Barely Breathing

Incredible Things
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I’m a genius.”  Chanyeol smiles to himself proudly in front of the flashing computer screen.  He looks at Baekhyun and wiggles his eyebrows.  “Guess what I just did.”

“..Uh.”  Baekhyun shrugs disinterestedly, his eyes still glued on the game ‘Octagon’ he’s playing on his laptop.

“I just hacked the CCTV system of the streets and dug up footage from that day when we were suddenly ambushed by those girls, found their car number AND planted a bug in the CCTV system so that if the car comes into view again we’ll be automatically informed.”  Chanyeol says.  “I should’ve thought of this sooner, though.”

“Don’t you think that they’ve anticipated this already?  They’ll obviously change their license plate and think of a new way to attack.” Baekhyun answers emotionlesly, his eyes still glued on the rolling octagon on his screen, following it like the tail of a shooting star.   “Why don’t you just track where they went?”

“Beeh-cauze, Baekhyun.”  Chanyeol rolls his eyes.  “They breached the CCTV system as well.  Somehow, after they turned the corner, none of the CCTVs in that street were functioning.  If not I obviously would’ve traced them right back to where they first came from.  I hacked the government sites and everything and tried to track down the car plate but guess what?  Nothing.  It’s not registered.  It doesn’t exist.”

“Aish.”  Baekhyun mutters, narrowly missing an obstacle.  “You know what?  Just let those es who think they look y in fishnet stockings be.  They didn’t have much of a strategy for that lame- attack anyway.  I’m guessing that they’re just some low rookie gang or something, and if they decide to show up again, we’ll kill them then.  By the way how’s the truck?” Baekhyun asks, referring to a truck that they’ve hijacked and unloaded from it tons of stolen goods- counterfeited money making plates.

“It’s in our hands now.”  Chanyeol sings, popping open a can of soda.  “But Baek.  I don’t think they’re trying to get something from us..”

“Then?”

“They’re trying to get something through us.”

“Huh?  No.  They were about to steal the money we were going to exchange for—“

“No.  Remember that girl’s face right before she died when Kai asked her who she—they—came from?”

“No.  I wasn’t really looking.”  Baekhyun answers, his fingers still expertly clicking on the arrows of his laptop.  “Why?”

“She said ‘your father’, half smiled-half smirked, and then died.” Chanyeol muses.  “Like she...”

“But Chanyeol, Kai’s father died.”  Baekhyun says, shooting Chanyeol a ‘wtf are you talking about’ look.  “Right after he killed Kai’s mother.  His own wife.  He got run over by a truck, remember?  We went to his ing funeral because The Joker made us—even though we only stayed at the back.”

“But what if...”

“Aish, shut up.  I’m playing!”  Baekhyun whines.

 

ISEUL’S POV

Everyone, PRAY FOR ME.  Just do it.  NOW!

Everybody’s gathered in a large, large circle that I didn’t know could fit in the room until 2 seconds ago when it actually did, and Jongguk’s teacher is sitting in the middle with a paper-filled basket and a tape. 

Trust me guys, I know exactly what’s going on in here.  We’re going to play that game where the music plays and we pass around the basket, and when the music stops whoever’s holding it will have to take a piece of paper from it and I don’t know, do something. 

I look at Kai who’s sitting cross-legged beside me and look away again.  I thought that he’d open up a bit after our.. you know, the talk by the sea but nope.  He’s on cyborg mode again.  So I turn to Jongguk instead and open my arms wide, as if saying ‘Come here!!’.  And so he comes and sits on my lap.  “What did you do with them a few hours ago, Jongguk?”  I ask.

“Learn stuff about the beach!  We watched a video!” he answers.  “What did you and appa do?”

“We....” I glance at Kai, who—URGH—is till staring into nothingness (the floor).  I bet he’s praying for it to just open up and swallow him alive already.  Is he really that bored?!  Why can’t he just show some goddamn enthusiasm and act like a father who actually cares for his family already?!  “We played by the sea.”

“Can we play in the sea with me tomorrow??” Jongguk asks. 

“Of course!”  I smile, ruffling his hair.  Suddenly, the teacher—Hee Sonsaengnim—taps on her mic twice to grab our attention. 

“Hello parents and kids!  We finally have the sound system and everything else sorted out already, so now we’re ready to begin!  As you might have guess already, we’re going to play Pass the Basket!  It’s really simple.  All you have to do is...”

And then she proceeds to explain the exact same thing I’ve already guessed a few minutes ago. 

“What questions are in there?” A curious father asks. 

“You’ll see when you get the basket!  You guys ready?  Oh, and 2 rules—one, you may not refuse to answer or do whatever the paper you pick tells you to.  And two, you have to PASS the basket—which means no throwing it around or keeping it in your spot.  Keep the basket moving.  Arrasso?  Questions? No?  Let’s start!!”

I hear Kai groan in annoyance beside me and I nudge him a little.  “Yah, remember the rules!  Smile!”

“At this stupid game?!” he whispers.  “I’m gonna go crazy out of boredom here!”

“Just play along Kai.”  I say, smiling cheerfully to the people around me.  The music starts and—OH!

“Neomu banjjak banjjak nuni busyeo No No No No No!!” I sing cheerfully, delighted to hear one of the first songs I knew from Girls’ Generation, Gee.  “Neomu kkamjjak kkamjjak nollan naneun Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh!”

“Holy .”  Kai swears, looking warily at me.  “You know this song too?”

“People say I’m born from a boombox.”  I shrug, grinning at him.  “I know almost every song there is!”

He shakes his head and passes over the basket that has just come from his direction to me.  I take it from him and pass it over to the mother beside me, who passes it further along. 

“AND PAUSE!” Hee Sonsaengnim yells and the music immediately comes to a stop, freezing a couple two couples away from me along with the beat.  “Pick a piece of paper.” Hee Sonsaengnim smiles encouragingly. 

“Jonghyun, you want to pick a piece of paper for mommy and daddy?” the mother smiles kindly at her son.  This Jonghyun kid (who surprisingly resembles a little dinosaur) nods and fishes out a piece paper folded several times. 

“Please read out what you got!”

“Question:  What is the thing you like and dislike the most about your family?” The husband reads, showing the paper to the teacher. 

“Aha!  So you see mothers, fathers, and children, this game isn’t just some random Pass the Basket game—it is also a way of sharing, which will hopefully help you guys to open up between yourselves and maybe even fix misunderstandings, complications and break unwanted tension.  Maybe it’ll help you guys get to know each other better as well.  Or maybe it’ll bring up fond old memories of you guys during the early days.  Point is, the ultimate goal of this activity is to just help you guys open up with each other more, and not just within your family but between other families too.  Because this way, everyone will listen and maybe even try to help each other.  So, parents.  What are your answers?”

“I’ll say what I like first.”  The mother starts.  “I like everyone in this family knows how to respect each other.  We have different interests—all three of us—but we get along well and we think of others and we always know, um, like— when to have it our way and when not to.  We just understand each other well and I’m really thankful for that.”

“And what I dislike is,” the father continues, “is how somtimes, when we have a problem, we tend to ignore each other instead of confronting each other.  And it sometimes leads to further misunderstanding.”  He snakes a hand around his wife.  “We should fix that.” He says to his wife. 

I listen intently as I hug Jongguk, who’s still sitting on my lap.  Looks like Kai and I are going to have to do a lot of lying tonight. 

“I agree.  We have the same problem here too.  I admit that I’m the one usually doing the ignoring and refusing to talk about or problems.” The lady beside me says and I nod ‘sympathetically’.  Suddenly she looks at me.  “Do you guys have that problem too?  You rarely talk.  Are you in a fight?”

I blink and look at her.  “Me?  We?” I ask, pointing at Kai.

“Yeah.”

“Uh.. no.  We’re good.”  I say quickly.  “He’s just.. tired.” I offer the lamest of the lame explanations one could give to another.

“Okay then.”

“I’m sorry yeobo!!”  Jonghyun’s mother wails.  “It’s just that I get so mad sometimes!”

“It’s okay, jagiya.  We’ll fix it.”  Her husband her hair lovingly and I hold in the urge to gag.  They’re so lovey-dovey!!  Is that how all married couples are?!! 

“Okay!  That was a very nice sharing from the two of you.  You see?  This is exactly what’s supposed to be happening in this acitivity.  Great job everyone.  Now let’s continue!! Music... start!!”  Hee Sonsaengnim presses play and this time, another song plays.

ANOTHER SONG THAT I KNOW!  WOOHOO!

“Almost paaaAAARAADISEEEE~!” I belt out, singing along with T-Max who sang that song for the legendary K-Drama, Boys Before Flowers.  That’s like, the first K-Drama I watched and that was got me going with the K-Dramas.  I mean, how could you not?  K-Dramas expose the plethora of sizzling hot, heart-stoppingly good looking Korean boys that you don’t see on the street every day. 

“Aish, stop singing!” Kai snaps, but as usual, I ignore him.

“Achimboda to nunbushin!!” I continue whilst taking the basket from the lady beside me and passing it on to Kai who threatens to hit me with it.  “....on sesang da gatjingeudhae~”

“STOP!”

This time, the basket stops on another couple, and they had to tell about the thing they like the most in each other.

“I like how she always knows what to say.”  The husband smiles.  “She never runs out of things to say.”

“I like how he makes money!” the bubbly wife says, earning a roar of laughter from the crowd.  “I also like how he can take proper care of our daughter Minah and make her listen to him.  He’s an awesome dad.” 

I smile and clap enthusiastically like everyone else.  Every family in here is such a harmonic family!

The next song that comes on is probably one of the most renowned Kpop songs. 

Sorry sorry sorry sorry

I bob my head along with the funky beat.  Super Junior yo!  “Naega naega naega meonjyeo—“

Kai sighs irritably.  “Seriously, Iseul—“

“Nuni busyeo busyeo busyeo—“

“Oh GOD!” Kai groans, rubbing his temples.

“Come on Kai, don’t tell me you don’t know this one either?  This is like, the song of—“

“I do much more productive things with my time than just watching K-Dramas like you, mind you.” He mutters.  “Now be quiet.”

“This isn’t from a K-Drama!” I argue.  “Come on Kai, loosen up a little!  You were perfectly fine when we were by the sea a few hours ago, what happened?”

“You weren’t as noisy back there.”  Kai says, shooting me his patented look. 

“But you’re really lucky you know!” The woman on my right butts in.  “Your wife is the life of a party!  Must be because you guys are still young.  Arranged marriage, I heard?  Maybe that’s why you two don’t seem so lovey-dovey either.” 

“See?  I’m lovable!” I puff out my cheeks to the cyborg beside me. 

Kai glares at me but forces a smile to the lady beside me.  “Neh, we were forced into this marriage, which is why—well, we don’t seem much like a couple.”

“But you’ve been married for 6 years already!  Be a man and show her some love!” the woman says again.  “I bet she’s actually yearning for it.”  She jerks her thumb at me and I blush a little.

“It’s okay, he’s always been like that.  But I know deep down inside he really cares for me~” I sing playfully, winking at Kai. 

“Yah, Iseul!” Kai snaps at me and I freeze.  , I must’ve went too far! 

I laugh a little apologetically to the mom beside me. 

“I commend you for your ability to put up with him!” she laughs and pats my back.  “I’m Boa by the way.  Kwon Boa.  Jiyong-ah, say hi to auntie!” she says to her son, who waves at me.

“Hi!  I’m Kwon Jiyong!”

“Iseul..” Kai calls me from my other side but I ignore him.  Hmph!  Serves him right for always being so grumpy!  I wave at Jiyong and introduce myself. 

“Hello Jiyong!  I’m Iseul.  I’m S—Kim Iseul,” I nearly choke at the change of my surname.  “This is Kim Jongguk, I’m sure you guys know each other right?”

I ignore Kai’s persistent nudging.  “Iseul!  Pass the baske—“

“STOP!”

Suddenly, the music stops and I eagerly look around, wanting to see who got the basket, but I can’t seem to find it.  Are we still playing?  Where is the—OH .

I bite my lip and look at Kai who’s holding the basket out to me and I quickly realize why he’s been nudging me so persistently all this time.  He was holding the basket!  He squints at me in anger and I gave him my best ‘I’m sowwy!!’ face. 

“Please pick a piece of paper!” the teacher sings again and I fish out a piece of paper. 

Unfolding it, I read out the question, “What’s the best memory you’ve had together so far?” I look at Kai for help, mouthing ‘make up a lie!!  Quick!!’

“You picked it.” He shrugs.  “You answer.”

“But Kai!” I protest.  “Help me.” I whisper. 

“Just choose one!”  Kai says, giving me a ‘I ain’t dealing with this bull with you’ look.  “Hurry up and answer; everyone’s waiting.”

“Aish.”  I frown at him.  “Why don’t you ever want to help me?”

“I wouldn’t have to help you if you didn’t ignore me a few minutes ago!”

“Still thinking of one?” Hee Sonsaengnim calls from the middle of the circle.  “Come on lovebirds!  You must have too many to choose from huh?”

“My .” Kai mutters under his breath, but flashes her a tight, polite smile instead.  “My wife here will tell it to you guys.” He says to the circle and I slap him.

“How could you do this to me?!” I whimper, but he only shoots me a look.

“Just go and tell them anything.” He says and I sulk.  He really isn’t gonna help me is he?

Turning to face the audience, I smile brightly.  “So!  We’ve decided that one of the best memories we had together—“

Come on Iseul THINK!  NOW! MAKE UP A LIE!

“--The most unforgettable of the unforgettables...”

A honeymoon in Paris?  But what if they start asking about Paris?!

“—um, was, um.. when—“

Or when we met in... high school???  Okay, safe enough.  Imma tell ‘em that one.

“When we met in high school!” I finish, beaming at them proudly.  I look at all the faces who were still staring at me blankly.  “Yeah... that..” I scratch my head awkwardly.

“Do elaborate!” Hee Sonsaengnim says, clasping her hands together.  “We love hearing stories of first-meetings!”

Can I just—

“Help meeeeee!  I forgot a little.” I wail, shaking Kai’s arm.  “Please?” I pout.

“No.”

“Yah, Kai!”

“I’m pretty sure you remember it better than I do.” 

“Kai, but I forgot—“

“You forgot how you first met your husband?!” A woman across me shrieks like I’ve just commited murder.  I hold in an urge to scowl at her.  Jesus, chill woman.

I bit my lip.  Are couples not allowed to do that?!! “Not really—I forgot a tiny detail—“

“Let’s hear it without the tiny detail!  Come on!  Don’t be shy— afterall, tonight is sharing night!”

.

What do I do now... what do I lie about.. what the do I sa—OH!

AHAHAHA!!!

I am a genius!!

I can just use a scene from a couple of Kdramas and stitch them together into the most heart-fluttering love story ever!
 

Pfft this is gonna be so easy.  Good thing I have an extensive knowledge of Kdramas. 

Okay.  Let’s start with Playful Kiss!

“So first of all, Kai was this slacker who wasn’t doing too well in school, and back in the high school days, I was one of the best students there.  I always ranked first and this isn’t just me boasting okay because it actually happened.  Now, Kai here—“ I pat him on the back, and yes I’ve switched the characters around because the male (Baek Seungjo) is actually the smart one in the drama, “—He needed my help.  Especially with maths!  But at first we didn’t really know each other yet.  And one day—“

I’m beginning to realize that this fictional love story isn’t as tear jerking as I hoped that it would be.  .  Now what do I continue with.  What drama now..

....

......

............

 AISH LET’S JUST MAKE IT UP!!  I clear my throat.   “—he asked me to tutor him.  That’s how I first met him, but that wasn’t when we fell in love.”  I nearly gagged.  “We didn’t fall in love somewhere along the way or somewhere between tutoring and sushi rolls—because we both love sushi—but we fell in love when... at a... um...”

“At a?” someone says eagerly.

“A...” 

Aha!  Let’s use that scene from A Fool’s Love starring UEE!  “During a high school reunion!  I came late that day because of.. this thing, and most of the people left already.  But Kai, you know why he was still there?  He accidentally wore the same outfit as the waiters there so they mistook him for one!  So there he was, going back and forth looking mega-pissed, but when he saw me......“

“Oh this is so cute!  But didn’t you say you guys got into an arranged marriage?”

.... .

.

Just...

!!

How could I forgot?!! 

OH GOD.  I can’t even—BRAIN!! Is you ded?!!!  Please!  Don’t abandon me like this!  I need to think of something and quickly backtrack—

I turn to Kai and motion frantically at him with my eyes.  “Yah!  Please, please, please help me now.  I swear I completely forgot!” I whisper.   

“No.” Kai shakes his head and I nearly cry in desperation.  Why is he so meaaaan?!  Doesn’t he realize that it’s for his own good too?!

“That part is coming!!”  I say to everyone with a bright smile on my face.  I should win an Oscar from all this acting.  “So Kai’s serving me peanuts and stuff, being the miserable fake waiter he is, when I suddenly get an idea and we both quickly devise this awesome plan and ran away from the restaurant and the fuming manager who is really stupid for not knowing his own employees.  We bought some alcohol to celebrate our own reunion and we sat by the Han River, and I was half drunk when I suddenly began crying.  I told him why I was late that day—and it’s because I got into a row with my parents because they told me they were going to marry me off to someone.  I was sobbing hysterically, and Kai eventually lent me his shoulder to cry on.  He hugged me in this super comforting way and my hair soothingly and yet a little awkwardly because we weren’t that close either during high school, and I don’t know how long I’ve been crying until he finally says ‘I’m getting into an arranged marriage too.’” 

I want to cry at how ty my made up love story is.  My real love story so far has been ultimate and even my made up one in which I could’ve made everything perfect is just as ?!  Why?!  This sounds so unrealistic!!  Not to mention that now I have to add even more details about this so called arranged marriage—how DO they happen anyway?  Like, over a family dinner?  OR WHAT?! 

“And then?”  Another mom claps.  “You guys must’ve been so happy when you found out that you were going to marry each other!”

“Um, at first we actually—“

“How did you guys find out it was with each other?” another mom asks.  “Omo, this is so cute!  Arranged marriages never happen anymore these days so I’m very curious about your story.  How did it go?”

“Kai.” I say through gritted teeth.  “I ing hate you you know?”

“Waeeee?  What did I do?” he groans exaggeratedly, making everyone look at him.  “Iseul, why are you mad at meeeeeee?”

“Aish!!” I glare at him before smiling sweetly *coughs* to my audience.  “He’s just childish like that at times.  Anyway, so.  We found out that we were going to marry each other because our families are actually very close to each other, and our family companies—“

“Oh!  What companies?  Maybe we’re industrial acquaintances as well” A bald father ask and I nearly scream in frustration.  NOW I HAVE TO MAKE SOME COMPANY TOO?!!

I don’t know any companies!! 

I mean, I don’t know any companies that will make this arranged marriage thingy sound realistic?  Like, what companies need to join in business anyway?  Paper and pulp?  Paper and chemicals?  Food company and... machine supplier?  WHAT?!!  WHAT?!!

I REALLY WISH KAI WOULD JUST SAY SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!!  URGH!!!

“My family somewhat owns the HOC.  Her family is one of our investors.”  A voice suddenly says, and I look at Kai in disbelief.  He... He’s helping me!  He... OH GOD, I COULD HUG HIM RIGHT NOW!! “Yah, why didn’t you just tell them that?  Did you forget why we’re together now?” he juts out his lower lip slightly and nudges me softly.  Every single cell in my body freezes.  Is he... is he half-pouting at me right now?  GOD BLESS US ALL!

He looks so..

Ahem.

Nevermind.

“A-ah, right.  I just.. I just didn’t.. want to...” I stammer, heat quickly creeping to my cheeks, painting them the deepest shade of crimson.  WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU BRAIN?!  Get up and put yourself into some damn use! 

“So that’s how we met, for the third time and as different people yet again.  The first, during high school as dumbo and tutor, the second as a fresh graduate and a mistaken waiter, and the third as soon to be fiances.  A week after she cried and puked all over on me, I realized that the person she’s been ranting about this whole time was me.  And the best part of it—do you know what she said when she was all drunk and cranky?” 

“Omo.” A woman giggles.  “What?”

Kai looks at me for a while, tilts his head to the side and eyes me slyly—and in that moment I knew I was done for.  He’s going to say something mortally embarrassing and he’s going to ruin my reputation forever!  I can already imagine.  This spawn of satan from hell is going to spew a few random words that will humiliate me to the deepest layer of cells I have in m

Please log in to read the full chapter