The Runaway

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun realized how pitiful it was, the way Mina stared out the window with tears in her eyes. She was waiting for Chanyeol to get back from work. Because she was on summer vacation, she had nothing else to occupy her time.

With Baekhyun being on maternity leave, he was able to witness it first-hand. It was absolutely pitiful.

"Mina, do you wanna go swimming?"

She shook her head, breath fogging up the window while Baekhyun bit his lip in contemplation. 

Mina was making herself miserable waiting for Chanyeol and they hadn't even told her about the honeymoon yet.

"Sweetheart, let's do something fun. Waiting for daddy is no fun."

She turned away from the window and pouted. "He's taking too long."

"It's only noon, Mi-Mi. Come on." Baekhyun walked, actually it was more of a pregnancy waddle, over to his daughter. He grabbed her hand and was able to pry her from the window. 

"Can we call daddy?" She asked with shiny eyes.

Baekhyun sighed. Chanyeol was extremely busy and Baekhyun didn't want to interrupt whatever he had going on but he figured it was the only way to get Mina to calm down. Keeping a gentle grip on Mina's hand, he dialed Chanyeol's number. It rang and rang and he prayed he would answer. 

"Hello?" Chanyeol wondered after picking up on the second to last ring. 

"Mina wants to talk to you." He said and immediately handed the phone over to her. Baekhyun stood by and waited, only hearing one side of the conversation. 

"Are you coming home soon?" Mina wondered and listened to her father's response. 

"It's not the same." Mina pouted in response to something unbeknownst to Baekhyun. When the phone call was over, Mina didn't seem any happier than before it started. 

Baekhyun decided to take his phone into the kitchen for privacy. 

"I think we should cancel our honeymoon. There's no way we can leave when she's like this."

"We've already told Luhan, Sung-Woo, and Minseok we're going. And you've already been cleared to travel by your doctor. We can't back out now."

"But Mina-"

"Will be fine. I think both of us could use a break. We can't let her persuade us to stay here. We have to do some things for ourselves."

Baekhyun sighed and allowed himself a quick peek outside of the kitchen's entrance. Mina was back to staring out the window with a sad look on her face.

"We should tell her tonight." Baekhyun said quietly. 

"I agree. And no matter what she says, we have to stand our ground. I can't live with her hanging onto me all day every day."

Baekhyun allowed himself a small smile at the idea of Chanyeol's determination for them to go on their honeymoon although it still made him upset to see Mina upset and not know how to make her feel better. 

It had been almost a month since her extreme attachment to Chanyeol started and it wasn't getting any better. Quite the opposite actually. 

"You're right. We should set boundaries. It's starting to get out of hand."

Mina would no longer sleep in her own room. She wouldn't let Chanyeol out of her sight, even going so far as to wait for him outside of the bathroom when he wouldn't let her in. It was ridiculous. 

"We'll talk more when I get home. Okay?"

"Okay. Love you, bye."

They hung up then and Baekhyun walked back into the living room. He quietly observed Mina. Her eyes were full of sadness as she waited for Chanyeol. 

She wasn't the little vivacious, vibrant spitfire she had once been. Chanyeol was neither the happy virus he had once been. Things were changing.

And Baekhyun knew whatever Mina was experiencing wasn't an attachment phase. It ran much deeper than a mere phase. The problem was, he didn't realize how deep.

**

The pregnant 24 year old stood over a pot of warm noodles as he added tomato sauce and meatballs. It seemed fitting to make Mina's favorite food for dinner. He and Chanyeol had big news to tell her.

"Will you set the table for me, baby?" Baekhyun asked his moping daughter. Baekhyun knew for a fact she wouldn't smile until Chanyeol walked through the door.

During the day, he'd practically forced her to go to the community swimming pool. Anything to prevent her from staring out the window. Unlike the other kids who laughed and splashed around, she simply touched the water and sighed. For such a young girl, it seemed like she had a lot on her mind.

Regardless of her mood, she willingly set the table as asked. She had just put the last plate down when an opening door could be heard.

Like a light switch being , her face suddenly lit up. She was her old self again. She would be fine for the rest of the night until Chanyeol left for work the next morning. 

"Daddy!" She exclaimed and ran over to him. Chanyeol had hardly taken a step inside before he was hugged by her. 

He picked her up to give her a kiss on the cheek. She wrapped her arms around him tightly and wouldn't let go even as he tried to put her down. Chanyeol just gave up and hoisted her on his hip. He went over to greet Baekhyun, placing a lingering kiss on his husband's awaiting lips.

When they pulled away, he placed a gentle hand on Baekhyun's belly.

"You doing okay in there, buddy?" He wondered and received a kick in response. That was good enough for him.

"How was work?" Baekhyun asked as he put the finishing touches on dinner. 

"It was good." Chanyeol replied honestly as he pried off Mina's arms from around his neck and placed her in a kitchen chair.

He sat next to her, graciously accepting the dinner that Baekhyun prepared. 

Sitting down with his family to eat, Baekhyun locked eyes with Chanyeol. He was silently asking his husband when the moment would be right to bring up the honeymoon. Chanyeol didn't exactly know himself but decided to take a chance when they were halfway done with dinner. 

"Mina?" He asked.

"Hm?" She wondered after slurping up a noodle.

"Remember how Uncle Luhan and Minseok are going on their honeymoon soon?"

She nodded, having no idea where the conversation was headed. 

"Well, mommy and I did a lot of thinking and decided we wanted a honeymoon too."

All Mina could really associate the honeymoon with was traveling. And the idea of traveling was exciting. Her eyes lit up and she looked back and forth between her parents. 

"Where are we going?" She wondered excitedly. 

Baekhyun shook his head. "There's a problem, sweetie. You're not going anywhere. You're staying here. Daddy and I are going."

Just like that, her face fell. "Why?" She asked in horror. 

"Well, we just want to spend some alone time together. That's what a honeymoon's all about."

Chanyeol and Baekhyun would kill for some alone time. They hadn't gotten much of it since they got married and they wouldn't be getting any once the baby was born.

"I'm coming too." She stated bluntly, poking out her bottom lip in a pout.

Baekhyun shook his head again. "No, you're not. I'm sorry, baby."

Mina looked to Chanyeol for backup, hoping he would take her side. She felt betrayed when he didn't. 

"Mommy's right. You can't come with us. You're staying here with Ryder and grandpa."

It was Mina's turn to shake her head. "No! You can't leave me."

"Mina, it's only for a week." Baekhyun reasoned. Granted, it would be the longest she had gone without both her parents at the same time but they had already made their decision. 

She put her fork down and crossed her arms stubbornly. "I'm staying with you and daddy."

Chanyeol sighed and massaged his temples,  growing increasingly frustrated. "Mina, you're not coming with us. Your behavior has been a little off and maybe a small period of separation is what we all need."

Her eyes filled with tears of sadness and frustration. "You can't make me stay here."

Baekhyun sighed as he watched his husband and daughter interact. 

"We're your parents and we certainly don't appreciate you telling us what we can and can't do." Chanyeol said sternly. 

Her tears spilled over and ran down her cheeks. Seeing her cry was heartbreaking but making her cry was even worse. Before either of her parents could say anything more, she stormed away from the table. Presumably to run to her room.

"Mina!" Chanyeol called after her. He stood up to follow her but Baekhyun held him back.

"She's not supposed to storm out until she's a teenager." Baekhyun said in an awful attempt to lighten the mood. Chanyeol wasn't amused.

"I just don't understand. What's wrong with her? What have we done to make her so upset?" He said and sank back into his chair.

"We need to be asking her those questions." Baekhyun responded, rubbing his belly absentmindedly. 

"We'll get no response." Chanyeol murmured before letting a frustrated swear word escape his mouth. The worst thing in the world for a parent was to feel powerless and unable to help their only child.

"I'll do the dishes. Go check on Mina to make sure she's okay. But don't push her to speak." Baekhyun murmured. 

Chanyeol tiredly ran a hand through his hair before getting up once more. After taking calming breaths, he made his way to his daughter's room. He gripped the doorknob and opened the door slowly. The sight of Mina curled up underneath her blankets and sobbing was revealed to him. 

"Mina." Chanyeol spoke up and only got sobbing in response. "Mina, baby. Will you tell me what's wrong, please?"

He got a different response that time. Mina appeared from underneath the covers and looked at her father. 

"Leave me alone." She sniffed. What had ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter