Bonus Chapter: Back to Korea Part 4

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you sure you want to come?" Chanyeol asked for what seemed like the billionth time.

"Yes!" Baekhyun exclaimed and gestured to the big suitcase in front of him that was partially filled with his clothes. "I'm in the midst of packing a ing suitcase. Of course I'm sure."

Chanyeol sighed. "Baek-"

"Chanyeol, we've left there twice, never believing we would return. And each time we left, it was on a bad note. You're being sent back to Korea for work and this is the best opportunity for us to finally leave there on a good note."

Chanyeol nodded and sat on the bed next to his 27 year old husband as his mind filled with conflicting emotions. Apprehension and anxiety were just a couple that were beginning to clash. 

"You think Jaxon will like it?" He wondered and Baekhyun smiled in response. Just as he folded up a shirt to put in his suitcase, their 3 year old son came running into their room with an armful of his clothes. With each step he took, he lost an article of clothing in the process, creating a trail that led back to his room.

With whatever clothes he had left in his arms, he dumped them into the open suitcase triumphantly.

"I'm ready, mommy!" He exclaimed, more than thrilled with the idea of his very first plane ride at the tender age of 3.

Baekhyun laughed as he picked up a winter jacket that Jaxon had put in the suitcase.

"It's summer, baby. Why don't you take these clothes back to your room and I'll be in there soon to help you pack?"

"Okay!" He scooped up the clothes and ran back to his room.

Chanyeol smiled for a moment but it slowly faded while he watched Baekhyun pack. "How do you feel about this?"

"Honestly?" Baekhyun wondered.

He nodded.

"I don't know. I'm questioning whether us going back there is a good idea. I want to go but there's so many what ifs and second guessing. Is it smart to take the kids? What about our families?"

Chanyeol wrapped an arm around Baekhyun and kissed his cheek. "The only family I have is the one living in this house."

"Seriously, Chanyeol. Seoul is a big place but I want us to go back to our favorite restaurants and shops and they could be there. You know they could."

Baekhyun was right, of course. Neither of them wanted to leave their birthplace on a bad note again but some things couldn't be controlled and whether they ran into any old friends or their parents was out of their hands.

"I guess we should look at it as positively as we can " Chanyeol said. "Mina was young when we first took her and I'm sure she'll appreciate seeing where her parents were born even more now. As for Jaxon, he'll love his first real trip. That's more important than any bad history we have there. Isn't it?"

Baekhyun didn't need a moment to think, he knew the answer immediately. "Yes."

"Promise me you'll have fun there. Promise me it'll be like having a clean slate when we go there."

"Okay." Baekhyun murmured before looking up at Chanyeol teasingly. "Is Soo-Hyun gonna be there?"

Chanyeol glared. "I hate you."

Baekhyun chuckled. "Really? If I recall correctly, you love me."

Chanyeol cracked a smile then, grateful at the fact that he and Baekhyun could actually joke about the incident that had once almost destroyed their relationship completely. It just showed how strong their relationship had become.

"I do love you." Chanyeol replied as he placed a kiss on Baekhyun's lips.

Baekhyun pushed the suitcase aside and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck. Packing would have to wait for a moment.

"What do you love about me?"

"Hm." Chanyeol pretended to think long and hard but received a playful hit from Baekhyun that translated into, 'hurry the up.' The 26 year old smiled. He didn't have to think about what he loved about Baekhyun. He loved everything. "I love your ability to forgive. I love your acceptance and open mindedness. I love how great of a role model you are for the kids. I love how great of a friend you are. I love how much smarter you are than me. I love your honesty. I love your strength. I lov-"

Baekhyun attacked Chanyeol's lips before he could utter the word 'love' again. But when they pulled back for just a moment, Chanyeol murmured, "I love your ."

Baekhyun cocked his head to the side teasingly. "What was that?"

"I said I love your ."

Baekhyun laughed at his husband's adorable goofiness. "I know you love my . You can't keep your hands off it."

"You're right. That's how much I love it." Chanyeol attempted to snake his hand over to said but Baekhyun smacked it away disapprovingly.

"Not until the kids are asleep."

That had become an extremely strict rule as of late in the Park household. Jaxon was too damn curious for his own good and had a tendency to interrupt at the wrong times. Also, he failed to understand the meaning of knocking when a door was closed. Too many close calls and too many questions. 

"Can we put them to bed now?" Chanyeol asked hopefully.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and checked the time. "They haven't had dinner yet."

Before Chanyeol could respond, Jaxon started calling for Baekhyun from his room, no doubt in anticipation for packing.

"Coming, sweetie!" Baekhyun yelled back before turning around to face Chanyeol. "Keep your hands to yourself and keep it in your pants until after 10. Deal?"

Chanyeol pouted. "Deal." But he sure as hell wasn't happy about it.

**

Baekhyun loved many things about Chanyeol as well. One of the things he loved was that Chanyeol had many sides to him. There was the playful/goofy Chanyeol, there was the serious/professional Chanyeol, there was the /erted Chanyeol, there was the sweet/perfect daddy Chanyeol, there was the romantic Chanyeol, and there was the sad/broken Chanyeol. They were all his Chanyeol, though, and that was what Baekhyun loved most.

He was proudly in the midst of witnessing the sweet/perfect daddy Chanyeol.

Jaxon hadn't been as ready for his first flight as he thought and once the plane began to pick up speed to soar into the sky, the toddler began to cry.

Mina tried to comfort her brother first by telling him flying was fun and there was nothing to be scared of. Baekhyun tried too, and both of them failed. Jaxon continued to cry and ask to go back home.

So Chanyeol gave it a try.

"It's okay to be scared, Jaxon. Everyone's afraid of something." He murmured as he wrapped an arm around his son.

"Even you and m-mommy?" He questioned, breath hitching slightly because of his sobs.

Chanyeol exchanged a look with Baekhyun and smiled. "Of course." Before turning back to Jaxon. "But facing your fears is apart of being brave. Do you wanna be brave?"

"Yeah." Jaxon wiped his eyes.

"Good."

When it was safe to remove seat belts, Chanyeol allowed Jaxon to sit in his lap and look out the window. The toddler had eventually stopped crying. 

"Am I brave?" Jaxon wondered. 

"Of course you are." Chanyeol kissed his forehead. 

After the initial fear wore off, Jaxon was able to sit in his own seat again and enjoy himself. Chanyeol was proud to see Jaxon face his fear, even if it was for something as simple as flying. Because when Jaxon grew up, he would have many other fears to face. And Chanyeol would never want either of his kids to let fear overtake them and give up. Similar to himself and Baekhyun, Mina and Jaxon weren't quitters. They never would be.

**

Jaxon was a sleeping lump in Baekhyun's arms and Mina was an equally sleeping lump on Chanyeol's back when they got off the plane 15 hours later.

It was a magnificent feat to be able to haul two sleeping children, two big suitcases, and one backpack at the same time while wanting nothing more than to fall asleep and have someone carry them to the hotel.

"You know," Baekhyun said when they were outside the airport waiting for a taxi, "the first time we visited here 9 years ago I remember us having a lot less to haul around."

Chanyeol smiled and held back a yawn. "Yeah, we were minus two kids and one backpack."

Baekhyun chuckled and remembered the trip that seemed so long ago. He and Chanyeol had only been 18, having just found out they were soon to be parents. It was the last time Chanyeol had seen his own parents and it was the last time Baekhyun had seen his father. Baekhyun and Chanyeol assumed it was their last time in Korea. But fate had other plans in store as they were still figuring out.

When a taxi finally came around and they got settled in the backseat, Mina stirred and woke up to the sound of her father speaking to the taxi driver in Korean. She was only 4 the last time they were there so she had few concrete memories of her time in Seoul but the familiar sound of Korean sparked stored memories.

They were good memories of spending the days sightseeing with her mother and the astounding culture shock she first felt but quickly got over. The bad memories of Korea, memories of her parents arguing and breaking up, didn't resurface. It was almost as if it never happened. 

When the taxi pulled in front of a huge hotel in the heart of the city, lit brightly in the wee hours of the morning, another memory resurfaced.

"Did we stay here before?" She wondered, slightly groggy from her long nap.

"We did." Baekhyun confirmed.

Specifically, it was his idea to stay there.

When Chanyeol first announced to him the possibility of being sent back to Korea for work, Baekhyun had already had his mind set about coming along. More importantly, he remembered leaving that exact hotel angry, with tears that threatened to spill. He wanted to associate the hotel with more recent and positive memories as the old memories of Chanyeol making love to him and the excitement of being in Korea had been overshadowed by infidelity. He suggested that Chanyeol put in a request to stay at that hotel and was pleased to see his request had been taken seriously.

"Do you remember?" Chanyeol wondered and Mina shook her head.

"Not really. Just a little bit."

The taxi pulled up to the front entrance and the driver hopped out to get their luggage from the trunk. Chanyeol hopped out to help and Baekhyun stayed where he was for a moment to say, "Don't worry. We'll make many new memories here."

Mina smiled in response.

Once all of the luggage was out and they got checked in, Jaxon finally stirred and awoke with a stretch and a yawn. He was greeted with quite a mesmerizing sight as it was his first time being in a hotel. 

"It's pretty." He said in awe as Baekhyun carried him onto the elevator and he looked over his brunette mother's shoulder. He saw the shiny front desk where the hotel manager was. He saw the smartly furnished lobby where many people gathered despite the early hour. He saw the hugeness of the hotel and had never in his short life remembered seeing a building so big.

When he turned back around to face forward, he was amazed to see his reflection in the gold colored elevator doors before they parted. 

Seeing Jaxon so happy made Baekhyun ecstatic as they stepped on the elevator with a couple of tourists and a couple of Korean natives.

He and Chanyeol shared a brief but important look. Both knew what the other was thinking. They were both remembering how they had contemplated giving Mina up for adoption because they weren't able to provide for her in the ways they had hoped and feared they would never be able to. But years later, they were able to give their kids all the things they needed and wanted in life and provide them with opportunities to have great experiences unlike any others. 

They had worked hard to give their kids the very best lives they could give them. How much better could things possibly get?

When they made their way up to their room, it was nearing 4am. Chanyeol's work started around noon which gave him at least 6 hours to sleep.

"Will you be busy all day today?" Baekhyun wondered. He was hoping his husband would say no but of course, he said yes.

Jaxon and Mina were both having fun exploring the suite they were provided with and allowing their parents to be left alone in the master bedroom for a few minutes.

Chanyeol took both of Baekhyun's hands in his own and kissed each one. "Any moment of free time I have, I'm going to spend it with the three of you. I promise."

Baekhyun nodded. He could hear the unspoken promise lingering in the air. Chanyeol wanted to promise that he wouldn't make the same mistakes he made 5 years ago.

"You're not the same person you were 5 years ago."

Chanyeol laughed. "Biggest understatement ever." And he kissed Baekhyun, short and sweet. "But I still love you as much as I did 5 years ago."

"You'd better." Baekhyun teased and as much as he didn't want to ruin their private moment, he had to gather the kids and hope they would sleep easily.

Mina, being the sweetheart she was, had no t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter