The Cat's Out Of The Bag

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun and Kang-Joon made their way back to the apartment. After Kang-Joon's little stunt earlier, Baekhyun decided Kang-Joon needed to find a significant other. Anyone to divert his attention from Baekhyun.

After everything he'd been through, he deserved to find his soulmate.

"Have you ever dated before? Besides me, I mean."

Kang-Joon shook his head. "No. I wouldn't even know how to ask anyone out. I met you at that party by chance and you took care of everything else."

Baekhyun smiled a mysterious smile that made Kang-Joon slightly uneasy. 

"I'm gonna find you someone amazing."

Kang-Joon blinked in surprise. "Like you're gonna set me up?"

"Yep. It that all of my friends are paired up though. But don't worry. I'll find you someone special." Baekhyun stated confidently. Kang-Joon wasn't so confident. He wondered who would even want to date him.

Seemingly as if he read his mind, Baekhyun said, "You lack confidence. And you need to learn to get out of your comfort zone. You're really attractive but really awkward. We need to work on that."

"I don't know, Baekhyun. That's not necessary. You don't have to do all that."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "I know I don't have to but we need to make you more desirable so you can date. You have friends, Kang-Joon, but I know you're still lonely. It runs much deeper than friendship. I just want you to be happy in every way possible. I'm not letting you leave until you are."

The sides of Kang-Joon's mouth twitched up in a smile. "Okay. What do I have to do?"

"Let's start with your personality. We need to get you out of your shell. Why don't we start with you not feeling so out of place and awkward around Chanyeol?"

Kang-Joon looked straight ahead, the apartment building in his line of sight. "You want me to act perfectly normal around your husband after I kissed you?"

"Yes. We can just forget that even happened. I know you and Chanyeol aren't the best of friends but it's only because Chanyeol has a hard time holding a conversation with you. Step out of your comfort zone and talk to him."

"About what?"

"The weather, sports. I don't care. Just hold a casual conversation with someone you're not entirely comfortable around. I promise it'll come in handy when you start going on dates with different people."

Kang-Joon sighed. No doubt Baekhyun was going to make him do things he didn't want to do. It was all to make him come out of his shell apparently. 

But underneath Kang-Joon's resistance, he was grateful that he had something else to focus on instead of his broken family. It was all apart of the healing process. 

The 22 year old followed the 24 year old as they entered the building and went up to the correct floor. Baekhyun unlocked the door to their apartment, hoping Chanyeol was still awake. 

Chanyeol was indeed awake to the pleasant surprise of Baekhyun. He was in the living room watching the late news. There was just something with lawyers/soon to be lawyers and obsessively keeping up with the news.

He muted the television when he heard them enter. He stood up and hugged Baekhyun in greeting. Kang-Joon stood by awkwardly. He had always been awkward and wasn't sure if anything would change that.

"How was the movie?" He asked both of them.

"Totally predictable and not scary. Kang-Joon can tell you all about it while I go take a shower." Baekhyun winked at Kang-Joon before disappearing down the hall.

Kang-Joon cursed under his breath. He and Chanyeol were left alone and the younger didn't know what to say.

"Did you want to go to sleep soon?" Chanyeol asked and gestured towards the couch where he had just been sitting. 

"Oh, n-no. It's okay." Kang-Joon responded and lightly rocked on his heels. How was he supposed to date anybody if he could barely be alone with someone he shared nothing in common with?

"Alright then." Chanyeol murmured and sat back on the couch, unmuting the television. 

Kang-Joon still stood, wondering how to start and hold a successful conversation. How did Baekhyun and Chanyeol get to be so outgoing? Even Mina had a more interesting personality than him.

Wondering why Kang-Joon was still standing, Chanyeol looked up at him and cocked his head to the side. "Is there something you need?"

"No." Kang-Joon said and sat down in the armchair. 

Chanyeol went back to watching tv. Kang-Joon played with his hands before attempting to speak again. "Thanks again for letting me stay here."

"No problem. Your home just isn't a good place for you right now."

"Yeah." Kang-Joon replied and trailed off. He stared at the ground. What did Baekhyun tell him to talk about?

"Um, so, the weather's nice. Isn't it?"

Chanyeol glanced at Kang-Joon who chuckled nervously. He was wondering why they were talking about the weather at midnight. 

"The weather's good. I guess. It's August after all." Chanyeol replied. August meant he only had two more years of year-round school before he could become a lawyer. 

Kang-Joon nodded as both of them fell silent. He had yet to start a successful conversation. 

"What's your favorite color?"

Chanyeol laughed then. "Are you trying to be friends with me or something?"

Kang-Joon groaned. "It's Baekhyun's idea. He wants to find me a soulmate or whatever but he says I need to learn to come out of my shell before I go on dates. He said I should learn to keep a casual conversation with someone I'm not entirely comfortable with."

"Ah." Chanyeol nodded as it all made sense. "Why does he want to find you a soulmate all of a sudden?"

Kang-Joon hesitated. Baekhyun wanted to find a soulmate for him because he realized, after Kang-Joon had kissed him, he was lonely based on his lack of a romantic relationship. He wasn't about to tell Chanyeol that.

"No reason." He shrugged and decided he failed at keeping any conversation with Chanyeol. 

Both of them just stayed quiet and watched the news for a while. A news story about a Bostonian man winning the lottery was on. Chanyeol shook his head. 

"I can't really believe things like that just randomly happen to people. If I go out right now and buy a lottery ticket, I'm not gonna win." Chanyeol said.

"You don't believe in coincidences or just luck?" Kang-Joon wondered. 

"I don't believe in lucky coincidences. I believe in working hard. Baekhyun and I didn't get to where we are because of luck alone."

Kang-Joon nodded. "Maybe not but you are lucky."

Chanyeol smiled and pondered the word lucky. He was lucky in some respects. He had a beautiful husband, beautiful daughter, and beautiful unborn child. But he wasn't as lucky as Kang-Joon thought. Chanyeol had secrets of his own. Secrets he was too afraid to tell Baekhyun. 

"Lucky enough to win the lottery?"

Kang-Joon laughed. "Who knows? At least you have a decent job. You're lucky in that sense."

"And I worked hard to get it." Chanyeol stated. Kang-Joon didn't question his hard work. He knew all about him and Baekhyun getting kicked out of their homes with no money and a baby on the way. He knew their lives weren't perfect. But luck had to have played a small part in getting them past the worst points in their lives

Before Kang-Joon had time to dwell on the fact that he and Chanyeol were having a real casual conversation, Baekhyun entered the room, hair slightly damp.

"The shower's free." Baekhyun stated. He looked at Kang-Joon expectantly, wondering if he and Chanyeol bonded in any way.

Kang-Joon only smiled in response. 

"Kang-Joon, you're the guest. You can go first." Chanyeol offered and Kang-Joon nodded.

Grabbing a pair of pajamas to change into, Kang-Joon disappeared into the bedroom where Baekhyun had reappeared. 

It was a bit strange to be in their bedroom. He didn't want to snoop through their things but he couldn't help noticing a shiny Dreadnought style acoustic guitar in the corner of the room.

Kang-Joon had an interest in guitars himself and wondered who played. It couldn't have been Baekhyun since he knew Baekhyun well. It had to have been Chanyeol. He would ask later, he decided.

He made his way to their bathroom to take a shower. 

Kang-Joon sighed as the hot water hit his face. He most definitely did his best to not imagine Chanyeol and Baekhyun in that very shower doing, well, each other. He didn't want to think about the kind of passion and love they shared on a regular basis. 

He was exhausted, as it was past midnight, and as he finished his shower and dressed, a headache was beginning to form.

He reentered the living room to find Baekhyun was nearly asleep with his head in Chanyeol's lap. Kang-Joon didn't want to interrupt the two of them but he had to ask, "Do you play the guitar?"

Chanyeol looked at Kang-Joon, not having heard him enter. He absentmindedly played with a strand of Baekhyun's hair before responding. "I did in high school. I don't think I've actually picked my guitar up in years. I've gotten pretty busy."

Kang-Joon nodded. "I used to play a lot too. I wasn't really that good."

Chanyeol chuckled. "Baekhyun always told me I was amazing. But when you become a parent and all, you just don't have time to do something as simple as playing your guitar. I thought about selling it but it was a present from my dad. I couldn't bring myself to."

"Life gets in the way. I understand. But maybe you should play again. It couldn't hurt." Kang-Joon shrugged and sat in the chair across from the couch. 

Chanyeol nodded just as Baekhyun stirred. 

"Carry me to bed?" He mumbled, still half asleep. 

Both Kang-Joon and Chanyeol laughed simultaneously. Nevertheless, the taller man easily lifted Baekhyun into his arms, bridal style.

"Goodnight Kang-Joon." He said as he began to leave the room.

"Wait." Kang-Joon said and Chanyeol paused.

"Could I have some Tylenol?"

"Sure. The medicine is in the kitchen cabinet right above the sink."

Kang-Joon thanked him and was soon left alone. The 22 year old made his way into the kitchen and opened the correct cabinet. 

It took him a second to find the Tylenol because he found himself more interested in what else was in the cabinet. Headache temporarily forgotten, he reached in and retrieved a white bottle full of small pills.

"Prenatal vitamins?" He wondered. "Is Baekhyun-?" He trailed off and put the vitamins back. He would worry about it later. The most important thing was getting some sleep.

Kang-Joon popped a Tylenol into his mouth and made his way over to the couch. He laid out on it, spreading a blanket over his body and closing his eyes.

It was his first night away from his family since he'd lost his mother. 

**

The next morning, Baekhyun woke up to the light sounds of strumming and humming. He opened his eyes and blinked. Chanyeol held his guitar in his hands and sat on their window seat, looking out the window. 

Baekhyun sat up in surprise. He hadn't heard Chanyeol play the guitar in years.

"You haven't played in a long time." Baekhyun said. Chanyeol paused and shrugged. 

"Kang-Joon suggested I should start again. I'm sorry if I woke you up by the way."

Baekhyun shook his head and climbed out of bed. "I think it was the gigantic urge to pee that woke me up."

Chanyeol chuckled as Ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter