Chapter 4

Survival Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was always like that with Jiyong. Dying was a part of living, and if i couldn't accept that, then there was no room for me by his side. It's not like he didn't warn me. I still remember the first time i met this dangerous man. I was from an ordinary family, a stay-at-home mom, and a workaholic father. I had three letters from three different colleges waiting for me to open them to find out which school i would be going too.

But i hadn't opened them yet. I didn't want to. Because opening them would mean that my future would be set by a simple, few words and there would be no more surprises coming my way anymore. My life would be over. I didn't want to become like my mom, who stayed home, and made dinner for my father every single day, but he never showed up in time, and i certainly didn't want to become like my father who was always stuck in the office. 

There had to be more to life than just work and family. And that's when i met Jiyong. It was a few minutes past midnight, i was outside wandering the streets. The streets were all empty, and no wonder. It was extremely cold outside, despite the fact that i was wearing a black beanie and a thick, grey winter coat. I almost regretted going outside. I could always turn around, and go back home, and open the letters.

My parents had been desperately waiting for me to open them, and they always said that if i didn't open them soon, the colleges would pick someone else, and my chance would be gone. I knew they were right, of course, but i didn't want my life to become like them. But there was no other choice. 

I was just about to turn around to walk back to my normal, dull life when this guy appeared out of a dark back alley, and ran straight into me. The impact of landing on the cold, hard ground caused me a great deal of pain in my back, and it didn't help that his tall, and broad man had fallen on top of me. 

Groaning in pain, i placed both my palms on his chest and pushed him off me with all my might. I sat up, looking down at my stockings. They were ripped from the knees and down, and soaking wet. My coat wasn't much better. I was brushing the dirt off my knees when i noticed a bag next to me, and something shiny was sticking out of it. 

The curiosity took over me, and i took it out. It was a necklace, with a green stone in the middle. The necklace itself was made of pure gold, while the stone... was a diamond. In a split second, the necklace was ripped out of my hands and put back into the bag. I could hear distant shouting and running footsteps that seemed to be getting closer and closer.

The man seemed in a hurry, and he quickly rose to his feet, but he fell back down on the ground. It seemed like the impact of the fall had also injured him, or his leg to be specific. You didn't need to be smart to figure out what he was doing. Stealing. This is going to sound pretty lame, but that was the most exciting thing that had ever happened in my life. 

And it led me to take a decision. A bad one, probably. I got up on my feet, grabbed the bag and slung it over my neck, before helping him up. He was desperately trying to reach for the bag, but as for right now, i was stronger. I helped him, or more like dragged him, across the street, and fiddled in my pocket.

I knew it was in my pocket, i never took it out. As the footsteps were coming closer, i frantically searched both my pockets, and finally i felt it under my fingertips. I picked the key up and didn't hesitate to put it in the keyhole. The door unlocked and i dragged him inside, shutting the door and locking it. 

The man was staring at me through his long, brown and wet locks. His breathing was shaky and his eyes were cold. Ice cold. He seemed dangerous, and obviously, he was. He had just stolen jewelry worth who knows how much money. I slowly took the bag off me and took two steps closer to him, just an arm length between us.

I held the bag out towards him, and he didn't hesitate to snap it out of my fingers. He searched it thorougly, probably making sure i hadn't stolen anything of his stolen goods. Once he knew everything was still there, he found a chair and sat down. That's when he finally looked around at the surroundings.

"A library?" Escaped his lips. His lips looked cold, and almost blue. I hadn't noticed it earlier, but he was freezingly cold. I found a chair, took off my beanie and removed my coat. I threw them on the floor as i sat down. There was no point in wearing then anymore, they were soaking wet, and keeping them on would only make me freeze more. 

I fiddled with my hands in my lap as i looked at the stranger in front of me who was also looking at me. He seemed sort of amused, yet... weird. Odd. "Yes. I used to work here. I still have the key, in case i get bored during the night, like tonight..."

He gave me a slight smirk, before he took off the black hoodie, dragging it off his head and tossing it on the floor along with my coat and beanie. "Bet you're not bored anymore. It's not everyday you get to help out a fugitive. Why did you do it?".

"Like i said, i was bored. There was nothing better to do," I looked down at the floor, and realized i should go home before i get tangled in any more criminal acts. I stood up, running my hand through my long hair. "There's clothes in the back somewhere that you can just take. You can stay here fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter