Empty Hearts

All is Falling Down

When Baekhyun woke up, he was feeling quite dazed; his head was pounding, he was very cold and there was a sticky substance running down from above his eyebrow. He tried to lift a hand to touch it but he noticed, with a start, that his hands were tied up; actually, his whole upper body was squeezed. He looked down to see a white straightjacket gluing his arms tightly to his torso. Then, he remembered. He remembered hearing someone trying to break into the dorms, he remembered hiding in the closet, he remembered calling Sehun in a panic, who, bless his souls, must have been terrified as well but kept his emotions in check. He also remembered looking up to see a masked face before an explosion on pain made itself be known on his temple and everything went black.

He looked around, breathing slowly, trying to maintain his composure. He didn’t know where he was; it appeared to be the basement of a house.

It was dark in there but a few lamps, hanging from the ceiling, provided him a little bit of light. He tried to look for a watch, or for anything that could lead him to some kind of time reference, but there was none. The only thing accompanying him in that moment was the sound of his own breathing and the pounding in his head.

A strong coughing fit shook him so hard that he tumbled to the ground, taking the chair with him and only then he realized that he was tied to the chair as well.

He tried to keep his eyes open but he couldn’t; he slowly slid them shut and felt himself be lost in a world of darkness.

When he reopened his eyes, someone was caressing the side of face and dabbing what he thought it might be a cut on his eyebrow. He was sitting straight again, chair lifted from its previous spot on the ground, but still in his straightjacket. He dared to look up and his breath was taken away from him, with a shaky swing of his head, he managed to shake the hands on him.

“Now Baekhyun, don’t be like that. I’m trying to clean your cut. You don’t want it to infect do you?”

“I want you to get away from me.” he rasped.

“That is not possible. After all the trouble I had to find you? That would be very unproductive.”

“Why?” asked Baekhyun, eyes tearing up. “I trusted you. You were my therapist.”

Dr. Lee smiled and patted Baekhyun on the head like a little child.

“I know. I needed you to me. Did you know I used to work with convicts in prison facilities? Once I met this man, Cho Donghoon, who was convicted for murdering nine people in a bus, in Bucheon. He told me all about it, how things were desperate at home, about him being unemployed and how he felt that killing his wife was the solution. His wife was one of the victims. There were ten people in that bus, only when survived. You should have heard him talking about this boy he saw; he told me how beautiful he was, how precious he looked, so he spared the boy. Every day, when I talked to that man, he would always tell me about that boy, about how special he was. It was all about that petite boy with porcelain doll like features. I became fascinated with that boy; who was he? Why was he so special? So, naturally, I decided to investigate. At first I only had a name, your name of course, but I had to search high and low for it, I only find it after searching in all hospitals, I was a psychiatrist so it wasn’t that hard. After I got your name came a new challenge because I couldn’t find you anywhere; you had graduated, I didn’t know what college you were trying to get in, imagine my amazement when, one day, I was watching TV and they were talking about your little band and your name came up. When I saw you for the first time, I knew it was you, the Byun Baekhyun I was looking for. Donghoon was absolutely right; there was something about you so magnificent, so perfect and so divine. So naturally, with a few calls, a few briberies, I was able to swap with the therapist that was originally assigned to you. And I got to you. I made myself approachable and charming so you could trust me, and now after three years, you are finally mine.”

“What are you going to do to me?” asked a completely terrified Baekhyun, since he was starting to realize how deranged this man in front of him truly was.

“I’m going to keep you, my little doll, of course!”

“What do you mean?”

“I am going to give you what all perfect people like you should want: immortality! I am going to keep your beauty and your perfection forever; you shall be my perfect doll. That, however, is going to take a while. I didn’t mean to take you this sooner, but that bandmate of yours, Park Chanyeol was messing up my plans, feeling your mind with stupid things, such as the little stunt of removing me as your therapist.”

“Chanyeol was right! You are a sociopath!”

The slap hit Baekhyun right on the mouth and it made him bit the inside of it

“You shouldn’t make me angry Baekhyun, because then I’ll do something like this, and it pains me and it will pain you as well.”

Dr. Lee turned away from Baekhyun and rummaged in a black brief case before pulling a little bottle with a milky liquid substance and a syringe. With capable hands he quickly filled the syringe with the liquid and turned to Baekhyun.

“What are you doing?” wheezed Baekhyun.

“Don’t be silly. It’s just penicillin. You need it since it; I don’t want your lungs infected with bacteria due to your flu. Despite what you think, it’s important to me that you remain healthy.” said the Doctor, showing Baekhyun the label of the bottle.” Now, I know that this is going to be uncomfortable for us both but I need to pull your pants a little bit, do I can inject this to your buttock. You either can comply or I’ll make you.”

Baekhyun made a face, he surely wasn’t going to comply; this man was absolutely mental. As soon as the doctor tried to touch his sweatpants, Baekhyun started to shake himself from the other’s grasp and he even tried to scream, but due to his flu, all it came out was a very high squeak. Obviously, the doctor wasn’t very happy; he pulled Baekhyun’s hair and tugged backwards and then pushed him forward making him face plant on the floor, luckily he landed on his cheek.

The doctor then pulled the chair back and pulled his sweats two inched down before injecting the penicillin with quick, efficient hands.

“See, that didn’t cost a thing, did it?”

“Go to hell!”

“I can’t sweetheart, not when I have you, my little angle, next to me.”

He picked Baekhyun up; who struggled weakly, his strength was severely cut down by his sickness, and took him to a little room in the basement. It was a little room, with a bed and a vanity. On the walls, there were several photos of male teenagers dressed up like antique dolls. To Baekhyun’s increasing horror, most of them, if not all, seemed very dead as well.

“Like it my little art on the wall? I had to practice on someone before I actually had you. Due to unfortunate circumstances, a lot of them died early on the process, but I have perfect it now.”

“What process?”

“The process of making you a living doll, of course! I have the dresses and the accessories, so that part is easy. I kind of like you hair this way, so I’ll make it prettier with some clips or a nice bow! The trickiest part is to make you immobile; as you know, dolls don’t move, so I have pondered over the years how to achieve that, but as you see, breaking things lead to bruising an swelling and I don’t want that, it defies the purpose of having a pretty doll; then I thought about some paralyzing agents, which is a good idea but is rather tricky: a big dose and you killed someone, a smaller dose won’t do a thing. So I had to experiment a bit with it and I actually developed, or I am close to developing, a paralyzing serum that when injected paralyzes only a specific part of your body. I’ve tried it on my last five dolls and it was working. But, once again, the doses are the tricky part. I have to try it on somebody before I use it one you, or else you could die and that is the last thing that I want.”

Baekhyun was absolutely terrified. This man was despicable! He was beyond crazy but one little thought made its way to his mind.

“Are you saying that you killed all of them because of me?”

“No! Of course not! I have had a fascination with dolls for a long time, ever since I started my high school times. I found them pretty. Of course my father didn’t actually liked that, he actually hated. I had many bruised at the time just to show how much he hated it but once I was eighteen and left to college I began to dedicate myself to my guilty pleasure: dolls. After a while, simple store dolls weren’t enough, so I just thought it was really good to capture the male beauty in a doll way. You are one among many, the one that I hope that survives.”

Doctor Lee dumped Baekhyun on the bed gently and swept the bangs of his forehead inspecting his cut on the eyebrow.

“Your cut looks good, it only needs a cream for scars and it will be as if never happened. Such a pretty face doesn’t deserve a scar.”

He kissed Baekhyun on the forehead before leaving briefly to bring a cloth that smelled horribly.

“Now, my lovely, I have to leave for a bit and you aren’t really tied properly so a little rest is in order.”

Baekhyun looked at the doctor, confused for a second, before the doctor pushed the cloth into his mouth and nose; that was when Baekhyun realized that it was dripping with chloroform. He held his breath but it was too late, his eyes fell shut and his head limped to the pillow resting on the bed.

“Sweet dreams, little angel.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol was livid. Beyond livid. When Tao called him, completely hysteric, talking about the phone call they had received and how they had reached the dorms and found out a wide open door and missing Baekhyun; he had gone ballistics, he had been called for an emergency photoshoot as soon as he got to the SM building, leaving the other and this had happened. He had apologized to the director of his photoshoot, explaining briefly the situation, and left as quickly as he could.

On the way home he had called Jongin who answered the phone with a shaky voice; Jongin told him that everyone was already at the dorm. They didn’t hang up the call, choosing to stay in silence until Chanyeol arrived. Only when the giant crossed the door, passing by a police officer, he went to the living room and stood on the doorway. When Jongin became aware of him he abandoned his spot by Kyungsoo and went to him giving him a hug, not caring about who saw it.

While hugging Jongin, Chanyeol inspected the living room, Policemen were talking with Junmyeon and their manager, Tao was sobbing his heart out in Yixing’s shoulder, who was comforting the younger man the best as he could, while making a real effort not the crumble as well; Kyungsoo was biting his nails, eyes red as they could be with Jongdae sitting next to him, with a somber face; Minseok was sitting on a chair, looking completely devastated; Sehun was leaning on the couch, poker face on. Chanyeol was really having a hard time to reading his maknae.

“He’s having a hard time too.” muttered Jongin in his neck “He was the one who received the phone call; Chanyeol, he dropped on his knees as soon as they cut the phone call. He’s completely gutted.”

“What did the police said?”

“There are signs of obvious breaking and they found a little blood on the floor of the closet by your room but the forensic agents said that the amount was minimal, so they are certain he was not killed but simply taken; the notes that we showed them only support that theory.”

“How could this happen? Didn’t manager hyung stayed with Baekhyun?”

“He left the dorm and this happened, whoever is behind this must have been watching.”

Chanyeol didn’t say anything else; he just held Jongin in his arms as the other started shaking again. As soon as the police talked with everyone, they asked them to pack some personal items for they were going to go to a nearby house, courtesy of SM, because the dorms were now a crime scene under investigation.

Packing was done in silent and so the ride to their provisory home. As soon as they got there, they randomly put their bags in whatever room they found and sat themselves on the living room. They all looked tired beyond belief.

“How could this happen?” asked Yixing, head resting on his hands.

“Wouldn’t we all like to know?” laughed Jongdae bitterly, his arm around Kyungsoo.

“This is all your fault.” spat Minseok pointing to Jongin, Sehun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. “You left him alone!”

“We didn’t leave him alone! We left him with our manager.” protested Kyungsoo.

“And see where that led us!”

“Minseok, calm down! You are being unfair.” chided Junmyeon.

“Unfair? I’m being unfair? My boyfriend was abducted by some lunatic and I am being unfair?”

“Yes, you are!” replied Jongdae seriously “They aren’t the one to blame, if anything it’s manager hyung’s fault for leaving him alone after they begged him not to!”

“Don’t you understand Jongdae? They still left him alone! Even when they knew what was happening! And now my boyfriend is heaven knows where.”

“We left him alone?” asked Sehun coldly, speaking for the first time in many hours “Don’t be a hypocrite, we left him alone as much as you did!”

“But I had schedules!”

“And we hadn’t? Are you saying that your schedules are more important than ours? Is that really the excuse that you are using to justify the fact that you weren’t there when he needed us? We all failed. All of us! We should have fought more to stay at home know that, not only he was sick, but also that there was some psychopath on his tail. So don’t try and push the blame onto someone else, this is our failure. Collectively! And please stop pulling that crap where you are suffering more than us because he’s your boyfriend because like it or not he is our friend as well and we care! We are just as devastated as you are; we are feeling just as down.” stated Sehun harshly while standing up to leave the room.

“You are only saying that because you are jealous that he is not your boyfriend; because you lost him with your crappy attitude!”

Sehun paused in his steps and turned to look at Minseok with pure disgust.

“Call me whatever you want but I am not the one whose top priority, when his boyfriend was taken away, is to state his claim and throw the blame around just to feel better. My top priority is getting Baekhyun back to us safe and sound and to hell with everything else, and that is the reason why I’m not prolonging this stupid argument, because it doesn’t matter, not right now.”

And with that, the maknae abandoned the room.

“Minseok, a word with you. Now!” demanded Junmyeon pulling the older male along with him rather forcefully.

Jongin, who watched the scene in silence, left the room quietly, after signaling Chanyeol and went to look after the maknae. He found him in one of the upstairs rooms, crying his heart out, clutching at a rilakkuma plushie that he was certain that belonged to Baekhyun. As bad as he was feeling, he couldn’t help to feel bad for the younger; as strong as he was trying to be, it was clear that he was just affected as everybody.

“Sehunnie…” he called gently, wrapping an arm around the other’s shoulder.

“They took him Jongin! They took him away and I couldn’t do anything! I didn’t do anything and now he’s gone. I don’t know what to do, I just want him back! I want Baekhyun back.”

Jongin felt his own eyes tear up. He didn’t have anything reassuring to say to the other and he didn’t want to lie, so he just hugged the other tightly, rocking him from side to side; comforting the other in silence. 

 

 

 

 

A/N: My God! How I struggle to post this chapter! I am really sorry for putting it up so late but I got sick and then sicker! I actually didn't have strenght to get out of bed. Thankfully, after medication start doing what it's supposed to do, I got a bit better and managed to finish writing this. Usually I am a tough cookie to crack but this time, bacteria really beat me up!
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I hope you like this! And psssht guess what! IT WAS THE DOCTOR! More will come! Stay tuned for the next chapter! Love you all and have a wonderful day! (AND STAY HEALTHY!)