Reality Check

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anxiety wasn't a common emotion for Baekhyun to feel. But he found himself growing increasingly anxious as he stared out the window and waited for Chanyeol to finish. 

The 26 year old stuck his hands in the front pocket of his red hoodie and watched Mina and Jaxon play in the front yard with Kyungsoo. He tried his best to ignore the sound of a pen scraping across paper. 

He tapped his foot impatiently. "Are you done yet?"

Chanyeol chuckled and Baekhyun heard him say, "Relax, Baek."

But he couldn't relax. Not when the final draft of his thesis was due in 5 days and he had just gotten around to finishing the rough draft.

He raked his hands through his ginger hair and refused to turn around. He didn't want to watch his husband tear his paper apart sentence by sentence. Sure, Baekhyun had asked for his help, but that didn't mean he was prepared to handle all the criticisms that came along with it.

Chanyeol had been proofreading the paper for over 2 hours, wanting to help Baekhyun by being as honest as possible. His red pen had been going nonstop ever since. It made Baekhyun anxious to the point where he decided he couldn't take it anymore. Once he finally had a good reason to leave the room, he jumped at the opportunity.

When he saw Jaxon, Kyungsoo, and Mina making their way back inside, he hurried downstairs to calm his anxious nerves. 

"Is Chanyeol done yet?" Kyungsoo pulled Jaxon onto his lap and looked up when Baekhyun came down the stairs.

"No. I just couldn't be in there a second longer." Baekhyun sighed. There was so much that depended on that paper and if he ed it up, he would not graduate nor achieve his dream. 

Kyungsoo turned his attention to Jaxon and Mina. Baekhyun thought he heard him say, "Go give your mommy a hug."

A second later Baekhyun felt two pairs of hands tugging on his own hands. He crouched down to his kids and graciously accepted a big hug from both of them.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" Mina wondered. 

Baekhyun smiled, no matter how bad he felt, his kids always made him feel better.

"Nothing, sweetie." He responded. He kissed her forehead and kissed Jaxon before picking the toddler up. 

Needing to keep his mind off his paper, he decided to busy himself in the kitchen. He placed Jaxon in his booster seat and went about making lunch for the kids. 

He was in the midst of putting peanut butter on a piece of bread when he heard Chanyeol enter the kitchen. 

Jaxon squealed out a "Daddy!"

He turned around to find Chanyeol holding his 40 page research paper in his hands. He held it out for Baekhyun to take.

In exchange for giving Chanyeol the peanut butter knife, Baekhyun took the thick stack of paper and made his way over to the table. He took a seat next to Kyungsoo while Chanyeol took over lunch duty.

He took a moment to skim through the paper to find there were so many red correction marks. It made him want to scream (or cry). He only had 5 days left. If he screwed it up, it was all over.

Kyungsoo looked over Baekhyun's shoulder as the older read Chanyeol's corrections whilst trying to have an open mind and keep his frustrations at bay. 

"Baekhyun, don't stress out too much about it. You still have a week to fix it." Kyungsoo piped up.

Baekhyun looked up immediately to correct his friend. "Less than a week."

"Whatever," Kyungsoo shrugged, "you're really smart. You can easily get it done."

"I guess so." Baekhyun raked both hands through his hair as Chanyeol gave the kids their lunch.

He sat down next to Baekhyun and across from Mina and said, "It's barely past noon, you have plenty of time to work on it. Instead of stressing now, why don't we go on a date?"

"A date?" Baekhyun questioned. When was the last time he and Chanyeol went on a date?

"Yeah, a date with me, Jaxon, and Mina."

Baekhyun smiled at the mention of a family date. He couldn't have thought of anything better than going on a date with his three favorite people in the world. 

"Okay. That sounds good."

Chanyeol nodded and picked up the rough draft of Baekhyun's paper. He held it behind his back. "Out of sight, out of mind. Why don't you go get ready and we'll leave in about an hour?"

"Alright." Baekhyun left the kitchen table and disappeared upstairs. When he was gone, Mina spoke up.

"Where are we taking mommy?"

"I don't know." Chanyeol admitted. A movie was always the go-to choice but they'd never taken Jaxon to the movies before and the toddler didn't have a particularly large attention span. Chanyeol just wanted their date to be as stress free as possible. 

"Can we go see a movie?" Mina asked as if she had read Chanyeol's mind.

Their movie choices were severely limited. Only PG and G-rated were allowed with the kids. But if it would take Baekhyun's mind off the paper, Chanyeol wasn't one to disagree. 

"Only if Jaxon promises to behave." Chanyeol stated, turning his attention to his youngest child.

The toddler was too busy peanut butter off his fingers to pay attention. 

"Right, Jaxon?" Chanyeol emphasized. Jaxon nodded. Although he had missed the entire conversation. 

Kyungsoo observed the three of them and chuckled. He had babysat the kids many times and had unfortunately witnessed Jaxon's misbehavior and small attention span firsthand. The toddler was just too curious and independent that he failed to listen to authority and follow directions more often than not.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol had few experiences with punishment because Mina had always tried to be obedient. But after Jaxon came along, the time-out stair and corner had been invented. 

After lunch, Kyungsoo said goodbye, wished them a fun time on their family date and went home. Baekhyun was still in the midst of getting ready so Chanyeol decided to play a game with the kids while they waited for him.

"How about hide and seek?" Chanyeol supplied as his kids looked up at him expectantly. 

"But Jaxon doesn't play right!" Mina protested. "He always hides something else instead of hiding himself."

"Jaxon, you know the rules of hide and seek. Go find a place to hide and I'll find you. That's all there is to it."

"Okay." He nodded and Chanyeol covered his eyes with his hands and began counting to 100.

The sounds of shuffling and giggling were heard for at least 60 seconds. When he got to 100, however, the noises stopped.

He took his hands away from his eyes and looked around. The kids were nowhere to be seen.

"Hm, I wonder where they are." He said loudly, hoping to hear a muffled giggle as he walked around the living room. Nothing. Not finding anyone there, he went into the dining room. No one was there either. He went into the bathroom to find they weren't there either and decided to make his way into the kitchen. 

He eventually heard muffled giggling coming from underneath the table. Bingo.

Deciding to let them win the game, he said in mock exasperation,"I don't know where they are. This is so hard." He shrugged. "I give up."

He went over to the refrigerator and reached in for a bottle of water. He had just twisted the cap off and took a sip when they came out from underneath the table triumphantly. 

Chanyeol's eyes widened in false shock. "You were under the table the whole time?"

Mina nodded as she held her brother's hand. "We won!"

"You sure did. Good job." He praised.

That particular game of hide and seek took about 15 minutes and Chanyeol expected Baekhyun to be ready soon. 

He and the kids went into the living room to watch television and sure enough, during a mini argument between a 2 year old and a 7 year old over what to watch, Baekhyun came down to announce he was ready to leave. While he descended the stairs, Chanyeol noticed he had changed clothes completely. 

Baekhyun wasn't in the mood to simply wear his boring hoodie. Even if the date was with the kids, it was still a date with Chanyeol too. And he liked looking good for his husband. 

"Damn." Chanyeol muttered under his breath. Baekhyun was wearing one of Chanyeol's shirts which fit him loosely in a very y way. And those blue jeans, Chanyeol thought skinny jeans should have been illegal, especially on Baekhyun. Last but not least he had applied a bit of his lovely eyeliner. Whenever Chanyeol felt jealous of other people looking at his husband, he decided then he would simply wrap a protective arm around Baekhyun's waist and bask in the glory that Baekhyun was his in every way.

"Daddy," Mina snapped Chanyeol out of his daze, "why are you staring at mommy like that?"

Chanyeol quickly closed his mouth, partly afraid he would start drooling, and blinked. He had been hungrily examining every inch of Baekhyun's body and suddenly turned to face his daughter. 

"Because your mommy looks very," he had to choose his words carefully, "nice." y, hot, and able were a few of the more inappropriate choices.

Baekhyun laughed and went over to wrap his arms around Chanyeol's neck and kiss him. "Your daddy looks very nice too."

Chanyeol smiled."Are you ready to go now?" He asked Baekhyun who nodded. 

"Yeah, but I want to put my paper away. Where did you leave it?" He asked. Chanyeol nodded towards the coffee table where he had previously placed it. Baekhyun looked in that direction and shook his head.

"It's not there."

Chanyeol followed Baekhyun's gaze to confirm he was right. It wasn't there.

"Maybe it's in the kitchen." Chanyeol supplied. He untangled himself from his kids' limbs to make his way into the kitchen. Everyone followed him.

Chanyeol looked all on the table, underneath the table, and on the countertops. It was nowhere to be seen.

"Chanyeol, what did you do with it?" Baekhyun asked. He wasn't in panic mode yet but he really needed that copy. It had all of Chanyeol's corrections and improvements on it. 

"I put it on the coffee table right before we played hide and-" before finishing his sentence, Chanyeol and Baekhyun's eyes went straight to Jaxon. He his thumb and looked up at them innocently. 

"Jaxon, did you take mommy's paper?" Chanyeol wondered. The toddler shook his head but a smile played at the corners of his mouth, telling them otherwise. 

Mina piped up, "I told you he hides things."

"Did you see where he hid it?" Baekhyun asked and Mina shook her head no.

Chanyeol crouched down to the 2 year old. He gently removed his son's thumb from his mouth so he could speak clearly. 

"Where did you put the paper?"

Jaxon shrugged. "Don't remember."

Baekhyun sighed. "Jaxon, it's really important to me."

In response, Jaxon broke away from his father and ran away, probably to avoid punishment. Chanyeol shook his head in exasperation. He was not in the mood to chase a toddler around but knew he had to anyway. 

"Baekhyun, Mina, go look for the paper. I'll take care of Jaxon."

The mother and daughter duo split up to carry out their duties while Chanyeol simultaneously carried out his.

Chanyeol followed the sound of Jaxon's quick and short footsteps into the hall. The toddler was still mastering the art of running as he was in the midst of mastering other things. 

So it was no surprise he tripped and fell before Chanyeol could catch up to him. The child's screams filled the air as he clutched his wounded knee. 

Baekhyun, temporarily forgetting his paper in favor of finding the cause of his son's cries, made his way into the hallway. Chany

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter