2: The Second Lead Guy

The Leaf is Loose
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

One shot 2: 

 

 

JB nervously paced back and forth.

The sands of the glorious beach has already made its way inside his sandals, yet he couldn't be bothered.

His mind is in haywire and it seemed that the word 'calm' has gone out of his vocabulary.  

I put my hand on his shoulder for reassurance... and also, for him to calm his freaking nerves. 

 

 

JB has always been my rival, my best friend, and most importantly, my brother.  

We came from different backgrounds but we met in school and we became friends.

Not everything is rainbows and sunshine for us, of course.  

We were, once upon a time, silent enemies.  

 

Since the beginning, JB and I were always matched up together. We were the same age, our heights are almost the same, our grades are both decent to good, and we are both great dancers. And modesty aside, we both have good looks... or so our moms say.  

 

However, JB would always be one step ahead of me. People favoured him more because he's in a better social class than I - a lowly country boy. But that doesn't stop us from being good friends; I accepted my role, even if I have to be in his shadow, or sometimes, a side-kick. He is a good friend, nonetheless. We would always hang out together and would share things together. As I am a country boy, he would always invite me to his house during occasions where families should be together. He would always remember me, and for that, I am truly grateful.  

 

But nothing comes without a price.  

 

For instance, I am his shadow. The second leading man, in our story of life. I am that guy who would always be with him whenever he gets into fights. He fights, I'd fight. I am that guy who would help him get out of class. I am that guy who would always be by his side as he hits on girls. And most importantly, I am that guy who would help him get the girl. I am his wingman.  

 

It's not like I wanted it to be that way. But circumstances made it that way. I could have been the leading guy and he, the second lead guy but the world doesn't seem to like the idea. And so, I ended up with the shadow role.  

 

It's not that bad, if you think of it.  

I get free rides in his car, get free food, get free clothes, and get free stuff.  

But in terms of rivalry and matters of the heart, things just couldn't be that easy and free.

 

The saddest part of all of this is, I would always be that guy who would let go and set things free for the main guy.  

 

Like this instance with the love of my life.  

To be very honest, I have always been in love with her.  

I have known her and have been her friend the longest.  

In fact, I was the one who introduced them to each other.  

There I go, being the wingman of my main guy.  

It's probably why I could never tell her my feelings. It was not an easy thing for me to do.  

Not when my best friend-slash-brother-from-another-mother is also in love with her.  

 

Before I introduced them to each other, she and I were inseparable.  

My friends would always tease us, saying that we look good together and we should just marry.  

I would, if I could.  

Heaven knows how many letters I have written, how many gifts I have bought for her,

And how many speeches of dying love I have prepared for her to listen to.  

But I am a chicken. I cannot tell her as I'm afraid that I'd lose her.  

I am afraid of losing two of my most treasured friends - her and JB.

So, all I can do is be with her the way I have always been with her -  a close friend.  

A friend who is flip flopping on that

Please log in to read the full chapter