Chapter 1

Soul Eater

Oh Sehun is born on a fine spring afternoon, the kind where one would think how the day can’t get any more perfect. Sehun's mother is reading a book out in the garden, a favorite past time she and her husband do these days. Sehun's father had just stepped foot inside the house to refill the pitcher of water when he hears the glass his wife was holding earlier break as it slips from her grip along with a small gasp coming from her.
 

"Is it time?" He asks, looking at his wife with so much concern and love, both of their hands holding on to her belly.

Sehun's mother chuckles through her heavy breathing.

"I think it is."

All of Sehun's family are there to welcome him into the world after hours of a very painful delivery. But before his parents could present him to all his aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins, Sehun's father takes a few solitary moments with his new family.

"He's beautiful," He says, giving his wife and his new born son a loving kiss on the forehead.

Sehun's mother smiles through her tears as she holds her bundle of happiness close. Sehun makes a small sound and yawns, making his mother and father lean in closer to admire this precious gift on this perfect day.

"He is."

"He's going to do great things."

Sehun's mother nods.

"Death will be so proud."
 

* * *
 

Sehun is nine when his parents realize there's something different about him.

They're called into the principal's office. A classmate had made fun of him being too tall and gangly and Sehun had knocked him off his seat and punched his face.

His parents are called in for two reasons. One being the obvious that Sehun had started the fight and the other one a bit more serious and alarming.

"Are you sure?" His mother asks the principal, worry etched on her face while Sehun's father had confusion written all over his.

"That can't be right," His father says, brow pulled together as he stares at his son sitting just outside the office with his back to them, his son's head lowered as he stares at the ground. "Sehun can't... He can't fight."

The principal places a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I suggest you have him assessed this early,” He says, eyeing the kid cautiously. “I can't have a weapon sitting in my class."
 

* * *
 

Sehun is in the middle of highschool when he gets into another fight. But this one isn't so surprising. He has had a dozen fights ever since he was nine and this one is considered a mild one. One of the kids at school took a freshman's lunch and Sehun wanted to do something about it.

"I just pushed him inside his locker," Sehun explains to his parents from the backseat as they pick him up from school. "He wasn't even hurt!"

"That is not the point," His mother replies.

Sehun thinks it is the point. His parents are always frowning at him whenever he gets sent to the principal's office and he can understand why. Who wants a kid as a troublemaker anyway? But Sehun isn’t a troublemaker and he isn't one to just stand there when some kid is bullying other students. He's tall and stronger than most of the kids his age. Can't his parents see he's helping them?

"Then why am I being transferred?" Sehun asks, slamming the car doors shut and following his father up their house. "Why are you making this such a big deal?"

"Because you're not supposed to be fighting!" His father answers, whirling around to look Sehun in the eye, looking absolutely furious and distraught that Sehun is stunned, biting back whatever argument he has ready to give.

They don't talk much about it again. Sehun doesn't even try to explain himself anymore. He doesn’t question their decision to transfer him to another school. A different one. A special one. One that has a dormitory where he can stay and room with the other students.

Sehun doesn’t question anything. Even when the papers for his new school are fully signed and handed over to the new principal.

Even when the principal’s parting words to him and his parents - “Sehun is going to do well with us” -  seem confusing.
 

* * *
 

It doesn’t take long for Sehun to realize what he is. His subjects are straightforward that when Sehun goes through them for a month, he finally understands why he was sent here.

But it doesn’t make sense. Even when Sehun understands now why he’s here. Everything doesn’t make sense. He’s born into a family with a different kind of status for generations. They were born to lead and to command.

They weren’t born to fight.

And yet Sehun was sent here.

Sehun tries to call his parents to tell them all this is a mistake. He is just like his mother and father. His aunt and uncles. His cousins. His grandparents. He’s not what they think he is. He doesn’t have it in him to be what they think he is.

But his parents never answer his calls. They don’t reply to his letters. They don’t even answer the door when Sehun sneaks away from school to come and visit them because they never visit him.

“You’re not supposed to be fighting!”

An image of his father yelling this at him, the look of distaste and fury in his eyes, has Sehun finally come to his senses after a few days.

Because it doesn’t take much to know that his family sees him as a disgrace.
 

* * *
 

It takes a while for Sehun to accept who he is even if this new life fits him so comfortably. This life that he never even dreamed he could live. He gets to do what he’s good at and no one bullies him for being too tall, too fast and strong.

Not once has he ever entertained the thought of being able to fight but here he is living every single day of his life training for it. He always knew he would be like his mother and father and all his other relatives. But apparently, he’s meant to do other things.

Sehun doesn’t call his parents up anymore. He doesn’t write them letters nor visit them. He doesn’t expect them to visit him even when he graduates in a month.

It’s been four years. He’s one of the most toughest, fastest, strongest in his class. He fits right in and no one sends him to the principal’s office when he knocks out a few of his classmates during training.

But even if it is easy, even if he finds this kind of life suited for him, Sehun still longs to be with his family. He wants to see his mother and father’s proud faces someday. To see them welcome him back home. That even if he isn’t one of them, at least, he’ll be the strongest of his own kind.

And everyone knows that the only way to become the strongest is to be able to earn the right to stand beside Death.

So he makes it a point to be scouted. Because his kind needs to be trained. His kind needs a meister.

And Sehun only wants the best meister so he can become the best weapon.

After all, becoming the best weapon is the only way his parents will be proud of him.