Back to Korea: Part 1

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good luck, Chanyeol." Baekhyun murmured and leaned up to peck his boyfriend. 

Job interviews were nothing new to either one of them because they had been on far too many to count. Yet, the fact that Chanyeol was about to participate in the most important job interview thus far made both of them a little more nervous than usual.

Chanyeol was about to interview for an internship at one of the most prestigious law firms in Massachusetts per Mr. Kim's insistence. If he was offered the internship, he would get  hands on practice to become an actual lawyer, his ultimate dream.

It was the greatest opportunity presented to him that would open so many doors for him. And the money he earned would take care of all the bills with some still left over. Baekhyun could then use his paycheck to put away for Mina and her education. 

If it all went according to plan, everything would be perfect. The only downside was that Chanyeol knew just how important getting the job was and it made everything more stressful. It was almost unheard of for a first year graduate student to get an internship at a law firm such as the one Chanyeol was interviewing for. The odds were seemingly against him.

He just had so much to lose if he didn't get the internship since it was the first serious step towards his career.

"Are you nervous?" Sung-Woo questioned as he straightened Chanyeol's tie.

Over the past week, he and Sung-Woo had become closer. As of late, the older man had been doing his best to become a father figure for Chanyeol and Baekhyun. 

Since they had no trouble warming up to him, feeling at ease in his Boston townhouse, all his hardwork had seemingly paid off 

It was currently a Saturday morning and they were all spending it at Sung-Woo's house to help Chanyeol prepare for the interview. Baekhyun sat down in the living room and watched the exchange between his boyfriend and the older man. He smiled an encouraging smile at Chanyeol to hopefully lessen his nerves. 

"To answer your question, I'm pretty sure I'm going to puke." Chanyeol responded, his face pale.

"There'll be no time for puking. You'll be interviewed by two main attorneys and an associate lawyer. They'll ask you standard questions about school and questions related to laws and the court. Then you'll have a meeting with the staff about a specific case being worked on. They'll give you the information on the case and allow you time to review it. Afterwards, you'll present your theories and solutions in the meeting room. If they like what they hear, you'll be hired as a law clerk to create legal documents and to create drafts of briefs to be used in court. Piece of cake."

Once Sung-Woo stopped speaking, Chanyeol's face had gotten paler, if at all possible. He sat down slowly, not trusting his legs to stand.

"Maybe I'm not ready for this. There's a reason why they send out 2nd and 3rd year law students for internships. I've barely finished my first year."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Don't even think about doubting yourself. This is something you want, babe. Don't back out because of nerves. You didn't get a full scholarship to Harvard for nothing. You have potential. This is your chance to prove to them that someone as young as 22 can go in there and show them up."

Chanyeol let out a nervous breath and massaged his temples to fight off a rapidly forming headache. He appreciated Baekhyun's encouraging words but they did nothing to calm him down.

"You just need more motivation." Baekhyun stated when he realized he hadn't gotten through to Chanyeol. He stood up and left the room.

"Where are you going?" Chanyeol questioned when Baekhyun was halfway out of the room.

"To retrieve your motivation." Baekhyun winked and disappeared. 

"He's right, Chanyeol. You and I have had countless conversations about my work and your ideas are genius. Your plan of action is always thoroughly thought out and presented like a true lawyer. Once you get past the nerves, you really do have it in you."

Chanyeol nodded, closed his tired eyes, and rubbed them. He had a hard time sleeping the previous night, knowing what was approaching the very next day. It was no wonder he was tired.

He didn't hear Baekhyun reenter the room but found that the older had done so when he opened his eyes. He also found out that the older was not alone and had brought Mina in to join their discussion.

She held the Boston terrier puppy in her arms and walked over to her father. Chanyeol picked her up and sat her on his lap, dog and all.

"Mommy says you're scared. Why?"

"I'm scared about a job interview, sweetie. I really want the job."

"I can make it go away." She stated. She climbed off of Chanyeol's lap to put the puppy on the ground. 

"You can make my nerves go away?" Chanyeol wondered.

"Uh huh." She nodded as she reclaimed her place back on his lap. She gestured for him to lean down to her. He did so and she wrapped her arms around his neck, placing a kiss on his nose.

"Magic kisses can do anything." She stated and Chanyeol chuckled. "You're gonna get the job." She added matter of factly.

"How do you know that?" Chanyeol teased.

"Because you're the smartest, bestest daddy in the whole wide world and you can do anything. You can even make all the monsters under my bed disappear."

Chanyeol smiled. He knew he couldn't do everything but the mere fact that Mina thought he could was enough for him. If that included fighting invisible monsters for his daughter at night, so be it.

"She's right. If you can defeat monsters, you can surely nail the interview." Sung-Woo chimed in, sending a wink Chanyeol's way.

Baekhyun spoke up next. "It's official. Mina says you can do anything so you can."

Chanyeol looked down at his daughter's confident face. Without Mina, he doubted he could've done well. It was the determination for the guaranteed security of her future that gave him confidence. 

"If you say I can do it then I can do it." Chanyeol nodded and gladly accepted the hug Mina gave him. She placed one more kiss on Chanyeol's nose before Sung-Woo announced that they had to leave for the interview.  

"Good luck. We'll be waiting for you when you get back." Baekhyun said as he picked Mina up from Chanyeol's lap.

The 22 year old nodded, filled with a newfound surge of confidence, courtesy of his daughter. 

The total interviewing process was bound to take a couple hours at least, Baekhyun thought once they left and only he and Mina remained. The both of them were left to keep the other entertained while they waited. Minseok and Luhan would have gladly been there to wait with Mina and Baekhyun and to encourage Chanyeol but Luhan suddenly had to work (he was an intern at a stock market company), and Minseok's morning sickness was preventing him from doing anything productive.

After finding something to do, Baekhyun and Mina situated themselves comfortably in the living room. They both laid on the rug to color and watch movies.

Baekhyun chuckled to himself because 5 years ago he never would have thought he would spend a Saturday cooped up in a house coloring and watching Disney movies on television. 

"Will daddy like it?" She held up a neatly colored butterfly from her coloring book.

"Of course he will." Baekhyun replied honestly as he colored his own picture of a flower.

The longer they waited for Chanyeol to return, the more nervous Baekhyun felt. No amount of coloring could take his mind off his boyfriend completely. His biggest fear was seeing Chanyeol walk through the front door with a crestfallen expression. He didn't know how to comfort his younger boyfriend if that did happen. On the other hand, he hoped to see Chanyeol walk in with a satisfied and elated expression on his face.

Mina became impatient too, playing with the puppy that she named Aladdin based on her great interest in the Disney movie of the same name. Baekhyun and Chanyeol had agreed to let her have the dog as long as Sung-Woo continued to take care of it until she was older.

She was okay with the deal, allowed to visit Aladdin whenever she wanted and to call him her dog.

Baekhyun was in the middle of making lunch when Mina jumped up excitedly. She had seen a familiar car and knew that Chanyeol was back.

"Daddy's back! Daddy's back!" She chanted, skipping around the room. Her dark ponytail flew wildly behind her and Baekhyun smiled tentatively. 

He wouldn't know whether his smile was appropriate or not until Chanyeol walked through the door.

When his boyfriend finally did, their smiles were identical. 

"How did it go?" Baekhyun asked excitedly and Chanyeol's smile widened.

"He was phenomenal during his presentation. I knew he had it in him but he still blew me away. Chanyeol, I better watch out. You'll make a better lawyer than me." Sung-Woo praised and Chanyeol beamed as Baekhyun hugged him tightly. 

"I'm so proud of you." Baekhyun murmured over and over.

"I don't even know if I got the internship yet." He chuckled but hugged back.

"It doesn't matter." Baekhyun responded and buried his head in the space between Chanyeol's neck and shoulder. Not long after, the younger man felt warm tears against his skin.

"Baby, don't cry." Chanyeol replied, rubbing soothing circles on Baekhyun's back.

Baekhyun couldn't help it. He didn't know it was possible to be so proud of someone that it brought tears to the eyes. For 4 years, Chanyeol had been keeping their family going, taking care of them in any and every way he could. Baekhyun didn't even know how to thank him. How would you thank someone who did so much for you? 

Baekhyun continued to cry silently and Sung-Woo said that he would give them some privacy before entering the next room.

Baekhyun assumed Mina had followed the 46 year old and left the room. But soon thereafter, he felt a gentle tug on his shirt.

"Mommy?" Mina questioned curiously. 

Baekhyun pulled away from Chanyeol and wiped his eyes. He crouched down to his daughter. 

"What is it?" 

"Why are you crying?" She asked, genuinely concerned. "Did daddy not get the job?"

Baekhyun chuckled. "That's not it. These are happy tears, Mina. I'm happy right now."

"But why are you crying?"

"Sometimes you can be so happy that the only way to express it is in tears. Okay?"

"Okay." She replied although she still looked a bit confused. 

"You'll understand one day." He promised and kissed her forehead. 

Then he stood back up and hugged Chanyeol once more. 

"God, I love you." Baekhyun murmured. Chanyeol couldn't have agreed more. 

"I love you too."

**

Life seemingly went back to normal after that day.

Chanyeol went back to class everyday, going to work right after and coming home by 10pm.

Baekhyun went to work everyday at 10am, getting off at 3 and picking up Mina at 4pm. Everyday, after Baekhyun picked her up, she asked, "Did daddy get the job?"

Baekhyun had the same response each day she asked. "We don't know yet."

One Sunday, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Mina, Kyungsoo, Jongdae, and Sehun were hanging out at Joonmyun and Yixing's place. They, too, were anxiously awaiting news of whether Chanyeol got the job or not because they knew it was a great opportunity for him.

"How many students were up for the position?" Yixing wondered as they all sat around in the dark watching a scary movie. Minus Mina, of course. She had fallen asleep during the previous nonscary movie and was snoozing away in Kyungsoo's lap.

"Three." Chanyeol responded from his place on the couch. "I know it's going to take a while. I mean, that job is a big deal and they have to make sure they're hiring the right person."

"True. It took an entire month for me to find out I got the internship at the hospital." Joonmyun supplied from his place on the floor.

Chanyeol was about to respond before Jongdae shushed him.

"Seriously guys? This movie is scary as and you're ruining the mood by talking." He sighed in annoyance.

"Don't swear around a little kid." Sehun responded. He threw a piece of popcorn in Jongdae's direction but missed and hit Kyungsoo instead. 

"She's asleep, asswipe." Jongdae retorted. 

Sehun responded by sticking out his tongue. Jongdae also retaliated with his tongue. 

"Either shut up and stop arguing or go each other in the guest bedroom." Baekhyun piped up from his place on Chanyeol's lap, wanting neither one of them to wake up Mina. 

"I would Kyungsoo before I ed Sehun." Jongdae protested.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kyungsoo questioned angrily, doing his best to not wake up the sleeping child on his lap. 

Kyungsoo was ignored by both Sehun and Jongdae as they continued to make jabs at one another. 

"There's no way I'd let you me. You're probably a anyway." Sehun responded and nearly everyone in the room rolled their eyes.

Jongdae and Sehun had been friends for years, always making fun of one another to hide their true feelings. It was so painfully obvious there was some between the two of them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter