The Sea

Incredible Things
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I can’t do this!!”  I scream in panic, looking at my messy suitcase.  “Suzy, stand in for me.  I can’t do this!  I can’t pretend to be a mother!  I don’t even have any experience!!”

“Well do you think I have any?  You're going to be a mother anyway with or without any experience!” Suzy retorts, her eyes still glued to her laptop.  “Just play along with whatever the hell is happening!  Oh, and don’t show too much skin because you’re supposed to have stretch marks!”

“I thought stretch marks would be gone already after 6 years!” I cry, hurrying over to my drawers to take some sunscreen and my sunglasses.  “Suzy, HELP MEEEEEEE!!”

“Yah!  This is why I told you not to take the job!  These things could happen!”  Suzy snaps.  "Now shut up, I'm trying to—"

“You never told me anything about not taking the job—“

“I told you to think about it again.  Whether it’s really a safe job or not because to me the employer sounds kind of suspicious—“

“Well, the employer is okay.”

“Guessing how you’re pretending to be a mother, he’s a dude isn’t he?” Suzy asks, raising an eyebrow.  “Seo Iseul and her ever-inaccurate judgment on men has miraculously deemed this suspicious man ‘okay’...”

“Trust me, this man is really okay.  It’s his... friends that aren’t okay!  They’re the ones who made me do this!”  I look at the clock.  “It’s ten!  I have to sleep so I won’t look like a mom who just went through hell!”

“What if he tries something weird on you?”

“He would never okay?  He’s already pissed at the fact that I’m becoming his ‘wife’ for three days.”

“Okay, fine.   I guess he hasn’t done anything to you... and he didn’t do anything when you fell asleep at his place several weeks ago...”

“See?  My judgment on men is completely correct.  Anyway, Suze, which swimsuit should I bring?”  I hold up two different ones. 

“The one with the skirt.  Will hide your non-cellulite-ing .”

“Okay.  Hmm... Sandals!  Sandals check, swimsuit check, towel’s in there, clothes are all good, bras, , should I bring an umbrella?” I muse.  “Yeah, I should.  What if it rains?”

“Think of what a mother would bring for her son too..” Suzy reminds me, resting her cheek on the palm of her hand as she watches me bounce from one table to another. 

“What do mothers bring for their kids anyway?  Hair ties?  But Jongguk’s a dude.  A thermometer?”

“A thermometer?!”  Suzy cries.  “No, pampers!”

“I’m pretty sure 6-year-olds don’t pee in bed anymore.”

“Yeah, but what if.”

“But we don’t have any pampers at home!  Aish, he’s not gonna pee in bed okay?  He’s way past that stage.”

“Okay.  Snacks.” 

“I think the dad’s packing them already.”  I shrug.  No.  I hope.  Since all the snacks we got from our last Target haul is over at his place.

“Don’t think.  Tell him to do so.”  Suzy smirks at me.  “Call him.”

“WHAT?!”  I shriek.  “NO WAY!”

“Yes way.  You’re the mother of the family.  Mothers are the bosses.”

“Not in this family.  Okay, moving on.  Camera?  A family would definitely bring a camera right?”

“Tell the dad to bring that as well.”  Suzy sings with an I-know-you-don’t-have-a-camera face.

“We’re forgetting the camera.” I mutter.  “Hats!  We all need beach hats!”  I reach over to the topmost shelf of my cupboard and pulled out some hats.  One woven beach hat for me and a little fabric hat for Jongguk.  I consider bringing the Adidas cap I got from somewhere along for Kai but...

I don’t think I’ll bring it for him.

Or should I?

He knows that he should bring a hat for himself right?

But then again he doesn’t even know that his son feels lonely being at home without him all the time.

So should I...

Okay!  I will!

“You should really tell your boss to bring a camera~” Suzy sings, twirling a lock of hair on her finger.

“He doesn’t even take care of his son properly, I’m pretty sure he’s not the type of person to go on family holidays and take millions of pictures.  So he’s probably just as camera-less as we are!” I argue, trying to come up with a super strong reason on why I shouldn’t call Kai.

“You should ask.”

“I don’t need to ask.  Besides, we’re not even a real family, why do we need to take pictures?”

“To make you look like a real family, !”

“Ish.” I glare at her.  “What are other things that real family with real married couples bring to trips?”

“Condoms.”

“YAH!!” I scream, throwing a random scarf at Suzy.  “I’m being serious here!”

“Well me too!  Bring condoms!”

“SUZY!” I whine.

“Feather-thin ones for that extra feel.”

“Jesus—what the !”

“And lube!”

“YAH SHUT UP SHUT UP!!”  I shriek wildly, pressing my hands to my ears.  “I’m gonna deal with this myself!”

“Too obvious?  Handcuffs then?”

“Oh for the love of God... you and your addiction to !”

“Me and my addiction to is completely normal!  It’s you who have survived this long without it that’s not!”

“Whatever.  Patience is a virtue.  I’m waiting for the one.” I say, rolling my tongue on the last two words. 

“But seriously though.  I’m completely serious about the camera.  I’m sure every other family would bring it.”  Suzy says, switching back to business-mode just like that as she resumes typing some codes.  “Call him.”

“Why are we saying ‘call him’ like two stupid 15-year-olds in which one has just gotten her first boyfriend?” I groan.

“That’s because you are  being stupid.  Man, a camera is one of the convincing family staples!” 

“Is it really?” I look at my phone reluctantly.

“Yes!  Have you ever seen a family on a trip without a camera?”

“Never paid attention.” I mutter.

‘Well, you probably haven’t.  They all take pictures.”  Suzy snaps her fingers.  “Call the or I will call him for you.”

And that’s the last thing I want, because I’m sure as hell Kai wouldn’t want random people talking to him and suddenly demanding him to bring a camera.  And he’ll definitely go all ‘DID YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT ME BEING YOUR EMPLOYER—“ and . 

“Fine!”  It’s just a phone call, what else?!  Besides, it’s ten thirty already.  He’s probably asleep by now. I pick up my phone and call Kai.

With every second that passes by as I wait for Kai to pick up, I feel like I’m a step closer to death.  I don’t know!!  Calling Kai is just so... scary!!  I can even feel his scary aura via phone!  AISH!  Damn you Suzy for making me do this!  I don’t think I even remember what I’m supposed to say to him the moment he picks up!  What was it about again?  A camera??  Oh right, a camera—ow.  OW.  My stomach hurts.  This is what happens when I feel nervous.  My stomach starts contacting like a mothering idiot and it’s PAINFUL.  Breathe, Iseul, breathe.  If Kai’s mad at you, just tell him that—

The number you are calling is not picking up—

Hallelujah!  See?  This is the Lord saving me in modern ways.  

That’s right!  The number isn’t picking up!  Kai isn’t picking up!  Oh God, I’ve never been so grateful for someone not picking up the phone.  ASSAAAA!  I don’t have to deal with his y attitudeeee!  I’m so happy I could kiss my phone right now.  EHEHEHE.  He didn’t pick up he didn’t pick up~!!  I want to wiggle my tooshie!  I’m so happy that he didn’t pick up—

Suddenly, something starts vibrating. 

“AAAAH!” I jump a little, looking back at my phone and—

HOLLYYY WHY IS HE CALLING ME?!

Oh my .  .  .  What is happening?!

Why is he calling meee?!  He’s supposed to ignore me and continue sleeping!!  WHY!  I don’t want to talk to him!  I don’t want to pick up!!  I..

I’m sitting with my legs crossed while staring remorsefully at my ringing phone, mentally praying for it to stop like an idiot.  Phone.  WHY YOU RINGINGGGGG???  Stop!!  Now!

But it’s not stopping!  It keeps on vibrating and vibrating and vibrating and I never even realized that there are so many rings in just a single phone call because how many centuries has it been already I just need this to—

“ISEUL!!”  Suzy barks.  “Your phone is vibrating!  Even I can hear it all the way from here!  It sounds like fart so pick it up!”

“But Suzy!”  I point at my phone which, miraculously and curiously enough, is STILL ringing.  “IT’S HIM!”

“Just pick it up and pay your boss some goddamn respect!  I’m going to cut a soon because this program isn’t working!”

Upon hearing that, I instantly pick the phone up because the last time Suzy threatened to cut a , she really did break her laptop by accidentally kicking it to the floor (since she was working on the bed).  “Hello?”  I ask, no, squeak lamely into the receiver.

 

KAI’S POV

These MORONS!

How did they even manage to steal the phone from me that fast anyway?  I swear I had it right under my—ARGH!! Why did they even barge in thirty minutes ago?!  I can pack by myself, thank you very much.   I watch with crossed eyebrows as Chanyeol triumphantly holds up my ringing phone with a smug smile on his face while wiggling it.  Oh God.  Just look at that idiot.  Just wait till I fill all the beer in his fridge with rat poison and put some fire-ants in his .  He won’t be so cocky then.   

“And... call!!” He declares, and with a flourish, presses the green button and holds the phone up to his ear.  A few seconds pass and...

“Iseul!” He exclaims like the pathetic grandmother he is.  Can someone please just punch this kid on the balls already?  “Why did you ca—“

Thwack!  I sent a pillow flying at him.  “Hang up.” I order.

“YAH!” He glares at me, and immediately, the ’s minions, Baekhyun, D.O., Sehun, and Suho take all the other pillows and potential flying objects away from me.  “Kai’s sorry he couldn’t get to the phone a while ago—“

“I AM NOT!” I roar in protest.

“—but what is it?  Did you want to ask something?”

“Oh God.” I mutter, rubbing my face.  This little loose-lipped idiot...

“A camera?”  Chanyeol repeats with a grin on his face.  He looks at me for a while.  “Yeah yeah, he can do that!”

“YAH!” I scream, climbing up my bed and roughly snatching my phone from him.  “Hello?!”  I bark into the receiver. 

“A-ah, Kai?”

“What?!”

“I was just thinking... that maybe we should bring a camera?  You know, just to make our act more believable..”

“I don’t have a camera.”  I answer automatically.

“LIAR!  YOU DO!”  Sehun screams from one corner of my room.  “Iseul!  He has one!”

“W-was that Sehun?  Oh, hi Sehun!”

“Iseul yeah Sehun's right!  Kai does have a camera and he can totally bring it along!”  This time, Baekhyun yells.  “He has that vintage Leica one!”

“Um, Baek—“

“That one’s broken already!” I yell to the idiots, but with the phone still on my ear.

“OW!  Jesus, Kai, I can hear you!  You don’t have to scream!!”

“Oops. I forgot.” I mutter.  “Well, there.  My camera’s broken already—“

To my ultimate horror, Suho cups his hands around his mouth and begins screaming.  “IT’S NOOOOOOOT!  HE’S JUST TOO LAZY TO BRING IT FOR YOU COS HE’S MEEEAAAAN!  DON’T WORRY ISEUL, WE’LL STUFF IT INTO HIS SUITCASE WHEN HE’S SLEEPING—“

“Aish, shut up!  Fine!  I’ll bring the camera!  What do we even need it for anyway?  Who cares if we don’t look like a real family?!”  I snap.

“...for Jongguk.  He’ll probably want to take pictures.” She answers softly. 

I sigh and give in.  “Okay.  For Jongguk.” 

“YAY!”

I can almost hear the grin in her voice.  “Anything else?” I ask, without realizing it.  Wait, why am I the one offering to bring stuff for her?!  I mean, I’m the boss!

“Huh?!”

“I mean, anything else will be rejected!”  I quickly backtrack, cringing at how forced it sounds.  “Don’t be late!” With that, I hung up. 

“There!  Wasn’t so hard was it?” Baekhyun says, tossing my camera into the suitcase.  “Have fun tomorrow, lover boy!”

“Baekhyun, don’t push it.”

“Do you want us to pack you some condoms too?”

“GET OUT!!”

 

The sun’s golden rays shine through the curtains and hit me squarely, burning me out of my dreamless sleep.  I yawn and roll over, opening one eye.  Oh . 

It’s today. 

I rub my eyes and stare at the little cabin-sized suitcase on the foot of my bed filled with both Jongguk’s and my clothing, and inwardly groan.  I really am going on this stupid family trip.  I don’t mind going with Jongguk, of course, but what I do mind is going with Seo Iseul! 

“Aissssshhhhh.” I grumble, rolling out of bed.  I open my closet and chuck out a polo shirt and some jeans.  Normal daddy attire much?  Yeah.   Now I have to shower. 

It’s 7.10 when I step out of the bathroom to wake Jongguk up.  I enter his room and bend over to shake him awake.  “Jongguk~  Jongguk wake up!  Today is the family trip day, you don’t want to miss it right?” 

Gradually, his eyes flutter open and he blinks at me with a blank face.  Then, as if he just realized what I said, a wide smile spreads across his face and he immediately springs out of bed.  “APPAAAAAA!” he cheers, throwing his arms around my neck.  I smile a little to myself.  He really is happy that we’re going on this trip huh?

“Come on.  Take a bath and while you do that appa will prepare something for you to eat okay??”

“Okei!” He jumps off me and waddles to the bathroom.  I smile again to myself, happy to see him this happy.  My eyes rest on a backpack on his study table that I don’t remember packing.  Jongguk must’ve done it himself last night.  I open the bag and find it crammed with a small towel, a cap, a small notebook and some pens... and a few other stuff.  And some of those vitamins for kid I got him some time back. 

“He really is excited huh?”  I say to myself.   I, for one, still cannot see how tris trip could be exciting.  I mean, it’s just a beach.  With a bunch of people.  Suddenly, my phone rings.

I look at the caller ID and pick it up.  “Neh, Boss?” I say.  Sooman is calling me.  The Joker is calling me.  Why?

“Kai?  I heard you’ll be taking a three-day off.” His gravelly voice greets me.

“Neh, Boss.  I have to accompany Jongguk to his school trip.  I know I shouldn’t be doing this, but Jongguk—he really wants to go and apparently he told his friends something that made him have to go to the trip.... so I told the other 5 to handle everything.” I answer. “They’re more than capable so please don’t worry.”

“It’s not them I’m worrying about.  Who are you going with?”

“Me?”

“I heard you’re bringing along a ‘wife’.”

“Oh... yes.”

“And I heard she is...”

“Jongguk’s babysitter, yes.”

And suddenly, as if on cue...

“Helloooo!” a very loud voice screams from outside and I nearly drop the bottle of vitamins in my hand.  

Yeah.  The disaster is here.

“And yes, that’s her.”  I say to the phone, cringing in embarrassment.  “I have to go, uncle.  I’m going to be on father mode for the next three days.”

“Okay.” 

And with that, we hung up. 

I hear her make her way to Jongguk’s room.  “Jongguk, wake up!  Do you remember what day it is today?  We’re going on a trip, in our favourite rocket ship, zooming through the sky, Little Einsteins!  Climb aboard, get ready to ex—  Oh —you’re not Jongguk.  Uh.  Good morning!!”  she beams at me.

How can one possibly be that loud and cheerful at only 7.15 in the morning?!  I look at Iseul’s shining face and groan inwardly.  Don’t tell me she’s excited for this trip too??

“I’ll go make you guys some food!” she announces, then makes her way to the kitchen and start making some breakfast like she always does every day. 

I step outside as well to make my morning coffee, like I usually do every day as well.  “Where’s your suitcase?” I ask without looking at her.

“Oh, I decided to bring this large gym bag I had instead.  Bringing two suitcases would be too much luggage for a family going on a 3 day trip, don’t you think?” she answers. 

“Mmm.” I shrug, nodding lightly in approval.  “Ah, right.  Let’s set some ground rules.”

“I knew you were going to.”  She rolls her eyes albeit with a playful smile on her face.  “I have some of mine too.”

“What?  You?”

She nods.  “Let’s hear yours first.”

“There are 3 rules that you’d better not break.  Number one.  No acting hubby-wifey with me.  That means no circling your arm around my arm, no hugging, no kissing, no leaning on me, no—“

“Aish, no skinship right?” she cuts me impatiently.  “And don’t worry!!  Like I’d want to kiss you anyway!!”

“Light skinship like occasional or rare tapping on my arm or something is okay.  But other than that, none.  Nada.  Zippo!!  You hear me?” I narrow my eyes at her.

“Arrasso.  What’s the next?”

“Thou shalt not!” I begin, and watch her stifle a laugh at my Shakespear-ish language, “Go around chatting about me, in this case, your pretend husband, to other wives like those gossipy wives do.  You hear me?”

“Hahaha!!  I wasn’t even planning to!  Okay, okay.  What’s the next?”

“You are still taking care of Jongguk as well, remember?  Don’t go running off on your own to some place.”

“Of course!!  No running off.  Got it.  What else?  Oh, that’s three already.  Okay!” she says with a little salute. 

“I’d like to re-emphasize the first one.  Seriously, Iseul, if you try to make a move on me—“

“YAH!” she roars.  “I’m not that kind of person okay?!  I’m one who knows her limits so don’t worry!  Now you listen to my rules!”

“What?” I challenge, crossing my arms.

“Number one.  You will get rid of that permanent face of yours and smile!” she says, slamming her hand on the kitchen table. 

“What?  No.  You don’t have control over my facial muscles.  That one’s—“

“Kai, please just smile okay?  You don’t have to smile all the time.  Just don’t go around looking like you’re about to kill someone.”  She holds up two fingers to the corners over and stretches them apart.  “SMILEEEEE!”

“Okay, okay!  What’s the next?”

“You’ll act nicer to everyone!” she answers.  “And be more... present.  Participate in activities and socialize!”

“I’ll try but I’m not promising anything. Ares there any more rules?”

“Don’t go running off too.  Like that time after we went bowling?”

“I can promise that won’t happen.”  I nod. 

“That’s it!  Okay then, we’re all set.  Jongguk-ah~!” she calls at Jongguk, who has just popped out of the bathroom.  “Hello!”

OH GOD.  Why is she so cheerful?!  I swear, I cannot deal with this much sunshine!!

“Noona!  You came!”

“Of course I’d come.  Do you think I’d break my promise?” 

“Jongguk, hurry up and eat.  We have to leave soon.”  I say, pointing at the plate of scrambled eggs that Iseul has prepared.

“Look, this one’s yours!” she points at another plate and looks at me expectantly.  There’s another thing about Iseul.  Even though—okay, I admit this right now—even though I’m always mean to her and I usually snap at her, she always prepares food for two—and her food is always nice.  So that’s a good thing about her I guess. 

I pull out the chair in front of Jongguk at our small dining table and begin to eat as well.  I can’t help but wonder—she’s always cooking breakfast for two and never for herself, does she eat at home or...?

“Geurayo na! Neol!  Sa!  Ranghae!” she sings as she saunters to the couch and throws herself on it.  I’ve also noticed that lately she’s becoming more and more comfortable at our place.  One does not simply throws oneself onto someone’s couch like that. 

Suddenly, her phone rings.  “Hellooooo~~” she sings

“Uh, who’s this?” I hear her ask.  I snort a little. “Oh, Mark?  Yah, how did you even get my number?  Oh, nope!  I’m gonna have to miss classes for the next three days.  Haha!  Why do you seem so surprised?  I told the dean already.  Chill out, bruh.  Why do I have to tell you?  BYE!” and with that, she hangs up. 

“It’s 7.28 already~!” she reminds us, still on the couch.

I look at my watch.  “Let’s go.” I say to Jongguk. 

Alright.  Let’s go and let’s see how this goes.

 

Okay first of all.  

.

I never knew that there was so many kids in Jongguk’s class!!  There’s like, 30 of them, and each one brought along both of their parents, so that’s like 3 people per family, and so 30 kids equals to thirty familes, and so there’s like 90 people!  Jesus Christ!  How the do you live with this much people?!! 

“Yah, smile!” Iseul hisses at me. 

“Jongguk!  Oh, you realy brought your mom and dad!” A kid says, looking up at Iseul and I in disbelief. 

“Of course!  I told you guys I was going to right?”  Jongguk smiles proudly. 

“They look soooo young!”  Another girl shouts, immediately making every head in the room turn to our direction.

“We got into an arranged marriage.”  I explain, lying smoothly.  I honestly cannot say how proud I am of myself for making up this lie.  Now I have a reason to justify my not-so-husband-like actions towards Iseul if someone asks.

“Yeah!  We look young because... we actually are you.”  Iseul pipes up.

“Omo.  I envy you.  You’re still so slim and fit even after giving birth to Jongguk.” A nearby lady in an ugly, UGLY leopard print dress says to Iseul.

“Ah, thanks.. hehehee..” Iseul laughs awkwardly.  I quickly pull her away to avoid her from being asked any more birth-giving related questions.  Suddenly, Jongguk’s teacher comes up to us.

“Jongguk’s family in Bus 2 please!” she smiles, pointing at Bus 2.  Jongguk, Iseul and I board the bus. 

“Where we do we wanna sit?” she asks me. 

“There.  At the very back.”  I answer.  We make our way to the back and sit down.  I got the seat near the window (wher

Please log in to read the full chapter