Proper Introductions

The Well of Emerald Waters

To everyone's dismay, the Carta dwarves seemed to have made quite a bit of headway. Their path was distinct but cold no matter how fast Xiumin, Luhan, Yixing, and Jongdae paced. For one, neither Jongdae nor Luhan were used to trekking through the forest instead of around it, and even Xiumin was finding it difficult to stay on track. The woods were dense, the sky almost completely obscured. The path was unstable, rocky, and lined with tree stumps emerging out of the ground making it difficult for even the most surest of foot to travel without paying extra attention.

"Are we still going the right way?" Jongdae asked impatiently.

They were relying heavily on Yixing's magic, a bauble of light shining from the tip of his staff to point the way and brighten the shadows.

"Yes, we are," the elf mage answered steadily. "Although I can't guarantee that we'll get far unmet by anything in these forests."

"What do you mean?" Luhan's voice warbled. He was tired already, Xiumin could tell. On foot on a normal day, they walked a steady pace on even roads. It took a different kind of muscle though to traverse the way they were going now. The templar stumbled over a rock even as he talked, and Xiumin caught him, one arm catching him steadily under his arm and holding him up. Luhan regained his balance, but was too embarrassed to even thank him. Instead, his cheeks blushed the slightest shade pink and he glanced Xiumin's way and then quickly gathered his robes so they wouldn't trail across the ground. Xiumin smiled, amused as ever.

Yixing had noticed as well. "Is the templar not quite used to this yet? Xiumin, you haven't been training him well."

Even Jongdae smirked, the most non-concerned expression they'd gotten out him in the two hours since they started on their journey.

Luhan seemed to steady himself, holding himself upright taller than he seemed. Sometimes Xiumin forgot the templar was actually a regal looking man. Most of the time he seemed small and delicate, funny and useless, even though he was taller than currently everyone in the party. He wouldn't deny of course that he was good in battle, but outside of such an occasion, Xiumin didn't exactly know what to do with him. Humor the man, take him unawares or get him off guard, sneak away when the time was right. That had been his master plan. And all that had changed the moment he heard Luhan lying to the other templars. Claiming he'd never found him, Xiumin, the apostate accused of blood magic and whatever other evils the scroll contained.

Now, Xiumin could practically not imagine the templar any other way than friendly, more than friendly. A friend. Someone he could almost trust with his life. It wouldn't do though to scare him too soon. The things in his mind, his dreams, his past. Xiumin had not forgotten the look of horror when he'd first used magic, the fear and betrayal and confusion, and how narrowly they had passed such an ordeal. The templar might now act like he was used to his spells, flashes of light, and combat magic. But he still had no conception for the pools of magic Xiumin could draw from the Fade, that any mage could do given the chance, or how dangerous it was. It was unlikely any of the mages confined by the Circle had ever demonstrated something powerful enough before Luhan's eyes. And a templar's magic was powerful, but compared to Xiumin's, mere tricks. 

"Something the matter?" Luhan interrupted his thoughts. 

"What?" Xiumin shook his head.

"You had a strange look on your face."

"I did?"

Luhan nodded. Yixing smirked. The other mage was a worrying presence. He knew too much. He knew him

"Just observing your ugly face," Xiumin told the templar, who promptly frowned and earned the description. 

"Are we gaining any ground?" Jongdae was not amused by the two mages' joint laughter and Luhan's continuing frown. 

Yixing recovered faster. "Can't exactly tell yet, although I can tell you that dwarves are hardy and they can cover quite a lot of ground in one day. I'm afraid we may not meet with the others again for perhaps a day, maybe two, depending on how far these Carta thieves are moving."

"Even with the horse?"

"Yep, even with the horse."

"You sound like you have quite the animosity for the Carta," said Luhan.

Xiumin looked to him sharply. 

Yixing, however, replied as calmly as ever. "They are... pests, to be sure. Mind you, smugglers usually are. And they have no loyalty to the King of Orzammar or anyone else, so... their law is their own. Whatever makes the gold."

"Are they really all that bad though?" asked Luhan. "I mean, they didn't really attempt to attack us."

"No, well as I said, they're smugglers, not murderers as a rule. But never underestimate the casteless dwarves of Orzammar. Most were probably born in the slums, or on the surface. And once you come up, you can't go back. Disowned, disenfranchised. That's why you should never mess around with the organized ranks of the Carta. They have nothing to lose."

"You ever been to Orzammar?" Jongdae asked.

"No," said Yixing. "But I know someone who has." 

This time it was Xiumin's turn to almost trip over his feet. 

 

 

 

 

By nightfall, Sehun was ready to be home. Somewhere, anywhere that could be considered permanent. And still Jongin denied they were technically close. "We sleep here tonight. We'll make the manor house by mid-afternoon tomorrow." 

Sehun didn't know why, if they were that close why didn't they just travel through the night, but then it wasn't his job to lead the expedition or to keep them safe. Maybe if he pulled rank and ordered Jongin, the warrior would relent. However, he wasn't convinced it would even work, and he wasn't going to try. They were alive so far because of Jongin. Although technically, they'd also been aided greatly by Xiumin and Luhan. And Jongdae. 

At least they still had Alistair.

The hound, in his master's absence, had glued itself to Sehun, and for that he was grateful. It was a little bit of comfort, sleeping up next to a warm animal, even if he drooled. They'd found shelter in a small cave. It was damp, but so was the outdoors. A light rain began trickling down just as they settled in, Jongin and Baekhyun bickering about meals and who had the better blanket, Chanyeol arguing with Kris about the existence of the rare Sharp-Tail Dracolisk. The qunari claimed such mounts were untamable, and Chanyeol doubted if they even lived. All of it was moot to Sehun. He slid up against the side of the cave wall, trying to find a comfortable spot. They ate dried meats, and Chanyeol started a small fire which they positioned to one side of the opening to let out some of the smoke. Baekhyun decided to give Jongin the better blanket as long as he could share. 

"I'll take first watch," Kris proposed. He looked exhausted though, meanwhile Sehun was wide awake.

"I'll do it."

"What?" Three pairs of voices echoed back at him, Jongin, Baekhyun, and Kris all surprised.

Sehun merely shrugged. "I'm not sleepy. I can shout loud if anything attacks."

It took a bit of convincing, but in the end the others fell asleep, including Alistair and the mule. Sehun had no idea what he was watching for. What did one do when they had to stay awake at night, other than worry themselves with useless thoughts, like his aunt turning him away to face bog fever, or worse. Like having to go back to Denerim which a few weeks ago Sehun wouldn't have minded, but they were now half a world away, so it felt.

The fire burned low, Sehun's eyes began to droop. He shook his legs to keep himself awake and almost didn't notice when Alistair suddenly awoke, head towards the cave entrance and ears on the alert. He growled once, low in his throat, and that was the trigger that caught Sehun's attention. On the other side of the fire, there was a vague silhouette. Sehun's heart began to pound, tongue trying to formulate a word to wake the others. But then Alistair's growls ceased, and instead he wagged his tail once.

Someone friendly. 

Sehun pulled himself to his feet, almost hitting his head on the low overhang until he crouched into the middle. Could it be Xiumin and Luhan returning so soon? Had they been successful and rescued Suho, or maybe the dwarf had escaped on his own? Unlikely, and unlikelier still when Sehun counted only one body, and this of just an average height. Robed, concealed.

"Kyungsoo?" he whispered. 

He hadn't seen him since the time he and Xiumin disappeared together. Alistair padded past him and approached the human, just as Kyungsoo stepped firmly into the light made from the fire, just the hint of a smile as he nodded. He wore gloves now, green gloves unlike his robes of grey, so when Alistair nudged his head into Kyungsoo's hand, he left no marks. A shiver passed through Sehun before he quickly pushed it away. Since when had Kyungsoo grown more cunning?

"Sehun," said the man. "I see you're still well."

Sehun spun his head around to see if the others were still asleep. They were, therefore he responded, "Xiumin's not here," before biting his tongue. Why he wanted the mage, or why Sehun thought Kyungsoo might want the mage, he didn't know.

"I'm aware of that." He continued to pet Alistair, pulling at the hound's ears but he made no move to step around the fire and enter the cave completely. His eyes too darted to the four sleeping figures before focusing back on Sehun. "I came to find you actually."

"Me?" 

Kyungsoo smiled. "And them. But mainly you."

"I-I don't understand," Sehun stuttered quietly, still checking on the others. Baekhyun moved in his sleep, but the elf hadn't yet fully awoken. Sehun feared that might change the longer they spoke. 

"To give you a warning, actually."

Now that did give Sehun a fright. How the other could speak so impassibly, evenly, while delivering a warning.

"What?" His body felt frozen stiff.

"Edgevalley Manor. The place you are heading. Who was it again that lives there, your aunt? I'm warning you: don't go there."

"How do you know that?" Sehun gulped, no longer whispering. 

"Did you forget I've been following you for ages. I hear many things." Kyungsoo sighed like he was speaking to a child. 

"Why don't you want us to go there? What's there?"

"Oh it's nothing to do with me," Kyungsoo denied, "I'm just being nice by passing on the message. If you go there, you may die."

As if the phrase included a keyword, Baekhyun finally woke up. Sehun almost fell over, hearing the rustling which included a few grunts of disapproval and finally a gasp.

"Sehun?! Jongin, wake up!"

Kyungsoo stiffened, but he didn't move off. All in the span of several seconds though, all three warriors were on their feet, and Baekhyun had drawn his bow. 

"Freeze, you wretch!"

"Who are you!?"

"Sehun, back away!" 

However, Sehun did not. Kyungsoo dropped to his knees, less in surrender though because Alistair's girth effectively shielded him, and even though he could have slipped away before, he made no motion to do so now. 

"Who are you?!" Jongin demanded again.

Baekhyun answered. "Jongin, this is who's been following us. I just know it." Both Jongin and Chanyeol, armor-less but still lethal, edged forward, step by agonizing half step. The elf only adjusted his angle, holding the arrow taut, but since Kyungsoo didn't answer and Alistair hadn't moved away, Sehun stepped forward himself and into the line of fire.

"Don't," he breathed out, arms open as if to shield him from attack. "He's... he just came to warn us about-"

"Sehun, he's been tailing us for over a month. There's no warning he could give that would make me not shoot."

"His name is Kyungsoo!" 

Baekhyun was obviously not expecting this response. Nor were the others. Jongin's sword arm actually faltered in shock, lowering by a few degrees, and Baekhyun appeared flabbergasted. 

"What?" 

Only Kris held his stance, neither unnerved by the stranger's presence nor confused by the turn of events.

Chanyeol, however, could not contain his surprise. "It has a name?"

"How... do you know his name?" Jongin questioned him tersely. All eyes darted between Sehun and Kyungsoo, who still crouched in silence behind the hound, one hand on the animal's back, the other hidden behind his back. Sehun suddenly doubted his sincerity, if Kyungsoo had a weapon or a staff. Was he magical or not? He'd never volunteered such things, Sehun had never asked, and Xiumin refused to say a word about what had happened when he and Kyungsoo went off. 

"We've... met before," Sehun tried to explain. 

"When? How?" Baekhyun's voice shook, but his eyesight did not. He moved not a single muscle, everything part of his body poised to let the arrow fly if Kyungsoo so much as give him a split second's reason to strike.

"A while ago... several times. He knows Xiumin too!" he added quickly. 

This did not seem to appeal to Jongin. The warrior's eyes widened in distrust, and Sehun feared he hadn't done the mage a favor by offering up his name like that. "And Luhan..." It was a stretch Sehun wasn't sure he should be taking. 

Jongin visibly swallowed. "Let me get this straight then. Your name is Kyungsoo," he said, addressing the man directly, "you've been following us since the Brecelian Forest, and... now you have a warning for us?" He shook his head like he could not believe even half of what he assessed. Baekhyun was also no closer to believing this.

Sehun caught Kyungsoo's eyes, and slowly the man stood back up, arms back down by his side. Boldly, he faced the others and spoke. "Yes." 

Baekhyun scoured him from head to toe, suddenly focusing on the dark green gloves. "You're the one with the grey touch." It was not a question, but Kyungsoo nodded at this too. 

"He's saved my life, several times," Sehun added.

Jongin by-passed this and went straight for, "What are you and what do you want?"

Kyungsoo held himself stiffly. "As you've heard, you know my name. After that, I'm just a man... with a slight ailment." He shrugged. 

"How come you've never shown yourself before then?" Chanyeol demanded to know.

"No reason to. You were already afraid of me before."

"So what's different now?" asked Jongin.

Kyungsoo smiled, no trace of his teeth and it did not reach his eyes. "As you've heard," he repeated slowly, "I have a warning."

"From who? Who sent you?"

Another smirk. "Nobody sent me. This warning is from me, because I thought perhaps you'd like to know." 

"And that warning is?"

"That the people who attacked you before have already gone towards Edgevalley Manor."

Jongin looked stricken, Baekhyun appalled, and Chanyeol cursed. Sehun clutched below his throat, suddenly feeling very small and afraid. Jongin finally lowered his weapon and approached closer. It was then that he seemed to notice Alistair and how the animal was completely at ease with the supposed-to-be stranger. 

"You helped us fight them before. How do you know where they have gone?" 

"Eavesdropped on a group of them several nights ago. Since your party made a detour and they did not. They complained of many things," he spoke conversationally, as if they had all night to list things. "A dragon, rumors of werewolves near Gherlen's Pass, stale water and lack of good ale. The boy they intended to capture, perhaps to kill." 

They ruminated on that, particularly Jongin whose job it was to make the decisions for the party. No expression that passed across his face looked particularly pleasant right now though. Concern, mistrust, indecision; Sehun read it all because the same things were going through his head. And yet, this was Kyungsoo who looked terrifying but had saved him or assisted them over and over. The only question was what were his motives. Sehun guessed he may not answer, if questioned so bluntly. 

"You realize, I have no reason to take your word for this," said Jongin evenly. 

"I know," Kyungsoo replied. "It's your prerogative now, how you shall take my words. I had hoped Xiumin would believe me, since we passed some time together. However, now that you have split, I have no choice but to come to you directly."

"You have a choice though," Baekhyun interrupted. "Why come to tell us at all?" 

"Can't a person just be nice?" Kyungsoo smiled.

"Nice," Baekhyun repeated. "Nice, is going on a vacation that just so happens to follow our route and then telling us we're all going to die. This smells like a trap from every angle, and I don't know what you've told the mage. He's not here. We are. And I know for a fact there's something off about you. Take off your gloves and let us see, won't you?"

Kyungsoo inclined his head, smirking all the while. "Cautious, aren't you?"

"Of course we are," said the elf. 

"So cautious that you've allowed all manner of folks and races from all kinds of mysterious backgrounds into your circle. What's one more like me to throw off the balance of all your carefully weighed caution?" Even as he spoke though, he began to fidget with one glove, wrenching it off with one hand until his left palm was bare and plain to see. Just like a human hand, fleshy but dirty, although Sehun knew it was that way by appearance alone. That whatever Kyungsoo touched, wherever he placed his palm, he left a mark for all to see. 

"Care to shake my hand?" 

No one volunteered, even though they had to know what would happen when they did. Grey that faded to nothing, except on one who was already dead. Those marks they knew did not fade. Yet the marks on Sehun had...

"I don't think I need to," Baekhyun responded finally. "It is clear you are sick in some way, and I'm willing to bet it is the taint. Tell us, Kyungsoo... Just what manner of Darkspawn are you really?"

 

 

 


3,080 words

 

This chapter is short, please forgive me! This week has been crazy and I got distracted by other fics.. ahem... I almost skipped this week entirely, but I really wanted to update and I do so love keeping a schedule. It's like making my bed. It makes me feel good and productive. Next week I'll post a longer chapter, but in the meantime, enjoy the questions/twists I've brought up today!

 

♡ Rosie

LiveJournal | Twitter | Tumblr

 

 

And please, check out the first half of a ZOMBIE fic I started to write: The Last of Them. This is me trying my hand at an entirely different genre. :)