Who is the Hero Here?

The Well of Emerald Waters

Xiumin couldn’t move. No spell held him in place, and yet as if he was held still by the horror in Luhan’s gaze, he did not move. Part of it was the after rush of adrenaline. Seeing the maleficar they’d all thought was dead spring suddenly back to life, issuing the energy barrage that immobilized the warriors, and the ice blast that would surely have ended the templar’s life, Xiumin had reacted without thought. His chest heaved, relief mixed with the sudden dread that had overcome him when he thought the templar would die right in front of his eyes.

His feet were frozen in place, even as Luhan dragged himself to his feet and began limping over to him, clutching his chest and coughing still, sword arm dangling to the ground.  He’d dropped his shield, Xiumin saw, and he was probably nowhere fit to dispel anything Xiumin threw at him. He could easily stun Luhan and make his escape into the forests. He could do it, was planning on doing it, then, now, now, right now... before he lost the chance.

The staff in his palm fell away easily when Luhan grabbed it and tossed it behind him. Xiumin gasped for air when he realized what had happened, what he’d let happen.

“You…” Luhan snarled at him. “You… what… that mage… did you use on him…??”

Was it a trick question, Xiumin wondered carelessly. “I…” his voice trailed off.

“That as a very powerful spell, Xiumin, that you used to kill that mage!”

“You… you would have died…” For Xiumin it was very simple, but then again he had just revealed one of his strongest forms of magic. Some mages kill with fire and ice, or with other elemental powers. Frost powers, Xiumin was actually very good at, and so he knew to reverse it. Spirit magic though, the ones mages employed for fear and terror, he knew some humans viewed that as tantamount to blood magic. It was just one shade lighter in a templar’s books.

How must it look to stand before a person and see that person crushed by his very own essences, from the inside out…

“You would have died…” Xiumin croaked out again when Luhan clutched at his arm and he fell forward like a rag doll, the templar dragging him back towards the others. He fell to the ground when Luhan dropped him, feet from the warriors who were all observing him with interest.

“Who let him go?” Luhan demanded. He looked at everyone, but his eyes landed most suspiciously on Sehun. The boy sunk back in fright. “Did you? Did you cut him free?” He was evidently looking at the dagger still in Sehun’s hands.

“I… I…” he gasped.

“I made him do it,” Xiumin whispered into the dirt.

“What?! How?” cried Luhan.

Sehun stood up a little straighter, boldly replying, “He… he said he could help… You… you were being overrun.”

“We had it under control!”

Jongin took a step towards the templar. “Luhan, maybe you should calm down. He didn’t hurt any of us after all.”

“Yeah, and he did save your life,” said Jongdae. He made to step forward to assist the mage but Luhan screamed at him.

“Back off! Nobody touches him. He’s dangerous, just as I’ve said before.”

Xiumin sank into the dirt, one ear up, but he didn’t look at anybody when he suggested softly, “Dangerous as a sword that slices a man’s neck, or arrows that pierce the heart? What makes me more dangerous than any of you…?”

He should have run away, Xiumin knew that now. No one ever understood magic or mages, no matter where he’d been or where he’d traveled. Armies had swept across nations, darkspawn had overrun the ground, and yet one lone mage with a staff in his hand could cause even the most stalwart of warriors to scream for their mothers in fear. Who was Xiumin to inspire such terror? Hardly the strongest enchanter to ever walk in Thedas. No Tevinter magister to break open the Veil and invade the realm of the old gods. He was just a single mage, scared of the world, and of imprisonment, and so he kept constantly on the move, out of contact with everyone he’d ever known, his brothers and sisters, and every friend he’d ever made.

“I think we should leave them to each other for a minute,” he heard Baekhyun suggesting from out of eye range.

“Yes,” Chanyeol agreed.

“Get the horses, and let’s get this party ready to move,” Jongin said staunchly. “And Jongdae, if you’re not going to stab us in the back, or front, or side, or just… anywhere, why don’t you help?”

“Sure thing!” quipped the assassin. “Hey, if I don’t use a dagger, can I kill you someway else?”

“No,” warned Jongin lazily. “Why don’t you start by assisting the dwarf? He looks like he can barely walk.”

There was a whimper from Suho, and more laughter from the assassin, and the sounds of footsteps walking away. Xiumin closed his eyes and sighed to himself. He lay curled up in his robes, knees almost drawn to his chest, as he waited for Luhan’s verdict. If this was how it was always going to be, maybe he should just let himself be taken away. Perhaps life in the Circle Tower wasn’t as bad as he’d always heard. Maybe if he was surrounded by other mages he might be able to live and not always be so alone? 

Or not. Sometimes alone was better. He heard Luhan move forward, held his eyes shut when the templar knelt down. Would he kill him now and just be done with it? Or bind him again and take him away?

“Tell me what spells you used during the battle,” said the templar gently, and Xiumin opened his eyes in surprise.

“What? You saw what I did already.”

“No, before that. Did you… how did you acquire a staff and… why did the bandits retreat?”

Oh that. So Luhan figured that part out too. “I edged around the battle,” he admitted softly, “until I found a downed mage…”

“Yes,” Luhan urged him on. He felt the templar place a cold palm to his temples.

“And then I cast Fear on the rest of them so they would retreat… and they did… and then…”

“And then…”

“Then I was planning on running away,” Xiumin admitted with another shallow sigh.

The templar was silent. In the distance a horse was braying, Jongin yelling instructions for keeping her still. Jongdae could be heard nagging Suho to stand up, and Baekhyun was singing carelessly. And still Luhan’s fingers were the bangs on Xiumin’s forehead. They were soft, light, delicate, and even that much felt amazing, to have someone pretend to care about him, even if he knew it wasn’t going to last.

“Alright,” said Luhan finally.

“Alright, what?” asked Xiumin carefully, widening his eyes.

“Alright, I forgive you. And I’m sorry. But I still have to take you with me, okay?”

Xiumin had never heard of templars apologizing before, not for something it was their Maker-driven duty to do.

“Fine…” Xiumin exhaled, as if he had a choice in the matter. Truthfully, he kind of did. He could still overpower Luhan given the chance, and run away. The leather bindings weren’t actually that hard to undo if he put some work into them. Perhaps he’d keep going for a while, and then slip away later before they reached the Circle Tower.

“I’m not going to tie you up this time,” said Luhan then, and Xiumin was stunned. “But you’re definitely not going to drift out of my sight, and you will not carry a weapon, is that clear?”

After he’d helped Xiumin up and ushered him back to the party, and after they made camp later that night in the under hang of an old cave, Xiumin was still in shock. True to his word, Luhan had not tied him up, but he did keep him close and was always looking at him, perhaps waiting for Xiumin to try something. Daring him to try anything. Before they slept Luhan pulled out a wood-bound case carrying several small potions bottle, and a sealed box containing lyrium powders. He may have let Xiumin partially off the hook, but he was dosing himself up in case he needed to call upon his templar abilities. The battle earlier had definitely weakened the man. Xiumin watched covertly as the templar mixed some of the dust into the empty bottle, added the liquids from the second one, and Luhan grimaced when he drained the contents of the bottle down his throat in one fast gulp. His head shook, and his body convulsed for several seconds and he squirmed uncomfortably while the drug took effect.

Xiumin didn’t try anything that night. Not with the templar right beside him, one hand touching his shoulder, fingers wrapping across his bare skin as if to make sure the mage wasn’t going to run away. He wasn't... Not this night, anyways.

 

 

 

 

 

At the end of the next day they came upon Lothering, or what was left of the village that had once been a self-sustaining community on the crossroads of three highways. The town was dingy, buildings burnt down from the darkspawn invasion and still not rebuilt even three years later. They camped there on the edge of town since there was no where for visitors to stay that actually had a roof overhead. The remaining villagers were already looking at them warily, as if they might ask to eat from their depleted food stocks. 

“We'll leave at first light. Best not to linger long,” said Jongin after they’d staked out their bed spots in the dirt beside a grove of sickly looking trees. 

“No kidding,” Baekhyun commented. “This town is on the verge of death. Barely a fraction of its old population, almost no women or children. They say nothing even grows here anymore. The Blight and the darkspawn corrupted the land, poisoned even the soil.”

Sehun shivered before the fire, blanket up firmly around his shoulders. Luhan listened to them politely, and Xiumin stared at no one in particular. Jongdae was already on his back with his hands behind his head settling in for the night.

“I wandered about earlier,” Baekhyun was continuing, “And the people just gave me dirty looks…”

“Why were you wandering the village?” Jongin questioned him immediately.

“Because… I was scouting? You know like how I do…?” Baekhyun looked at him puzzled.

“But... you're an elf.”

Baekhyun blinked at him. “I… was aware of that actually?” 

“Humans don’t like elves, especially in these parts. You should be wary and avoid them as much as possible.” Jongin spoke like it was common knowledge, which it partially was, however, his manner of warning came as a shock. He wasn’t really even looking at the elf directly, and yet Jongin had never especially concerned himself with Baekhyun’s safety. 

“I’ll… heed your words. But you know, Jongin…” the elf paused dramatically. “Humans without armor are a whole lot less scary than bandits and wolves… I think I can handle a few jeers. Won’t be the first time I was called knife-ears. And anyways, that’s why I practice with Chanyeol!” 

“What? Hey!” cried the taller warrior with the almost elf-like ears.

Jongin frowned and looked away and then he added a log to their fire so it would keep them warm for a little while longer. Suho shifted closer to the fire, ostensibly to warm his hands although anytime he could find an excuse to put some distance between himself and the assassin, he did so, Luhan noticed with amusement. Since Jongdae's big reveal, he hadn't done one particularly scary thing, and yet everyone remained wary of him, the dwarf more so than most. He wondered how Suho had come to join the Carta, or if he'd just somehow stumbled into it. Casteless dwarves were so often left without options in this world, once they stuck their heads outside of Orzammar, saw the sky, and became immediate outcasts. 

Or perhaps he’d just been born to the casteless. He wouldn’t talk much to confirm Luhan’s suspicions either way. Too frightened to do more than squeak half the time, or to ask for food, or to beg for someone to keep Alistair away. The dog was practically the same size as him, if not bigger.

“I’ll take first watch,” Luhan volunteered once everyone’s eyes were beginning to droop. Beside him the mabari was already snoozing, although he knew Alistair would wake up in a heartbeat if anything were to come around. Whether or not he would kill it was a different matter. Xiumin laid down and turned his back to him. Luhan didn’t miss how this was becoming the mage’s version of a cold shoulder. 

“I’ll stay up with you,” said Jongin. 

“I’ll thank you, then,” Luhan responded with a tip of his head. 

“Well, should I stay up too?” asked Baekhyun, but Jongin shook his head. 

“There’s no need. Rest, since I think the next few days will be long.”

“I heard the roads west of here are loaded with bandits,” said the elf. He seemed to consider all the spots around the fireplace and decided the empty space next to Jongin looked the most comfortable. He threw his blanket down beside him and stretched out.

“They are,” said the warrior.

“How did you manage to travel before?” Luhan asked him. “When you came from West Hills to Denerim?” 

Jongin shrugged. “The West Road, like most travelers. But I hitched onto a troop of soldiers from the Arl of Redcliffe. Nobody bothered much with a band that well-armed, though a few did try.”

This put Jongin’s decision to travel lesser known roads on the way back with Sehun into further question. Why the secrecy, and why — as Xiumin had suggested — hadn’t they just hired more soldiers? Mercenaries were easily bought in these times, and yet they’d made a daring decision to take the out-of-the-way path. 

“I see,” said Luhan. He didn’t really, but then it really wasn’t any of his business.

Instead of sleeping, Baekhyun had pulled out a small bound journal from his canvas bag and was reading it a few pages at a time in the joint fire and moonlight. Every few seconds he chuckled or smirked or scoffed or huffed and finally Jongin had to ask him what he was doing.

“It's a journal!” said the elf.

“Yours? Is your life that fascinating? You should be sleeping,” the warrior responded. Luhan watched them and laughed to himself.

“Of course it's not mine. You think go around leaving all my deepest, darkest secrets around for just anyone to find and pick up?”

Jongin sighed. “Where'd you find it?”

“In the village.”

“You stole somebody's journal? And read it?” Jongin looked scandalized.

“For the love of little fish! Jongin, I didn't steal it from anyone actually alive!” He puttered to himself for a moment, flipped through a few more pages. “I found it in a burned out shack. In a chest. That was locked. And anyways, this person's probably dead. Look, at the last entry.” He waved the pages in front of Jongin's face as the warrior strove not to peek. “They were here as a refugee in the final days of the evacuation, before the darkspawn swarmed the town. Probably died here. Or abandoned the place and left their diary. How sad...”

“What's sad, that they're most likely dead or that they left their diary for someone like you to find and read?”

Baekhyun considered him for a moment. “Wow, Jongin. Is that sarcasm? Coming from you?” Jongin snorted, unbothered by the accusation. “I think I'm a little bit impressed. And in any case, what's sad is how fanciful this 'journal' is. Hah, it's probably not even real. I bet they made it all up. Look, it says here they even met the Hero of Ferelden before she got famous. I bet loads of people say that now!” 

He turned a few pages as Jongin pretended not to pay attention to Baekhyun's recitation by some second-hand source, even if the person claimed to have met the grey warden hero who ended the Fifth Blight.

“And oohh, look they claim she was a dwarven archer. What a load of pigeon crap. Everyone knows she was an elven warrior.”

“I heard she was a human mage,” said Jongin.

“What? No way.” Baekhyun wouldn't believe it.

“And I heard, the hero was actually a man.” Luhan couldn't help but insert another theory. There were so many of them after all. He met Jongin's eyes in the half-light and they smiled at each other, both ignoring Baekhyun's impassioned denials of everything. 

“Whatever. I'm going to sleep,” the elf moaned. “Stupid journals. Why do people even write such things? I bet I could write better journals. I'll make up my own stories. Leave them beside dead bodies for people to find later. See how they like that!

He turned over under his blanket and huffed. “I'm sure it won't matter very much anyways,” said Jongin softly.

As the night settled on and everyone fell asleep except for the two shield warriors, Luhan actually felt kind of at peace. Xiumin had snuggled backwards a bit since he and the templar shared a blanket and the ground was kind of cold. Luhan sat with his back against a tree, so Xiumin’s head lay near his hip. Suho was passed out on his back, snoring. Jongdae might have been awake, but then one couldn’t tell with the assassin. Chanyeol slept like a zombie. 

“You know,” said the other warrior, as the hour approached when they would awaken the next shift. “Your company to Redcliffe wouldn’t be unwanted, if you mind taking a slight detour.”

Luhan scoffed lightly. “You mean you want my sword arm?”

“I do,” said Jongin honestly. “You and the mage would also be safer sticking with us for a ways.”

Luhan thought about it. On the western edge of the village stood the crossroads. East took them to Denerim, due west to Redcliffe. The third, slighter north-western route would eventually circle the eastern edge of Lake Calenhad, and the Circle Tower lay north from there. Then again, if they went to Redcliffe first, it wouldn’t be that far of a jog to later get back onto their correct destination. 

“We probably should,” he agreed finally. 

Jongin grinned, happy for once. “To Redcliffe, then.”

“To Redcliffe.”

 

 

 

They woke Chanyeol for second watch, accidentally woke Sehun too. The boy was finding it hard to sleep at night anyways. He twitched beneath his bedroll, fidgeted endlessly, and his eyes flickered open at every sound from the forest beyond. He should have been dreaming about bandits or lawless men from the village nearby. Instead he kept fearing the it from the forest. The thing that had been following them. Every night thoughts of it plagued him until he wasn’t sure what was a nightmare and what was reality. 

“Something the matter?” Chanyeol finally inquired. He nudged Sehun with his long leg, stuck out from his blanket as he lazily surveyed their surroundings.

“No,” said Sehun, tired. “Ground’s uncomfortable, that’s all.” He sat up. 

“Want another blanket?”

“No,” he replied petulantly. “I think I’ll just go and take a leak.” 

“Don’t go far,” said Chanyeol.

“Right. Right. Like I’ll go wandering off in the middle of the night.” He drowned out the rest of Chanyeol’s complaints and offers to go with him. He was twenty years old and definitely didn’t need someone to hold his hand while he took a wee. Even if Chanyeol practically insisted upon it sometimes. 

The forest was dark, but true to his word he didn’t venture far. Sehun wasn’t that much of an idiot. He went just far enough to give himself some privacy, which was hard to come by these days. 

A wolf howled in the distance, and Sehun wasted no more time. He finished his business, tied up his drawstrings, and turned around. Nearby, and a lot more closer, another wolf howled. Sehun nearly tripped over a root in the ground, panicked but held himself up. At the third howl though he tripped over his own feet and landed in a brush of dead leaves and muck. 

The fourth howl, which was even closer, ended abruptly, even as Sehun scrambled to his feet. It was almost like someone had silenced it, the howl ending in a painful yip, and then silence... He raced back to the campfire, bewildered how he’d persuaded himself to go even this far from it. Chanyeol was right of course. He had no business even walking past the tree line, and yet he had and here he was, nearly eaten by wolves in the night. Something told him his mother wouldn't be pleased to receive that particular letter. 

At least it hadn’t come any closer though, the wolf. At least something had killed… Sehun crawled into his bedroll and immediately covered his head with the blanket. Something

 


3,528 words

 

I sense Xiuhan feels this chapter. What about you guys?

Anyways, this week is a perfect example of why I'm writing ahead and posting on schedule. My hands swelled over the week and I've been doing very little in the way of writing. It , because they hurt and tingle and spasm, and I can't spend much time on the computer. I proofed this chapter for you though. :)

Note: The Hero of Ferelden is the playable character hero/ine from Dragon Age Origins. And yes, he/she can be a whole number of races or classes, depending on what you choose. We all remember the hero differently. ;)

No new characters this time, but the plot's in full force, and also: just what happened to that wolf at the end of the chapter, huh? :D

 

Please let me know how you like the story so far. Comments kind of make my day. :)))

 

♡ Rosie

 

P.S. Visit me on TwitterTumblr, or my Exo-Tumblr I share with a fellow awesome writer. :)