The [Love] Letter

The [Love] Letter

Jae-rim unlocked his door that night, dragging a couple of huge suitcases inside filled with Turkish goodies and souvenirs.  After spending about a week on honeymoon, and so near Christmas too, he was decidedly tired.

Olla and Leon pranced over to greet their master, and Jae-rim smiled happily.  How he missed his cats!  He scooped both up on each arm, giving them each a kiss on the head.  “Oh, you’re hungry, aren’t you?” he cooed, going into the backroom to get their food.  “Did my manager treat you well?”

Once his pets were pampered and fed, he washed up and changed into some comfy sweatpants and a T-shirt to get ready to sleep.  True, it was still early, not even nine in the evening.  In Turkey, it was only about two in the afternoon.  After adjusting to the 7-hour difference and then having to re-adapt to the Seoul time zone, perhaps his body was aching for a nap—one that would extend till the morning, from the feel of it.

He groaned, still feeling full, though.  He couldn’t deny that one of the best parts of their honeymoon was their eating broadcast, from that tasteless mackerel kebab, downing a huge mug of Turkish beer, ice cream like it was from Itaewon, the best kumpir, their native lamb and even tough ramen with So-eun.  So perhaps the added weight gain was worth it. 

Ever compulsive about keeping things organized, he pulled on his luggage and bags inside his bedroom so as not to trip on them should he need to exit the front door in a hurry.  He resolved to hit the gym bright and early tomorrow, after indulging in all that Turkish fare with his wife.  He was going to shoot another drama soon, where he would play a Kendo master, so getting back in shape was a firm requirement. 

He turned off the lights and lay on the bed, draping one forearm over his eyes. 

So-eun’s pretty face drifted once more into his lazy dream state.

“Don’t read it until we’re back in Korea,” she’d told him sternly after handing him the perfume she personally chose for him and placing the letter underneath during their dinner in Istanbul.

Araseo,” Jae-rim had promised, as their pinkies clasped and their ring-clad thumbs kissed.

His eyes flew open, scrambling to his feet to switch the lights back on.  He couldn't believe he had forgotten about it due to exhaustion.   He fetched his travel organizer for keeping his passport and other documents for his foreign trips.  That was where he had inserted her letter, wanting to keep it in view.

He took it out and sat on the bed, staring plaintively at the pristine white envelope she had sealed it in.  It appeared so carefully prepared, unlike the list of ten introductory questions she had written on a card for him before physically meeting.  He shook the envelope near his ear, and gauged that there couldn’t be more than a page or two inside.  He imagined her mulling over it, wanting to be succinct and yet sincere.

Despite the unbearable curiosity of the words that she had to put into writing instead of just saying to his face, he began talking himself out of reading it as he set the envelope down on the bedside table in apprehension. 

Just what exactly would he unleash if he opened it? 

More scolding for being such a mischievous husband? 

Well, he did spit on her ramen.  Maybe he did deserve it.

But then, she had written this before even flying to Turkey with him.

So what could this possibly contain?

Don’t read it, Jae-rim.

Not tonight.

Otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to sleep.

In 10 days, they would be each other’s date for the MBC Awards as they had been nominated for WGM Best Couple 2014.  In case So-eun asked him what he thought about it—or maybe she wouldn’t—he would just thank her for the letter and smile ambiguously.

Yes, that would be a smarter strategy.  

Something she wouldn’t expect from her mischievous husband. 

The push-and-pull war was still ongoing.

His eyes were fixated on the letter, though, as he involuntarily attempted to reach for it again.

He began to pace around in indecision, restraining his hands now behind his back, his sights still on the inanimate envelope that yielded more power over him this moment than he was willing to admit.

“Let’s make a bet.”  He pictured her teasing him, oozing with aegyo that he knew from the very bottom of his gut he wouldn’t be able to refuse from first meeting her.  “You’ll open this letter the moment you come home.”

“And if I don’t?” Jae-rim mocked, not realizing that he was challenging a pale, vaporous comparison of her in his mind.

“Then you’ll never find out, will you?” The imaginary So-eun, still as beautiful and disarming as ever, shrugged and then began to fade away. 

He helplessly sighed, surrendering to the impulse as his fingers reined the envelope in, quickly and stealthily before he changed his mind once again. 

From the prank of creating coupons that were supposedly for his enjoyment to conspiring with the Turkish restaurant staff to prepare a cake with sparklers on it and her singing “Congratulations on the wedding” and catching him completely off-guard, her surprises were starting to become hazardous to his health. 

Even when So-eun was not here, she was still winning. 

Not really conscious of his hands slightly trembling, the Solim ring glistened as he used his right thumb to tear off the front as deftly as he could.

His heart pounded hard and fast, wondering if the words inside would cause it to break into a million, irreparable pieces. 

But here he was, inadvertently sliding out the smooth paper she had neatly folded in half.  He could distinguish the imprint of her small, legible writing but that was all.

Okay, deep breath.

And bravely, he flipped the flap open.

 

Saranghaneun nae nampyeon, (To my loving husband)*

I am writing this after we have packed for our honeymoon in Turkey.  I admit that I am nervous because I don’t know how we’re going to interact being so far away from home.  Since we have disagreed on the smallest things such as what to pack or not, (and let’s not forget that you ridiculed me for the way I wrapped my ramen!) I don’t expect the honeymoon to be smooth sailing. 

 

He had to laugh.  He’d hugged her and apologized profusely, but So-eun still remained irked at him for some time. 

 

I do look forward on becoming closer and stronger as a couple through this.  I will have to rely on you, and you will have to do the same with me.  Remember what we said when we first saw each other exactly three months ago?

 

Jae-rim did remember, all right.  They had shaken hands, while he was quite taken at how beautiful she was, and requested of each other, “Please take care of me.”

 

Maybe I don’t express myself well when I’m around you.  Maybe I’m more courageous in the black room interviews, when being asked about my reaction in every little thing you say and do.  All of my responses are heartfelt, those that make it to the broadcast and even those that don’t.

I still do get flustered when you suddenly swoop in.  And you swoop in all the time now, which makes it easier for me to reciprocate.

So when you don’t, it confuses me.

 

Now Jae-rim was confused.  Did this mean she was giving him the green light to keep swooping in?

And he couldn’t ever remember a time when he didn’t, because he couldn’t help himself.

 

It comes more naturally for you to act on how you feel, while it takes a much longer time for me.  I hope you don’t run out of patience, nampyeon.  I do feel that I am soon catching up. 

 

Wait, back up.

He read that last line one more time—in case he misinterpreted it—as a slow, frivolous smile formed on his lips.

How soon was soon?         

Like, really soon?

Were the tiny crumbs of the Jae-rim salt he was leaving behind actually taking effect?

 

Your constant thoughtfulness has touched me deeply.  I want to say thank you, if I haven’t said it enough.  You once told me that you like it when I smile, which is why you do those things.  Now I smile, not because you have to do anything, but because you’re you.

 

His ears turned ridiculously red, and he covered the ear-to-ear grin threatening to crack his face open as if she were right in front of him.  Part of him was glad that she couldn’t see just how she affected him so. 

 

With our 100th day approaching, please wear this customised perfume (matched with mine) in good health.  May this remind you of me, when we’re not together.

Dangsin-ui ah-ne (From your wife),

So-eun 

 

He placed a soft kiss on her name, and discovered that she had left her scent—a subtle yet distinct spritz of her counterpart of the couple perfume—on the heart next to it.

And she ended the letter with:

 

P. S.  I’m glad I married you.

 

~~~The End ♥~~~

 

=======

 

*One of my favorite bits in Episode 16 was when So-eun was singing “Congratulations on the wedding” to Jae-rim and she regarded him as “To my loving husband,” which is just adorable and endearing.  ^_^ 

Keep supporting Solim couple!!!  Kamsa-hamnida!

In the mean time, please stay tuned for “Half a Year” found in:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/857799/half-a-year-kimsoeun-songjaerim-solim