He tells them its because he's team leader but they tell him that he looks worried without realizing it.

"I'll think about it. Even though I know my answer will still be no."

"Min Ho you aren't only ensuring that those people stay in their home, but ensuring that Shin Hye is safe and no fire could harm her."

"Why would I care about her?" He whispered. He bowed and walked out of the room. His colleagues dragged him to the lunch room and sat around him. Min Ho just sat still. 'Why is he sure that I will say yes?'

Woo Bin nudged him. "So, what did he say?"

"Why do you guys want to know so bad?"

"Did he fire you? We want to get ready for the opening."

"No. His exact words were," He made quotation marks with his fingers. "you're the best leader I've had."

"Then?"

"He told me to live with Shin Hye so that another fire won't happen."

Il Woo spoke up. "That's not fair, he should have asked me."

The guys laughed. "Yah Il Woo, you don't have a house to yourself, some of the guys here live with you."

"Did you say yes?" Kim Woo Bin asked ignoring the other guys.

"Nope, he told me to think about it."

"What's there to think about? Out of a lot of women we have seen in our jobs or just in clubs Shin Hye is by far the iest." The others agreed.

"Do you even know her personality?" He admits he did feel something burn in his veins when they would call her that way.

"You don't either." The men agreed once again.

"I think I'll go talk to the chief, maybe she should live with me." Il Woo said. He stood up but Min Ho grabbed his shirt and sat him back down. "What?"

"Yah Il Woo a girl would not feel comfortable living with so many guys, just shut up." Woo Bin said.

"But its safer." Il Woo tried to defend himself.

"No its not, you guys have the tendency to make a mess whenever your drunk."

"That's only on fridays!" He argued.

"Its still doesn't count besides the chief trusts Min Ho. Now Min Ho what were you going to say?"

"I have to talk to her." He told them.

"About?" Woo Bin asked.

"Living together."Min Ho didn't like how they all wanted her. He decided he was going to say yes. He thought maybe its better to one up them.

"Guys we lost once again." Il Woo shook his head in defeat. Woo Bin had a silly smile on his face. 'This is going to be interesting.'

When all the guys left and it was only Min Ho, Woo Bin, and Il Woo, Woo Bin decided to text Shin Hye. "Guys I have to go."

"Why?" They both asked.

"I have a dinner date with Shin Hye." He grabbed his jacket.

"You are not inviting me." Il Woo pouted.

''Nope, I have to talk to her."

Min Ho stood up, "Have fun on your date." He said sarcastically. Once again the blood in his veins burned. He left the room.

"Someone's jealous."

"Woo Bin can I go?"

"Nope, I'm serious. There something I have to talk to her about."

"Oh then, have fun on your date." Il Woo mimicked Min Ho. They both laughed.

**********************

Shin Hye and Woo Bin sat in front of each other in a two story restaurant at the east of Gangnam.

"Shin Hye lets talk about it. Its not letting you focus." Woo Bin treats Shin Hye like if she were his younger sister.

"Woo Bin my father called me to his office today." The doctor told her to go and Shin Hye couldn't help but to breathe deeply. If there was one person she hated the most it was her father. He was controlling and demanding. He would do whatever it takes to reach his goal.

"What did he say to scare you?"

"I wasn't scared but once again I was disappointed and sad. Then I was angry."

"Did he yell at you and point out your mistakes."

"He told me he is thinking of arranging a marriage between me and the second son of TLS company."

"What?! Why that newspaper company?"

"He told me they have a lot of connections with the government and have power in the politics world. He told me this could be our chance to get richer and powerful."

He squeezed her hand that was laying on the table. "What did you tell him? Besides connection with the government and the hospital doesn't make sense."

"I refused, I told him there was no way he could sell me off. I told him why would he want political power, and he wouldn't answer. All he told me was that it was none of my business. Then I just started questioning him."

"He must have been angry. Something's off maybe if you can find out something, you could use it as blackmail to get out of the marriage."

"Angry, I wish. He was infuriated. He started banging on his desk telling me that my life was a mistake. He cursed the day I was born. Why do most people think that my family and life is so great?" She paused. "How can I check what he's up to?"

"People always see what's on the outside, instead of what's on the inside. They like the outlook. Your family is rich. Whenever your dad is in public he is portrayed like a caring man because that's what he makes people think with his action. And dig through his stuff if you want to find out anything. "

"I wish I could be someone common. Woo Bin, I think you are forgetting that in no way possible will I go near that house. And he probably has nothing in the office."

"You are who you are. I know I can't tell you how to live your life but just do something to get away from your parents or talk to them. Then you will have to fight it."

"They won't listen. I think I already declared war."

"What are you going to do then?"

"I'm not going to meet with the family or answer their calls."

"What if they get bodyguards to take you?"

"I don't know but that would make them look bad."

"Oh I have some news for you."

"What is it?"

"Min Ho will soon be living with you."

"Oh my god! This is what the chief was planning?!" She should feel lucky but he is probably going to strangle her.

"Why aren't you happy? You told me you wanted to get closer to him."

"I do want to get closer to him but he just doesn't notice me. Besides he is going to kill me."

"Why? And believe it or not he notices you. But either he doesn't know it yet or its not in the way you want it to be."

"I can't believe it, he can't stand me."

"It is no secret that you have deep feelings for him. This is your chance to get closer."

She sighed and hung her head low. "I wonder if there is already someone he likes. I mean look at me I am not beautiful compared to the girls he hangs around with."

"Why are you always bringing yourself down? To everybody you are always thick faced and cheerful, but when you are with me you become pitiful."

"Sorry, you probably have your own problems and I'm just talking about myself. Having a different personality helps me forget and become stronger. It also helps me not get attached to anybody."

"Then does that mean you like me? I hate to say this but you seem like my sister."

She laughed. "I feel bad for your sister, she has to see you everyday of her life."

He rolled his eyes. "Getting back to the point, are you going to live with him?"

"No! I mean as much as a part of me screams yes, I have a mind. It is wrong for me to burden him. Besides he probaby keeps secrets from you since you have a big mouth."

"When do I have a big mouth. I take all the things people tell me to the grave. He was the one given an option and he said yes."

"That is not helping, you are making me think that I have hope."

"You do, like any other girl. Besides you're pretty. Once someone gets to truly know you they know that one you are grounded. You never let your head reach the clouds. Two, you are kind hearted. I know why you like Min Ho. I told you once before that he is caring and that's when you completely fell under his spell. You know that you always go around unfairly treated, and feel like no one cares for you. Yet with Min Ho you think that he could be your pillar. Maybe you really don't like him at all. Maybe you think of him as your brother, since he doesn't live with your family anymore you have no one to protect you. You think Min Ho is the one who could protect you."

"I really like him. Its not because of support but he is hard working and he fights for his hardest. The way his eyes emote his feelings. It makes me feel it, feel a strong pull towards him. I used to be the girl who wanted friends, who didn't want to feel like an outsider. In order to make friends I did requests and did their homework." Her voice started breaking. "Soon they started to walk all over me."

He squeezed her hand again. "Don't talk about it, its going to make you feel worse. Anyways if you need help with your father tell me."

She chuckled sadly. "What can you do? Unless you are the biggest person in this whole wide world he is not going to listen. I have no family. I wish I didn't choose to become a doctor."

"You didn't choose that career path, you were forced. You were forced because at that time of your life when you needed the most support you were manipulated. Tricked into believing that it was the best thing for you."

"Even so, I can't escape my family. I feel like during the day I am free. But during the night I am locked away and held in cages. Do you now what my biggest fear is? It is..."

She was cut off by Woo Bin's phone. He picked it up. "Talk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter