Friends?

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun handed Mina's overnight bag to Chanyeol and then handed Mina herself over to him. The taller man held Mina in his arms and her bag on his shoulder.

"She's all yours for the weekend." Baekhyun stated.

Chanyeol nodded. "When will you pick her up?"

"Around 6 on Sunday." Baekhyun responded. 

Mina held on to her father and watched her parents' awkward exchange. She knew just as well as anyone else that they both still loved each other. For reasons unbeknownst to her, they just weren't in a relationship.

From Chanyeol's point of view, he knew Baekhyun was happy with Kang-Joon. He also knew that Kang-Joon could take care of Baekhyun just as well as he could (if not better). He wasn't particularly happy about them living together after only a few months of dating but he accepted it. It was what Baekhyun wanted after all.

At the moment, he would just explain to anyone who asked that his and Baekhyun's relationship was complicated.

"Sounds good. Say goodbye to mommy, Mina."

"Bye, mommy." Mina waved. Baekhyun kissed her, telling her to be good for Chanyeol, before leaving the apartment. 

"It's just you and me. Uncle Yifan won't be back until tomorrow. What do you want to do?" Chanyeol asked as he set Mina on the ground.

"Play hide and seek!" She exclaimed. Chanyeol smiled. His and Yifan's apartment was a nice size and there were plenty of places to hide. 

"Hide and seek it is. Let me put your stuff away first." Chanyeol went into his bedroom where Mina slept whenever she came over. He placed her things on his bed and turned around to find her standing in the doorway suddenly looking upset. 

"What's wrong?" He questioned and crouched down to her.

"Kangie moved in with mommy." She pouted. 

Chanyeol kissed her forehead. "I know." If it had to do with or would affect Mina in some way, Baekhyun and Chanyeol told each other everything. 

"But he took your side of the bed." She whined. 

Chanyeol smiled sadly. "I live here, Mina. This is my home now. Kang-Joon and mommy can do whatever they want in their home."

To change the subject, before Mina could say anything else, he asked, "Have you eaten yet?"

"Mhm." She nodded and told him about dinner with Baekhyun and Kang-Joon. Chanyeol would be lying if he said he wasn't jealous of the amount of time Kang-Joon spent with Mina.

Sadly, it couldn't have been helped. Chanyeol's work hours were from 12-6 and he went to class from 8-10am. By the time he got home he was usually tired and had more work to do. He didn't think he would've had the energy or time to entertain Mina by himself. That was just the way it was and Chanyeol had gotten used to it. Of course, Mina hadn't. 

"Mommy wants to visit Kangie's parents for Christmas." She spoke up. Never one to beat around the bush, she told her parents everything. 

"Oh?" Chanyeol wondered, slightly hurt at imagining not spending Christmas with Baekhyun after 16 years.

"Yeah but mommy wants you to come too."

Chanyeol brightened. At least Baekhyun was thinking of him. But he didn't know if he was looking forward to a vacation with Kang-Joon. They just hadn't made a connection in any way, shape, or form. Chanyeol didn't expect the trip to change that fact. God forbid the trip made anything worse.

"What else did you do today?" Chanyeol questioned as he made his way into the kitchen, Mina on his heels.

"Saw Uncle Minseok." She replied and smiled happily when Chanyeol handed her a juice box from the fridge. He grabbed a bottle of water for himself and they sat in the breakfast nook.

"That sounds like fun." Chanyeol stated as he took a long sip of his water.

"I asked mommy how his baby got in his belly but mommy said to ask you instead." Mina spoke up innocently. 

Chanyeol choked for a second on his water. He would have to thank Baekhyun later, sarcastically of course. 

Mina looked up with big innocent eyes at Chanyeol. Whereas, he looked out the window of the nook, not meeting her gaze. He and Yifan were on the 9th floor of the apartment building and had a great view of campus. It was quite beautiful. 

However, Mina was waiting for an answer and he didn't know what to say. Wasn't the baby talk something he and Baekhyun should have done together? 

"Um."

Mina looked at Chanyeol expectantly.

"Well, Luhan and Minseok love each other. As a result of that love, Minseok got pregnant." The 23 year old explained and prayed that Mina wouldn't ask too many more questions. 

"Love makes a baby?" She wondered. 

For the most part. "Yes." Chanyeol stated. 

"Why don't you and mommy have a baby?"

"You're our baby."

"But another baby."

"Sweetie, we're not together. We're not having another baby."

"But you said that love makes a baby and you and mommy love each other." She protested. Chanyeol sighed. She would never let it go, how much she wanted her parents back together. 

"It's complicated, too complicated for you to understand." An understatement.

Mina huffed, causing her short bangs to lift up slightly and fall from the force of air. It was frustrating. She was doing her best to try to get them back together but it wasn't working. 

"Are you ready to play hide and seek now?"

Mina nodded. Her frustrations temporarily forgotten when Chanyeol covered his eyes and began counting. 

"Daddy, no peeking!" She squealed when Chanyeol attempted to watch her through the space between his fingers. He smiled and began to play fairly. 

Hearing her laughter was all he needed to keep a smile on his face. Baekhyun and Mina's happiness were his first priorities. Their happiness would always be his priority.

As much as Mina wanted him to and as much as he wanted to, he couldn't pursue Baekhyun. The older man was far too happy with Kang-Joon. Although Chanyeol would deny it, it really did hurt to see them together. It would always hurt to see Baekhyun laugh with and kiss someone who wasn't him but he thought he had moved on. He wanted Mina to do the same.

After two rounds of hide and seek, Chanyeol found himself getting Mina ready for bed. During bath time, she was already planning out their next day together. Because she saw Chanyeol less than Baekhyun, she treasured it more.

"Can we see a movie?" She wondered. 

Chanyeol smiled as he washed her up in the tub. "Of course we can." He was ecstatic to be at a point where he and Baekhyun could both take her to do fun things without stressing over money. It had taken 4 years but it was worth it.

"Can mommy come?" She just didn't quit.

"I thought this was just daddy and Mina time." Chanyeol spoke up.

"Can it be mommy, daddy, and Mina time?" She wondered hopefully. It would be like old times, she thought. Since the breakup, the three of them hadn't spent any time together. She was either with one parent or the other. 

"Mommy may be busy." Chanyeol supplied. He admired her persistence. She didn't give up so easily. 

"Can I ask him?" Mina continued and how could Chanyeol possibly say no?

"Only if you agree to go to bed on time and not beg to stay up late."

Mina pretended to think but, ultimately, she agreed. When bath time was over, Chanyeol helped her out of the tub and dried her off. He then helped her into her pajamas and was able to get her to bed on time.

As promised, she didn't ask to stay up late or stall as usual. Chanyeol could see she really wanted Baekhyun to join them on their day out.

The tall 23 year old took out his phone and dialed Baekhyun's number. The older picked up on the 3rd ring.

"Is Mina alright?" Was the first thing he asked. All they ever talked about was her. 

"She's fine and wants to talk to you." Chanyeol handed the phone over to Mina who sat up in bed excitedly. 

"What's up, Mi-Mi?" Baekhyun wondered, curious as to what she had to say. 

"Can you come to the movies with me and daddy tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow? Sweetheart, you know I spend alone time with Kang-Joon over the weekend and you spend alone time with your daddy."

"Please, mommy." Mina pleaded. She would be devastated if Baekhyun said no.

He could hear the desperation in her voice. Not wanting to upset her, he said, "Okay, just for tomorrow."

"Yay!" She exclaimed happily. Per Baekhyun's request, she handed the phone back to her father. 

"We'll meet around noon at the theater." She heard Chanyeol say to Baekhyun before they said their goodbyes and hung up.

Chanyeol then went over to say goodnight to her, leaving a kiss on her forehead. 

"You always seem to get what you want, don't you?" He teased and she giggled. With another quick kiss and an, I love you, he turned off the lights and closed the door.

Mina smiled to herself once he left. Her mission to get her parents back together was only beginning. She was tired of being in the middle of their separation.

Outside of her bedroom, having no idea what plans were going through his daughter's head, Chanyeol was getting ready for bed himself. That consisted of taking a quick shower and changing into shorts and a t-shirt before making up his temporary bed that typically served as the couch. 

Whenever Mina came over, she took his room and he slept on the couch. He didn't mind taking the couch for her, just like he never minded when he was young and would sleep on Baekhyun's couch at his house because the older felt uncomfortable with them sleeping in the same bedroom. He would always do whatever was best for the both of them. Or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter