Day One

Incredible Things
Please log in to read the full chapter

Before going to bed last night I’ve made a vow about how I’m not going to wake up late or 5 minutes before 8 because I’m actually going to allocate enough time for me to brush my hair and pick out proper clothes, i.e. not the wrinkled clothes thrown on the chair in the middle of my room.  And success!  I woke up at 6.30 today, and the feeling is better than when I successfully hid my boyfriend from my mom back in high school for 8 months.

That is not easy, I tell you.

So now here I am, struggling to put on my sneakers as I try to scarf down a sloppy ham and cheese sandwich I assembled in 15 seconds. 

“Mmf!” I groan, kicking my foot a bit.  Damn, I do need new shoes!  “Ais- OH !” I curse loudly as I accidentally kick a little plastic dustbin nearby, making every single drop of dirt land on the floor making my apartment look like a warzone.

That’s not the worst part.

The worst part is that SUZY IS GOING TO WAKE UP ANY SECOND NOW AND YELL AT ME TO CLEAN UP!

“ISEUL!”

And there you go.  Introducing Bae Suzy—who is exactly like what her name suggests, a total BAE to apparently all the guy on our campus.  Like literally.  I haven’t seen a guy who didn’t try to hit on her the moment he laid his eyes on her.  Well, except for her father.   It’s completely logical, you know?  Your family name predicts your future.  Here is Bae Suzy who is a total BAE, and then there’s me.  Seo.

A Seo-seo (so-so) kind of woman.  You see?  You see?!  It’s true.  It’s ALL true.  My analysis is correct. 

Back to Bae Suzy who is currently angrily stomping her way over to me because I have awoken her from her beauty sleep (that I honestly think she does not need anymore) with her red curls all over her head like a giant glob of spaghetti.  Sheepishly, I smile and grab a tissue paper.

“I’ll clean it up.” I say meekly, trying to pacify her. 

“No tissues!” she objects, plucking it out of my hand.  “You’re gonna need a lot more than that stupid piece, and tissues are expensive.  Go use the broom.  GO!  TAKE IT!”

I swear, if a guy gets to live with her for only a month, Bae Suzy won’t be a total Bae anymore.  She’s super go-green and very concerned about EVERYTHING—especially cleanliness -- she’s into self defense (she ing does Muay Thai and jiujitsu, I'm also 90% sure she knows taekwondo as well), and she likes alternative-slash-rock and EDM music like some from My Chemical Romance and Skrillex.  Basically she’s a dude trapped in a bae’s body.  Then again, she’s very cautious about everything— sometimes even paranoid.  But whatever.  I can live with that.  Because apart from all that, she’s also very weird, funny, caring and comforting-- exactly the qualities I look for in a best friend!

“But Suzy!!  I’m gonna be LATE!  I didn’t wake up at 6.30 in the bloody morning to be late!” I whine like a child.  Ha, yes.  Me, a childish person like me, is going to be a babysitter!  Kai really does not know how stupid the choice he made yesterday was. 

“Well you shouldn’t have knocked it over in the first place.”  Suzy rebuts, sticking her tongue out.  “And besides, I still haven’t forgiven you for what you did to me YESTERDAY.”

Oh. 

Yesterday.

 

____FLASHBACK___

Ladies and gentlemen, you are now witnessing the newest member of the Ninja Turtles squad, Seo Iseul.  There she goes, soundlessly creeping along the halls of her campus.  Swiftly looking from left to right, she sticks one foot in front of the other and tiptoes across, crouching stealthily… as silent and as cunning as a fox…

“YAH!”

I freeze and close my eyes, hoping that now that I can’t see the world, the world can’t see me either.  Please let that not be her, please let that be ANYBODY BUT..

“You can hide, but I will find you!”

SUZY!

“AISH!” I hiss.  It really is her!  What am I going to do now?  She’s going to interrogate me and stuff and I really don’t feel like answering her, especially after hearing Kai’s last words before we parted ways a couple of hours earlier: “Do not let ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, know that you are working for me.”

I shiver again, recalling his haunting words.  Dear God.. what if he’s some criminal who is actually banned from Korea?!  Or what if he’s a drug dealer?!  What if he’s an assassin for hire?!  But then again.  He does have a normal-looking son.  I shake my head resolutely.  Nah, he’s a safe guy.  He wouldn’t have a son if otherwise.  Maybe he just wants me to keep this job as a secret because...

Because...

Aha!  Maybe he’s not supposed to have Jongguk.  Maybe his parents don’t know that they’re actually grandparents now, because Kai ran away from home, and so Kai doesn’t want anybody to know because his might be in mega-normous trouble if word somehow reaches his parents!

Yes, that’s probably it. 

Okay, let's be honest.  That is reasoning.  I don't think that explains why Kai doesn't want me telling anyone that I--

“Gotcha!”

“UNF!” I groan, as I felt myself being tackled to the floor by a sumo. 

No, by my best friend Suzy— and she’s far from a sumo. 

“SUZY!” I whine, trying to shake her off me.

But she does have that deathly punch and suffocating grip though!

“Where were you?! I was so worried oh my gosh you have no idea—you weren’t replying to my messages, and then you didn’t show up at our usual lunch spot.. where were you?  What were you up to??”

Me?  Oh nothing.  Just securing a business deal with a cyborg I’ve only met three hours ago.

“Nothing, I just went around looking for a new job.” I lied.

“And then?  Did you get one?”

“In fact… yes!”

“Oh, that was fast.  What is it?”

Oh.. .  What now?!  Come on brain, think of a lie! Searching….. searching…

“A babysitter!”

!  Crap!  Zero search results!  What now?

“A… what?”

Oh gawd.  I rub my palms on my face.  The way Suzy said it made the whole prospect of me being a babysitter seem ten times more ridiculous and I’m ready to dig myself a hole and hide in it for the rest of my life.  Heck, I deal with numbers, not people!  Why did I say yes to babysitting again?

Oh right, I’m strapped for cash.

And I like the kid.

“I’m a babysitter.  And best yet, the person who hired me said that I could name any price of my choice.”  I say, more confident now.  Ah, yes.  The best feeling in the world, this is, knowing that money is gonna come kissing your .

“What?” Suzy asks incredulously.  “Whoever hired you didn’t even know who you are, you both are practically strangers, and then this person offers ANY amount of money to your liking in exchange for your service?!”

Suzy always has a way with words that can make you feel like you’re a complete idiot. 

“Y-yes?” I ask, my voice cracking.

“And who is this almighty king or queen of money, may I ask?”

“They’re a nice, loving, safe family.” I fib before I could stop myself.  Oh no, did I say anything wrong this time?  Please just let Suzy let it go, please just let Suzy let it go—

“Hmmmmmm.”  Suzy hums exaggeratedly, conveying that she CLEARLY doesn’t believe a single alphabet that is coming out of my mouth.  She’s worse than airport security.  Her gut feeling is sharper than a knife— I don’t understandhow she does it!  All she does is hum and you feel like you’re a total moron with no basic ability to lie or something.  You know, like me.

“Anyway, I have to go to meet with one of my Profs to catch up what I missed out.  You head back first.”  I say in a rush, patting her shoulder in what I hope is an easy and playful manner. 

“Okay.”  Suzy shrugs.  “I still think you’re stupid for saying yes to this suspicious job right away.  I mean, what you find out that they actually own a ion house or something?”

I nearly choke on my own spit.  “Stop reading whatever gave you those ideas!” I scold and scurry away before our discussion turns into a debate.  I really do not understand how Suzy’s mind works.  But she must have a pretty wacko imagination.  I mean, she always comes up with these coolest new ideas for programs and stuff, since she’s in Computer Sciences.

“Things like that could happen!” I hear Suzy shout, but I keep on walking.  She can go and talk to my booty!  I’ll be earning easy money and that’s all I need!

But note to self: if it really does turn out to be some brothel or ion home, RESIGN IMMEDIATELY!

_____END OF FLASHBACK_____

 

“ANYWAY!  Done!!” I exclaim, unable to wait to get out of here so I won’t be late.

“Thank you very much.”  Suzy say, spinning around on her heels to go back to sleep, I presume.  Her classes today start at 11.  “Remember, call me if it turns out to be a ion home!”

“IT WON’T!” I groan.  Ah, yes.  Being friends with Suzy also comes with free protection services.

I run out of my apartment and down to the main street, trying to hail a cab.  “Taxi… TAXI!!” I scream, waving out my hand. 

Dammit, there’s someone inside!!

Oh, here’s another one!

“TAXI!” I scream again, but to my dismay, it drives right past me.  My jaw drops open.  What the—there’s no one inside!!  “YAH!” I holler.  “STOP!  DO YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY OR NOT?!!” I scream, trying to run along with it. 

The taxi driver inside, a young dude in his early twenties, I guess, points above my head.  I glance up and close my eyes in frustration.  Right, this is a no stopping zone. 

“WELL THEN GO OVER THERE!” I scream again like a maniac, pointing to right across the street.   Sheesh!  I’m already out of breath!  Come on, Iseul, run!  Run with those grandma legs of yours!!  Stupid non-existent stamina!

I’m panting and all sweaty the moment I reach the damned cab.  Why did it park so far?!  I clearly told him to just park right across while parked like in a whole different street and I had to run approximately 4 billion miles just to get to it.  But thank God it’s here now.  I yank open the door forcefully and stumble inside, still panting.

“To where miss?” the driver asks, looking at me from the review mirror.  I catch him stifling a smile. 

“To the HOC building.  And don’t laugh.  Who told you to park so far huh?”

“Where you told me to park also had a no stopping sign.” The taxi driver laughs.   

“Whatever.  Go!  STEP ON IT!  I can’t be late!”

“Alright, alright, I’m going!”  Mr. Driver says defensively.  “Got a job interview?”

“Nope.” I answer quickly.  I hate nosy drivers. I mean, just stick to your job and turn the radio on for me.

Perhaps he got my silent “SHUT UP” scream, because a second later he switches on the radio and tunes into Seoul FM. 

Nunmuri chaollaseo gogael deuro
Heureuji motage tto saljak useo
Naege wae ireoneunji
Museum mareul haneunji
Oneul haetdeon modeun mal jeo haneul wiro-oh

NO IU.  TODAY IS NOT A GOOD DAY.  I’m 26 minutes to being a minute late and I look like an ugly, sweaty pig!

“Hanbeondo MOOOOOOTAETDON MAAAL~” Suddenly, the taxi driver begins to sing!!!  I look at him, completely and utterly MORTIFIED.  He so did not get that silent SHUT UP scream of mine.  Why is he so loud only at 7.37 in the morning?!!  Can’t he appreciate the peace and quiet of the morn AND JUST SHUT UP?!

“Come on, join me!” he beckons, smiling at me from the review mirror.

“YAH, EYES ON THE ROAD!” I scream in response. 

“Oops!” he squeals like a little girl, quickly swerving away from a plastic cone.

“Seriously, are you always like this?  Why haven’t you lost your job yet?” I ask, holding on to the door handle.

“I’ve only been a part-timer since last week.”  He shrugs nonchalantly.

“WHAT?!  Do you even know where the HOC building is?!”

“Um, well, no.  We might have to take a few detours.  Sorry!”

My jaw falls to the ground with a plonk. “YAH!!  STOP!!! I’M GETTING DOWN!!”  I cannot afford being late!!!  Aish, ommaaaa!!  I can’t believe this is happening to me!!

“Kidding.” The bastard snickers.  “Of course I know where HOC is, do you think they’d let me be a part-timer in Seoul Cabs if I don’t?!”

I inhale and slowly exhale through my nose, trying to zen myself out before I combat this mothereffer.

“Anyway, come and sing along with me!” he cheers.  “NANEUN YOOOOOOO~ oppa G—AAAAAAAH—“

“Shut up.” I say through gritted teeth.

“Aigo, one, two, I’m in my dreeEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAMM—“

HOLY !  He really is doing that three-octave high super scream that only IU can pull off!  My ears are BLEEDING!  Windows are breaking, the rearview mirror is cracking!  Tyres are gonna flat out and THE WORLD IS GOING TO END BECAUSE THIS MORON IS BELTING OUT TO HIS HEART’S DESIRES!

“YAH, YAH, YAH!!” I scream, rapidly, thumping his head-rest.  “Are you always this noisy as a taxi driver?!” 

“Nope.”  He admits, panting.  “Damn, that was hard.”

“You are impossible!  Hurry and take me there!”

“This is a good day~” he sings as he nods, and thankfully, the goddamned song stops.

But my relief is short lived.  Next up on the radio is an upbeat song that I don’t know, but the taxi driver apparently does.  The song first starts like a wedding song.. and then..

“NAL BOMYEON DUGEUN DUGEUN NAE GASEUMI—“

I groan and bang my head against the window.  He really does know a lot of songs!  And he knows all the lyrics!  How is that even possible?!

"Christ have mercyyyyyy!!" I beg. 

“JARAJULGEEEEE~  Jaljakhaeyo!”

“What song is this?!” I ask, thoroughly irritated.  It’s not that I’m irritated by the song, I mean, it’s pretty good and all, I’m irritated by his impossibly off-pitch singing! 

“It’s called Don’t Stop The Love by Ben!” he answers way too cheerfully, but not that I blame him.  The song is so cheerful and fun, you can’t help but feel happy and all sunny as well.

“Ben?  How come he sounds like a girl?” I ask, wrinkling my nose.

“It’s because he is not a he!  It’s short for Bebe Mignon, who’s a girl, of course.  Oh, and you should totally watch the drama it came from, Marriage Not Dating.  Best romcom drama EVER.” 

“What?!  You watch dramas too?!  Oh my gosh!  I totally love K-dramas!  I’m currently watching Single and Cunning Lady with Seo Kangjoon who is a total BAE—“

“Sheesh, that?!  That was so long ago!  You’re so out of date!  Marriage Not Dating is the bomb I tell ya.  You’re going to love the lead female and of course the lead male as well.”  Mr. Driver says, and all of a sudden, he doesn’t seem that bad anymore. 

“Okay!  Well, thanks for the recommendation.” I smile.  “It's a bop!"

“See!  You’re catching it’s vibe as well!” The driver winks playfully.  “Anyway, we’re here!”

I pull out some notes and pay him, before getting off.  “Thank you!”

“Anytime.  Have a great day!” he waves, before zooming off, the upbeat song still blaring from his car.    What a quirky taxi driver.  I hope I’ll meet him again someday!

I spin around on my heels and look up at the HOC building that was looming in all its majesty before me.   From what I’ve heard, HOC, or short for House of Cards, is a famous hotel and casino business that has branches all the way to China.  I’ve seen lots of important events an

Please log in to read the full chapter