Playing Basketball & Chorong's Dad

Broken Hearted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

September 14, 2004.

Bomi POV

*BONG! BONG! BONG!*

The sound of a bouncing basketball fills the school playground. The kid in front of me is having a hard time dribbling past me with the basketball. Heheh. I LOVE doing this! I watch the ball handler like a hawk watching a field mouse. The kid looks at me for a second too long and I instinctively swipe the ball away. FAST BREAK! I speed toward the basket with the ball and jump for a lay up. *WHAM!* I get whacked from behind and land hard on the floor. OUCH. Geez. You would think kids in seventh grade would display a little bit of sportsmanship. Guess not. I slowly get up.

‘You okay, Bbom ?’ I look up and take Namjoo’s hand. She pulls me back up.

‘Hmmph… My back’s a little stiff but I’m okay.’

‘Homeroom will start soon. Let’s head inside. I’ll grab your bag.’

‘Thanks. It’s getting a little chilly now, isn’t it ?’ I’m starting to feel goosebumps, now that I stopped running around.

‘Yeah. It is mid-September now. You should dress warmer.’ Chorong pops right into our conversation.

‘Hey there.’ I greeted Chorong.

‘Yo that kid is such a LOSER. You stole the ball fair and square. Does he take it like a man ? NNNOOOOO. He had to foul you hard. What a creep!’

‘Huh. You were watching me play ?’

‘Hmph!’ Chorong turns her head and brushes past me. She walks ahead..

‘Bbom, Bbom, Bbom. This is why you’ll never get a girlfriend. You just don’t know how to handle chicks and Chorong is turning into one Fine chick, if you know what I mean.’

‘Get your head out of the gutter, horndog.’ Namjoo laughs and slaps me on the back.

‘Just messing with ya, Bbom. But you DO know that she’s got the hots for ya, right ?’

‘We are NOT having this conversation.’

‘Okay Bbom, we’re only in seventh grade. 3 weeks into our first term. There’s plenty of time for you and Chorong to get together. Haha!’ Namjoo winks at me and walks ahead, too.

 

*******

 

I’ve been sitting for an hour. My back is REALLY getting stiff. Oww. Owww. Owwww. *DONG!* Great! Math class is finally over. I think I’ll head to the nurse’s office and get something for my back. I grab my school bag and start walking in a different direction than the rest of the class in the hallway. Hmm… was my bag this heavy this morning ?

‘Hey Bbom! I hope you’re not cutting English.’ I turn around and see Chorong right behind me.

‘Nah. My back is locking up and I just want to see if the nurse can give me something.’ Chorong tilts her head.

‘I thought you landed a little weird this morning. Here, let me carry your bag. Your back’s killing you, right ?’ Without waiting for a reply, she manhandles me and takes the bag.

‘But you’ll be late for class!’

‘Whoopeedoo! I’ll just get a note from the nurse to excuse the lateness. You shouldn’t be carrying the bag. It could aggravate your back problem.’ I sigh and follow Chorong to the nurse’s office.

 

Nurse’s Office

“Hi Bbom. Hi Chorong.” I smile sheepishly. Only 3 weeks in school and the nurse already knows me by name.

“Hi Sooyoung! A freaking doofus whacked Bbom  hard while he was in the air for a lay up. So Bbom landed on his back awkwardly and now his back is locking up.” Nurse Sooyoung listens and a frown forms on her face.

“Okay I’ll give you an excuse note, Chorong and I’ll take good care of Bbom.” Choro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter