Chinese Goddess

Incredible Things
Please log in to read the full chapter

 "Boss, these footages were obtained from the CCTV of subway train in Hong Kong yesterday."  One of the men dressed in black says, handing over a file of grainy colored photographs. "The train was traveling on the Blue line and was stopping at Fortress Hill when this was obtained."

With a frown, Sooman picks them up and examines them one by one. 

"Why is he alone?"  He asks, pertaining to the fact that there was no one else from the HOC around Kai when he was captured beating another man up.   "Where were the others?"

"He was last captured riding with his son and his babysitter until Causeway Bay.  The two got off there but Kai probably stayed behind—"

"No, he rushed back in."  Another man interjects, handing him a tablet.  "We've just finished downloading the video footage."

Sooman takes the tablet into his hands and watches the tape with a frown on his face.  This one shows a recording of a CCTV located high up on the ceiling right in front of the subway train's sliding doors— catching the moment when Kai rushed back in right before getting off the train with Iseul and Jongguk. 

After a few seconds, he says to the man, "I want to see a footage of what happened a few minutes before, Changmin." 

Changmin takes the tablet back to work on his boss's request.  Beside him, the first man, Minhyuk peers over with interest.  He never thought of that, surprisingly— what happened before?

Changmin grins, sensing Minhyuk's curiosity. 

"I'm waiting."  Sooman reminds icily, making the two men of his own unit cut their non-vocal exchange short. 

"Yes, of course, boss… aaah, I see!!"  Changmin suddenly exclaims, sounding almost gleeful.  He hands the tab back to Sooman.  "Here's a footage of what happened a few minutes before from a security camera inside the train."

Sooman watches it with knitted brows.  "Zoom in."

Changmin does so, centering down to the man standing a little behind Iseul whose his hand was slowly advancing forwards.

"What's that?"  Minhyuk whispers, trying to peer over, but Changmin ignores him.

The Joker watches what happens next with eyes that get angrier and angrier with each passing second.  The minute the man's hand lands on Iseul's backside, he cometely understands what this is all about.

"That fool!"  He yells with the ferocity neither Changmin nor Minhyuk saw coming.  "I knew it had something to do with her."

All the men standing in the room stay perfectly still.  The grainy video of the man slyly touching Iseul plays mutely on.

"Let me see the footage of him beating up the man again."

What he asked is provided and he watches the recording with unfaltering concentration again. 

"Run a background check on the man."  He says in a clipped, icy tone while his fingers presses pause right during a frame when the man's face can be seen.

His men set to work.

"He was affiliated with a local street gang boss,"  Minhyuk reports after a minute.  "He goes by Bao Gaoliang but the group's last known activity took place about 2 years ago."

Sooman bangs his fist on the table, livid.  "Is he in any way affiliated with the Triads?"

"There is no information about that stated here, boss."  Changmin says.  "Maybe he's not."

"We will check to confirm, boss."  Minhyuk adds, bowing. 

But the Joker doesn't seem to hear him.  "If Kai messed with one of the Triads over that girl... he just can't control himself, can he?!" he mutters to himself, staring hard at the video footage before him. 

Meanwhile, Changmin is staring at the screen too, but in an entirely different light— fascination.  Two things he learned today:  one, the girl Kai brought to Hong Kong the other day was his son's babysitter and not just some local hoe, and two, there is clearly something between them which Sooman is not happy about.  Not happy at all.

"Go delete the footage from the security camera.  Go online and see if anything else related has been posted— and delete everything you find."  Sooman orders, pushing the tablet across his tablet.    "And tell Dongwook to bring Suzy in once she has finished with her training today.  I need to speak to her."

"Yes, boss."  His men chorus, bowing low in unison. 

He flicks his hand once.  "Dismissed."

As the group of men in black turn around to exit in an orderly fashion, Sooman begins rummaging around his desk and drawers for his inhaler.  Damn that inhaler— where was it?  His chest feels particularly tight today due to all the stress that had been exerted onto him.  The underground business was never even peaceful to begin with, and now this with Kai...

Minhyuk notices Sooman's rummaging around.  "Need anymore help, boss?"  He asks just before he steps out completely.

"No."  Sooman answers without looking at him as he continues to check his drawers.

"Okay."  Minhyuk bows once last time before turning around.

"Just leave." Sooman mutter irritably.  Giving up on the inhaler, the man was just about to call Kai and give him the hearing he deserves when there comes a knock on his door.  Without waiting, Suzy enters. 

"Appa, you called?"  She asks, walking right over to her father's large work desk.

"Yes."  Sooman answers, still distracted.  Sighing, he places the phone down, deciding to call Kai later.  "What progress have you made today?"

"I'm learning about mostly everyone in the underground society, appa."  Suzy answers wearily.  "From the Triads to all the Columbian drug cartels.  There's... a lot."

"Did Dongwook give you all the information?"

"Of course not.  I had to dig them all up myself."  Suzy answers, if not with an air of confidence.  Then her eyes land on a small tube lying on the floor.

"Appa, you dropped your inhaler," she says, picking it up. 

"Did I?"  Sooman raises his eyebrows.  "I don't remember dropping anything."

"Well, it's on the floor."

"Oh."

Suzy hands it back to her father.  "Is there any other reason you called?"

"You catch on quickly,"  Sooman comments appraisingly.  "Apart from all the people you've been learning about, there are some other people you still have to find out about." 

"There's more?"  Suzy can't help but groan.

"Just one more."  Sooman smiles wryly.  And you already know her, he mentally adds.

"Just one?"  His daughter asks skeptically.  "Not possible.  Does he work alone or something?"

Sooman laughs.  "Do you want me to tell you or do you want to find out about this person yourself?"

"Is he really important?"  Suzy whines. "There's still so many on Dongwook's list."  Surely missing one person was okay, for now? 

"Yes, it is."  Sooman insists.

"Then I'll find him myself."  Suzy sighs.  All this was practice for tracking, hacking, and locating.  "Any leads?"

"This person works for someone very close to us, Suzy."  Sooman answers, his eyes gleaming with excitement.  "You and me.  And, mind you, it's a she."

 

KAI'S POV

I stare at Iseul's sleeping figure curled up comfortably beside me and can't help but sigh to myself.

She's driving me crazy.

First of all, I want her.  I want her so bad, I want her to an undescribable level and this — this with the raging that I have been forced to control— is painful.  It feels like it's ready to spit fire any minute now but it can't.  I'm barely resisting now but for her— even if it kills me, I guess I'll have to.

Second, how she garnered the courage to do what she did tonight will forever be beyond me.

She offered herself to me.

After everything I've done, she didn't end up screaming and leaving, banging the door behind her, but she instead tried to keep me loyal to her by... giving herself to me??  And when I told her to leave me if I hurt her again, she said no without thinking?  And she wants me to be her first?  Is she even serious?

I'm gonna die.

She's... crazy over me.  For me.  Is she in love with me?  Goddammit, I don't know.  She really does... trust me and feel for me and it... it’s overwhelming.  Not because I don't want this, not because I don't want her feelings or her commitment but because this...

This might really break her.  If anything goes wrong, I mean.  If she really feels this much for me then if anything happens, she'll really get hurt, and the thing is, in my world, anything might just happen!  That is what scares me!  There, I said it— it scares me, goddammit!  And I hate how it does.  I hate how vulnerable she is, I hate how I'm such a danger to her, and I hate how I can't do anything about it!

I wrap my arms tighter around her, hugging her warm body. 

This. 

Holding her like this is the most comfortable feeling in the world, but at the same time it's the scariest.  It's the feeling of being granted everything you want but at the same time reminded that it could be taken away from you anytime at all.   It's the feeling of having everything you want but not knowing if you'll be able to keep it.  Because this, what we have, is risky and there are a million and one ways it can go wrong, because again-- we live in different worlds. 

She still can't survive in mine.

And I don't want to break her.  I don't want to break her heart, her trust, her future, and her everything else.  But with everything placed upon me like this... it's frighteningly easy and I don't trust myself completely yet.

Absentmindedly, I kiss her in her sleep— once, then twice, then thrice, lingering longingly on her lips.  Watching her sleep like this... she's so delicate.  So precious.  I just want to squeeze her and fold her and keep her hidden away from the rest of the world in my heart.  I can't get enough of her— she makes me feel so warm and fuzzy and like I'm a decent person. 

She stirs softly in her sleep, her lips twitching a little.  God, that's adorable.  I want to kiss them again but I'm going to wake her up at this rate. 

her cheek, I lean in to kiss her again.  Just once more.

, I think she’s awake.

"Kai?"  She suddenly whispers, her sleepy voice as soft as snow.  Her eyelids flutter open, catching me by surprise.  , what do I do now?

"Mmm?"  I hum, unsure.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."  I automatically reply.  Dude, everything.

"Then why are you awake?" 

"Umm..."  I scratch my head awkwardly.  She waits, her eyes growing larger with each passing second as she slowly regains her senses.

"Why were you kissing me?"

"Um!"  I say flusteredly, sort of like a weird exclamation and all. "Just... because."

Iseul squints her eyes at me.  "Seriously, Kai, is there anything wrong?  I'm awake now, you can tell me."

She pulls herself up a bit and tries to shift sideways, throwing her hair over her shoulder.  , that was hot.

"It's nothing."  I insist.  "Go back to sleep, baby." 

"You sleep too."  She mumbles, nestling into my chest like she's done it all her life.  "Close your eyes."

"Mmm."  I obey, but the only thing I can think of with my eyes closed is how hot her raspy bed voice telling me to do things is.  Goddamn, I'm a mess.  One minute I'm affectionate and the next I'm .  — the things Seo Iseul does to me…

"Count sheep."  She suggests, slurring.  I can't help but snort at that.  Her side that makes me want to squeeze her is returning.

"Yeah."

"Stop thinking."  She tells me, as if peeking into my mind.  "It's okay, Kai.  Everything is going to be okay."

How is she the one telling me that?  How is she still telling me that after everything I've done to her?  I don't get how she does it, but I have a feeling neither does she.

But for some reason, the reassurement feels great.  I'm rarely on the recieving end of it, since I'm usually the one saying it— or rather, lying about it, but somehow... listening to her telling me that with her in my arms like this makes it believable. 

"Yeah."  I murmur into her hair.  "Everything is going to be okay."

 

ISEUL'S POV

I... I can feel sunshine. 

I’m awake. 

Kai.

Sighing, I snuggle deeper into the goose down comforter and him.  God, this feels good.  And last night feels like both a nightmare and a blissful dream all at once.  The anger I felt, the hurt, the tears, the screaming, but then the making up, the kisses, the falling asleep in his arms... my heart is going to explode any minute now.

Now this— waking up beside him this morning feels like opening the windows to clear skies and sunshine after a huge storm.  It's relieving, it's peaceful, and it's something I want to see every day.

Suddenly, I feel his lips press on mine.  I want to pretend that I'm still asleep so he can do it again but I can't— I feel myself smiling.  Aish, it's impossible not to.  Not when now this is the second time he's stolen kisses from me when I'm sleeping— or when he thinks I am.

"You're awake!"  He whispers, tapping my nose. I have no choice but to open my eyes.  "See, I knew you're just pretending to sleep."

"Do you always kiss me when I'm asleep?"  I ask, not wanting to admit anything.

"No."  He grins.  I roll my eyes.

"Of couse not."

"Yeah, no.  I just started last night."  He smiles a lazy, boyish smile that makes him look so soft, and with that bed hair and the blurry eyes, I might just combust anytime now. 

"Last night."  I repeat, meaningfully gazing into his eyes.  I want him to tell me what kept him up last night, even though I think I have the rough idea of it already.

"Mmhm, last night."  He gazes back at me, his eyes brown in the morning light.

"What kept you awake last night?"

I see doubt flicker into his eyes and disappear as soon as it came.

"Just... thoughts."  He finally sighs, sounding a little tense.  I can see him struggling to open up.  "About you and me."

I smile.  "I've guessed that much."

"I guess I was just... worried.”

Kai worrying?  Well this is new.

"Kai."  I say softly, touching his cheek.  "Worrying isn't going to get us anywhere.  You know that right?"

He clucks his tongue impatiently.  "Well yeah, Seul, but if you knew the things that I know could happen, you wouldn't be saying that anymore, babe."

Oh… right. 

I bite my lip.  "I know."

"But forget it.  You're right, worrying is useless and I completely regret letting it keep me up last night."  He yawns, scratching his head in what seems to be frustration.  " that.  everything.  Everything's going to be okay, right?"

"Mmhmm."  I hum, nuzzling into him in what I hope was a comforting manner.  "At least you know one thing you don't have to worry about?"

"What?"

"Me leaving you!  Mwah!"  I grin.

In contrast to my expectations, Kai gags.  "Too gross for 8 in the morning,  sorry."

"Yah!"  I whack his arm, raising my voice.  "Aish, I try to comfort you and this is what I get??"

"Okay, okay, how do I make sure you're not just attacking me with cheesy bullcrap though?"

I dramatically scoff, banging my fist on my chest twice.  "You mean you don't believe me?!"

"No, not that, but... I'm just curious.  Considering all that I am and all that I've done to you... what keeps you going, Seul?  What makes you stay with me?"

Oh wow, now he's deadass serious.  His eyes bore into mine, making it even harder to answer the question.  It's not that I don't know.   It's a matter of how do I explain something I can't put into words again?

"Well..." I start.  I look at him, unable to continue.

But then an idea comes to my mind.

"You kiss me in my sleep, Kai."  I say, a smile naturally forming on my face.  "You act the same way both when I'm watching and when I'm not— that's how I know this is real.  That's how I know this is worth staying."

My answer, quite satisfactorily, sort of lights up his eyes like Christmas lights.  We lay there, not saying a thing... until the moment is interrupted by—

Jongguk.  Oh my God, he's still alive and I completely forgot!

Yawning loudly, he sits up, scratching his head while looking somewhat befuddled.

"Jongguk!"  I exclaim, quickly sitting up.  "Morning!"

He blinks at me and smiles sleepily.  "Morning noona.  Morning appa!”

“Morning, Guk.”  Kai says in a deep, velvety voice, while his thumb gently the inside of my wrist under the sheets.  Only we know and aaaaAAAAHH why is he always doing stuff like this I can’t—

“What time did appa come home yesterday?”  Jongguk asks, and the smile leaves my face a little.  Because, you know.  Last night.  What time did he come home again, and why?

“Late, Guk.  Appa went out with the hyungs after the meeting last night.”  Kai answers.  “What time did Yi Han go home yesterday?  Did Uncle Han pick him up as usual?” 

“Yup!  Around… 9 I think?”  Jongguk looks at me unsurely.  “He picked Yi Han up after appa brought noona back here.  Noona, do you remember what time Uncle Han came last night?”

“Yeah, around 9 I think?  Who is Uncle Han by the way?”  I tilt my head. 

“Yi Han’s uncle, noona.”  Jongguk explains, rolling his tongue around the words like it’s obvious. “Who else?”

“Oh… well…”  I look at Kai unsurely.  With the status of these guys, Uncle Han could be anyone at all!  And would it be worth pointing out how he doesn’t even have the same surname as Wu Yi Han?  Maybe not. 

I nod quickly.  “Oh right, right, of course it’s his uncle.”

“Yup.  He always takes care of Yi Han when Kris hyung can’t.”  Jongguk seems satisfied with that reasoning so I won’t argue.  He poses another question.  “Appa slept with noona again last night?” 

Oh… .

That question makes me feel so, so bad.  Instantly I feel like pushing Kai off the bed, but I can’t do that, so instead I shift away from him awkwardly and sit on the edge of the bed like I’ve just been caught sleeping with someone I shouldn’t. 

“Um…”

“It’s okay, Jongguk is just asking.  It’s okay because Jongguk got the big bed all to myself!  It’s good, even!”  Jongguk cheerfully adds before neither of us can say anything more than my lame um. 

I watch him, biting my lip, unsure if I should be relieved or not.  Feeling like I should say something more, I open my mouth, but the man lying behind me beats me to it. 

“Really?   Then I’ll sleep with you tonight, Guk.”  Kai smiles mischievously as he sits up and hops off the bed.  “Or, better yet, you can sleep with noona tonight so I can get the big bed all to myself!” 

“Or,” I pitch in, watching with butterflies in my chest as Kai climbs up to his son’s bed to tackle Guk with a big bear hug, “why don’t we stick to our initial sleeping arrangements and let me sleep alone?”

“Okay, okay, I’m sleeping with my baby boy tonight.”  Kai replies dismissively, predominantly focused on hugging a squirming Jongguk to his chest as he lays them both back down.  “You hear that Guk?  Tonight you’re sleeping with meeeee!” 

“Aish appaaaa!”  Jongguk shrieks, giggling madly as he continues to try to get away.  “I’m not a baby!”

“What?  You are.  You’re tiny.”

“I’m six!”

“Six is still a baby.  A tiny baby.  A fetus!”

“I’m six going on seven!  I’m not a fetus!”  Jongguk rants, flailing around.  “Yah appa!  Let go!  Where are we going today?!” 

Kai dives in for Jongguk's ear, making him shriek hysterically again, but the latter quiets down when Kai cups a hand over his ear to—as I've just realized—whisper something. 

I narrow my eyes at them, especially when a huge smile breaks upon Jongguk's face. 

"Whooo!!"  He bursts out clapping.  "Okay!"

"What?  What did you tell him huh?"  I look at Kai, then at Jongguk.  "What did appa tell you Guk?"

"He saaaid," Jongguk ceremoniously begins, "noona is going to meet with her friend today so appa is going to take me out with the hyungs to have some guy time!  Ha!" 

He ends his declaration with a proud double-thump on his chest, an action that makes me just wanna smack this proud little er because of how wrong he is.  Friend??  What friend huh?!

"Friend?  What friend?!"  I vocalize my questions, ready to argue about this.

Kai grins and whispers the answer to his son, who upon hearing it looks at me with wide eyes.  "Noona!  What do you mean what friend?  Victoria noona of course!  You're going to catch up with her because you know Mark too right??  Don't you wanna videocall Mark together with Vic noona?"

Mark??  VIC??  Videocall?!

See see see??  This is why I still have trust issues!!  Yeah sure Kai might be a total softball who kisses me in my sleep but he is always making things up!!  Now what the hell is all this about Mark and Vic?!  Kim Jongin better have a veeery good explanation about this.

"Um... I'm meeting with Vic unnie?"  I, the MoronTM, stupidly ask.

"Yup!  Today noona, today."  Jongguk re-enunciates, as if I have hearing problems.

"Uh... Kai?"  I look at him pointedly.  "Can we talk about this?" 

"Okay."  He replies appearing VERY relaxed—which I absolutely do not like.  He must've had this planned all along, hasn't he?!  Did he make all these plans involving me without me?

I look at him, semi-glaring, hoping he'll catch the drift that says 'IN PRIVATE!!'

"I'll give you Vic's number so you can talk about it with her too."  Kai adds nonchalantly.

"No!!"  I quickly object.  Aish!!  I just want to screaaammm!!  Why do stuff like this always happen to me?!

"No?"

"I mean... why do I have to—"

"Because you'll be meeting her, Iseul, what do you mean why?"  Kai tells me a little impatiently.  Heol!  Is he getting mad?!  And is he forcing me to meet her?!

"Well why am I meeting her?!  I don't think I—" I stop, realizing how stupid and weird this whole argument might sound to Jongguk.  He doesn't know what in the is going on.  Sighing, I nod slowly... heroically.

Just for show though.  Kai and I are still gonna have a talk about later.

"I told you already right, yesterday?  She wants to meet you and I don't know, maybe talk or something, since you know Mark, and you know Jongguk and me and... yeah."  Kai explains, his voice smooth. 

I barely hold in a sigh.  Well, I remember.  It's just that—we're doing it today?  I'm not prepared!!  I should put on my mental armor first before I step off into the warzone to battle his ex-fiancee!!

"You... you're okay with going right?"  Kai checks with me, sounding cautious now.

"Yeah, well... I guess."  I mumble.  "Jongguk, you don't wanna come with noona?"

Jongguk shakes his head without giving it a second thought.  "Nope!  Jongguk wants to go with appa!  What are we going to do today appa?"

Kai pores it over.  "Hmm, we can do a lot, Guk."

"Macho guy stuff, right?"  Jongguk reminds him. 

His father laughs.  "Of course!  We can... paintball?  Go laser tagging?"

"Laser tagging?!"  I squawk.  What??  Laser tagging without me?! 

I WANT TO COME!!

I mean, not because I'd be mind-blowingly good at it and because I want to impress Kai with my unexpectedly awesome shooting skills—not gonna happen—I just wanna—

I just want Kai to come find me in the dark, sneakily corner me, kiss the breath out of me, then shoot me and walk away!!  I mean, I'd lose but wouldn't that be cute as ?!

"What, you wanna come?"  Kai taunts.

"Well, of course?!"  I reply angrily.

"Oh.  Nice to know."  Kai says cheekily, making my blood boil even more.  Grrrr!!  I've changed my mind!  I won't let him push me into the corner and kiss me!!

"Jongguk!  Just go paintballing okay?  Wait for noona if you want to go laser tagging!" I smile, turning to his son.  "You know what, you should go shower now.  You have to get ready!"

"Oh right!  Okay!"

As soon as Jongguk disappears into the bathroom I start attacking Kai.

"YAH!"  I snap.  "Am I really meeting Vic today?!"

"I told you already yesterday, right?  She wants to meet you."

"Yeah but... today?" 

And did he ever think about whether or not I want to meet her?!

"Well, when else?  Yesterday I told her you guys could meet today."

"Um... it's just too sudden for me."  I mumble.  "Why don't you let me make my own plans?"

"Because we're flying back to Seoul tomorrow, remember?  If you don't meet her today then you won't."  Kai looks at me.  "Wait, or is it that you don't want to meet her?"

"Well it's not like that either... just..."  I trail off.  Way to spend my last day here huh?  Fraternizing with his ex-fiancee.  Amazing.

"You don't want to, huh?"

"I just wish you let me have more say in this instead of directly telling me to meet her today, Kai."  I sigh.  "We should've discussed this together first."

Kai is silent for a moment.  "I haven't confirmed, you know.  I haven't said anything else about this to her and I was going to let you do it.  I guess I told you about it like this because I assumed you'd be okay with going since I told you about it already yesterday."

"Did I say okay yesterday?"

He chews on his inner cheek.  "That's what I forgot too.  I assumed you did."

"Well, I don't think I did."  I grumble.

"Sorry."  Kai mumbles, not quite looking at me.  For the ten thousandth time that morning, I sigh.

"It's fine.  Give me her number."  I reach for my phone on the bedside table. 

"You want to?"  He asks, unsure.

"Well... now that I know she's expecting me today, I should, don't you think?"

"No."  He shakes his head.  "If you don't want to then it's perfectly fine.  You don't have to do anything you don't want to, baby."

"Just a few minutes ago you were making me go meet her."  I deadpan.

"I guess I'm just... still used to bossing you around.  Sorry."  He sings with a pout and lethal puppy dog eyes.  Argh!!  His words scream but his eyes are begging love me— what am I going to do about this?!

"I know I'm still your hired babysitter, but for non-babysitting matters like these you should really let me make my own decisions, you know?" 

I think he's actually been letting me have a choice in things more these days, but worryingly enough, his recent choice of actions indicate that he might be relapsing.  I do not want that.   I mean, he's not going to go back to the boss who forced me to bring Jongguk to my classes with me, isn't he?

"I know.  I'm sorry."  He says again, hearts bouncing out of his eyes again.  "That wasn't the best way to break it to you."

"It's fine."  I scratch my head.  Seriously, I've just washed my hair yesterday—why is it already itchy again?!

"I sent you her number already."  Kai informs me, putting his phone back down.  "You can talk to her yourself and work out the details together."

I look at the new message from him.  "I can go anywhere?"

"Sure."

Okay, now I'm suspicious.  He never gives me this much freedom either!  I mean, I wasn't even allowed to go home alone yesterday if I hadn't stubbornly refused, so is he really just gonna let me go wherever I like now?

"You're really okay with going?"  Kai asks again, still looking at me.

I shrug.  "Yeah.  I mean, why not?  Besides, I think I can understand why she wants to meet and I'm fine with it."

Truth to be told, I am actually curious of this woman.  What is she like?  Is she a ?  Why did she leave Kai and Jongguk?  Just who am I—possibly—being compared to?  Wait, Kai doesn't compare me to her right?  Because if he does then I won't stand a chance.  She's beautiful, she seems nice, she's running a fashion empire which means she's probably filthy rich and I'm—

I babysit his son.

Her son.

My stomach tightens and I suddenly don't feel like meeting her anymore.

"Babe?" 

I blink and look up, meeting Kai's eyes.  The inquisitiveness in them makes me look away again, my eyelids tripping furiously over the nonexistent something in my eyes.

"You're... something's bothering you, isn't it?"  He gets off Guk's bed and goes back to mine, sitting in front of me.

"No!"  I laugh brightly.  "I'm just thinking about how I should greet her.  Do I call or text, huh?"

Kai gazes steadily into my eyes, looking straight into my soul.  After several seconds’ worth of deduction, he goes, "That's not it."

I avert my eyes.  "It partially is."

Liar.

"Don't call or text if you don't want to, Iseul."  Kai says again, his voice gentle.  "I'm sorry.  You know you don't have to do this."

"No, no, I'm going to."  I answer, trying to sound as firm as possible.  "I'll just text her."

"You sure?"

"Mmhmm."

"Okay then." 

He continues sitting there, gazing at me.  I stare at my phone nervously then at Kai.  "Are you going to... sit there and watch me while I text her?"

"Why?"  He tilts his head.  "Do I make you uncomfortable?"

"Um..."

He throws himself down on the bed, laying down with his legs dangling off the edge.  "Okay then."  He says simply, naturally wrapping an arm around my waist.  "I'll just wait like this."

"You're going to wait for me while I text her?"  I squawk.  Who's babysitting who for who?!

"Hey, who knows if you'll need my help right?"

I scoff good-naturedly.  "Yah, I won't need your help talking to another girl, Kai.  Maybe if I was trying to talk to another guy..."

"If you're talking to another guy," Kai repeats murderously, "you'll be needing my help in the disposing of his dead body."

"His dead body?!"

"You'll never know how I might accidentally kill him for talking to you."  He continues nonchalantly, grinning like the psycho he is.

"Yah!  Kai!"  I gasp, slapping his arm that he has around me.  "Get away from me!"

He chuckles lightly.  "I'm not joking about that, you know."

"Whatever.  Now be quiet while I make progress."  I finally come up with something to say to Vic and begin texting.  I'm just going to say something like... I don't know, let's just try this...

Kai snorts.  "That sounds like you're hitting on my ex."

"Yah!"  I holler

Please log in to read the full chapter