Prelude to an Expedition

The Well of Emerald Waters

"I want to see him. Where is he?"

Baekhyun's lips twitched watching Jongin shove his way past the small ring of dwarves blocking the entrance to the room. Inside they were told Sehun was waiting.

They'd made a long circuitous route out of the Diamond Quarter, through the Commons and down in Dust Town, traveling in small bunches and resting in different places to attract less attention. Jongin, Baekhyun and Tao were in the first group. He didn't know how the others were arriving, but it was certainly good to stretch his legs after being tucked into a merchant's cart the whole way down. 

"Kyungsoo..." Baekhyun murmured, noting the small man they'd missed for a over a day and a half. In the present company, both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun loomed like giants among the dwarves. "So Minseok was right... you didn't run off after all. You do realize Sehun is worth quite half his weight in gold, don't you?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and smirked. "Believe me, I know what he's worth. The gold doesn't excite me. Too burdensome to carry around and with my condition well... you wouldn't envision me happily settling down somewhere in a nice little village, would you?"

"Handsome lad like you, you'd scare all the men away." 

Tao eyed Kyungsoo wearily when he lead the way for the two to enter. Sehun was scowling, his body currently undergoing an inspection with Jongin determined to know that he was absolutely fine, not hurt in any way. The boy whined and held his arms tightly across his chest, fighting Jongin's prying touch. "I'm fine. You can... Baekhyun, save me!"

Baekhyun laughed. "Enough, Jongin. Alistair looks positively ready to you to death in defense of the kid. He's alive, that's all that matters."

"Is it just you?" Sehun looked around for more.

"They're coming," said Jongin hopefully.

"I... I don't remember much of what happened, but Kyungsoo said you were arrested?"

"We were prize, captive guests of the most hospitable little lordling ever," Baekhyun clarified. He suddenly gazed at a woman standing in the shadow of Sehun's elbow and preened with sudden interest. 

"Uhhh, this is..." said Sehun. "She's..."

The woman stepped forward uncertainly, but Sehun let her say the rest. 

"I'm Yoona... I'm... but where is my brother? Is he alright?" 

"Suho's your brother?" Jongin asked softly.

"Yes."

"I see the resemblance now, I'm sorry he's not with us, but he should..." Jongin looked behind him towards the dwarves who had escorted them down. They belonged to Sungjoo's men, part of House Kondrat, and Baekhyun suddenly realized that Yoona would know these men. She would have lived a privileged life among their household, as did Suho, or Junmyeon, had before. 

It was clear the the two disguised soldiers had no idea how to react in front of her. They were young, capable, but not so well spoken or trained for situations like this. Yoona approached them gracefully. The youngest fidgeted and was about to bow. "No, please. You don't have to. I'm not a lady anymore." 

The young man stood up firmly and looked at his fellow. 

"I remember your name," Yoona continued. "It's Jungkook, isn't it. And then you're... Jin? Did you see my brother? Is he coming soon? Is he in good health?"

The two soldiers fidgeted even more, and one of them repeated cautiously, "H-He.... he..."

"He's a she, right now." Baekhyun put the dwarves quickly out of their misery. 

"She!?" 

"Yep, that's right. We... had some issues with the-"

"Baekhyun, not now." It was Kyungsoo who gently warned him to stop, and totally unfair was that. Baekhyun was ready to go into swift detail about Suho's apparent gender change and how beautiful he looked in his wig. It occurred to him though that parts of Dust Town were said to be under the authority of the Carta, its casteless members at the general mercy of the illegal organization most people in Orzammar turned a blind eye to. 

"Kyungsoo," Jongin was already leading the conversation elsewhere. "Tell me what's been going on."

 

 

 

Within a few hours, they were all reassembled. The first group was obviously restless, Jongin more than eager to make their final escape and not at all happy to have to trust the plan Kyungsoo had created. He seemed vaguely reassured about it now, however, Luhan decided. They had spent the entire day pouring over hastily drawn maps and arguing. 

"You don't know this tunnel isn't blocked!"

"And I am reasonably sure it isn't, and if we get there and find it is, we can navigate around it-"

"How? How exactly do we do that! The dwarves themselves don't even venture so deep and now you want to-"

It was inconceivable that they were going to make their escape via the Deep Roads. Luhan sat up shakily upon a stone bench and listened to their plans with one ear only. With the other ear he kept track of the whisperings of Minseok and Yixing in corner, their heads bowed close, voices low. It should have scared him more. Two mages conniving secretly. Luhan was a templar, and even if he was still recovering, his strength upon being given a dosage of lyrium was on the mend. He was trained, and competent, and before he met Minseok, he had that desire to control. But not now. It was a curious thought, Luhan almost not caring whatever mischief two apostate mages might be up to. Because his trusted them? Perhaps. Because he trusted them to help lead the group out of Orzammar and through the Deep Roads? Yes, definitely. For all the swords and shields they had, the presence of two mages was extremely beneficial. Especially when Luhan knew for certain that another mage... a possibly more dangerous mage... was on their tail. 

"You're sure of Kyungsoo?" Yixing was asking.

Minseok nodded affirmatively. "Yes. In this, I am."

In this, he was. But what would happen later? What happened when they were above ground, assuming they made it that far? What would happen to Jongin and Sehun, and Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Before they got involved with the others they had had their own agenda. Now it was hampered by the men chasing Sehun, and the Carta, thanks to Suho. And now especially, by Xiumin. 

No wonder Jongin was always on edge, and Chanyeol always grumpy. Or why Baekhyun, when he wasn't being professionally cheery, mistrusted everything. Their lives had been a whole lot simpler back before Minseok and Luhan joined their party. So many plots, so many threads weaving them together, like a dance of fate sculpted by a higher entity. Was it coincidence, or destiny? Was it even worth asking the question? What would happen when it was all over? Would Minseok disappear or Luhan resign and follow him. Could he even live that way, and would he be allowed. 

He shook his head and glanced towards the third corner where Suho stood hugging his sister, tears in both their eyes. This short reunion was cruel, would be crueler later when they were parted again. He knew Suho wanted her to come with them, to have Yoona throw her fate in with the party's lot. Looking around, Luhan couldn't believe someone would even hesitate to leave this place. Dust Town was as far from the sparkling Diamond Quarter above as it was possible to be. It was hot, filthy, common, and she dressed in rags compared to even the dresses of the middle folk above. And yet, she wouldn't leave. The Surface, to Yoona, was as scary to her as a life outside the Templars had once been to Luhan. Not that the metaphor existed now. Now, he might compare it to being away from Minseok's side. It hurt, thinking of that... 

And so, they would leave just as they had come, together, twelve strange fellows stealing down into the earth, praying to every entity known to the living that there was a fork of the Deep Roads that would lead them out.

"The dwarves won't go with us any farther than here," said Baekhyun to Jongdae, as they examined one of the maps. Chanyeol hovered around him, and Minseok and Yixing came to join in. "Beyond that, they know of nothing besides cave-ins and lost thaigs and possible Darkspawn hives, joy to Andraste! Doesn't that sound fun!"

"Darkspawn?" asked Tao with wobbling voice.

"If we're lucky we can avoid them," Baekhyun maintained, but he didn't sound confident.

"How?" asked Jongdae. "We simply call ahead past every turn, ask if there are Darkspawn ahead, and if they reply, we don't go that way?"

Kyungsoo snorted. He wasn't even looking at the map now, but he'd strolled away from Jongin and stood apart with his arms crossed over his chest. "Well, yes, we could of course do that. An extremely smooth tactic of engaging your enemies."

They laughed of course, everyone except Jongin, who stepped forward with a frown on his face. 

"Kyungsoo has suggested that he, actually, is somewhat able to detect when Darkspawn may be near." 

Chanyeol gasped. "What? Like a Grey Warden? You can sense their blood taint?"

"Something like that." 

Baekhyun made a soft ah-ha sound and looked mildly puzzled. Without looking back, he struck an arm behind his body and managed to find Sehun. He pulled the boy close and whispered loudly into his ear, not minding that everyone could hear. Indeed, he wanted them to. "Darkspawn-ish, isn't that the word you would use? Come on Sehun, you know him the best." Baekhyun winked. Sehun barely flinched but didn't reply.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "I can sense them, that's all you need to know. Unless you'd like to try your chances marching back through the gates of Orzammar. Keep in mind, I have nothing against any of you. In fact, I am reasonably assured that I have gone beyond my capacity to help you, for no untoward reason. So you can also say that I have brought on my own, not a single ounce of trouble on any of you... unlike a certain dwarf, or Sehun's cousins, or someone's dear brother here..." He eyed Minseok warily, but with a smirk on his face. 

That didn't rule out a further, secret motive, Luhan mused. But Kyungsoo was right. Because of their association with Suho, Minseok and the nature of Sehun's supposedly secret travel plans, they were in more danger against those three forces combined than from Kyungsoo himself.

"I daresay we can re-judge how to proceed on our own again.... later," said Jongin, looking partially defeated. "Let's fight our way out of Orzammar and the Deep Roots first, do we agree?"

And on this, they did.

Once they got out - if they got out, Luhan reminded himself - they would likely separate. Together they were the link connecting too many strands of chaos. Hard decisions, they would decide those later. 

"How are you for travel?" Minseok suddenly asked Luhan. He prodded his arm and spoke softly, as if still worried about Luhan's condition.

"Good to go." He smiled. He was armed now, weapons and armor and several bottles of potion wrapped snugly in a pouch on his back. Enough lyrium to last him a long time, and then one more besides, still hidden among his robes and armor... 

"Good." For a second, with Minseok blocking the view, he stepped in front of Luhan and traced his fingers along either side of Luhan's face. The pads of his fingers caught in the fine stubble of his jaw. Luhan could happily close his eyes and pretend they weren't about to leave. Wouldn't it have been nice if they could stay here a few more days, rest properly, spend some time pretending the world wasn't literally falling apart. 

Instead, he leaned against the mage's touch and forced his eyes upwards, searching deep within the other's gaze. He saw nothing but warm interest, and love, the same two eyes he'd fallen in love with so many weeks ago. Minseok smiled, and Luhan began to relax. 

But then he saw it. A flash, a sparkle, an image that was both inside Minseok's mind and clouding Luhan's own. A stream, a temple, fountains; and in Luhan's head he heard it like echoes upon echoes of bubbling waters surrounded by the haze of thick fog and green, almost too green, emerald green fronds and leaves. 

He blinked back, and the image broke. Minseok didn't appear any different, and merely continued smiling until he stood up and took his hands away. Luhan looked around, wondering if anyone else had suddenly out like he just had... But nothing seemed wrong. Kris was sharpening his weapons, Yixing was instructing Tao how to carry their supplies, Baekhyun was laughing, and Suho was still hugging his sister who was now crying even louder. Chanyeol bobbled up and down impatiently on his heels, Jongin spoke softly with the last few dwarves from House Kondrat who would them part of the way. Alistair chewed on a nug bone while drooling all over Sehun's shoe. 

But Luhan felt sick, just for a moment. Perhaps he was not as well as he insisted. He waited another minute and let it all pass, and when he didn't feel like vomiting, he caught Kyungsoo's eyes. 

They looked normal, glassy, dark and hollow, but they produced nearly the same reaction, only instead of seeing things, this time Luhan heard something else...

Come to my child... I will embrace you...

From the pit of his stomach, another wave of unease spilled forth. His head riveted like he'd been shocked, eyes twitching, body falling forward. Luhan doubled over and vomited everything up. Every bit of food he'd swallowed over the last hour, until his throat ached and burned like acid and his body was on fire. 

"Luhan? Luhan! Are you alright?" Somebody was asking. He continued to wretch.

"Side effects of the lyrium, still, probably." Minseok's voice, worried and confused.

Come to my child... This is the well of all souls...

"Give him a bit, I think it will pass," said Yixing. There were several figures perched down beside him now, each with a comforting arm around his waist and somebody held a cloth to his mouth and a cup to water. He spit out the last remaining bile and pushed down another wave of nausea, sure that the sensation was mostly past. 

For here lies the abyss.... from these emerald waters doth life begin anew...

Kris heaved him back onto his legs and sat him down. Someone else fanned his face. Every emotion from concern to mild annoyance looked back at him from the assembled, ready to move party.

"I'm... good. Sorry, I'm good. We can... go soon..." Luhan dry-heaved. It would not be his fault if they couldn't leave on time. And he would not let himself get left behind, strange sensations or not. 

"Luhan, are you sure?" asked Minseok, his eyebrows furrowed. 

"Yes... Yes, I'm fine. I promise. Just a... minor spell, I think I'm okay now..."

He did not look at Kyungsoo again. He stared at Jongdae instead, and for a second he thought it curious how intently Jongdae was staring - not at Suho, like he often did - but at Sehun. 

What was that thing they had talked about before? Luhan tried to remember, but with his head all fuzzy it was coming to him in pieces. Jongdae the assassin, and a master spy who together had helped Luhan take charge of his fate on the return promise of... a favor. Luhan shivered, and wondered not for the first time, what exactly Jongdae wanted and when he would ask for it. 

But, too much, it was all too much to think about. 

"I'm ready, I'm fine, I promise," he told Minseok, not sure what he was promising, or if he could even keep it.

Come to me my child... In my arms lies eternity...

 

 

 

 

 

"Yoona, you are sure? You're positive you don't want to come with us?" Suho begged for the tenth time.

His sister, however, only wiped her eyes and shook her head. "No, brother. This is your journey now, and it goes on. Mine has found its resting place. I would not want to see the sky... It... it frightens me to even think about something so vast. But you, you are so brave. You will do our mother proud, I know."

Suho blushed, even though he was sad. "We are casteless, and our mother has died. There is no pride in that. The ancestors would-"

"The ancestors will not judge. And nor would our father if he could see you now. I don't know these people very well, but they seem honest, and you are happy. Your place is with them, I can tell. However that works out, you will be well." 

He knew she was looking over his shoulder towards the assassin who had greeted her earlier with much cheerful familiarity. Was that a false hope Suho had? That his place could actually be beside a character such as him? All mystery and charm, and a streak of something darker, more violent? How did one go about judging these things anyways? Was there a path for every creature born on and under Thedas that could be so easily divined? No Paragon of Orzammar surely could attest to such a thing. Maybe he would ask Jongdae about his gods, if Jongdae had any he prayed to at night. Was there even a patron deity to assassins and the dwarves who followed them? Suho did not even have dreams at night. How could he imagine dreaming then about a life beyond himself, even in his conscious state?

"This is goodbye, then."

"Yes," said Yoona, a fresh wave of tears spilling from her eyes. "Goodbye, brother."

Suho shouldered his share of the supplies and stood tall. As tall as it was possible for a dwarf of his size. He was dressed as a man again, finally. He would stomach his pride and not cry again for his sister or for the life they had lost. Jongdae left Sehun's side and approached them as well. 

"A pleasure, once again, to meet you, my lady." He bowed artfully before Yoona, including a flourishing twirl of his wrist, and Yoona hiccuped a laugh. 

"Thank you for watching over my brother," she said. 

Jongdae just winked, wrapped an arm around his Suho's shoulder, and turned them around. 

A small entourage of dwarves stood ready to lead them away through a secret passageway that opened into the Deep Roads, the friends Kyungsoo had made since entering Orzammar. Jackson stood chief among them, and he smiled solidly at Suho when he approached, as if they were comrades in arms instead of mere strangers. He and the others would go before them into the tunnels. Additionally, six of Sungjoo's men would follow in their rear in case of ambush. Eventually, they would all turn back and let the twelve go on alone. But until then...

"It's a true expedition!" cried Baekhyun with sudden excitement. "Wow, I've been everywhere on this great continent before, but never into the Deep Roads! Men, elves, dwarves and magic whatevers, are you ready!?!"

It didn't seem to irk Baekhyun that he got only grunts in reply. But then, they were off. 

 

 

 

 

I think he sensed something.

Minseok did not look over at Kyungsoo, did not in fact react at all because that might have been noticeable.

Who? You're probably mistaken though.

I'm not. He looked at you, then he looked at me. Then he vomited. 

A coincidence, Minseok insisted. He couldn't possibly sense anything. Not even Sehun does and he has the other-

You're a fool if you think Luhan is a fool as well. He has enough magic pumped into his veins. And you and he are... close. He knows something, I'm sure of it.

Then we will pretend he doesn't, and if he ever asks... deny it.

You will keep this secret from him too then? Even with all that is at stake?

Yes. To protect him.

From who. You? Your brother? Me?

Yes. From all of us. If that is all I can do for him in this life then, so be it.

You do him a disservice then.

Maybe... 

But he loves you.

I know.

And you love him.

Yes. 

And?

And what? You should not be focused on me right me. 

Then what should I be focused on. The darkspawn? My tainted brethren?

Yes. Steer us out of Deep Roads, then we will continue this discussion. Later.

Later, later, all anyone of you ever thinks about is later...

Hush, Kyungsoo. I do not want to hear your voice probing my mind again until we are out of here. I was grateful before that we could only keep this up short-range.

Didn't you miss me in your head though?

No.

Fine then. And anyways, the ore in these veins is harsh. It makes my head hurt, dampens some of my senses, and this connection. 

Then focus.

I will.... Minseok, I will. No need to get squabbly with me. 

And don't tempt or say anything to Luhan.

I won't! But... what if....

If I have to tell him something, then I'll be the one to do it. Understand?

Can I take it that's a threat then?

You can. Absolutely. Now shut up. Please.

 


3,475 words

 

Hurrah! An Expedition, an expedition underway!!! Man though... I hate the Deep Roads. Let's see if we can play this part- I mean write this part- a little quicker next time. ;)

Uhm, so how is everyone doing keeping up with the convoluted plot?? Good? No? Any questions? Also- yep Xiusoo have a short-range telepathic connection. Surprise!

 

 

♡ Rosie

LiveJournal | Twitter | Tumblr | Exo Tumblr