"The Last Spring"

Amethyst's One-Shot Collection for YUNJAE

"THE LAST SPRING"

 

There was a nice hill located not far from our school. It’s a bit remote and not so many people knew or realized about its existence. It’s not that big but it’s a nice place for anyone to enjoy their free time having picnic up there.  

 

We discovered that place at the end of winter a year ago and it’s became our special place ever since. We normally did nothing except just lying there on the green fresh grass while being surrounded by thousands of blooming colorful flowers.

 

*****

“YUNHO-AH!!!!!” Jaejoong screamed for one name as soon as he land his feet up on the hill.

 

He took a brief break just to catch up his breath.

 

“YUNHO-AH!!! ARE YOU HERE…??! ANSWER ME, PLEASE!!!!!” Jaejoong’s voice echoed throughout the place.

 

Jaejoong looked around; hoping to see the one he desperately wanted to meet. But all he could see is the beautiful calming scenery along with the sound of breezy winds.

 

“Jaejoong???”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes shifted to another direction and his face beamed in happiness upon seeing a familiar face.

 

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere…”

 

Yunho replied with a sweet smile that softened Jaejoong’s throbbed heart.

 

Jaejoong walked slowly while counting onto his steps; approaching Yunho. He only stopped when he stood exactly right before Yunho with only a step that separated them. As their eyes met; Jaejoong brought his right hand to touch Yunho’s face.

 

Jaejoong breathed out in relief.

 

“I thought you’ve left me…”    

 

“How can I…?” Yunho smiled again; showing his perfectly aligned teeth.

 

*****

Jaejoong shoved his handmade kimbap into his mouth and munched onto it sloppily. A light chuckle escaped from the tip of Yunho’s lips; seeing Jaejoong. While shaking his head; Yunho used a napkin to clean up Jaejoong’s mouth.

 

Jaejoong grinned idiotically.

 

“I got another love letter today…and another confession…” Jaejoong began.

 

“Really…? But it’s not that weird…you’re a hot stuff…” Yunho laid down his back on the grass. He watched as the clouds moves.

 

Jaejoong leered with a corner of his eyes.

 

“What’s so different about me than you…you’re a hot stuff too…” Jaejoong retorted. He earned another chuckle from Yunho.

 

“Not anymore…” Yunho said and pretended to cry. Jaejoong pouted at the side.  

 

“So…who was it…?” Yunho asked; interested to know.

 

“Your neighbor…Siwon...”

 

Yunho’s lips immediately formed an ‘o’ when that name is mentioned.

 

“He’s the best candidate so far…but I’ve rejected him though…”

 

Yunho nodded. Jaejoong joined Yunho by lying next to him. Jaejoong placed his hand on his left chest. He then closed his eyes as he feels his heart’s palpitating. His heart never got a proper rest ever since he arrived on that hill.

 

“No one knows what’s inside my heart…they can talk whatever they wanted…no one understands how does it feels to wake up the next morning with an endless regret…”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes lids were lifted upon a sudden touch. Yunho was staring at him while caressing his cheek fondly.

 

“I know exactly how it feels…”

 

“Yunho-ah…I…” Jaejoong words were cut off when Yunho suddenly rose up to a standing position. He arched his back and stretched a little bit.

 

“It’s getting late, Joongie-ah…you should go home…”

 

Jaejoong looked down to his wrist watch and sprung up immediately right after that.

 

“Oh damn…I’m late…”

 

Jaejoong began gathering all his belongings clumsily; yet in fast speed.

 

“Yunho-ah…we’ll meet again here tomorrow, okay…” Jaejoong stuffed everything on the bag and flung it on his shoulder.

 

“W-wait…Jaejoong-ah…aren’t you bored…? We’ve been meeting here every single day; 6 days continuously…you wanna meet me again…? Tomorrow…???” Yunho looked at him in amazement.

 

“No excuse!!! Tomorrow, here! Remember!” Jaejoong said in a demanding tone.

 

Yunho watched Jaejoong as he’s scampering away in disbelieved. Yunho let out a big sigh. He jammed both of his hands into his pocket and looked up to the sky; secretly smiling.

 

“Very persuasive person; isn’t he…?”

 

Yunho looked back and saw a young man a bit older than him by two years made his way leisurely towards him.

 

“Hyung…” Yunho greeted his hyung; Jung Junho as their eyes met.   

 

“When are you going to tell him…?”

 

Yunho had a thinking face on and it took a while for him to answer.

 

“You heard him earlier, hyung…he’s very persuasive but cute in his own way…I can’t even say no to him…and how can I even break his heart…?” Yunho explained seriously.

 

“You have to, sooner or later…in this case…don’t you think sooner is the better…?” Junho gave him some advice. Yunho heard him with no expression plastered on. He kicked the ground with his feet lightly.

 

“We’ll meet again tomorrow…I’ll tell him then…” The frustration evidenced in his voice. Junho patted Yunho’s shoulder, pitied his dongsaeng.

 

“Did you tell your girlfriend about this…? How…I mean…how she responded to it…?”

 

“She cried…badly…” Junho’s answer was so simple but it conveyed everything. The brokenhearted feeling; the unbearable sadness as well as the pains.

 

“That’s what I’m dying to avoid…that’s not the way I want to remember him…” Yunho said depressingly.

 

*****

Jaejoong couldn’t close his eyes to sleep. He held a piece of letter in beige color close to his chest while staring up at the ceiling.

 

“Jaejoong-ah…”

 

“Hmmm…?”

 

“I hate you…”

 

“Don’t worry, because I hate you even more…”

 

“Really…? But I love you too…”

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV

 

I always thought that it was just some kind of a prank you’re pulling on. Those words could never breach through the shield I build to protect my heart. And that subtle confession you’re sending me with your eyes; it never reached to my heart.

 

Now I know I’m the foolish one. I never realized what you meant.

 

*****

Jaejoong hid his bicycle in the bushes at the usual place. He adjusted the bag on his shoulder before he started climbing up. He began with a small steps and it gradually changed to the long strides. The closer he was to top; the more his heart pounds abnormally.

 

Jaejoong quickened his steps even more when the smell of flowers sneaked into his nostril. He knew that he’s getting closer to the top.

 

Jaejoong reached the top with a bright smile spread across his face. He took the strides along the man-made path where he sees nothing but the green grass decorated with different kind of flowers.

 

Yunho was nowhere to be seen.

 

Jaejoong spun around 360 degrees to spot Yunho’s whereabouts but Yunho wasn’t there. His facial expression slowly changed into a dark pale one.

 

“Yunho?” He called with a low tone.

 

“Yunho?!” Jaejoong made another spinning before he marched towards their favorite spot.

 

Still; Yunho was nowhere to be found.

 

His heart rate’s increasing and his hands were trembling subconsciously out of fear. Jaejoong swallowed hard.

 

“Yunho!!!”

 

“YUNHO!!!!!!”

 

“YUNHO!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Jaejoong screamed out of his lung; wholeheartedly. He ran with indefinite direction, only hoping that Yunho would emerge from somewhere surprising him, telling him that it was just a joke.

 

The evening breeze blew wisps of hair on Jaejoong’s face; tickling his cheek but he couldn’t care less. The tears were forming at the corner of his eyes; waiting for the right moment to fall.

 

Jaejoong’s legs weakened; went against his wish. He flopped down on his knees but what he feels at that time like he’s falling hard on the concrete. He felt the burning sting on his knees…

 

No…it’s not on his knees…but on his heart…

 

Yes…Jaejoong was so happy for the past 6 days. He was so happy just to be next to Yunho that it felt like he’s just dreaming. But the reality finally hit him. How can he forget it…?

 

 

*FLASHBACK

 

It’s the day when the winter bid them goodbye and the spring came. They made a promise to meet at their special place on the 3rd day of the Spring; to celebrate the day they found the place a year ago.

 

But on the first day of the spring; he received a shocking news from Yunho’s parents. Yunho was involved in a tragic accident on his way back home.

 

“I’ve lost two of my sons…first I lost his brother and now him???! How can I live when they have gone before me…? I’m left with nothing now...nothing...”

 

Jaejoong felt like his life was falling apart. He couldn’t breathe. He used the last strength that left to catch Mrs. Jung from faint. He used the last words when he’s still sane to coax Yunho’s parents.

 

On the day of the funeral, Jaejoong was trying hard to hold up. Like a dead body; he was standing there waiting for the funeral to end-barely.

 

Mr & Mrs. Jung made their approach to him right after the funeral finished.

 

“I found this on his desk. It was addressed to you…”  Mrs. Jung handed a letter to Jaejoong. Like what she said; his name was written on the front of the envelope.

 

Jaejoong left the funeral before anyone else. He searched for a place to sit privately. With mixed feelings, carefully Jaejoong unfolded the letter.

 

------

Jaejoongie…

 

I know this won’t be the first love letter you received, but it’s the first love letter I’ve ever written. I bet 99% that this would end up on my drawer instead being sent to you, but still…

 

In case I still didn’t find the courage to confess it straightly to you; I was hoping that this letter would do me good…

 

I love you…

 

I’ve been carrying these three meaningful words from the very first time I laid my eyes on you…so I’ve said it now…

 

I love you…

 

P/S : I’m not good with arranging words…

------

 

The tears rolled down and fell on top of the letter, stained it. Jaejoong wiped it off with the back of his hand but he couldn’t stop the falling tears.

 

“It’s dated two years ago…” Jaejoong mumbled.

 

“It’s dated two DAMN years ago…”

 

He felt like his heart was poked with needles; thousand of them. Even crying couldn’t ease the pain.

 

That’s when Jaejoong decided to search for Yunho in every place possible. He knew he must be insane or perhaps it was built on his desire to run away from the truth, he went to every place looking for Yunho like an idiot. He was hoping to meet Yunho. He was dying to meet Yunho. Even if it’s against the world nature; Jaejoong’s more than willing to beg to be given a chance to meet Yunho for the last time.

 

“YUNHO-AH!!!!!” Jaejoong screamed for one name as soon as he land his feet up on the hill.

 

He took a brief break just to catch up his breath.

 

“YUNHO-AH!!! ARE YOU HERE…??! ANSWER ME, PLEASE!!!!!” Jaejoong’s voice echoed throughout the place.

 

Jaejoong looked around; hoping to see the one he desperately wanted to meet. But all he could see is the beautiful calming scenery along with the sound of breezy winds.

 

“Jaejoong???”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes shifted to another direction and his face beamed in happiness upon seeing a familiar face.

 

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere…”

 

Yunho replied with a sweet smile that softened Jaejoong’s throbbed heart.

 

Jaejoong walked slowly while counting onto his steps; approaching Yunho. He only stopped when he stood exactly right before Yunho with only a step that separated them. As their eyes met; Jaejoong brought his right hand to touch Yunho’s face.

 

Jaejoong breathed out in relief.

 

“I thought you’ve left me…”    

 

“How can I…?” Yunho smiled again; showing his perfectly aligned teeth.

 

He met Yunho at the place as they promised. The way Yunho’s smiling at him at that time; it makes Jaejoong feels like he was walking on the tiny bridge of his dream called hope. He was so happy but at the same time he was so scared that Yunho might disappeared the next morning.

 

But Yunho was there the next morning; waiting for him and Jaejoong couldn’t be more happy than that.

 

*FLASHBACK END

 

 

The tears were streaming down without an end. It seems like he’s falling hard from the cloud nine; crushed. He doesn’t want to think that the happiness he shared with Yunho for the past 6 days was just from the figment of his imagination.

 

It can’t be…

 

Not far from where Jaejoong’s kneeling; two pairs of eyes were watching over Jaejoong’s every movements.  

 

“What are you doing…? Don’t you wanna go to him…?” Junho questioned Yunho’s action.

 

“On second thought; I think it’s better if I don’t see him. It’s wrong to give him hopes…and besides…I don’t think I can leave him with him crying like that…”

 

Yunho took a deep breath and turned around.

 

“JUNG YUNHO YOU STUPID!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU TREAT ME LIKE THIS!!!! COME OUT HERE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I KNOW YOU’RE HERE SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!”

 

They were surprised with a loud scream came from Jaejoong. The solemn demanding words that Jaejoong spurt halted their steps.

 

“You were gone before you find out about my love…and what should I do now?!!!!!”

 

Yunho widened his eyes at the sudden confession from Jaejoong. He turned around slowly.

 

“Go…this is not the way he wants to remember you with either…hyung will come later to pick you up…” Junho patted on Yunho’s shoulder encouragingly.

 

With a smiling face; Junho disappeared with the wind the next second.

 

“You walked arrogantly into my life…you left me with so many memories of you and now you just wanna walk away just like that???!!!” Jaejoong swallowed the lump down his throat.

 

“Come and tell me…how can I convey my real feeling to you…? My heart that really love you…when I thought that I finally found the one that I wanna spend my whole life with; you’re already gone before it can even be spoken…” Jaejoong’s lips quivered with every sweet memory he’s reminiscing.

 

“If only…” The tears rolled down again.

 

“If only I knew about your feeling-that you really love me…then I…” Jaejoong made an attempt to stand up but he failed miserably as he’s back down on his knees.

 

“…then I would make you the happiest person in this world, even if it’s just a temporary…” Jaejoong looked down to his laps.

 

The flower petals just then have been washed away by the strong breeze and they flew away; brushing Jaejoong along the way. Jaejoong looked up to witness the beautiful scene and right at moment he felt a strong firm two arms wrapped him into an embrace from the back.

 

“Y-Yunho…?”

 

“Don’t look back…” Yunho restrained Jaejoong’s movement by tightened the hug but not to the extent suffocating the latter.

 

“How can I leave with a calm heart after seeing you like this…?” Yunho whispered.

 

“Then don’t…” Jaejoong desperately urged.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry, Jaejoong-ah…”

 

Yunho was about to release him out of the embrace but Jaejoong held him in time; disallowed him from escape.

 

“Then promise me…when I call you, when I need you…you must come back to me…”

 

“Jaejoong-ah…” Yunho wanted to argue about something but he was hushed by Jaejoong.

 

“You HAVE to…when I call you, when I need you…You MUST come back to me…as the wind and hug me like the way you’re hugging me right now…or even as the rain…whisper to me that you love me like you’re whispering to me in your own voice right now…” Jaejoong closed his eyes deeply and turned his body around. His face that was stained by the tears, it finally visible to Yunho’s eyes.

 

“…come and hurt me more, Yunho-ah…so that I’ll remember the love I have for you…so that even if the spring come again a year after a year, this feeling won’t change…so that there’s no other place in my heart for someone else…”

 

Jaejoong opened up his eyes slowly and their eyes met.

 

“I love you…”

 

Both of them mouthed the same thing on the last spring they shared together.

 

[End]

 

*****

A/N : A short fic for everyone. Comments are most welcomed...ur comments gave me strenght ^^

 

Sarah_OT5 > I finished the last fic; "Fireworks" and nope, Jae wasn't angry about the scandal thing...hope to see you more after this...thanks for reading!

soyoung > you're right...and Yunho did annouced about their relationship to the public eventhough he didn't mention Jaejoong's name. thanks for reading!

SummerSky > oh thanks...i'm touched...thanks for ur support and please continue to support me, my lovely reader...thanks for reading ^^

KimJi-Yeon > oh thanks...hope u will like it...thanks for reading!

iownachibi > haha thanks...i'm glad that you liked it...thanks for reading!

grutugomuk > ah yeah...now i'm embarassed...but i'm glad that you liked it...thanks for reading!

melfics > the "fireworks" finally ends...hope you like it...thanks for reading^^

byul_mi > it's the new story but it's a short one...it doesn't have a happy ending but still i hope it doesn't dissapoint you...thanks for reading!

a_die_me > waah! thank you! thank you!! thank you!!! thank u for reading ^^

chu_david > yes...it's finished...and here a new story...hope it doesn't dissapoint you...i'm sorry if it did...T_T...thanks for reading ^^

ElfCassieYenJi > he does, doesn't he...he just doesn't want to lose jaejoong...so i think, it worth a try, right...? hehehe...thanks for reading my dear ^^