Troublemaker & Valentine's Day

Broken Hearted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

September 12, 2015. Evening.

Bomi POV

*GROWL*

I feel my stomach rumbling. I guess I should have dinner. I check the freezer and pull out a TV dinner. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I’m just not in the mood to make anything fancy, for one person. I punch in the timer on the microwave and wait for the meal to heat up. I turn on the TV and absentmindedly flip through the channels. Seeing that nothing catches my interest, I turn it off.

*BEEP*

I take out the warm TV dinner and start eating, slowly. The meal tastes like crap, exactly what you’d expect from a cheap TV dinner. But it’s convenient and supposedly nutritious so I don’t mind. Finishing the meal, I toss the tray into the garbage can and clean up the table.

I look at the clock, it’s 8:16 pm. I guess I should call Hayoung again and give Namjoo a call. I dial Hayoung’s home number. As expected, no one picks up. I leave a message on her machine, knowing the futility of the exercise. I don’t know if I’ll be able to reach Namjoo. She’s a probationary NYC firefighter right now. A probie stationed in Queens. I dial Namjoo’s home phone and leave a message.

“Hi Namjoo, it’s Bbom. I’m sure you have your hands full right now with the World Trade Center situation. Unfortunately, Chorong hasn’t returned and I haven’t been able to reach Hayoung. All I can do is pray for their safe return. Anyway, keep working hard, Namjoo! Make us proud!” I end the call.

I can’t imagine what Namjoo is dealing with right now as a NYC firefighter. All I can do, at this point is to cheer him on. *SIGH* I’m not in the mood to do anything right now. Might as well go to bed early. I turn off the lights and go to sleep.

 

*******

 

October 18, 2004.

*POP* I look at my feet and see the remains of a cheap, Chinese snap cracker..

“Who did that?” I look up and see Namjoo grinning.

“Watch, Joo! I’m gonna get you back!” I poke a finger in the air in her direction to emphasize my point. Namjoo responds by running away. Ugh, Namjoo is such a troublemaker! I check my watch, it’s almost 8:30 am. Gotta run now to make it to school on time!

“HOOF POOF HOOF” Man, I’m outta shape. But it’s hard to play basketball in October. Hmm… Halloween is coming up soon. Maybe I can have my revenge on Namjoo then. I can’t wait! I enter homeroom 7A and take my seat.

Man, class is so boring! First semester in seventh grade and I’m bored outta my mind already. At this rate, how will I make it to graduation? Forget that, Bbom! Let’s focus on getting Namjoo back! Concentrate Bbom, concentrate! I don’t think Halloween would work very well. She’s probably going to prepare something herself and will be extra cautions. Hmmm… what to do, what to do… Ah! Got it! And when will the school cafeteria serve hamburgers? Oh yes, on Fridays… Tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow is just perfect. After school ends, I hurry out of the building and run to the local supermarket.

I look through the seasoning section and find what I need. Woot! Heheheheh. Just you wait, Namjoo…

It’s the next day. We’re having lunch in the school cafeteria and sitting together. As usual, Namjoo is having two hamburgers. She’s a growing girl and buys 2 lunches or else she’ll go hungry. I secretly put the bottle between my legs, with the cap off. I’m just waiting for the right opportunity. Oh, oh! Right now!

“Hey Namjoo, check out that girl over there. Think she’s hot ?” Namjoo is a er for hot girls. Sure enough, she turns and looks at the girl walking slowly across the cafeteria floor. I quickly take out the bottle of Tabasco sauce. I lift up the bun and splash the meat with it. I put the bottle back in its place and act naturally. Uh oh.. Chorong is staring at me with an annoyed look on her face. Damn! She’s going to ruin everything if Namjoo notices! I quickly put my hands together, silently begging her to keep quiet. Chorong rolls her eyes and pretends to be interested in her meal.

“Yeah, she’s hot alright. But I think she’s in ninth grade. Way out of my league.” Namjoo spoke her thought.

“That’s just too bad.” I replied her and she said yeah.

I watch as Namjoo resumes eating her burger. Soon, Namjoo’s face is contorted with a surprised expression. She spits out her food and drinks milk.

“Hah hah hot! Hot!” Namjoo is panting like a dog.

I laugh at her expression and the bottle rolls onto the floor. Namjoo sees the Tabasco bottle and looks at me with annoyance.

“That’s for yesterday. Don’t mess with me.”

Namjoo shakes her head. “Dang! You’re such a mean bastard, Bbom! Snap crackers are nothing compared to Tabasco sauce! I’m outta here. Need a drink from the water fountain.”

“She didn’t her plate clean. How about that-“ I look at Hayoung and Chorong, and shrug.

 

*******

 

Namjoo did not speak to me for the next 2 weeks. Man, why is she being such a crybaby? Hayoung tried playing peacemaker with Namjoo but Namjoo wouldn’t roll with it. Did I really put that much Tabasco sauce into her burger? Chorong would occasionally flash me an ‘I told you so’ expression whenever Namjoo ignores me. Oh well. No point worrying about that wuss. Today is October 29th. Halloween is just around the corner, this upcoming Wednesday. I’m sure Namjoo’s got something planned. Well, two can play this game. Muahahahahah!

It’s two days later. To my surprise, I got to homeroom safely today. I wonder what Namjoo’s got planned for me after school today?

*DONG*

I take my seat since homeroom has started. I look at Namjoo’s seat and notice that it’s empty. Is she cutting class today? Will he ambush me after school? No worries, I’ve got something special for her. Hmmm… I feel someone’s staring at me. I look around and make eye contact with Chorong. Oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter