CHAPTER 23

What Happened Between Us?

26 JUNE 2008

About 11 p.m

Sohee lying in her bed. Sunmi is already asleep. The other members in their own room probably asleep too. She keeps looking at her cellphone and Sunmi who already in her dreamland.

Sohee: Did all of them forget my birthday? Usually at this time we’re getting ready to have a small party to celebrate my birthday. But tonight, they all already sleep. If they really tired, they can just wish me. But, they just head to their room. They really forget my birthday. And, Jiyong oppa too. Does he not know his girlfriend birthday? How sad.

Sohee keeps tossing her body left and right. She can’t seem to fall asleep. Thinking about her members and her boyfriend.

27 JUNE 2008. 12.01 a.m.

Sohee: Happy birthday Ahn Sohee. You know officially 17 years old. Time sure flies fast. (She looks outside her window. Gazing at the night sky fills with stars. Suddenly her phone beeps an incoming message.)

She takes a look at her phone and there are about 6 messages already in. She smile and thinking that one of the messages maybe came from Jiyong.

From: Appa.

Happy birthday my baby. Appa really sorry I can’t celebrate it with you. Stay healthy and grow beautifully my lovely daughter. I love you so much. Appa will send your gifts later okay.

She tears up reading her father messages. Her father never forgets her birthday. Even though he always busy with working, but, he never forget to wish her happy birthday every year. She put her phone to her chest and hugs it. She misses her father so much. After calms herself from the sadness, she open the 2nd text.

From: My Oldest unnie.

My lovely sister, Happy birthday! I miss you so much Sohee-ah. I’ll back to Korea next month. Hope can see you. I’ll give you my present when we meet okay. Grow up beautifully like me okay. I love you my only little sister. chu~

She smile and tears up again. So, next month, unnie will be back, I haven’t seen her in such a long time. She always busy at Japan. I’ll get to see her next month. I miss you too unnie. She opens her next text.

From: Hyunah.

Hey mandoo. Happy birthday. Sorry I can’t celebrate it with you this year. But, you know I love you right. Stay beautiful Sohee-ah. Be happy and take care of your health okay. I miss you mandoo. Have fun celebrate it with the members.

She smiles again. They don’t remember my birthday this year hyunah-ah. I’m celebrating it alone. I wish you’re here with me. Next messages.

From: Khunnie oppa

Hello my dear. Happy birthday. You’re 17th already. Can’t believe it. It’s just like yesterday, you’re the little girls who always asking me to buy you ice-cream. Now, you’ve grown up so much to be such a beautiful young lady. Be healthy and happy my lovely sister. Oppa love you okay.

Nichkhun oppa is like a big brother to her. She loves him, of course as a brother. From the first day she met him, he has always taken care of her. Like his own little sisters. He is like the real brother for her which she never has. She’s very thankful having him to take care of her. She continues to reads the next messages.

From: Seulong oppa.

Happy birthday Sohee-ah. Be healthy and always be happy. Stop growing up beautifully because people can’t take their eyes from you. kekeke. Kidding. Grow up beautifully and stay lovely okay. I’ll make sure to give you present once I debut. Promise.

Even Seulong oppa remember my birthday. How on earth that Kwon Jiyong, her very own boyfriend can’t remember her very special day. She gets a little bit disappointed when looking at the last messages is not from Jiyong either. My first time having a boyfriend and he can’t even remember my birthday. How sad. She reads the last messages.

From: Chaerin unnie.

Hello mandoo. Happy birthday. Did you miss me? I miss you a lot. I just got my phone back a week ago. Sorry for only contacting you now. But, grow up beautifully okay. Unnie loves you Sohee-ah.

After spending about 30 minute’s texting with her birthday wishes sender, she decide to go to sleep and forgets about the sad night.

11 a.m.

She woke up a little bit late since Wonder Girls is free for the whole days. She take a look at Sunmi bed and gets up when found out that Sunmi is not there. She goes outside her rooms and a bit shocked when all the members is already gone.

Sohee: where did they all go leaving me alone in the dorm on my birthday? Why they didn’t wake me up.

Feeling lost, she starts called her members, but none of them answer their phone. What is this sad feeling on my birthday? Being alone and left out. Am I nobody to them? She sits on the living room floors. Spaced out and thinking.

After spacing out about 15 minutes, she gets up.

Sohee: I can’t be like this. So what if they don’t remember, it’s just a birthday. I won’t feel sad. I won’t feel disappointed. I’m a grown up adults. I’m not a little girl anymore. I can’t be like this.

She heads to her bedroom and decide to take a shower. After taking a long shower, she heads to the kitchen and searching for a food. She brings the food and sit in front of the TV. She going to spend her birthday alone and as long as her family remember her birthday, she’s happy about it. After 2 hours straight watching TV, she gets bored and decide to take a walk at the park. After getting ready, she heads to the park near Han River and spend her time there.

Nabi Café. 3 p.m.

Sunmi: unnie, Sohee is not answering her phone. Did she upset that we left her alone this morning?

Sunye: it’s okay Sunmi, I’ll try calling her using my phone. She never ignored my phone calls no matter how mad or upset she is before. (About 5 minutes later.) You guys, Sohee didn’t pick up my calls. I try calling her so many times. But there’s no answer. She never did this.

YB: are you sure she is at home?

Yubin: we don’t have any schedule today, and the last time we all see her, she’s sleeping in her bed. She should be at dorm. There’s no way she would go anywhere alone.

Yeeun: if Sohee is at dorm, why she’s not picking up Sunye phone calls?

TOP: maybe you should go to the dorm and check on her.

Sunye: I’ll go. You guys wait here.

GD: I’ll tag along.

Sunye: But…

GD: she is my girlfriend. I don’t want anything happen to her. I’ll follow you.

Both of the leader rush to the WG dorms. As soon as they arrive at the dorm, Sunye knock on the doors. But there’s no answer. She opens the door and goes inside with GD. They searched for Sohee inside the house, but she was nowhere to be found. Sunye expression getting darker when she found Sohee handphone on her rooms. Jiyong started getting a bit panicked.

Sunye: where did she go? I’m worried. What should we do oppa?

GD: let’s try looking for her around this area. Maybe she just closes by.

Sunye: but, Sohee never go anywhere alone. (Sunye start shaking and getting scared.)

GD: Sunye, calm down. Maybe she gets bored being alone here and decide to take a walk. (GD holds her shoulder.)

Sunye: I’m scared oppa. We shouldn’t plan to ignore her on her birthday. She must feel hurt and left out. What if because of us, she‘s getting into trouble? Oppa, what should we do?

GD: yah, Sunye, calm down I said. Don’t think negatively. Sohee is fine. She’s going to be fine. Let’s go look for her.

Sunye: let’s go oppa. Hurry.

They both left the dorm and start searching everywhere for Sohee. After informing the other members, WG and BB is now everywhere around the WG dorm area looking for Sohee. Yubin and Yeeun go to the JYPE checking if Sohee going there. Sunmi is with Seungri and Daesung searching around the café near the dorm. Taeyang and TOP is searching at all the park around the dorm. Sunye and Jiyong searching at the Han River Park where she always go with Sohee to calm their mind.

After strolling around the Han River for about 30 minutes, Sohee decide to take a sit at one of the bench under the bridge. She looks far to the river.

Sohee: I’m alone. On my birthday. At the river. With no family. No loves one. No friend. They’ve gone for about 4 hours. And no news at all. Why are they leaving me alone? They didn’t even call me. Sigh… I miss you appa, unnie, Hyunah, Chaerin unnie. I wish you’re here with me. Jiyong oppa, where are you? Why did you make me feels like this? Did you really not remember my birthday? 27 June is very important to me. Yet, I feel so left out and lonely. (Sohee gets up from the bench and goes to the riverbank. She squat down and plays with the water. She lost in her thought.)

Sunye and GD running everywhere at the Han River trying to look for Sohee. The worried look is visible in their faces.

Sunye: oppa, I can’t see her anywhere. Where did she go? She never did this.

GD: don’t give up. Let’s look for a few rounds more. If we didn’t find her here, maybe the other members will find her somewhere else. For now, let’s go look at there.

Sunye and GD heading to the bridge. They look everywhere for Sohee, but, since they are idol and still in disguise, they can’t call Sohee name. They can only use their eyes to look for Sohee. Getting a bit tired, Sunye takes a sit at the bench. GD still looking around. Suddenly she hear a sound of someone talking not far from where she taking a break. Sunye motion to GD to follow her in silent. They go closer to the voice. As the reach near the riverbank, they saw a familiar figure is squatting down and playing with the water using her hands and talking to herself. They stood still not far from her. Not saying anything, they just stand there and heard her talking alone.

Sohee: as I already a 17 years old mature young lady, I promise I’ll never cry because of a simple thing or breaks down for any negative comment towards me. I’ll be strongest girls for my family, my members, and my loves one. That’s my wish for my 17th birthday. I’ll work hard and be a successful idol in the future. Even if my members won’t love me like before, I’ll still stick to them forever. And for Jiyong oppa, my boyfriend, I’ll try to be a mature girlfriend for him and won’t be childish anymore. Until the day oppa said he doesn’t want me anymore, I’ll only look at him and loves him with all my heart. (She stands up and looks at the sky.) And, I miss you appa, unnie. I love you all. For the river, thank you for welcoming me here to celebrate my birthday with you. Thank you for being a good listener.

Sunye: (tears drops in her cheeks.) Sohee-ah…

Shocked hearing the familiar voice, she froze at her standing place and slowly, she turns her head to the voice.

Sohee: unnie? Jiyong oppa? What are you guys doing here….together? Why are you crying unnie?

Sunye runs to Sohee and hugs her tightly.

Sunye: I’m sorry my baby Sohee. Knowing your personality, I shouldn’t agree to do the act because I know you’ll hurt if being ignored. But, me being stupid still agreed to do that. I’m so sorry. I just want to make you happy, but, I ended up making you hurting more. I’m so sorry, I’m such a bad unnie to you. (Sunye cry a river while hugging Sohee. She regrets the plan on ignoring and makes Sohee feels left out. Knowing the fragile and innocent Sohee, she feels so dumb not thinking about the damage to Sohee feeling.)

Sohee: unnie, what are you talking about? Where are you going before? I waited for you about 2 hours. I get bored at the dorm and decide to come here. And oppa, how did you come here together with unnie?

GD: Sohee-ah, we are here because we are looking for you. We planned a surprise birthday party for you, that’s why the members are not at the dorm this morning, we all make a preparation for the party at Nabi café. When we try to calls you, you’re not answering the phone, so we decided to check on you at the dorm. But, you are not there. We get panicked and started searching for you all over the place.

Sohee: surprised birthday party? I thought you all don’t remember my birthday.

Sunye: my baby mandoo, we’ll never forget our precious baby girls birthday. We act like we forget only because we want to surprise you with the party. You’re our family, how can we forget it? We all love you. We’ll never forget the days you born to this world and because of that day, we’re able to be a family. (Sunye holds her shoulder and look into her eyes.)

GD: I would rather die than forgets your special day Sohee-ah. (He takes Sohee from Sunye arms and hugs her tightly.) How can you think all of us will let you celebrate this day alone? I promise you, from now on, every year at your birthday, I’ll always be with you to celebrate it together. Okay?

Sohee: oppa, unnie, I’m so sorry for thinking like that. I’m sorry for ruin the surprise birthday party and I’m sorry for causing this much trouble. But, I didn’t get any phone calls from anyone. (She starts looking for her phone in her mini bag.)

Sunye: your handphone is here Sohee-ah. You left it in the dorms. (Sunye hands over her phone and wipe away her own tears.)

Sohee: aigoo, I’m such a troubling, I’m sorry unnie, oppa. I thought I bring it with me. I’m so sorry.

GD: it’s okay, as long as you’re safe. But, next time please remember to bring your phone. It’s dangerous to walking alone without a phone. Okay?

Sohee: I got it oppa. I’m really sorry.

GD: Sunye-ah, calls the other and told them we found Sohee, told them to wait at the Nabi café.

Sunye: alright oppa. (Sunye goes a bit further from them and makes a call.)

GD: Sohee-ah, I just want you to know, I’ll always be by your side. I’ll always love you and will never left your side. You’re my everything Sohee. No matter if you’re childish or matured, I’ll always love you. Just be yourself because I love you because of yourself. No need to act matured around me. I love you just the way you are.

Sunye: I already told them. We too should get moving.