Xiumin

The Well of Emerald Waters

Sehun rubbed his head, hissing for perhaps the tenth time when he found the growing lump. Kyungsoo said it was from where he fell during the battle and hit his head, but in fact, Sehun knew quite well that the 'rock' he had struck was more likely Kyungsoo's fist.

"Quit fidgeting," the man whispered now, gloved hand nudging Sehun along in the back.

When he'd come to, the smaller man was hovering over him, urging him to get up. Then they and Alistair met up with a dwarf named Jackson who had a cart hitched to a donkey. In between scowling over his bruised head and fending off the mabari hound's , Kyungsoo explained quickly that their friends had been taken inside at sword-point.

"But why?" Sehun had asked. Kyungsoo had no answer.

They were now inside great Orzammar itself. Sehun was sweating profusely, rivulets of moisture literally cascading down his back, front, everything, from the robes Kyungsoo had made him wear. He now dressed oddly like Kyungsoo and, because of how they were sitting in the back of the cart, about the same height. Alistair they'd covered in a blanket so no one would see.

"I still don't understand. So we're sneaking in here, why?" Sehun grumbled, his eyes dancing around, taking in everything that could be seen. Circumstances or not, the thaig was fascinating. Sehun had never seen so many dwarves before. Many years before his tutors gave lectures on the dwarven kingdom. It seemed so otherworldly in books, in pictures. His main question then had been if they dwarves ever suffered from claustrophobia. Now he just wondered how they all managed not to melt.

"Donkey!" cried Jackson from up front. The dwarf walked beside the animal, leading it through the crowds. "Donkey, coming through. Make way! Donkey!"

"As if they can't see it's a donkey," Sehun muttered.

Kyungsoo shushed him with just a look. Then the man sighed and said, "Let's try to keep a low profile, alright? It would be nice if we didn't make a big impression down here. Everyone would have already seen the others paraded through. Let's not tip off the people who did that, okay?"

"But won't they notice we're not dwarves?"

"Doesn't matter. There are lots of surfacers down here. Merchants come and go all the time. Just keep that hood over your face. And the mask, put the mask back on."

Sehun readjusted the mouthpiece with a grimace. It was just a thin strip of gray cloth that covered his nose and mouth. Kyungsoo explained that lots of dwarves used them while mining to keep out the dust. And apparently, they were headed in some such vicinity.

"I don't like this thing," said Sehun.

He expected Kyungsoo to grumble at him some more, but instead the man smirked humorously. "You'll be thankful for it later when no one here can remember your face."

"You think I'm that noticeable?" Sehun asked.

"Quite striking." Kyungsoo winked.

Jackson halted the cart several minutes later in front of a modest stone archway. "We're here. Come on out."

Kyungsoo and Sehun jumped down and followed him through the door. Another dwarf who introduced himself as Mark took the donkey and lead it away. He didn't even appear troubled when Jackson looked around suspiciously, and then let out the hound. Alistair kept silent and he trotted quickly inside behind them. Sehun, however, had eyes only for the interior of the shop, as he realized now it was. Swords and armor of the finest dwarven craftsmanship were arrayed out in displays all throughout the room. The shopkeeper himself greeted them as they came in, but then sighed when he saw Jackson following.

"Ev'ning, Jackson. More tourists, eh? Go on through. Your granddad's waiting there."

Tourists. That was the other word Sehun did not understand, but Kyungsoo had explained it only briefly, outside the mountains.

"We're touring the Deep Roads, see? It's our cover. It's also highly illegal."

"So why are we doing it then?" Sehun had asked.

"Because I paid Jackson and his grandmother a lot of gold to smuggle us into Orzammar."

"You're smuggling us in, when we could have walked?"

"Do you have papers proclaiming you're part of the merchants' guild?" Kyungsoo asked, and Sehun shook his head. "There's something suspicious going on here. Something that has to do with Minseok's brother, and I need to find out what. We need to find out," he reemphasized.

He looked just a bit mad, this stranger Sehun thought he knew, and sometimes thought he didn't know at all. "Why are you so eager to help? You could just leave, you know?"

"What, and leave you to fend for yourself, Sehun?" Kyungsoo tutted even as he smiled, and something in his eyes sent shivers through Sehun's spine. He didn't know if they were good shivers though, or bad.

 
 
 
 
 

Sneaking around the estate of House Zygmunt was surprisingly easy, when you were invisible, Minseok thought. Baekhyun of course, had to boast about this out loud.

“Pretty nifty, yeah?”

“Shush,” the mage warned him.

They were invisible, but still audible. They were also still solid, as Minseok learned when Baekhyun quickly pulled him into a niche in the stone while a few servants passed through.

Minseok wrenched himself away from the elf’s hold as soon as they were gone.

“Tell me again why you invited me out with you?” he asked. “I thought you hated my guts and wanted me dead?”

Baekhyun chuckled low. “Maybe I still do. Maybe I don’t. Oh, but don’t let your guard down on my account. Either way I don’t entirely trust you, but my mama always said, keep your friends close, and your enemies-”

“I get the picture, thanks,” Minseok sighed.

They fell silent again as they turned a corner, spying two household soldiers guarding either end of a large austere door.

“Lord Yibo?” Baekhyun whispered.

Minseok didn’t answer, but it became clear as they neared.

The door was opened by a servant, Seungyeon running from the room looking harassed and grumpy. She muttered to herself and the guards laughed discretely, but when she turned around and glared, they each shut up.

“Little lordling is impatient,” she grumbled. “Little lordling wants his meal. How am I supposed to get anything done when he won’t even listen to reason!?”

Baekhyun and Minseok held still as she passed, now muttering even more about hoping the guests were rested enough so that they could get on with the evening.

“Seems like this is our chance?” Baekhyun whispered.

Minseok nodded and together, they stalked towards the door, waiting for some to appear from either side and open the door. They waited barely a minute before Seungyeon returned bearing a tray with a single metal cup and some morsels, and this time they slipped in behind her before the door could shut.

Lord Yibo indeed.

Minseok filtered through memories, placing the face on the young dwarf sitting on the dais ahead. He couldn’t possibly be older than fifteen years of age. He had a thin face, especially for a dwarf, dark black hair that fell in waves across his head, bored eyes and a bored smile.

Minseok recognized the dwarf he was speaking with, Wenhan of the household guard.

“My lord, if you would just explain what we are waiting for, I could-”

“Silence, please,” said Yibo with a sigh. He placed a hand to his forehead and rubbed his temples, displeased with something. He didn’t look at Wenhan as he spoke. “When the mage tells me, only then shall we act.”

“The mage… but he is with the others?”

“Wenhan, what did I say?” Another tired grumble. “I just want to eat something. Don’t you have something to, I don’t know, guard?”

In the corner of the room, unseen by anyone else, Baekhyun and Minseok shared a look, and no more.

So Wenhan didn’t know who Xiumin was, or that Minseok wasn’t him. It was as Minseok expected, but it did not answer any of his questions. It seemed only Lord Yibo knew, which made him wonder what would happen when he met Minseok. Would he be surprised, or was it all part of his plan, and what was that plan? To detain Minseok only? Or did Xiumin have perhaps a more sinister plot? If this was the case, why was he coming at them sideways, using a dwarf lord who shouldn’t even have been the heir.

Yibo had an older brother, this Minseok remembered distinctly. Yixuan, of House Zygmunt. And Yixuan should have inherited the seat Lord Yibo was even now sitting upon.

Minseok checked the door. Time was not their friend. Even if Xiumin were not part of this picture, threatening his life and the life of all of his friends, even if Luhan was not weak and ill, even if Minseok really wished they could stay and observe for longer, Baekhyun’s power was not unlimited. They had maybe ten minutes before the elf would grow weak, and their bodies became visible. They needed to make their escape and still have time to scope out the rest of the dwelling place.

The elf nudged him, silently agreeing to the same thing. Together they crept from the corner and tiptoed towards the door.

That was when Lord Yibo spoke again.

“The templar… he makes this whole thing very complicated.”

Minseok spun around silently. The dwarf addressed Seungyeon, still standing beside him with her tray.

“Yes, my Lord?” she responded dutifully.

“He needs lyrium, you said?”

She nodded. “Yes, my Lord. I sent the request to the merchant an hour ago.”

Lord Yibo tiredly waved away her words and sighed again, long and troubled. For a dwarf so young, he carried a world of stress. It marred his otherwise attractive features, giving him a petulant look.

After a few long seconds, he spoke again. “And has it come in?”

“Due to arrive shortly. Should I… give it to him?”

For the first time, Yibo lifted his resting head off his head and stared at her. “Are you insinuating we let a templar die in our house?”

“O-of course not, my Lord. I only thought… you said it was unfortunate he was here with the mage, and…”

Yibo waved his hand distractedly. “It is. It is quite unfortunate, but we’ll have to figure that out later.”

We, my Lord?”

“No, not you, of course not you. Do you think you could figure all this out? Idiot dust breather. Of course we’ll give it to him, but… not yet. Not right now. We’ll wait a while first. If the templar is immobile, they’ll be less likely to leave.”

Minseok held his breath, fear and anger coursing through his heart.

The servant appeared even more confused.

“So, we don’t give it to him, my Lord?”

“Perhaps tomorrow. Perhaps now. We shall have to see... Now take this tray away and leave me, please. I’m tired.”

Despite his anger, Minseok knew this might be their only chance to move. They had to get out. He had to find a way to intercept the delivery, to snag the potion before Lord Yibo and his people could deprive Luhan of it longer. Baekhyun was already moving, one step ahead of him as they prepared to follow Seungyeon through the door. But just as she reached it, Lord Yibo stopped her again.

“And see to it that none of our guests leave their rooms until dinner! Won't do to let them wander too much. Wenhan, you go with her.”

The soldier bowed in acquiescence. Again, Minseok and Baekhyun darted out of his path. Only this time, Baekhyun knocked accidentally against a side table. A bejeweled golden cup wobbled dangerously for a long, breathless second… and then tipped off the table, crashing onto the floor.

All eyes in the room struck to where they stood, invisible, but alone.

“Wenhan…” Lord Yibo’s voice carried across the chamber. “I hate to sound so suspicious, but… might it be possible we are not alone in this room?”

 

 

 

 

If Luhan had any power in the world, right now he would wish he could disappear. Preferably to vanish into thin air like Baekhyun but then wake up back in his cozy bed in the Circle Tower in Redcliffe. Even better if he could reverse a whole chunk of his life and go back to the time before joining the templar ranks.

Everything was simpler then, in the country of his people, his family. Sure, there was the danger of someone challenging his valor and having to duel for the honor of a family which treated Luhan like an extra appendage, but at least he learned to fight.

Most of the time, being a templar wasn’t so bad. An order of men, sworn to the Chantry, protectors of the faith and of the helpless, defenders against the evils of magic. He had nothing to doubt before. Orders were orders and his purpose was clear. It was a hard life Luhan didn’t think he was necessarily suited for, but it was a living and it gave him purpose.

Until now.

All that was before he heard the name Xiumin, of course. Before he met and… could he admit it… fell in love with Minseok, a mage. An apostate mage on the run from both the templar order, and his very own brother.

Addiction. Luhan thought long and hard about that word, lying in bed ill and disoriented, waiting for Minseok to come back. Chanyeol was making him dizzy, pacing back and forth, around the bed, fretting and muttering under his breath. Tao, the poor boy, was worn out by everything that had happened today, and probably by his own existence. He stretched out lengthwise across the foot of the bed while Luhan wrestled with his own consciousness.

His head ached, his whole body defeated, every function of his mind craving a drug of which he had no more. He could barely even move his arms and legs, so depleted he felt with every lengthening second. He’d heard of templars who left the order. Cut off from the source of their power, the effects of lyrium withdrawal were horrendous, it was said. Some had even died.

But there were two things he was addicted to: lyrium, and a certain mage. And he felt perhaps that he needed both to survive.

“Chanyeol, please,” he begged the warrior with a sigh. “Can you… stop dancing?”

“Dancing? Oh, you mean pacing, sorry. I’m… nervous.”

“I know, but… it’s making me ill. I’m sorry.”

Tao picked his head off the bed to scowl as well, and Chanyeol, apologetically, sat down on a stone chair instead. He made it no longer than five minutes, his knee bouncing obnoxiously before he apologized again.

“I’ll just go see how the others are doing.”

Luhan breathed a little easier with him gone. Tao continued to rest, not quite asleep but silent and peaceful. It distracted Luhan from worrying about Minseok and Baekhyun, wondering how they were getting on outside, when they would come back, if they would come back.

It was Tao who heard it first, soft footsteps approaching from the other side of the door. His ears must be extra sensitive, because sat up abruptly before Luhan even heard it. Tao sniffed the air and looked afraid. Something in his manner made Luhan’s heart beat, unease taking ahold of his mind even above the symptoms of withdrawal.

“Tao? What is it?” He struggled to pick himself up from the pillows, torso supported by his elbows and his head felt like a million tons.

“Something scary,” said the boy. In a flash he rolled off the bed and disappeared from the line of sight.

The door crashed open.

Luhan gasped and then froze. Minseok stood there- but no, not Minseok.

A man who looked just like him.

He must be dreaming. It must be the delirium taking control of his brain, conjuring images before him that could not be.

The man who was not Minseok approached silently, one foot and then the other. He wore long blue robes, a mage’s uniform, Orlesian in origin, Luhan thought. And his face… so similar.

“You…” Luhan squeaked, trying to raise a hand. He faltered though and fell back down on the bed, helpless.

“Hello, Luhan,” said the mage.

Though his eyes were glazed, Luhan stared at the man, squinting and blinking, taking in every feature of his face. They were so similar, almost identical. He might even believe they could be one and the same. Maybe they were. Maybe there never was another mage named Xiumin, and Minseok had made it all up. An alter ego, a darker conscience.

“So good to see you, Luhan,” said the mage.

And no, his voice was different. Barely perceptible, but Luhan could tell the difference.

“What… what are you… what do you want?” His voice stuttered. He had no energy, no power, and no strength. Tao was hiding, all the others were in the room next door. Luhan wished now that he hadn’t chased Chanyeol away. How could it be that he ended up all alone with the most dangerous blood mage he’d ever encountered? And where was Minseok?

“Minseok… please, what h-have you done with him?”

The mage smiled cheerfully. “Minseok… oh, so you’ve met Minseok? My evil twin?”

That made Luhan angry. “He’s not your twin,” he growled. “You’re two years apart. And you’re the blood mage, you can’t lie to me, I’m a templar.”

A bluff, but a good one, Luhan surmised.

Xiumin raised his eyebrows, sneering. “I’m almost impressed, Luhan. Aren’t you the big scary templar here.”  

“I asked you what you wanted.”

He came closer, knees up against the side of Luhan’s bed. Luhan held back a tremble as the mage gazed down on him. There was no hiding his weakened state. All Luhan had right now was his dignity, and not even much of that.

“You wound me, Luhan. I don’t want anything. Or well, not from you.”

“Then…?”

Xiumin leaned over, a hand laying delicately against the blanket. Minseok’s hand, the same form, shape, small and delicate, but powerful. How could they look the same, sound the same? They couldn’t be the same? Right? Another wave of fear coursed down his body, head to toes, a chill he could not chase away. Was it possible, that he had it wrong after all?

But no, it couldn’t be.

“You’re sick, Luhan. I came to meet you before…”

“Before, what? Before I die?” Luhan choked out bitterly.

Xiumin laughed. “Die? You think you’ll die because you haven’t had your daily dose of lyrium? Luhan… aren’t you a pretty one.”

Luhan bristled, turning his gaze away from the mage who hovered above him. He heard rustling and sure he was about to die. The mage’s hands disappeared within his robes. Luhan had to look, he had to know. In what manner would Xiumin kill him? A poison, a spell? Was Tao still hidden? Would he be able to escape and tell the world how Luhan had died?

“Here. Take it.”

Something landed beside him, a small blue vial. Luhan couldn’t believe his eyes.

“That’s not…”

“Lyrium? Oh, but it is.”

Luhan glared at him, once again letting their eyes meet, matching him with as much integrity as Luhan could muster. “You’re lying. You’ve poisoned it, haven’t you?”

Xiumin held his hands up innocently. “I see you’ve learned a good lesson about mages.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan sneered.

Xiumin chuckled, but he stepped back. The vial glistened on the bed between them. “Mages are tricky, that’s what you’ve always heard, yes? What templars have been taught, indoctrinated with over and over, brainwashed, you might say. Well, most of time, it’s probably true. What secrets we have, the disciplines we learn. The ways we must protect ourselves from people like you.”

There was bitterness there, but also a contempt so deep that it burned inside Luhan’s soul.

“I’m not here to kill you, Luhan. The potion is clean. It’s pure lyrium, and I’m not lying about that.”

“Why would you give it to me then?” he spat, still untrusting.

“A goodwill offering.”

“For what? Why?”

Xiumin didn’t answer. He stepped closer to the bed though. Luhan’s scalp burned from where he touched him, a gentle trace against his forehead, fingers curling in his bangs. Luhan moved his hand to swipe it away, but Xiumin recoiled faster. He laughed.

“It’s good that you don’t trust mages. Why don’t you ask my brother what he’s hiding. Yes, even from you, he keeps secrets. It runs in the family, what can I say?”

“Minseok keeps no lies from me.”

Again, another laugh. “Is that what you think? Then you’re more naive than I anticipated. Come now, Luhan, we both know you’re not that stupid. Shall I tell you a secret?”

“No.”

“No?” Xiumin smiled. “I’ll tell you anyways. Since you won’t believe anything against your precious lover - ohh, how lucky my brother must be - then maybe you’ll hear something about his friend?” He ticked his head sideways and murmured a gentle, “hmm?” 

It was almost sweet, that sound. The same gesture, same curious hum that Minseok often expressed. If Luhan closed his eyes it might be exactly the same. Minseok asking a silly question, begging Luhan to answer. 

With great bitterness Luhan asked, “Which friend?”

A smile of success flashed across Xiumin’s lips, and he bent down again, breath tickling Luhan’s ear. Luhan struggled not to tremble, wishing he hadn’t asked.

“It’s about Yixing…”

The words echoed, soft as they were, Luhan’s eyes widening in disbelief, in surprise, at what Xiumin said, the things he claimed.

Lies, they were obviously lies. Luhan refused to believe it at all. This had to be a trap, a snare, a ploy to separate Luhan from everything he obviously knew, from his allies.

But Xiumin straightened up, and Luhan gulped, knowing he would think on this forever. Even if it was untrue...

“Say hello to my brother, if you see him again.” Xiumin winked and began to walk away. At the door he paused and looked outside. Then he peered back one more time and smiled.

“Lovely to meet you, Luhan. And you, Tao. We’ll meet again, I just know it.”

 

 

 


3,720 words

 

 

Well, this is over a month late. I'm sorry!!! My plan to is to pop out the rest of this fic as soon as I can! Not that I'm close to being done yet. Sighs...lol

 

 

♡ Rosie

LiveJournal | Twitter | Tumblr | Exo Tumblr