LU HAN

One Summer Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LU HAN

 

It has been four days since the whole detention thing and what happened after it. That next day, I met them by the hallway and I contemplate if I should call out for them or I’ll wait for them to call out for me. But I wish Jieun would call out for me so that everyone at the hall could hear it but they were too busy on to one of their intense debate again and they didn’t  see me passed by. I was invisible to everyone after all. But the other day they saw me sitting on our usual table and Baekhyun acknowledge me but Jieun gave me a quick nod and looked away. My chest suddenly felt heavy as I turned back to Xiumin but his voice muted down as I was distracted by the way she reacted. It’s like she was avoiding me.

I slam my locker shut as I could feel the cold metal against my palm. Her hands were cold. It was already nearing to summer but her hands felt cold. I remember the time when I held her hand; it was more accidental than on purpose because she was slouching so I never get the chance to calculate the probability that I could find my hand on hers. I think she doesn’t really mind about it because she never pulled away or shown any discomfort, she just lets me hold her and I held her like a fragile vintage teacup.

During our practice, I saw her sitting on one of the steps by the entrance at the field. She was wearing one of her chunky black glasses, that she made it look perfect on her and a laptop props on her lap. I wanted to call her out but I know that it would be weird for the both of us. Then I saw Baekhyun came to her as he peeks through her laptop and he sat one step below her.

“Okay! 15 minutes break!” Coach exclaims as we all head to the bleachers to rehydrate ourselves. “Coach has been pretty harsh on us this week. I can’t believe his making us practice 3 hours a day.” Xiumin groans as I chuckle, “Well, our tournament game is approaching and he really wants us to give it our all.” I say, trying to lift his spirit up. Xiumin and I had known each since freshman year and we try out for the team at the same time. We both help each other to improve our skills and I’m glad that he was the first friend I ever had when I entered high school. He was actually the first one who approached me when he saw me eating alone outside the cafeteria. He told me that he likes soccer, something we had in common, and we promised each other that we’ll try out for the team. So every morning and after school, we go out and practice on the field near the river. It took us a lot of practice but we got in for the first and second try out. I guess Xiumin is kind of a brother that I never had.

“Yea, but he’s pushing us too much,” He say and wash his self with some water from his bottle. The tournament cup will be on the last day of school and Coach has been making us double our effort during practice and we’ve been practicing day and night. Heck, I can’t even take a proper shower without me sleeping underneath it. I turn my attention back on Jieun as she engages another heated argument with Baekhyun, I unknowingly smile to the sight of them. “What are you smiling about?” Oh . Xiumin caught me smiling to by myself, I can’t think of an excuse immediately.  “Ahm, there’s a squirrel trying to climb that tree over there!” I point to a random tree as he looks at the direction to where I was pointing at.

 “There’s no squirrel there. Maybe it was a raccoon.” He says as he turns back into rummaging inside his bag. I mentally sigh in relief. That was very, very close. Xiumin is a keen observer. He know something is up based on your facial expression or just slight reaction and I’m trying to cautious as I could without him knowing my little interest at Jieun because once he found out about it, the questions won’t stop until he’s satisfied with what he knows and I’m not ready to answer those since I can’t seem to have one.

At lunch, Jieun and Baekhyun were already sitting on their usual table. They were busy talking about some TV show last night and she was laughing. I wanted to call for their attention but I didn’t want to ruin their mood. I place my tray on our table as Xiumin and I sit. “Finally, I’m starving,” Xiumin exclaim as he devour his food like he haven’t eaten for a year. “Be careful. You might choke on your food,” As if right on cue, he choke on his rice as he started coughing. My eyes widen as I quickly gave him his water. He takes it and drinks it in one gulp. “That was close,” He says as he wipes his lips. I notice someone’s gaze as I see her looking at me. I held her gaze not too long, but this time she didn’t avoid me instead she smiles at me. I instantly melted as I try to take a hold of myself from doing anything that could humiliate me. I smile back and our little exchange stops.

My smile was practically plastered on my face as I continue eating. “What are you smiling at again?” Xiumin asks, annoyed. Probably because my smile is creeping the hell out of him. I just wish she didn’t hear that just now. I try to lessen my smile but it keeps coming back. I try to act cool and start a little investigation, “Hey, you mentioned to me before that you went to the same

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter