Four

Mere Misfit

April 5, 2012, 10:30 AM

HyukJae's Home

 

The blonde teen had been glaring at his phone for quite some time now. He was quite surprised himself when he woke up early, considering that the party last night lasted til dawn. But once his eyes opened and he became conscious of his surroundings, he was reminded the absence of one person from last night's celebration.

 

He left

 

Those dreadful words uttered by the cousin of his best friend kept repeating on his mind, and he just cant accept that. Not without hearing the reason from the brunet himself. But that's the problem, isn't it. He's been calling Donghae's number since last night but it never got through. Hyukjae also tried calling the brunet's mother, but it yielded the same result. He was getting more and more frustated every minute that passed that he's clueless of his best friend's whereabouts. He's worried, yes. There was never a time that he didn't know where to find the other. He always knows where to find him. Always. He's mad, yes. Because he left without even a goodbye. They've been friends for as long as they have known, and it seemed only proper to say farewell when one has to leave with a friendship as long as theirs, right? But above all the emotiongs bubbling inside him, it is dominated by fear. Fear of never seeing Donghae again. Fear of never getting that chance to hold him again. Fear of never telling him that he loves---Wait, what?

 

Hyukjae shakes his head from where his thoughts are heading, and he jumped when he heard his phone ringing. His heart leaped, and he grabbed his phone only for his excited face to drop when he saw who's calling.

 

"Yes, Hyo?" He answered, lying back on bed and trying to lighten his voice. This is his girlfriend calling. He should feel elated, he tried to convince himself.

 

April 23, 2012, 5:30 AM

Lee Residence in Busan

 

 

Light footsteps creaked on the wooden floor as an early risen brunet carefully went the down the stairs. After safely gracing the bottom stair, he silently went inside the kitchen to make tea. After doing such, he poured himself a cup before wrapping his body with the woolen sweater his grandmother had given him, then he slowly opened the back door and went out.

 

It was quite chilly, despite the summer season, so he sat down with his knees to his chest as he sipped his tea and relaxed. He closed his eyes and inhaled the clean air of the mountains, before he looked at the vast land right in front of him. He's surrounded by various plants and trees, flowers of many kind, and it kind of lifts his mood. After the incident, his mother had brought them to his grandparents house. They knew of his situation, and he had apologized for doing something so stupid, and he told them how ashamed he was for what happened. But like his mother, they just accepted him with open arms, and reminded him that what's growing inside him is a blessing, a gift. And that he should never be ashamed of it. Slightly, the brunet's hand landed on his, still, flat tummy and rubbed it, finding the motion quite awkward, but soothing at the same time.

 

Also, with the short time he stayed here, he figured that gardening is an effective stress-reliever. At first, he's just observing the wide variety of orchids his grandmother had been caring, then he got curious and asked if he could help her, and now, he's slowly startint to love it; his grandma telling him he had green hands (according to her, that's a compliment for a gardener, but who knows).

 

"You're up early," someone softly spoke behind him and he looked back to see his grandfather with a cup of tea on his hand as well. "It's not morning sickness, is it?"

 

The brunet smiled, "No, grandpa. Just woke up early, I guess," he answered, as the old man sat beside him and they both looked at the well cared of garden.

 

"I remember when your grandma was pregnant with your mom. Her cravings, and her mood swings, oh I'm so glad we just had one child," his grandpa started telling with a fond tone and a slight tease. The brunet chuckled.

 

"What's your role then? During those times?" He asked, curious.

 

"Just stayed beside her. Giving her what she wants. Being patient when her mood acts up. And just, showering her with all the love I have for her. That's our child she's carrying, and I know my role may be small but I wanted to be a part of it in any way that I can," he shared, then he looked at the brunet with caring eyes. "No father could not want to be part of the development of his child, Hae. That, I am sure of."

 

With those words, he looked away, tears starting to gather. "It's not that---It's not that I don't want him to know, grandpa. Of course I want him to---to be part of it. I want him to be beside me during those times too; when I get cranky, or when I get cravings. I do want him beside me always. I think of the times when I need to go to the hospital for a check-up, I want him there, holding my hand as we both see how our child would look. I want him there when we know if our child is a girl or a boy. I want him there when we shop for baby stuff. I want him there when I deliver our child. I want him there...I want him beside always...but I'm, I'm scared..."

 

"Scared of what, Hae? If you want him to be with you on this adventure, what's stopping you, child?"

 

"What if...what if he doesn't want it? What if he asks me to...to get rid of it? What if...he doesn't want this with me?" he asks, finally voicing out the fears he's been bottling up inside him.

 

Donghae felt a hand on his shoulder, and he look at the warm brown eyes of his grandfather. "All this what ifs, where would it lead you if you let it rule you? Nowhere. You will never know if you never try, Donghae. I know you are scared, but that fear would not go away if you do not get your answers, dear. If he says he'd be with you, then you'll get what you want. But if he doesn't want it, then at least you knew. And you'd be able to move on completely, with your child, with no regrets. You'll be free."

 

May 18, 2012, 9:40 AM

 

It was quite crowded in the train station when he got off. Looking at the time, he started walking out the streets and just take in the city he's been deprived of for the last couple of weeks. With his hood still on, and his shades to block the radiating sun, he started walking at that familiar direction of his previous home. It had been quite some time when he finally got the courage to finally go back and confront Hyukjae. He knew he wasted a long time, but he just had to gather enough strength...and if not for the words of his grandfather that fateful day, he would not have even considered informing Hyukjae for he'd be swallowed by his fear.

 

He passed by the coffee shop he and Hyukjae frequented, and he got in to order a drink for himself and the blonde, and also some croissants. As he got nearer and nearer, his resolve just got stronger. He had to do this. For himself, and his child. He had to.

 

 

May 18, 2015, 10:00 AM

 

"Why are you here so early in the morning?" Hyukjae grumbled as he walked up the stairs, and re-entered his room, flopping back down his bed.

 

"We need to talk."

 

"You haven't spoken to me and now you're demanding that we talk," he grumbled, eyes closed.

 

"This is important, Hyukjae. Please sit up and listen to me."

 

"Whatever it is that you need to say, I am sure it's not as important as my sleep."

 

"Not as important as knowing that I am pregnant, and you are the father?"

 

May 18, 2012, 6:20 PM

 

The view outside the window is hazy as the train sped towars its destination. It is dark, except for the numbered street lights from the far cities the train passes by. There was one town that was celebrating a festival, decorated with vivid colors that the children in the nearby passenger seats found amusing as they stuck their faced on the glass window, thinking they'd get a closer look. Chuckles and coos from their amused parents resonated inside the train. And in one corner, alone and with his eyes not seeing the colors viewed outside, is Donghae. He got his elbow propped up on the side, his chin resting on his palm as he blindly stared at the festivities, before the train moved forward again, changing the scenery into the darkness of the night.

 

He silently got up, and went out the train when it halted at his destination. Looking forward, his bag clutched tightly, he walked forward. 

 

When he get infront of the gates, he rang the doorbell, still blankly staring forward. When the gates opened, he was enveloped into a warm hug, in which he immediately recognized as his mother. Then his back was rubbed soothingly. He stayed rooted that way, standing still, with no reaction. But when everything came rushing back, he heard the sobs of his mother, and the worried eyes of his grandparents who are now outside, looking sadly at them. That was when he heard his mother, 

 

"Please talk to me, darling. Stop crying..."

 

May 18, 2012, 10:00 AM

 

Seeing that the gate and the door was unlocked, the brunet let himself in. It was not a surprise to find the house empty, knowing fully well that Hyukjae's parents are at work, and his sister is already a working woman. But he heard mumbled talking upstairs, so he quietly went up and found the door of the blonde's room slightly opened. And that was when he heard it.

 

 

"Not as important as knowing that I am pregnant, and you are the father?"

 

He stiffled a gasp, covering with his free hand. He knew the owner of that voice... Hyoyeon.

 

"Look, it's too early for pranks, Hyo. I am not in the mood," Donghae heard Hyukjae grumbled, and he hates how his heart skipped a beat just by hearing his voice.

 

"I am 2 months in already," Hyoyeon continued.

 

Two months? Donghae thought, it is the same as the month he is in, which means---

 

"It was during that party a few days after the graduation ball. Remember?" she informed him, and the bed rustled, signaling the awakening of the blonde.

 

"Please tell me this is a joke," the blonde uttered.

 

"No, Hyukjae. This...I am pregnant..."

 

"But---we're too young!" Hyukjae exasperated. "How could we possibly be--- I cant...I am not prepared to be a father this soon, Hyo. We cant---I cant..."

 

Then Donghae heard enough. He stepped out the house unnoticed, just as he got in.