The Perks of Being A Parent

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Baekhyun walked out of the bathroom, he didn't expect to find his mother still sitting at their kitchen table.

"You're still here?" Baekhyun wondered curiously. It was a rhetorical question but she nodded anyway.

Before speaking, she swallowed audibly. "So, are you pregnant?"

"According to the tests, I am."

She let out a weary breath and brushed imaginary lint off her pants, avoiding Baekhyun's gaze. "I don't feel comfortable staying here with you being pregnant. Would you book me a hotel, please? And if you don't mind, I still want your help."

Baekhyun crossed his arms. "Me being pregnant shouldn't make you uncomfortable. You've had 5 years to get used to the fact that I sleep with another man."

Mrs. Byun looked up at her son. Her eyes were filled with disappointment, nothing unexpected. Baekhyun figured he had disappointed his parents a lot.

"I would appreciate it if you booked me a hotel. I'm not comfortable with the idea of you being pregnant." She persisted.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but agreed to book her a hotel. She hadn't even lasted one night with her own son. She was disappointed in him and she was disgusted by him. Because he had seen those emotions towards him before, it didn't faze him when she left his apartment, unable to make herself stay with him any longer. 

After Mrs. Byun left, Jongdae offered to stay with Baekhyun for the rest of the day but Baekhyun politely declined. When Jongdae was gone, Baekhyun went to talk to Mina. 

She had been quiet in her room for a while and he was worried. But his worry transformed into relief when he found her asleep with her thumb in . 

He picked up her empty breakfast plate to take to the kitchen, careful not to wake her. Once she woke up, he would explain his pregnancy to her and hope that she would keep it a secret.

Baekhyun spent the rest of the day doing household chores to keep his mind focused on something. When his mother called to ask for directions somewhere, he had half a mind to tell her to piss off and figure it out herself but he didn't. He gave her the directions as needed and she at least thanked him before hanging up.

When Chanyeol called right before Baekhyun went to bed, the older conveniently left out exactly what had happened with his mother. He simply said it didn't work out and she was staying in a hotel.

He left out the reason why she left because he wanted to tell Chanyeol the good news face to face.

The next morning, around 5, Baekhyun awoke to a loud noise and Chanyeol's muttered swear word. The younger was obviously trying to be quiet and failing miserably.

Baekhyun yawned and sat up in bed, happy to see his husband. 

"Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you." Chanyeol apologized as he put his bags down. Baekhyun flashed a big smile in response, ready to blurt out his exciting news.

Chanyeol's face slowly broke into a smile too. Baekhyun's smile was contagious. The younger went to sit on the edge of the bed, kissing Baekhyun in a proper greeting. 

"What are you so excited about?" Chanyeol teased and Baekhyun chuckled. 

He took Chanyeol's large hand to place on his still flat belly. "In 9 months you'll be a 2nd time daddy."

Chanyeol's jaw dropped before he pulled Baekhyun into his arms. He hugged the older tightly. "We're going to be parents again, huh?"

"Yep. I still want to get a test from the doctor's but all the home tests said I was pregnant." Baekhyun responded.

Chanyeol nodded thoughtfully as he pulled away. "Is that why it didn't work out with your mom?"

Baekhyun's happy mood slowly faded to match Chanyeol's serious one. "Yeah. She found out I was pregnant and said it made her uncomfortable."

Chanyeol placed a reassuring hand on Baekhyun's lower back. "We've survived this long without our parents. It doesn't matter what your mom thinks."

Baekhyun nodded and forced himself to let go of any negative emotions. He was pregnant, finally. It was a time for celebration. 

When Mina woke up, they told her the good news. Thankfully, she was getting better as each day went by and would be back to normal in no time. But she was having trouble with the idea of Baekhyun being pregnant if the way she stared at his belly were any indication. 

"What's wrong?" Baekhyun chuckled as she touched his stomach.

She looked up at her mother curiously. "How can there be a baby in there? It's too small."

It was Chanyeol's turn to chuckle and Baekhyun took it upon himself to playfully smack his husband. No doubt Chanyeol was imagining how much Baekhyun would eat in the upcoming months and how much weight he would gain.

"The baby will grow and I'll grow too." He finally answered. 

"As big as Uncle Minseok was?" She questioned. 

Baekhyun nodded. "Yes."

Mina nodded and focused on Baekhyun's belly again. It was fascinating now that she knew there was a baby in there.

"Mi-Mi, how does it feel? You'll be a big sister soon." Chanyeol asked after a while.

She shrugged, focusing her attention on her father. "I don't know." She answered honestly. Ryder was the only baby she'd been around her entire life. Even then, she had only seen him a couple times for a few minutes. 

And because of that, Baekhyun had a great idea that he immediately voiced. "When Mina's feeling better, maybe we can babysit Ryder. I'm sure Luhan and Minseok would appreciate the break."

Chanyeol hummed in agreeance. "Then Mina can see what it'll be like to have a baby sibling and we can get some more practice in. It has been a while since we've watched a baby."

Baekhyun turned to address his daughter."How does that sound, honey?"

Mina smiled excitedly and nodded.

It was settled then. All three of them would babysit Ryder in preparation for their new family member once they got the plans in order. After all the details were worked out, they found themselves outside of Minseok and Luhan's door on a Saturday. 

Minseok opened the door and almost cried in relief when he saw them. As much as he loved Ryder and being a parent, he and Luhan hadn't had a day off or a full night's sleep in weeks.

Minseok looked different, of course, no longer pregnant but still carrying some of the baby weight. And Luhan looked different too. He was like a walking zombie, severely sleep deprived, and Baekhyun almost winced. He remembered his and Chanyeol's first months with Mina and how they ended up looking exactly like Luhan and Minseok currently did.

"Thank god you're here." Luhan gasped when he saw his friends.

Chanyeol laughed in response. "You're free for the day. Go out and do whatever you want."

Neither one of them hesitated to put on their shoes and grab their jackets. 

"What made you guys offer to babysit today?" Minseok asked after putting on his jacket. 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared a look. "We just thought you needed a break." The former spoke.

Jongdae was the only one of their friends who knew about Baekhyun's pregnancy. It was an accident that he knew since Baekhyun didn't want to tell any of his friends until he started showing. He felt it would be bad luck if he told early and didn't want to jinx his pregnancy. 

And they just had to hope Mina kept the secret well and didn't blurt it out to any of her uncles. Baekhyun was working very hard to keep it a secret since Joonmyun and Yixing didn't even know yet and they worked at the clinic where he confirmed his pregnancy the previous day.

Minseok shrugged, not really caring why. He was just grateful for the break seeing as his own father didn't offer to babysit Ryder. 

When Sung-Woo came to visit, he kissed Minseok on the head, glared at Luhan, and said that Ryder was their responsibility and he wouldn't babysit unless absolutely necessary. They still had to learn to be parents through trial and error even though they had his full support.

Luhan, all too eager to leave, pushed Minseok towards the door. "Ryder's in his crib sleeping. Try not to wake him or you'll regret it." He called over his shoulder and then they were gone, leaving the small family alone.

Once they were gone, Mina attempted to make a mad dash to Ryder's room but Chanyeol grabbed her arm and held her back.

"He's sleeping, sweetie."

"But I wanna play with him!" She pouted. 

"You can play with us until he wakes up. I'm sure Uncle Luhan and Minseok have some games around here."

Mina crossed her arms but accepted h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter