And Then There Were 10

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 months later

There were many things Baekhyun loved in life but just a few he loved best. He loved his friends, he loved being Chanyeol's husband, and he loved being Mina and Jaxon's mommy. To have such amazing friends and family made him the luckiest guy on the planet. 

Although, there was still one thing he was missing in his life. 

**

He held a 2 month old Jaxon in his lap and clapped proudly as Kyungsoo's name was called and he walked across the stage. Then Zitao's name was called later and Jongdae's name was the last out of the three alphabetically.

Jongin and Sehun still had a ways to go to graduate but it would soon be their turn to walk across the stage. Hopefully, it would eventually be Baekhyun's turn as well.

After the graduation ceremony, the 12 friends gathered with the three kids.

Kyungsoo, Jongdae, and Zitao took graduation pictures on the lawn while Baekhyun looked on longingly. Graduation was definitely something to celebrate after being in college for 7 years.

Their graduation really got Baekhyun thinking. He remembered what he said many years ago when he dropped out of graduate school. He told Chanyeol to follow his dream first and Baekhyun's dream would wait.

Chanyeol had already reached his dream but for Baekhyun, his still felt unresolved. Wasn't it now his turn to feel the same satisfaction Chanyeol felt once he became a lawyer?

Later that night, he sat up in bed with Jaxon latched to his . He was thoughtful while he waited for Chanyeol to return from taking a shower.

When he finally did, Baekhyun wasted no time to say, "I've been thinking."

"About?" Chanyeol wondered as he got dressed. 

"I have everything I could ever want in life except, I never became a psychologist."

"You still want to?"

"It was my dream. I think it still is." 

Chanyeol smiled and kissed Baekhyun. "Then follow it. I think it's time."

He nodded thoughtfully. He loved teaching but didn't expect it to be his job for the rest of his life. And because he was still on maternity leave, he knew he wouldn't be going back to work for a while. 

Not to mention, they were able to have more flexibility to help make his dream a reality because of the financial security they'd worked so hard to get.

"I want to be a full time stay at home mom." He stated as Chanyeol crawled into bed next to him. 

His younger husband nodded.

"And I want to finish graduate school. I could take classes online or take a couple evening classes after you get home."

"Whatever you want to do, baby."

Baekhyun smiled. He and Chanyeol were both making something out of their lives. From being teenage parents and homeless to being adult parents and successful. It was something to be proud of.

Chanyeol turned his attention to their feeding son. "Jaxon, are you gonna let me be alone with mommy now?"

The 2 month old continued to hungrily in response. Chanyeol took that as a no.

"What's more important? Our kids or our life?"

Chanyeol pouted. "It's a rhetorical question, right? Without our life, the kids wouldn't even be here."

Baekhyun laughed before placing a kiss on Chanyeol's pouting lips.

Eventually, Jaxon decided he had enough and turned his head. Baekhyun took his young son into the nursery to get him ready for bed.

He kissed his son's head before gently placing him in the crib. 

"I love you so much." He cooed. It wasn't easy being a parent of two children but he and Chanyeol were trying their best. They gave their kids all the love they could give and that was what mattered most. 

**

A lot of things had changed with the addition of a baby. Take Baekhyun's hair for example. What had once been naturally dark hair was now light ginger hair. The new baby brought about many new changes. 

He even had a new routine he was slowly getting adjusted to that started with Jaxon crying like clockwork at 4am for his morning feed. 

Baekhyun would climb out of bed quietly, making sure not to jostle Chanyeol because he had to be fully rested for work. He worked hard for his family. Baekhyun would never deny how hard he worked.

After feeding Jaxon, he would place the baby on his play mat while he went to make breakfast. However, new routines weren't always consistent and that particular morning was a perfect example of inconsistency. 

Baekhyun got up and fed Jaxon as usual, sitting on the couch to watch television while he fed him. He knew he wasn't going back to sleep. He was used to getting close to 4 hours a night. 

Chanyeol woke up at 6 to join his husband and son. Baekhyun handed Jaxon to him, giving his arms a break.

Jaxon loved his parents' attention, giggling as he sat in Chanyeol's lap. The 24 year old hugged his only son. Already, they had a bond that could never be broken.

"We make some really cute kids." Chanyeol murmured as Jaxon chewed/gummed on his finger.

Baekhyun smiled. "We do.

"Do you want more?" Chanyeol teased. 

"Um, maybe until Jaxon's at least three."

"Agreed." Chanyeol chuckled. Two kids were more than enough for them.

Completely satisfied with the family he had, Chanyeol would've killed to spend all day sitting with Baekhyun and holding Jaxon but he had to get ready for work.

He handed Jaxon back to his mother and disappeared upstairs. 

Baekhyun placed Jaxon on his play mat, needing to start on breakfast. Unfortunately, the 2 month old decided to be fussy and whined the second he was out of Baekhyun's arms.

"I need to make breakfast, honey." He murmured as he leaned down to kiss his baby.

When he went into the kitchen, Jaxon's whines turned into cries. He sighed, especially when his cries woke Mina up.

He picked Jaxon up just as Mina entered the room, rubbing her eyes. She loved her brother and all but his crying was really interrupting her sleep pattern.

"Mommy, why does he cry so much?" She whined. 

Baekhyun rocked Jaxon in his arms, his cries had become whimpers.

"You cried this much too." He had to remind her. He and Chanyeol lost plenty of sleep because of her.

"But I couldn't have been as loud as him." She pouted. 

Baekhyun chuckled. "You have no idea."

Mina continued to pout but went off to watch her morning television shows. Baekhyun continued to calm Jaxon down.  It had taken longer than expected for the baby to calm down completely. 

Baekhyun usually had breakfast ready for Chanyeol before he left for work but Jaxon's crying had delayed it.

The second he put him down, Jaxon erupted into screams once more. 

Chanyeol came down the stairs at that moment, tying his tie. 

"I haven't even started breakfast. I'm sorry." He said over Jaxon's screams. 

"Don't worry about it." Chanyeol said as he crouched down to pick Jaxon up. "Why is he so fussy today?"

Baekhyun shrugged as tears rolled down Jaxon's red face. He was usually so cooperative. His crying was like a foreshadowing of a bad day.

Chanyeol kissed Jaxon's forehead before addressing his husband. "I'll get something to eat on the way."

Baekhyun nodded and accepted a kiss from Chanyeol. "I love you. Have a good day at work."

Chanyeol placed Jaxon back on the floor and winced as he started crying again. He gave Baekhyun an apologetic look before grabbing his keys and going to say goodbye to Mina. 

"Can I come to work with you?" She pleaded as she wrapped her arms around his waist. At least it would be quiet at the law firm.

He chuckled and kissed her. "Not today. You'll be fine here."

As if Mina had it bad, Baekhyun had to deal with Jaxon's cries and her complaining on top of it once Chanyeol was gone.

"Mommy, I can't hear the t.v!" To compensate for Jaxon's crying, she turned the television up louder. 

"I can't hear myself think." He muttered to himself. Being a parent wasn't easy and he was reminded of that fact that particular day.

He was attempting to make breakfast as fast as he could over Jaxon's cries. And after Mina had stopped complaining about not being able to hear the t.v., she complained about being hungry. 

"Mommy, is it ready yet?"

"Not yet. Be patient, honey." It takes years to master the art of patience and with a new brother, Mina's patience was being tested for the first time. 

Mastering patience started for Baekhyun when he became Chanyeol's tutor back in high school. As smart as Chanyeol was and still is, he could never grasp advanced math and when he first started learning English, it was horrendous. 

And then when they first had Mina and now Jaxon, his patience was tested and pushed to the limit. Baekhyun would probably say he had mastered the art of patience but there were still times when he got frustrated. He wasn't perfect. 

When the doorbell rang while he was in the middle of giving Mina her breakfast, he huffed in frustration. It was just one of those days.

When the person ringing the doorbell became impatient, they pressed the doorbell more times than necessary. The sounds of Jaxon's cries and the doorbell reverberated around his skull.

He would have a headache soon, he was sure of it. 

"Damn it, I'm coming!" He hissed as he picked up Jaxon. The baby's cries subsided when he was in Baekhyun's arms. The 24 year old cradled Jaxon in one arm and used the other to open the door. Jaxon whimpered slightly but found a way to amuse himself with the strings of Baekhyun's gray sweatshirt. 

Baekhyun's wardrobe lately consisted of nothing more than sweatpants and sweatshirts. There wasn't much time or reason for him to dress up. And if the strings of his sweatshirts kept Jaxon from crying, he would wear them everyday. 

The 2 month old slobbered on the strings as Baekhyun opened the door. 

Jongdae stood waiting on the front step. He had his hand up to ring the doorbell again but there was no need when he saw his friend. Baekhyun took one look at Jongdae's upset face and took a different look at the red suitcase his friend had behind him.

Jongdae looked up at Baekhyun with wet eyes and his lower lip threatened to wobble.

"Don't even think about crying. I've heard enough crying for the morning." He hissed.

Jongdae looked pathetic and Baekhyun invited him in, suitcase and all. The younger friend plopped down on Chanyeol and Baekhyun's couch.

He sighed overdramatically and played with the handle on his suitcase. He was just waiting for Baekhyun to ask him what was wrong.

Baekhyun sighed and gave in. "What's wrong, Jongdae?"

"Sehun and I broke up!" He blurted out and couldn't help the tears that ran down his cheeks. 

Baekhyun grabbed a few tissues from the tissue box on the coffee table and handed them to Jongdae. He blew his nose and wiped his eyes.

"I'm sorry. What happened?"

"We're at comp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter