Rush

Carousel: Part 2 (ON HOLD)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: I won't torture you much longer...

That night, Gary didn’t sleep. He went outside, sat on their living room and just wrote lyrics. Tons of things swirled in his mind. Not long after the sun rises, Jihyo was up, getting ready to go. He knew she felt something was wrong that he wasn’t in their room. Jihyo went out when she was ready to go, finding him in the living room with a bundle of papers.

“You didn’t sleep?” She asked him, worried. He shook his head, motioning the stack of papers. “Don’t tire yourself, oppa. Get some sleep soon.” She said, kissing him before she left. “I’ll be back tonight.” She said, leaving right away. The way this all seemed like a normal thing for her killed him inside. He felt like he was the one she was helping. She spends her entire day caring for another man and his child, while leaving him behind. She came back home just to sleep. Did she even still consider the place home? What he didn’t know is that she knew how he felt. Her legs felt heavy as she had to leave their house every morning. The best part of her day was being able to go back a place she called home, to see his face. Every single day, she wished that she could stop going to someone else’s apartment. She wished that she wouldn’t have to put someone else’s family over hers.

Throughout the day, her mind was clouded with worry and fear. Even when she was helping out with the baby, she was worried about Gary.

“Thank you for coming today. I don’t know what I would do without you.” Jaehwa told her, being comfortable enough with her that he side-hugged her. Jihyo wondered if she was being too kind. “Oh, Sungim… I have something to tell you.” He said, stopping in his steps. Jihyo’s steps came to a stop too. Her heart beat faster, nervous, not knowing what he was going to say. She hoped for everyone’s sake that it was good news.

“Ne oppa?” She said, looking at him with a serious look on her face.

“Is Gary going to be home tomorrow?” He asked. She was surprised that he asked about Gary. Why was he asking about Gary? Moreover about Gary being home. She looked at him confused. “The baby’s mom wants to meet me tomorrow. Without the baby.” He explained. Jihyo still didn’t understand why it was all connected to Gary. “I was wondering if I can drop the baby at your house, and I’ll just meet her around there.” He said, finally clearing up what Gary had to do with his question. She didn’t know what to say.

“He has a schedule tomorrow…” Jihyo said, not knowing if it was an answer he wanted or not. She finally allowed him to do so. She thought by doing so, Jaehwa could talk in private with his lover and they could come up with a solution. She really hoped that this would be the end of her having to drive all the way to his apartment, helping another man with his family.

“Perfect. Then I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said. Jihyo nodded with energy drained out of her. She was hesitant to give him her address, but what was she to do in times like this? She drove back home with intense fear, she didn’t like hiding things from Gary, but would telling him make it better?

She couldn’t sleep that night. She watched Gary as he slept peacefully. She smiled at the man she was lucky to be able to call her husband. Looking at him, she knew she wouldn’t want any other man. She knew he would always be the one. She snuggled closer to him, letting her tears drop on his shirt silently. Her warmth woke him up, but he stayed still. He felt the dampness of her tears and felt sorry that he couldn’t do anything for her. He didn’t know what to do. Would it be right for him to interfere? Instead, he felt his sight beginning to blur, tears forming in his eyes as well. Was this the start of a fight? He was afraid to answer the question. Weren’t they supposed to comfort each other? But why were they crying on their own? Why were they keeping things to themselves?

When morning came, Gary woke up first. He was surprised to see Jihyo still in her side of the bed. He got ready without waking her up, made her a glass of strawberry smoothie, and left it by her bedside table. Without waking her up, he kissed her temple and left. Jihyo got up soon after, getting herself ready for the day. Jaehwa arrived at her house a little after she finished getting ready.

“Thank you for helping out today, Sungim.” He said, leaving the baby with her.

“That’s fine, oppa. I just hope everything works out.” Jihyo said, hoping for everyone’s sake that it would really work out between him and the mother of the baby. She closed the door behind her after they said their goodbyes. “Now what should we do, Wonwoo-ya?” She asked the baby flashing him a smile he returned.

The meeting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter