One

Mere Misfit

November 18, 2010

"Donghae! Wake up, you retard! You'd be late for class!"

 

The said brunet just scrunched up his nose in annoyance before turning to the other side, hoping the sound of the screeching animal would halt and just leave him alone in peace. He pulled another all-nighter, and it would be really nice to lie in for a few more minutes before the unfairness of reality would come slamming right back at him. Really. No one knows how hard being a journalism major is. There are tons of papers to be finished and after finishing that, there'd be a new set to accomplish. So. Yeah. Sleep. Good idea.

 

He was gradually being pulled in by the soothing embrace and obliviousness once again, when he felt the torturing fingers massaging the spaces of his ribs that jolted him, giving a hard kick to whoever insane it was to actually do that. There was a loud thud from the wooden floor, then a loud groan before Donghae actually forced his eyelids to open for a fraction and saw. Of course.

 

"Hyuk," he breathed out raspily. "Did you know that it's rude to wake people from their slumber?"

 

Hyukjae, who was now glaring daggers at the adorably groggy brunet, sat up and rubbed his sore bum. "But it's ruder if I didn't wake you from your beauty rest when I know that the paper you spent time finishing last night would be due in, like," there was a pause as he looked at his wrist watch before looking back up at Donghae, "20 minutes."

 

"What?!" The brunet quickly whipped his head to look at the wall clock and dashed towards the bathroom as he started shouting profanities at his bestfriend. "Why didn't you wake me earlier, you pea brain?!"

 

"Pea brain?!" Hyukjae shouted back, "Who was the one who kicked me to the floor when I tried waking you?!"

 

"You call that a wake up call?! You know I hate being tickled!" The other argued, coming back from the bathroom after washing his face and gargling mouthwash then made a beeline to the dresser.

 

"What am I supposed to do, then?! You don't wake up like a normal person. Had to do it!"

 

"You could've just." 

 

"What?"

 

"Just. Ugh. Whatever." Donghae gave up, picking a gray V-neck shirt and slipping it on before grabbing the printed output and his back pack.

 

"You should be thanking me, you know," came the annoye grumble from the far corner of the room that made Donghae pause. He glanced at his wrist watch, noting that there's 14 minutes left. Then he turned back and walked towards his sulking best friend.

 

"I know," he muttered, stopping right in front of Hyukjae before flashing him an apologetic smile and leant in to kiss his cheek. "Thank you, Hyukkie."

 

Then he dashed out of the room before hearing Hyukjae shout, "That's myshirt, by the way!"

 

January 11, 1995

"This is my son, Hyukjae. Come on, hon. Say hi to the neighbors," Hyukjae's mom ushered, trying to gently push the lanky 4 year old boy towards the other boy who was hiding behind his mother. Only letting brown eyes watch them curiously and the bright sun caught those brown orbs with its rays that made it sort of sparkle. At least thats what Hyukjae thought in his young mind. And isn't it that everything that shines is pretty?

 

"I am Hyukjae," the boy introduced himself, locking gazes with the other boy. "Let's be friends."

 

"Why?" came the too soft reply of the little kid, but it's there. And Hyukjae felt thrilled that the other boy is talking back to him.

 

"Why what?"

 

"Why should we be friends?"

 

"Oh. That's easy. Because I love shiny things. And your eyes shine so I love you. So you should be my friend because I like making shiny things mine."

 

The said-to-be shiny eyes grew wide, making Hyukjae's assumption of its' shinyness confirmed. Yep. Definitely shiny. The two mothers watching the exchange of the children smiled fondly, as the boy hiding slowly stepped out of his mother's protection and took a tentative step forward. He offered one tiny looking hand and smiled sweetly,

 

"I'm Lee DongHae."

 

February 14, 2003

 

"Are you eating that?" KyuHyun asked, pointing at yet another expensive looking chocolate box from Donghae's desk.

 

The brunet looked away from the book he's reading to look at his cousin and replied, "You don't have to ask, Kyu. You know I hate sweets."

 

"True," the younger replied before grabbing the box and started unwrapping the sweet. "I don't get it. Its pretty obvious that you hated chocolates from the very start, I mean, you are allergic to nuts and everybody in this damn school knew it because you know--- 3 years ago..."

 

"Don't remind me."

 

"Exactly. You looked hideous. And yet, every valentines day, these boxes kept on getting higher in scale every year. I mean, sure, a stereotype valentines day must have a chocolate but still. Girls are getting dumber and dumber each year."

 

"It makes them content. Leave them be," Donghae replied, resuming his reading.

 

"Why not just give you something you like? It's not that hard to know what you're obsessed with. If the starbucks cup you carry around every morning is not evidence enough. Like, hello? It's either they are pathetically blind or they are trying to kill you," the younger continued to ramble as he started unwrapping the second chocolate.

 

"There are coffee-flavored chocolates there somewhere, you know," the brunet pointed out.

 

"Sure. But why not just give you a can of coffee, instead? I am sure you'd be more happy with that."

 

"Because they don't know me like that."

 

"Know you like what?" A new voice joined in. Hyukjae was wearing a fresh shirt, obviously just finished shower after his dance practice and came to pick the brunet who was waiting for him just like the old times. His bag was hanging on his right shoulder, and a towel was on his head. "Wow. That is a lot of chocolates. Enjoying, brat?"

 

"Why do you think I stayed?" KyuHyun smirked, getting five more boxes and trying to fit them in his bag as Hyukjae slumped his entire body at his best friend.

 

"Get off, Hyuk. Your hair's still wet and you might ruin my book," the brunet complained, closing the said book and keeping it at a fair distance from the other.

 

"Such a meanie," Hyukjae pouted. "And to think I got you this," he placed two cans of latte at the brunet's desk and cheekily said, "thought I'd refuel your caffeine slot machine with this."

 

"Thanks!" Donghae said happily, grabbing one can and quickly opening it. Unconscious of the knowing look Kyuhyun was secretly directing at the two best friends.

 

October 15, 1993

 

"It's not his fault...please, dont."

 

"I don't care if it's his fault or not! I wanted a son! Someone who could continue my name! I want him to give me grandchildren but not this way! Never this way!"

 

"Please understand...our child is---"

 

"No! I'm sorry. I can't. He's a disgrace."

 

"Don't say that!"

 

"He's not my son! He will never be a son to me! He was just a one big misfit!"

 

April 4, 2012

8:32 P.M.

The number you are calling cannot be reach...

 

He flipped the phone shut and massaged his forehead. He's starting to feel kind of lightheaded from the alcohol he consumed but even that is not enough to stop the worry surging through him. Someone's not here yet. He's not here yet.

 

"Hiya, birthday boy!" someone clapped him from the back and he turned from the familiar voice and felt a short lived relief. He looked behind KyuHyun to see a certain brunet but failed and once again, the worry was back in full force. "What? Not happy to see me? I'm insulted."

 

"No...just. Where's Donghae?"

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"Donghae, your cousin, my best friend. Where is he? I've been calling him all night but I can't reach him. I tried calling mom but she won't pick up either so I---"

 

"You...Hyukjae, you don't know?" KyuHyun muttered in a grave tone. And those few words was enough to slightly make his knees buckle. Did something happen? To Donghae? It couldn't possibly be too serious, right? He just saw him yesterday in the dorms and---

 

"What...what happened to Donghae?"

 

"He left."

 

"Wha---"

 

"They moved out this morning. Donghae and auntie."

 

April 4, 2012

9:04 A.M.

"I'm sorry, mom," Donghae said, head turned down from guilt at dragging his mother in this mess he put himself in.

 

"For what, sweetheart? You did nothing wrong," came the ever loving reply.

 

"Everything's wrong. I---I got...I'm..." he stuttered, not knowing quite well how to finish the sentence when even the thought of it is making him sick. So he opted to shut his eyes till he could see white dots behind his eyelids, and dug his nails in his palms and allowed pain to take its course. It's much better. Than thinking ahead. Thinking what would happen next. Now that it's only him, his mother and...

 

"We'd get over it, Donghae. I'm with you, remember? Forever-ever," his mother said, placing a soft hand at the brunet's fisted hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

 

"Yeah," came the uncertain reply as he allowed himself to take a peek at the view of unending clouds. 

 

"Forever-ever."