Been There, Done That

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol and Baekhyun would have killed for another night alone in the hotel room. Another night to be in each other's arms, to have the privacy they deserved. But they couldn't forget that Mina and school were priorities and they had to get back.

"Are you going to class today?" Chanyeol asked after he and Baekhyun had checked out of the hotel and were on their way back to the university.

"Yes. I don't want to withdraw until I have a job for sure."

The idea of Baekhyun withdrawing from school didn't quite sit well with Chanyeol so the younger offered an alternative. "Maybe I should be the one to drop out. I can manage to work full time somewhere."

Baekhyun was adamant when he shook his head. "You'd only be working for minimum wage. One of us needs to get a better job eventually and I want it to be you. You'll be a great lawyer."

Chanyeol couldn't argue with that because Baekhyun's faith in him was empowering. He said nothing more about it the entire way back to campus. Once they got back, after having returned their overnight belongings to their apartment, Baekhyun gave his boyfriend a kiss and sent him off to class while he went the other way to pick up Mina. 

When he got to Joonmyun and Yixing's, he wasn't expecting to see Minseok there as well. Additionally, he didn't expect Minseok to be sitting at their kitchen table crying.

After letting Baekhyun inside their apartment, Yixing went about gently patting Minseok's back while Joonmyun decided he could offer no help to stop Minseok from crying and started playing with Mina instead.

Baekhyun had wondered how she survived a whole night without her parents but it didn't seem like she had any problems. In fact, she was laughing nonstop as she gave Joonmyun a makeover with her play makeup.

"Joonmyun, blue isn't your color." Baekhyun spoke up as Mina added a thick layer of bright blue shadow to his eyelids.

"Mommy! You're next!" Mina pointed a bright orange tube of lipstick in her mother's direction. 

"Um, I'm going to have to pass. We need to leave soon so you can go to daycare. Uncle Yixing and Uncle Joonmyun can't watch you all day."

She hummed in agreement and decided to finish Joonmyun's makeup by applying the bright orange lipstick to his lips.

"Done!" She exclaimed proudly. She handed Joonmyun a small mirror to see the finished product. 

Bright blue and orange just didn't go together, especially not on Joonmyun's face. And the red blush covering his cheeks only made him look like a clown.

Baekhyun tried to suppress his laughter but failed miserably. He ended up holding his stomach in amusement and Joonmyun joined in too.

Before washing his face, the older man proudly displayed his makeover to Yixing who also laughed. He was hoping to make Minseok laugh as well but the oldest man just continued to cry.

Baekhyun really didn't want to pry because he wanted to get Mina to daycare on time. So if he asked Minseok what was wrong, he would be obligated to stay longer to hear the man's problems. 

Baekhyun was going to let it go when he collected Mina's stuff and grabbed her hand to leave. He thanked his friends for watching her and made it all the way to the door before his conscience got the better of him.

He turned around and made his way back into the kitchen that housed his crying friend. All the while, he hauled Mina along with him.

"Minseok, what's wrong?" He finally asked gently. Minseok had always been there when Baekhyun had problems. He was just returning the favor.

"He won't tell us." Yixing responded instead. "He just came over early morning crying and he's been here ever since."

Minseok lifted his pitiful puffy red eyes to Baekhyun. The 22 year old had never seen the elder cry before. Baekhyun wasn't exactly good with dealing with people who were crying anyways. And it wasn't like Mina ever cried, she was always happy like her dad tried to be. What the hell was he supposed to do in a situation like that?

"Baekhyun, can we talk? Please?" Minseok pleaded. He reached over for a tissue that Yixing handed him.

Baekhyun opened his mouth before closing it wordlessly and nodding. Daycare could wait and class could wait, his friend needed him.

Yixing got up from the table and took Mina's hand.

"You can give me a makeover too. How does that sound?"

"Can I paint your nails?"

As much as Yixing wanted to say no, he said yes. It was hard to say no to Mina's big innocent eyes and adorable smile.

"Yay!" She squealed and both of them disappeared into the other room, leaving Minseok and Baekhyun alone.

Baekhyun instantly took a seat across from Minseok. "Is this about Luhan?" He asked.

"Somewhat." Minseok responded and wiped his eyes with the tissue. 

"Are you guys still fighting?" Baekhyun asked gently and Minseok nodded.

Before he could be asked any more questions, Minseok reached into his backpack and pulled out a plastic Ziploc bag. The content of the bag made Baekhyun gasp.

"Minseok, are you-?"

"Yes." 

Baekhyun was staring at a positive pregnancy test. Luhan and Minseok? Really? Seriously?

"Haven't you guys learned from our mistakes?" Baekhyun shrieked and Minseok shushed him.

"I haven't told anyone."

"Luhan doesn't know?"

"No."

"Why have you guys been fighting so much?"

"Luhan wants kids soon and I don't. He has a decent job and all but I kept telling him we weren't ready until we got out of college. We've argued constantly about it. He thinks that since we're 24, we should work on starting a family."

"Did he not use protection?"

"No, he did. I always made sure of it. But something must've happened. It probably broke and neither one of us knew."

Baekhyun sighed. He would never wish a baby on anyone during their college years. It was just so much to deal with.

"Baekhyun, I'm scared. I'm not ready for a baby but I know Luhan is. I'm afraid if I get an abortion or put it up for adoption,  he'll hate me. But if I don't, I'll have to take care of a baby. What do I do?" His tears started up again and Baekhyun reached over to pat his hand soothingly. 

"I don't know what to tell you. Having a baby is the hardest thing I've ever done but it's the most rewarding as well. When Mina first called me mommy, the joyous feeling was indescribable. I had never felt so happy. But I don't want you to throw away your young adult years for a baby like me and Chanyeol did."

Minseok nodded.

"Tell Luhan first and then talk about it. Don't argue, just tell him how you feel. Once that's done, you can go from there."

"How do I tell him?"

"I don't know." Baekhyun replied honestly.  

"How did you tell Chanyeol?"

"I didn't. He was with me at the doctor's and we found out together."

Minseok sighed and cursed under his breath. Things had just gotten so much more complicated for him.

"Maybe it'll be best to just blurt it out. Before he has a chance to utter a word, tell him you're pregnant. The two of you can work things out after that."

Joonmyun entered the kitchen then and both Minseok and Baekhyun stopped talking. Minseok quickly hid the pregnancy test back in his backpack and Joonmyun was none the wiser.

Joonmyun raised an eyebrow. "Am I interrupting?"

"No. I was just on my way out." Baekhyun said as he stood up. He mouthed, tell Luhan soon, to Minseok before hurrying off to get Mina. 

She was in Yixing's room painting his nails a bright pink. With each of the nail polish brush, Yixing winced.

"Just use nail polish remover." Baekhyun offered when he gathered Mina up in his arms, ending her newest makeover. 

"Yeah, like I own any of that." Yixing muttered sarcastically.

Baekhyun chuckled and decided he would have to set boundaries on Mina's makeovers. Nail polish was a big no-no.

"Is Minseok okay?" Yixing changed the subject so he wouldn't have to focus on his eye catching fingernails.

"Yeah he's fine but we need to get going now. Thanks again for babysitting Mina."

"No problem."

On his way out, Baekhyun made sure to squeeze Minseok's shoulder reassuringly. 

"You'll be fine." He murmured before leaving the apartment with his daughter. 

He dropped her off at daycare and arrived to his first class late. It was a very small discussion class so his tardiness was hard to miss. He received a lecture from his professor about punctuality and the fact that because he had been there for 4 years and was a graduate student he should've known better.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes before taking his usual seat. The 22 year old didn't expect Minseok to make it to any classes that day and the professor, who had not been expecting Minseok to miss class, decided to interrogate Baekhyun when the older didn't show up.

"Where's Mr. Kim?" He was asked by their most annoying professor ever. He was an old man and very old fashioned. He openly showed his distrust in Baekhyun because of how open he'd been about his life and revealing the age in which he'd gotten pregnant. The professor made constant cracks at Baekhyun for being irresponsible and implying he was not smart enough to even be at the University. 

Minseok, on the other hand, was his star pupil, always on time for class, always willing to lead class discussions, and always excelling.  For him to miss, something had to have been going on.

"He's not feeling well." Baekhyun replied.

"He never gets sick." The professor shook his head like he didn't believe Baekhyun. 

"He's human. Everyone gets sick."

"Are you talking back to me?" He asked, causing all eyes to stare at him and Baekhyun. 

"I'm just answering your question." Baekhyun retorted.

"It's not what you say, Mr. Byun, it's how you say it. Just because you're a parent doesn't mean you know everything. If you want to become a psychologist, you can't let your attitude get in the way of work."

"Attitude?" Baekhyun stood up. The professor had never liked Baekhyun because having a child as a teenager and out of wedlock was morally wrong and socially unacceptable according to him. Basically everything Baekhyun did was morally wrong in his eyes and the 22 year old had dealt with his judgement long enough. Baekhyun was officially done with that class and with school because his family was more important than either.

"Well you don't have to worry about me, professor. My boyfriend and daughter are a lot more important than having to see you every week." Baekhyun gathered up his things. "I'm withdrawing from graduate school."

"Why is that, so you can end up working a low class minimum wage job for the rest of your life? Without graduate school, it's next to impossible to find a good job with your degree."

"My boyfriend and I will manage. Don't worry about us."

"You're throwing away your future."

"You don't give a about my future." Baekhyun snapped while making his way over to the door. Before opening it, he made sure to give his ex professor a middle farewell. 

He left the room behind him, the students cheering and laughing at him standing up to the professor. He smiled. If he was going out, he had to go out with a bang.

Afterwards, he made his way over to the Office of Admissions where he explained his reasoning for wanting to withdraw and completed the technical aspects of the process. By lunchtime, he was no longer enrolled in college. His only job was to focus on helping and taking care of his family.

Since Minseok didn't attend any classes, Baekhyun didn't see him again until lunchtime when he sat quietly next to Luhan. Their recent arguments were obviously a thing of the past but Luhan had no clue about the baby that would no doubt pave the way for a whole other round of arguments.

Chanyeol, Yifan, and Zitao all came in together just a little while after Baekhyun began to feel awkward around Luhan and Minseok. Chanyeol sat next to Baekhyun, Yifan next to Chanyeol, and Zitao on the end. Kyungsoo ended up joining them too because he had taken a test and finished early. With all the extra people around, the awkwardness became a little more bearable.

Luhan was oblivious to the awkwardness and was in the midst of eating a burger when he came to the realizat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter