Prologue

Thank You

"Welcome to WinKon Cafe, valued customer," standing in front of the door to the cafe, Jiwon greets the customer with a small smile on his face.

However, the newly arrived customer doesn't even pay him any attention, not even a glance.

Jiwon's smile falters, but he quickly puts on a smile. A forced one, of course.

But, his smile fades away yet again, when he hears from inside the cafe some squealing from girls, fangirling over Jinwoo and Hanbin. It does break his heart, but he is already used to that, so he blandly smiles again when another group of customers arrive at the cafe.

"Hey, ugly ," one of the customers says in a mocking tone, "Move. You are blocking our way."

Not losing the smile, Jiwon bows while saying sorry after moving away from them. They enter the cafe while laughing except one person. She feels bad for the poor waiter, so she walks closer to him. Not noticing the attention, Jiwon grits his teeth, trying to hold in the rage in him.

"Don't mind the guy. His mouth is just like that," Jiwon turns to the voice, a bit startled to find her presence there.

He is a bit baffled, because the girl is very gorgeous and she has a cute voice or tone when she spoke just now.

"It...it's fine," he replies awkwardly and she smiles as she opens to say something to him, but then, her friends call her, halting the short meeting between the two, "Hey, Park Chaeyoung! What are you doing there?"

"I'm coming," she responds before looking back at Jiwon and utters the words she doesn't get to say just now, "You are not ugly anyway," and she enters the cafe to go back to her friends.

Jiwon forms a soft smile, "Park Chaeyoung. What a pretty name."

Startling him from his own thought, Jiwon feels a tap from behind, "Hey, Jiwon," the said man tilts his head to see his fellow waiter behind him.

"The manager told you to come in and let me take charge here."

Jiwon heaves a relieved sigh and smiles lightly at his coworker as he mutters, "Okay, Bin. Thank you for telling me."

He walks into the cafe and prepares to work at the counter when the manager emerges out of nowhere to say things right in front of his face, "Now it's better. Look at Hanbin there attracting more customers, yet what did you even do?"

Jiwon glances at the entrance door where several girls smile at Hanbin before entering the cafe. Jiwon can clearly hear the girl fangirling, "He smiled at me!" "No, he smiled at me!" "He shook my hand! I don't think I will ever wash this hand!"

Gross. Jiwon briefly thinks to himself at the last comment.

The manager leaves after shaking his head at Jiwon. The boy bits his lower lip, feeling so downhearted. He sighs and looks up when his eyes catch the nice person from before talking with her friends cutely at their table. 

She really has such a cute way of talking.

He can't help admiring the girl and he smiles when he remembers that she freaking says he is not ugly. Though he knows that she doesn't really mean it, he knows she just wanted to be nice, but it is still nice to hear that.

 

Jiwon is a very good worker. He can do work quick and smooth. No matter what work he is assigned to, he will be able to work it out. He can be the cashier, he can be the waiter, he can be anything. That is why the manager just cannot fire him, even if most customers do not really like him.

After such a long day, Jiwon stops wiping the glass window and sighs as his back hurts. He remembers Chaeyoung and wonders if he will get to meet her again? 

Continuing to wipe again, he shakes his own head to the question. Even if they meet again, will she even remember him? Even if she does remember, what will it do? He knows he has no chance on her.

She is deadly gorgeous, much opposite to him.

He sighs again.

 

"Great job today, everyone, especially our Hanbin and Jinwoo. We managed to gain lots of customers today because of you," the manager says before everyone claps their hands.

Jiwon also claps his hands, as it is really true, Jinwoo and Hanbin are the best moneymakers in the cafe. 

After that, everyone excuses themselve to leave the work, including Jiwon and Hanbin. Though the two of them always get compared by the manager, the two are still a very close bestfriends.

Maybe, the saying that "opposites attract" is really correct.

They walk home together as they live in the same apartment building.

"Hey, Jiwon," Hanbin taps Jiwon on the shoulder, as always, "I see you having heart eyes on that golden haired girl."

Jiwon furrows his eyebrows as he looks at Hanbin, "Golden—" and he finally comprehends it.

Hanbin refers to Chaeyoung. He blushes helplessly that he is caught right away by his own bestfriend.

Hanbin grins seeing how shy Jiwon looks but he turns serious then before murmuring, "But Jiwon, I... I'm sorry to tell you, but she is not available. I mean, you see that tall guy who is always beside her, they are dating each other. Or so, from what her friend used to tell me."

Jiwon fakes a smile at his bestfriend, feeling thankful that he is being honest with him. He lets out a soft laugh, "Don't worry, dude. I'm not even serious about her. I just think she is pretty, that's all. No hard feeling."

Hanbin flashes a relieved smile to find out that Jiwon doesn't love her. "That's great then. I don't want you to get hurt later."

"Thank you for worrying, Bin, but I'm fine. I really am," he replies with a wide smile, before waving goodbye to his friend when he arrives in front of his room.

Closing the door, Jiwon walks into his own bedroom and opens the window with a light sigh. He closes his eyes to enjoy the night breeze, like what he always do every night. He opens his eyes and smiles as he whispers to himself, "God, I'm so tired."

And tears relentlessly run down his eyes.

 

A month passes by, just like that. Chaeyoung doesn't come anymore to the cafe. Jiwon is relieved, quite, as he will only be heartbroken once he sees her and her boyfriend. He also comes to know that her boyfriend is the one who called him ugly .

All the more reason for him to be relieved that they are nowhere to be seen anymore at the cafe.

That day, Jiwon is at the work like usual, working diligently though the customers pay no attention to him and only giving him cold look. 

"Two caramel machiato, on-the-go," the customer orders without looking at him.

He still smiles while working on the ordering system and informs Hanbin about the order. While waiting for Hanbin to prepare the order, he looks at the entrance door and notices a figure coming into the cafe.

This time, a pretty girl too.

She is full of smiles and beautiful. Jiwon is mesmerized again, but he immediately brushes his feeling aside as he knows better not to plant any hope.

After processing the pay for the previous customer, Jinwoo nudges on Jiwon's shoulder to say with a pretty smile, "Hey, why don't you return back to your original position as a waiter and take the order from that girl? Everyone is busy so no one is able to do that."

Jiwon diverts his attention to the girl mentioned and realizes that she is the girl before. Without thinking much, he nods to the older's request.

So he walks toward the table she is at and asks, "What would you like to order, Miss?"

She lifts up her head from her phone and smiles at Jiwon before answering, "Hm, I would like Cappucino with two servings of fried chicken."

Hearing it, he snorts to himself, look, she must be waiting for her boyfriend, which is why two servings

 

"Enjoy your meals," he bows politely at her after placing the meals on the table before his steps to the counter back are halted, when he hears two miracle words that he has never heard before spoken to him from the customers.

"Thank you, Waiter Kim Jiwon."